Jayson Tatum

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Jayson Tatum

I thought he was supposed be better than Ingram, Kuzma, Lonzo and Hart combined. People, including some of our own fans, say we tend to overrate our players.

If the shoe fits.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

I guess availability has something do with it too.

Do we have any confidence that Lonzo/BI's bodies will hold up for a 100+ games regular season/playoff run?

Tatum has vastly underperformed, which was expected with Kyrie/Hayward returning too (remember how people complain that LBJ sucks the oxygen out of the room).
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Tatum has become the most overrated player in the NBA. People act as if he's a first-tier superstar.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
Tatum has become the most overrated player in the NBA. People act as if he's a first-tier superstar.

“People” must be you, because I haven’t seen anyone else say that. Tatum has a good career ahead of him, he is off to a good start.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:

Agree 100%. He had one good playoff run. Now that he's on a championship caliber team (in terms of talent), he's getting exposed by the Bucks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

But this is in comparison with our guys, no? They haven't been able to play 60 games a season for the past 2 years.

I do agree Tatum has been overrated by national media, but availability is quite important in basketball, especially if you're talking the playoffs. So if BI/Lonzo can improve their game, why can't Tatum?
aFFie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

I'm sure he has a good career ahead of him, but he looks average at best during this playoff series.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

I think he is a better player and a more clear/likely path to being an all star level player but the premise that he is more valuable than BI, Lonzo, Kuzma combined was ridiculous. I cant believe how many talking heads in the media casually brought that up as if was an indisputable fact during the AD trade talks.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

Tatum would only be the centerpiece of an AD trade, Boston would still have to include other young players. Which Laker would be the centerpiece of an AD trade?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
But this is in comparison with our guys, no? They haven't been able to play 60 games a season for the past 2 years.

I do agree Tatum has been overrated by national media, but availability is quite important in basketball, especially if you're talking the playoffs. So if BI/Lonzo can improve their game, why can't Tatum?

I don't think anyone is really trying to dump on Tatum, it's just a little vindication for those of us who had to constantly hear how Jason "the next Kobe" Tatum blows away all our young guys and it isn't close. I really like Tatum and think he'll have a great career.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Injuries have been the issue of our young players, I agree. But the national media touting him as a better player than all our players combined? And as Trablos said above, constantly hearing how he is so much better than every player in our core.

I am not saying he doesn't have a good future. But better than Kuzma, Ingram and Lonzo combined? The media was actually going with that narrative during the AD trade talks.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

Sophmore slump isn't unheard of. The promise he showed last year was that of a future All-Star. I'd take him right now over Lonzo or Kuz.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

we could've had Porzingis and Jason Tatum had we drafted right. oh well, carry on.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Tatum's numbers in the playoffs are down from last year, which is probably a better indicator of how good he is than his regular season stats.

You could argue that his scoring average dipping a couple points is because Irving wasn't around in last year's playoffs, but Tatum's shooting percentage is also lower this year.

I guess it's still possible he becomes an All Star someday, but right now Ingram is definitely better than him. I'd even argue that Kuzma is better than him right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: