What’s the best that the Lakers could realistically get in return for trading LeBron?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: What’s the best that the Lakers could realistically get in return for trading LeBron?

This is something I’m getting a lot of wildly different answers about, so was just curious to hear LG responses.

He’s still arguably Top 3, at worst Top 5 player in the league, but NBA contracts are tricky. And he’s 34.

Fire away.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130129/daily-dime

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Toronto does a sign and trade with Kawhi, where they include draft picks. Kawhi would do this, hypothetically, because of the contention that he doesn't want to come to a team to be second fiddle...this makes him first fiddle. Then the Lakers have room to add Kemba or Kyrie or possibly Durant with the remaining cap space. I think this has to be the best dream scenario. At least for the shorter term.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

more like philly for harris
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Toronto does a sign and trade with Kawhi, where they include draft picks. Kawhi would do this, hypothetically, because of the contention that he doesn't want to come to a team to be second fiddle...this makes him first fiddle. Then the Lakers have room to add Kemba or Kyrie or possibly Durant with the remaining cap space. I think this has to be the best dream scenario. At least for the shorter term.

Dream scenario indeed! I love it, but can’t see Kawhi leaving Toronto. He’s the first fiddle there too. And has a damn good team now playing deep into the playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Knicks could be an interesting package but many of ya'll wanting LeBron gone are acting like he is the issue and IMO that's wrong and not fair to him.

Like you said, he's at worst a top 5 player still and he's locked in. We have good young players, a lottery pick, and max cap space. Get him a good coach, try and sign Kawhi, Kyrie, or Butler (only somewhat realistic options), and either trade the young guys for another star (AD or Beal) or have a very talented and deep team that with the right pieces and coach, can actually come out of a Durant-less Western Conference.

We should be trying to trade Jeanie, The Rambii, and Pelinka. Those are the ones messing this up. Imagine if we had a functional front office with a clear PBO/Managment (see Clippers, Toronto, Spurs, Warriors, OKC) and we had the advantages/strengths we have? We'd easily be convincing someone to come here.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Knicks could be an interesting package but many of ya'll wanting LeBron gone are acting like he is the issue and IMO that's wrong and not fair to him.

Like you said, he's at worst a top 5 player still and he's locked in. We have good young players, a lottery pick, and max cap space. Get him a good coach, try and sign Kawhi, Kyrie, or Butler (only somewhat realistic options), and either trade the young guys for another star (AD or Beal) or have a very talented and deep team that with the right pieces and coach, can actually come out of a Durant-less Western Conference.

We should be trying to trade Jeanie, The Rambii, and Pelinka. Those are the ones messing this up. Imagine if we had a functional front office with a clear PBO/Managment (see Clippers, Toronto, Spurs, Warriors, OKC) and we had the advantages/strengths we have? We'd easily be convincing someone to come here.

Is he locked in? I haven’t seen any evidence of that. Maybe locked in on building his post basketball conglomerate in L.A.

That’s why he’s part of the problem. Yes, the FO definitely deserves it's share of criticism, but if you think that the massive cultural shift that came with having LeBron on the roster hasn’t negatively affected the entire team, then you are thinking this is a video game.

BTW - how could the Knicks offer an interesting package? Sign & trade for KD?

kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
2019 wrote:

Is he locked in? I haven’t seen any evidence of that. Maybe locked in on building his post basketball conglomerate in L.A.

That’s why he’s part of the problem. Yes, the FO definitely deserves it's share of criticism, but if you think that the massive cultural shift that came with having LeBron on the roster hasn’t negatively affected the entire team, then you are thinking this is a video game.

BTW - how could the Knicks offer an interesting package? Sign & trade for KD?

I'll take that #1 pick if they get it and are stupid enough to trade it for lebron. Zion is the future, lebron is the past.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Why would Kawhi want to be traded to a worse team?
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

Zion!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

The most likely return on a James trade is getting raked over the coals by the media. Even if it makes the most sense for the Lakers.

The James to LA move was misguided from the start. IMO a business move over a bball move. James has always been a a win now option, Lakers are not in that position yet. And highly unlikely would be even with all the speculated trades and FA signings. All the dominoes had to fall perfectly, obviously they haven't.

In reality there are only a couple teams that make any sense. The teams on the cusp of contending but just can't get over the hump. But with the identity, culture and assets to make a move.

A rebuilding team (even offering a far fetched #1) is not an option. James would be heading to a Hou, GS, Tor, Mil, Bos, 76ers etc. Likely for a couple players and a pick or two. Hopefully a 2nd tier mid 20s player, an aging glue guy and a late 1st round pick or two. Assets to reboot the rebuild over the next couple years.

Some preferences of loose frameworks of deals. Not by any means "fair" but would help the Lakers. Also realize some players are FAs. Just trying to capture what I would prefer happen if forced to trade James.

HOU- Capela, Gordon, 1st
GS- Thompson, (Looney, Jones or Bell) , 1st
TOR- Siakam, (Meeks, Green or Van Fleet), 1st
76ers- (Butler or Harris) , Boban, (Z. Smith or Milton), 1st
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

If and only if LBJ asks for a trade do you do it. You will be relegating the Lakers to a nuclear winter otherwise.

And if you trade him, IMO, that means we are back to the bottom of the hill begging top FAs to join an otherwise unproven team led by two players who combined missed over 50+ games last season.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

No top free agent will come after we trade LBJ. Thus if we were really going to trade him, we should be eyeing the future and I will focus on young talent for example like Simmons or Tatum. Both 76ers and Celtics will become championship contender once they add LBJ.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If and only if LBJ asks for a trade do you do it. You will be relegating the Lakers to a nuclear winter otherwise.

And if you trade him, IMO, that means we are back to the bottom of the hill begging top FAs to join an otherwise unproven team led by two players who combined missed over 50+ games last season.

Obviously a PR nightmare, but I’m not as pessimistic that the Lakers become a FA wasteland. Lakers are getting other players/ assets in return. Also still have the cap to convince a 2nd tier free agent or two to join a deep team with the hope of building chemistry.

First they need to get their heads out of their asses and bring some stability to the ownership/ FO/ coaching positions. It would take some accountability of “we made a mistake “ that I’m not sure they have the awareness to achieve.

At this point, I’m not even a little optimistic they can fix this fiasco and add enough pieces quickly enough to make this James plan workable. It will be interesting to see if they can salvage it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Obviously a PR nightmare, but I’m not as pessimistic that the Lakers become a FA wasteland. Lakers are getting other players/ assets in return. Also still have the cap to convince a 2nd tier free agent or two to join a deep team with the hope of building chemistry.

First they need to get their heads out of their asses and bring some stability to the ownership/ FO/ coaching positions. It would take some accountability of “we made a mistake “ that I’m not sure they have the awareness to achieve.

At this point, I’m not even a little optimistic they can fix this fiasco and add enough pieces quickly enough to make this James plan workable. It will be interesting to see if they can salvage it

No, highly doubt any top FAs will join this mess if they spent basically 5 years trying to punt cap space to get LBJ, then mess it up completely and then want to beg you to join them? Nah. I'd avoid that situation.

The best recruiter IMO this summer will be LBJ. He will be the reason a top FA comes. Y'all are missing this major point. You think Lonzo/BI alone are going to draw a top FA? Of course not.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

It's not hard to get LBJ to ask for a trade, just simply carry on doing business how you want and either he gets on board, which is a good thing, or he doesn't and then asks to go somewhere else.

He could go passive aggressive and just go down with the ship, but I think he'll care too much about his legacy and want one more good run somewhere.

Again, I wouldn't be rude or disrespectful, but I'd make the moves I wanted and not necessarily what Klutch wanted.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No, highly doubt any top FAs will join this mess if they spent basically 5 years trying to punt cap space to get LBJ, then mess it up completely and then want to beg you to join them? Nah. I'd avoid that situation.

The best recruiter IMO this summer will be LBJ. He will be the reason a top FA comes. Y'all are missing this major point. You think Lonzo/BI alone are going to draw a top FA? Of course not.

Right now Boston looks like a mess, OKC looks like a mess... even Philly looked in disarray until last night's win.

It doesn't take much to make a great franchise look bad... but it doesn't take much to make us look good again. We looked good for a minute when we signed Nash and Dwight... we looked good when we signed LBJ.

The thing you have to sell free agents on is that you have identified the problem and are willing to fix it... and they will be the savior of the franchise.

I agree we look bad right now, but it can be rectified if the leadership can admit their mistakes and show they are willing to make changes to fix it.

I don't buy that no one will want to come here... they just need one steadying hand on the rudder and we'll be fine.

Heck, if LBJ recruits Kawhi we'll be back in the driver's seat... it can all change that quickly.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

After so many years that we came back empty handed in free agency market, finally we got one max player last year. Suddenly people have the delusions that we are back on business again despite having an inexperienced front office. We might not even have a coach when the free agency starts. I don't understand where the optimistic comes from.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

If you trade him, you wouldn't be begging top FAs to join you. You'd build through your youth (again), and try to find FAs that are a 4th or 5th wheel that might benefit from an increased role.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

76ERS: Ben Simmons (but not sure Klutch would allow)

CLIPPERS: Shai, Shamet, maybe Harrell, and picks

KNICKS: Top5 Pick, Robinson, Trier

NETS: LeVert and Dinwiddie
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

Trading LeBron would mean that D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr., Julius Randle and others were traded/let go for nothing.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
more like philly for harris

Hmm dude who averaged 27.4 (51% fg), 8.5, 8.3, and 1.3 and has been a perennial finals player or some dude who is averaging 15.5, 9.4, 4.1, and 1.1 in the playoffs on 41.8% shooting... and who is also a free agent this summer...

Lebron is not getting traded. If he did get traded it would be be another hole in the Lakers sinking ship.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't buy that no one will want to come here... they just need one steadying hand on the rudder and we'll be fine.

And trading LBJ b/c you can't get your (bleep) together is not proof of that.

It's like buying a Ferrari and realizing you can't drive stick shift.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Trading LeBron would mean that D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr., Julius Randle and others were traded/let go for nothing.

Not if another agent like Kawhi or KD wanted to come in his place.

The problem with LBJ (if he doesn't recruit Kyrie or Kawhi) is that others haven't shown a desire to play with him.

If he recruits one of those then he's worth the circus.

If he doesn't then trading him would mean not only a collection of young assets or picks, but a chance at a different agent.

It's not risk free... but it doesn't mean we traded them for nothing... Yet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If you trade him, you wouldn't be begging top FAs to join you. You'd build through your youth (again), and try to find FAs that are a 4th or 5th wheel that might benefit from an increased role.

And when BI asks for a 27m max, then Lonzo/Kuz the year after?
GRE4T ONE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

Lebron and Jeanie for an expiring contract!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: