What’s the best that the Lakers could realistically get in return for trading LeBron?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
danzag wrote:
Trading LeBron would mean that D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr., Julius Randle and others were traded/let go for nothing.

Not if another agent like Kawhi or KD wanted to come in his place.

The problem with LBJ (if he doesn't recruit Kyrie or Kawhi) is that others haven't shown a desire to play with him.

If he recruits one of those then he's worth the circus.

If he doesn't then trading him would mean not only a collection of young assets or picks, but a chance at a different agent.

It's not risk free... but it doesn't mean we traded them for nothing... Yet.

I just don't get why some folks think other players in the NBA give a rat's azz about whether we trade lebron or not. Personally, I think some will deep down get a kick out of him getting a taste of his own medicine for once. I seriously don't get the feeling that lebron is liked much around the NBA. Of course his paid media plants will blast us, but I think other NBA players are hip to that too. KD can't be the only player in the NBA that sees it.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
danzag wrote:
Trading LeBron would mean that D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr., Julius Randle and others were traded/let go for nothing.

The problem with LBJ (if he doesn't recruit Kyrie or Kawhi) is that others haven't shown a desire to play with him.

If he doesn't then trading him would mean not only a collection of young assets or picks, but a chance at a different agent.

I just don't get why some folks think other players in the NBA give a rat's azz about whether we trade lebron or not. Personally, I think some will deep down get a kick out of him getting a taste of his own medicine for one. I seriously don't get the feeling that ebron is liked much around the NBA.

I agree... it's like when you see a dad actually act like a dad instead of like a friend. I'm not saying any grown men in the NBA should be treated like children... but a lot of players would respect a strong hand.

The reason we are disrespected is because the owners/leaders don't have a strong vision so prospective agents think they'd be almost working for LBJ and his whims. If they saw a central power who would insulate them from another player's personal agenda... it would probably be appealing.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr., Julius Randle

And that team doesn't make the playoffs in the West either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
kwase wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
danzag wrote:

I just don't get why some folks think other players in the NBA give a rat's azz about whether we trade lebron or not. Personally, I think some will deep down get a kick out of him getting a taste of his own medicine for one. I seriously don't get the feeling that ebron is liked much around the NBA.

I agree... it's like when you see a dad actually act like a dad instead of like a friend. I'm not saying any grown men in the NBA should be treated like children... but a lot of players would respect a strong hand.

The reason we are disrespected is because the owners/leaders don't have a strong vision so prospective agents think they'd be almost working for LBJ and his whims. If they saw a central power who would insulate them from another player's personal agenda... it would probably be appealing.

It tells us we don't know how to properly run a franchise. Again, like buying a Ferrari and realizing we can't drive stick shift. Shows incompetence.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
kwase wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
danzag wrote:

It tells us we don't know how to properly run a franchise. Again, like buying a Ferrari and realizing we can't drive stick shift. Shows incompetence.

No it's more like realizing the maintenance of the old, once great car is a money pit and better to sell it at the top of its value for some newer nice cars that aren't quite as great and still have money left over to allow you to purchase a Lamborghini.

I'm still holding out hope that LBJ lands us Kawhi or Kyrie... if he doesn't... it's going to be a long three years.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Any different then all the plotting and grandiose statements to sign James only to still not win a championship?

What is done is done. They either find a way to position the Lakers in serious contention this season. Or it is just as much “for nothing”.

Do you see a path this season to the Finals?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
No it's more like realizing the maintenance of the old, once great car is a money pit and better to sell it at the top of its value for some newer nice cars that aren't quite as great and still have money left over to allow you to purchase a Lamborghini.

I'm still holding out hope that LBJ lands us Kawhi or Kyrie... if he doesn't... it's going to be a long three years.

Not really, especially if the same structure that WANTED LBJ trade him off b/c they suddenly realized they can't do what it takes to build around him. I mean, was it a secret he was turning 34 and that he needed shooters around him instead of Rondo/Lance?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Not really, especially if the same structure that WANTED LBJ trade him off b/c they suddenly realized they can't do what it takes to build around him. I mean, was it a secret he was turning 34 and that he needed shooters around him instead of Rondo/Lance?

The crux of the plan was the two elites.

If the second elite doesn't want to play with LBJ... the other minor details are less important.

I love LBJ the player... I just worry about LBJ the GM.

You can say he has no effect on the personnel, but I think management at least ran those agents by him

I'm not going to give up on him until we see what happens with Kawhi and Kyrie... but if Harris is the only agent left for us... then yes, I think the trade is not a crazy idea.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Lebron for Beal & 1st round pick
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

We'll know by mid July whether the LBJ plan has any hope of succeeding. Either we land a top-5 FA to complement the King, or we don't. If the latter, I would support trading LeBron.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Knicks could be an interesting package but many of ya'll wanting LeBron gone are acting like he is the issue and IMO that's wrong and not fair to him.

Like you said, he's at worst a top 5 player still and he's locked in. We have good young players, a lottery pick, and max cap space. Get him a good coach, try and sign Kawhi, Kyrie, or Butler (only somewhat realistic options), and either trade the young guys for another star (AD or Beal) or have a very talented and deep team that with the right pieces and coach, can actually come out of a Durant-less Western Conference.

We should be trying to trade Jeanie, The Rambii, and Pelinka. Those are the ones messing this up. Imagine if we had a functional front office with a clear PBO/Managment (see Clippers, Toronto, Spurs, Warriors, OKC) and we had the advantages/strengths we have? We'd easily be convincing someone to come here.

It's not about Bron being the issue. They are interviewing JB Bickerstaff!!!!! So do you get it? Unless, they are quarterbacking this search with Lebron, and get a guy he's comfortable with, then what they're doing is hoping Lebron asks for a trade.

I am 100% sure Buss is currently pondering moving Lebron.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

If the second elite doesn't want to play with LBJ... the other minor details are less important.

You can say he has no effect on the personnel, but I think management at least ran those agents by him

I'm not going to give up on him until we see what happens with Kawhi and Kyrie... but if Harris is the only agent left for us... then yes, I think the trade is not a crazy idea.

I'd argue that LBJ is the only reason why we are in the KL sweepstakes at all. I doubt he comes if the main guys trying to persuade him to join are Lonzo/BI/Kuz.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I'd argue that LBJ is the only reason why we are in the KL sweepstakes at all. I doubt he comes if the main guys trying to persuade him to join are Lonzo/BI/Kuz.

If he lands Kawhi, then it's worth putting up with Klutch for three or even five years.

If he lands us no one, then it's not.

Just my opinion.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

It's not realistic to trade Lebron James unless LBJ asks for the trade.

If you do that, there will never be another top tier free agent that signs with the Lakers.

Might as well just sell the team.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

If you do that, there will never be another top tier free agent that signs with the Lakers.

The social media generation has the attention span of a gnat.

We'd be poison for one news cycle and then it would be business as usual.

That being said, we should treat him with respect and not blind side him... but I disagree that it would be a death blow.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

That being said, we should treat him with respect and not blind side him... but I disagree that it would be a death blow.

Why would another top FA take the plunge that LBJ did then? We would all but be conceding we don't know how to operate at a high level. Like when my kids want me to get a pet at the store that I know we have no way of keeping.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Why would another top FA take the plunge that LBJ did then? We would all but be conceding we don't know how to operate at a high level. Like when my kids want me to get a pet at the store that I know we have no way of keeping.

Some agents would probably be put off, but others think in terms of city and lifestyle.

It's not ideal obviously, but you overestimate the critical thinking of many of the players.

They aren't prized interns seeking work at Johns Hopkins. Some think like that... but others would think in terms of the women and the fame.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Some agents would probably be put off, but others think in terms of city and lifestyle.

It's not ideal obviously, but you overestimate the critical thinking of many of the players.

They aren't prized interns seeking work at Johns Hopkins. Some think like that... but others would think in terms of the women and the fame.

Disagree. The critical thinking is "damn, they couldn't make things work out frickin' LBJ, why do I think things will work out for me?"

It's really simple man.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Disagree. The critical thinking is "damn, they couldn't make things work out frickin' LBJ, why do I think things will work out for me?"

It's really simple man.

Or, I'm the star of the biggest metropolitan city in America.

I'm not saying we shouldn't aspire to be professional... but I wish the general public actually thought like you are describing.

We wouldn't be in this mess that we are in as a nation right now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I'm not saying we shouldn't aspire to be professional... but I wish the general public actually thought like you are describing.

Then why wouldn't he go to the Clippers? They have way less drama, a well-respected head coach, really good front office, and a possibility of a 2nd max if they salary dump Gallo.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Then why wouldn't he go to the Clippers? They have way less drama, a well-respected head coach, really good front office, and a possibility of a 2nd max if they salary dump Gallo.

I would think a major goal of his is to defeat Pop, so his decision to leave was justified in the mind of the public.

LBJ probably gives him more hope than the Clippers of defeating him.

He could combine with Durant... but KD's even more of a drama queen.

He's been carrying Toronto by himself half the time. If he comes here he'll share the load with LBJ.

If he goes to the Clippers he goes to a more diluted team that had to make room for Durant or has no Durant at all... in which case is more like the Raptors.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

Paul George...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If and only if LBJ asks for a trade do you do it. You will be relegating the Lakers to a nuclear winter otherwise.

And if you trade him, IMO, that means we are back to the bottom of the hill begging top FAs to join an otherwise unproven team led by two players who combined missed over 50+ games last season.

If you trade him, you wouldn't be begging top FAs to join you. You'd build through your youth (again), and try to find FAs that are a 4th or 5th wheel that might benefit from an increased role.

And when BI asks for a 27m max, then Lonzo/Kuz the year after?

Depends on how they play. You aren't going to avoid that situation by bringing in a different top FA.

The difference is you would have given the youth the best opportunity to prove themselves.

Last edited by ringfinger on Fri May 10, 2019 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I would think a major goal of his is to defeat Pop, so his decision to leave was justified in the mind of the public.

LBJ probably gives him more hope than the Clippers of defeating him.

He could combine with Durant... but KD's even more of a drama queen.

He's been carrying Toronto by himself half the time. If he comes here he'll share the load with LBJ.

If he goes to the Clippers he goes to a more diluted team that had to make room for Durant or has no Durant at all... in which case is more like the Raptors.
'
But aren't you saying this in the context of LBJ being traded out so KL would be interested in joining the Lakers?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If and only if LBJ asks for a trade do you do it. You will be relegating the Lakers to a nuclear winter otherwise.

And if you trade him, IMO, that means we are back to the bottom of the hill begging top FAs to join an otherwise unproven team led by two players who combined missed over 50+ games last season.

If you trade him, you wouldn't be begging top FAs to join you. You'd build through your youth (again), and try to find FAs that are a 4th or 5th wheel that might benefit from an increased role.

And when BI asks for a 27m max, then Lonzo/Kuz the year after?

Depends on how they play.

Well exactly. And we have yet to re-sign a lottery pick. Jules/DLO gone. BI up next.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: