The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1126, 1127, 1128 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
King Randle wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

He brought some of the circus to town with him. So hard to put all the dysfunction simply on the Lakers FO.

Is it? Because the Buss kids weren't a dysfunctional family and management organization prior to Lebron showing up? I must have imagined the years of public fighting between Jeanie and Jim.

Whats happening right now is all on the FO.

Yep

Hilarious.

For 20 years whenever something was wrong with the Lakers or we didn't win a championship, it was always Kobe's fault, per the media and a lot of fans on this very board.

Now all of a sudden when it's LeBron's time in the spotlight (a guy who hasn't done jacksquat for our franchise) it's the dysfunctional front office that is to blame.

The LeBron apologist mentality of the media has infected this fandom.

How the fact that LINDA (bleep) RAMBIS is making basketball decisions has anything to do with LeBron James?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Kawhi and Giannis are the best 2 way players in the league. It is hard for me to picture Kawhi leaving Toronto for this dumpster fire.

I was once optimistic about getting him after he bought a 24 million dollar spread in SD, but this org has to make Canada look good by this point. I just pray he doesn't sign with the Clippers. That'll be a new low.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
You know Jeff Bezos can be the KING of LA if he just swooped in with The Godfather offer that Anschutz and Shiong can’t even compete with....

$10 BILLION straight cash homie!

I don't think he cares about being King of LA when he's already King of the (bleep) World lol.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Batguano wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
King Randle wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

He brought some of the circus to town with him. So hard to put all the dysfunction simply on the Lakers FO.

Is it? Because the Buss kids weren't a dysfunctional family and management organization prior to Lebron showing up? I must have imagined the years of public fighting between Jeanie and Jim.

Whats happening right now is all on the FO.

Yep

Hilarious.

For 20 years whenever something was wrong with the Lakers or we didn't win a championship, it was always Kobe's fault, per the media and a lot of fans on this very board.

Now all of a sudden when it's LeBron's time in the spotlight (a guy who hasn't done jacksquat for our franchise) it's the dysfunctional front office that is to blame.

The LeBron apologist mentality of the media has infected this fandom.

How the fact that LINDA (bleep) RAMBIS is making basketball decisions has anything to do with LeBron James?

How the fact that JIM (bleep) BUSS is making basketball decisions has anything to do with Kobe Bryant?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Kawhi and Giannis are the best 2 way players in the league. It is hard for me to picture Kawhi leaving Toronto for this dumpster fire.

He is a genuine weirdo, though. Maybe he lives in a hole and is oblivious to what a cluster (bleep) this franchise is.

Kawhi isn't a weirdo. He seems like a genuine good dude, soft-hearted, no airs, respectful, no airs, maybe even child-like by nature? He hasn't changed much since his pre-draft days, despite becoming a star. I also think he's probably very observant TBH.

Since he grew up as a Lakers/Kobe fan, I think he'd be like a kid in a candy shop if we pursued him as the star he is, made him our #1 guy, and treated him as family if he decides to sign (this last one seems most important to him because everything went south with the Spurs once they started questioning him and the injury). The Clippers can do all of this too... but I think it would be an excellent chapter in his story to end up being the star at the team he grew up liking. Well, that is my hope anyway. I don't really care about whatever is going on with the coaching selection TBH... signing Kawhi is the one thing the FO cannot afford to screw up. We have to sign him at all costs. If the optics with the coaching selection are bad, they need to speak to him or his uncle and do whatever is needed to overcome it. We also need LeBron to step back as the #2 (or #1b?) guy on the court... he can be #1 guy when it comes to handling the media.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
YSong wrote:
You know Jeff Bezos can be the KING of LA if he just swooped in with The Godfather offer that Anschutz and Shiong can’t even compete with....

$10 BILLION straight cash homie!

I don't think he cares about being King of LA when he's already King of the (bleep) World lol.

He’s still missing a marquee sports team
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Here’s Ramona on Phil Jackson getting involved:

https://twitter.com/unwrittenrul3s/status/1127422009304969217?s=21

Quote:
Ramona on Phil involved: “Accurate, if you look at where they ended up it mirrors the Knicks coaching search. What Rambis & Phil learned from the Knicks was the destructive nature of what oversize superstardom could do to your team. They had Melo who had a NTC, LeBron doesn't."

Sounds like Phil and Kurt are the “persons closest to Jeanie” advising her to trade Bron.

We really are becoming the Knicks.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
Ramona on Phil involved: “Accurate, if you look at where they ended up it mirrors the Knicks coaching search. What Rambis & Phil learned from the Knicks was the destructive nature of what oversize superstardom could do to your team. They had Melo who had a NTC, LeBron doesn't."

Sounds like Phil and Kurt are the “persons closest to Jeanie” advising her to trade Bron.

The difference is LBJ is vastly more Productive. Jeannie is also thinner skinned unlike Dolan.

She wants to be loved and trading LBJ won’t exactly earn that.

BTW the contact that gave me the Vogel news said the LeBron trade stuff is just the media trying to create a story.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:

The difference is LBJ is vastly more Productive. Jeannie is also thinner skinned unlike Dolan.

She wants to be loved and trading LBJ won’t exactly earn that.

BTW the contact that gave me the Vogel news said the LeBron trade stuff is just the media trying to create a story.

Sweet!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I think the FO resents Lebron and can't wait to move on from him. I approach everything they do now as trying to insulate themselves and attack anyone who would question their leadership. I have to think there are some loud whispers behind the scenes from the minority owners and maybe the remaining Buss children that this can't keep going on. These moves are Jeanie's Deng and Mozgov - they seem to be reactive and coming from some kind of misguided sense of desperation.

Now watch the leaks of them looking to trade Lebron get louder... especially if they don't get a second max this summer. Just think about the fact that you have a superstar on your team who apparently had no influence, and wasnt even likely seriously asked about, who his head coach would be.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think the FO resents Lebron and can't wait to move on from him. I approach everything they do now as trying to insulate themselves and attack anyone who would question their leadership. I have to think there are some loud whispers behind the scenes from the minority owners and maybe the remaining Buss children that this can't keep going on. These moves are Jeanie's Deng and Mozgov - they seem to be reactive and coming from some kind of misguided sense of desperation.

Now watch the leaks of them looking to trade Lebron get louder... especially if they don't get a second max this summer. Just think about the fact that you have a superstar on your team who apparently had no influence, and wasnt even likely seriously asked about, who his head coach would be.

I believe this is wishful thinking from the Anti-Jeanie crowd. Given that she made her bones turning the Lakers into one of the profit centers of the league, and seeing how she had the org debase itself chasing D12, she knows how invaluable LeBron (or any marquee player) is to the team financially.

For all of the bashing that she gets - the misogyny, the attempts to portray a 60-year old business woman as a fawning, simpering teenager - the woman has shown that she knows how to monetize the Lakers brand. How ever stupid you may think she is, she is not going to do anything to hurt her financial bottom line.

15 yahoos with crayon signs in front of the Staples Center and the twelve hundred bucks (combined) that they spend on the Lakers will neither make her sell the team or trade LeBron. All of the "fans" who are burning candles in hopes that the team will go 0-82 and shame Jeanie would do better to just keep burning trees in their mothers' basements and root for the Lakers to sign the right plsyers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I believe this is wishful thinking from the Anti-Jeanie crowd. Given that she made her bones turning the Lakers into one of the profit centers of the league.

Stopped at that point, we can’t give Jeanie credit for Dr. Buss’ successes. The organizations that he did put her in charge of failed. All of them.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I believe this is wishful thinking from the Anti-Jeanie crowd. Given that she made her bones turning the Lakers into one of the profit centers of the league.

Stopped at that point, we can’t give Jeanie credit for Dr. Buss’ successes. The organizations that he did put her in charge of failed. All of them.

So . . . you're stunned that Team Tennis & Roller Hockey failed?

Dr. Buss bought those franchises to give Jeanie the opportunity to learn the business side of sports. She did.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-nov-24-tm-buss47-story.html

Quote:
Perceiving that Jeanie was the logical choice to fill his shoes, Jerry Buss tested her early. When Jeanie was 19 and one year into her pursuit of a business degree at USC, her father gave her a summer job: general manager of the Strings. He immediately told her to call up McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, then two of the best tennis players in the world, and get them to play a match at the Forum.

An impossible task for a 19-year-old? "I didn't know any better," Jeanie recalls. "I figured, 'If Dr. Buss [she refers to him by his preferred title] says he thinks I can do it, I must be able to do it.' If he never doubted me, how could anyone else? It was only later that I thought, 'What the hell was I doing?' " It took a couple of years of being "annoying to the point of being ridiculous," as Jeanie now concedes, but Connors and McEnroe finally agreed to the match. It grossed $462,000, establishing a new gate-receipt record for the Forum.

Quote:
By early 1995, as Jeanie was about to splash across the pages of Hefner's magazine, the job of running the Forum opened up. "As your employer, I am offering you this position," Jerry told his oldest daughter. "But as your father, I am advising you not to take it." Jerry was thinking of the magnitude and complexity of the job, a job which required 12- to 14-hour days. She took the job, but the timing was terrible. Jeanie was stepping into an important administrative position, trying to earn the respect of her employees, and at the same time was appearing in a skin magazine.

She also stepped into the middle of a labor dispute involving Forum stagehands. It got so bitter that Jeanie was advised, for safety reasons, to stop driving her own car to work. Just down the freeway, the nonunion Arrowhead Pond was opening up, offering lower production costs and stiff competition for the Forum.

She stayed on the job for four years and successfully handled the union negotiations. "She's sharp," says Lon Rosen, an agent who has negotiated with the Buss family over the years while representing clients ranging from Johnson to Rambis. "She has learned the ropes. Her dad has made her work very, very hard. People thought she wasn't anything more than just the boss's daughter, but I've seen her grow."

Finally, in 1999, with the Lakers abandoning the Forum for Staples Center, her father told her she was ready to take on the Lakers. "Have you proved to yourself that you can do this?" he asked. "Because you never had to prove it to me."

Bash her all you want, but her business skills are unquestionable.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I hope LeBron got his plane tickets to Toronto or that he is already in Kawhi’s hotel room

Or I guess this will do for now: https://twitter.com/kingjames/status/1127748777778061313?s=21
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

[quote="non-player zealot"]
LakerLanny wrote:

I

Lebron and Durant are still the two best players in the game.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

So . . . you're stunned that Team Tennis & Roller Hockey failed?

Dr. Buss bought those franchises to give Jeanie the opportunity to learn the business side of sports. She did.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-nov-24-tm-buss47-story.html

Quote:
Perceiving that Jeanie was the logical choice to fill his shoes, Jerry Buss tested her early. When Jeanie was 19 and one year into her pursuit of a business degree at USC, her father gave her a summer job: general manager of the Strings. He immediately told her to call up McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, then two of the best tennis players in the world, and get them to play a match at the Forum.

An impossible task for a 19-year-old? "I didn't know any better," Jeanie recalls. "I figured, 'If Dr. Buss [she refers to him by his preferred title] says he thinks I can do it, I must be able to do it.' If he never doubted me, how could anyone else? It was only later that I thought, 'What the hell was I doing?' " It took a couple of years of being "annoying to the point of being ridiculous," as Jeanie now concedes, but Connors and McEnroe finally agreed to the match. It grossed $462,000, establishing a new gate-receipt record for the Forum.

Quote:
By early 1995, as Jeanie was about to splash across the pages of Hefner's magazine, the job of running the Forum opened up. "As your employer, I am offering you this position," Jerry told his oldest daughter. "But as your father, I am advising you not to take it." Jerry was thinking of the magnitude and complexity of the job, a job which required 12- to 14-hour days. She took the job, but the timing was terrible. Jeanie was stepping into an important administrative position, trying to earn the respect of her employees, and at the same time was appearing in a skin magazine.

She also stepped into the middle of a labor dispute involving Forum stagehands. It got so bitter that Jeanie was advised, for safety reasons, to stop driving her own car to work. Just down the freeway, the nonunion Arrowhead Pond was opening up, offering lower production costs and stiff competition for the Forum.

She stayed on the job for four years and successfully handled the union negotiations. "She's sharp," says Lon Rosen, an agent who has negotiated with the Buss family over the years while representing clients ranging from Johnson to Rambis. "She has learned the ropes. Her dad has made her work very, very hard. People thought she wasn't anything more than just the boss's daughter, but I've seen her grow."

Finally, in 1999, with the Lakers abandoning the Forum for Staples Center, her father told her she was ready to take on the Lakers. "Have you proved to yourself that you can do this?" he asked. "Because you never had to prove it to me."

Bash her all you want, but her business skills are unquestionable.

If "her business skills are unquestionable", why can't Jeanie make a bleeping decision? Why does she need her little inner circle to make her decisions? Why can't she figure out to hire qualified people to hold certain positions.......like her Dad did?

You really think that making repeated telephone calls over 2 years shows she has "business skills"? I bet VLF could have closed the deal in 1 day!
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

[quote="mj32"]
non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I

read again
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

[quote="Al13"]
mj32 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I

read again

nah.....

Lebron aint top 5....

I would put Giannis, PG13, Leonard, Embiid and KD all above him.... Than you have all the guards that I didn't mention potentially too.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

[quote="Kobesystem"]
Al13 wrote:
mj32 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I

read again

nah.....

Lebron aint top 5....

I would put Giannis, PG13, Leonard, Embiid and KD all above him.... Than you have all the guards that I didn't mention potentially too.

Lebron is top 5.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

[quote="LBJ23"]
Kobesystem wrote:
Al13 wrote:
mj32 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I

read again

nah.....

Lebron aint top 5....

Lebron is top 5.

Embiid is not.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

KD, Kawhi, and Giannis are better than Bron now imo. Arguments can be made for a few other guys too. He's still Top 10 at least. Maybe somewhere between 4th and 7th best.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
KD, Kawhi, and Giannis are better than Bron now imo. Arguments can be made for a few other guys too. He's still Top 10 at least.

This is kind of being prisoners of the moment because Lebron isn't in the playoffs though. Last season he dominated through the east and I think he would have again if he went to the Sixers this past season instead of LA and we would be having a different conversation
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

kawhi wanted to sign with us last summer because of magic. Now all of a sudden its totally the clippers....i am not buying it. Cris Carter on first things first did indicate he like the organization with jerry west. That was the main focus....jerry west. (i could kill magic and jeanie for that) But i still say if you put jason kidd, kobe, lebron magic and kurt rambis in the room with him (all former players, i think we would win....He doesnt care about the hollywood stuff.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
KD, Kawhi, and Giannis are better than Bron now imo. Arguments can be made for a few other guys too. He's still Top 10 at least. Maybe somewhere between 4th and 7th best.

Steph Curry continues to be underrated
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
KD, Kawhi, and Giannis are better than Bron now imo. Arguments can be made for a few other guys too. He's still Top 10 at least.

This is kind of being prisoners of the moment because Lebron isn't in the playoffs though. Last season he dominated through the east and I think he would have again if he went to the Sixers this past season instead of LA and we would be having a different conversation

I feel like the Cavs version of Bron is gone, though. Even before his injury, he seemed slower and less explosive than even that final season with Cleveland.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1126, 1127, 1128 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1127 of 2079
Jump to: