Lakers fans trying to organize protest on Friday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3732

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject:

Hats off and thanks to the fans who took their time to go to Staples Center yesterday to show their frustration with what's been going on with the team. What we've been witnessing recently is a sorry state of affairs indeed for what has always been regarded as one of the greatest franchises in the history of pro sports.

Lakers fans have been beyond patient of late, and that's thanks to all of the goodwill which was built up across decades by the great players, coaches, management and owners who helped build the Lakers brand into one of the most recognizable on the planet. But since Dr. Buss passed away and Kobe tore his achilles while playing his heart and guts out to drag a shaky squad into the playoffs, things have gone from unsettled to downright unsettling.

In this 50-year Lakers fan's opinion, it seems that rather soon might be a good time to hear publicly from the person at the top, Ms. Jeanie Buss. One might think that she might want to do a sit-down interview with a hand-picked interviewer she considers friendly, so that she might try to calm the waters a bit and reassure the fans that the organization isn't really going off the rails and that it's all just a figment of Lakers' fans whose imaginations are too overactive.

During said interview, if it ever actually takes place, Ms. Buss might also want to explain in detail the roles of Mr./Ms. Rambis in the Laker hierarchy, including their respective (and hopefully accurate) titles, and what the organization's expectations of them are. Just so that the pesky fans who invest their time, passion and money into Ms. Buss' basketball team know who's responsible for doing what.

The glacial pace of the Lakers current "coaching search" and the silence of Ms. Buss are not helping the overall look of the org right now. Just in case anyone in the org is confused about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 12354
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
@LBP

They have every right to do whatever they please. They are also subject to judgment on their desire for publicity.

My humble judgement: disorganized man babies.


It does not sound too disorganized.

They got their story on ESPN and other radio sports talk hosts were there.

They had a modest amount of fans.

They also paid the necessary permit to conduct this protest.

That does not sound too disorganized to me.

He also was able to make his point which is the decision making in the FO.

This is nothing new but you have to applaud their effort.

Lakers protester: 'Nepotism shouldn't be involved'

"The organizer of a protest over the state of the Los Angeles Lakers says the issues with the team boil down to one thing: decision-making on a front-office level. . . ."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26718975/lakers-protester-nepotism-involved



ESPN is always open to trash the Lakers.
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1731

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

Wish the chants and signs had focussed more on getting The Rambii away from all decision-making and anything to do with basketball operations too.

Perhaps, the next time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 3370

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
@LBP

They have every right to do whatever they please. They are also subject to judgment on their desire for publicity.

My humble judgement: disorganized man babies.


Sure, judge away.

Calling them "dumbasses" sounds a bit over the top, especially when they're not hurting anyone.

I don't understand your level of vitriol.


Just calling a spade a spade, sir. Look, we are a Laker fandom: we discuss our team, we are persuaded to rationally discuss strategy and personnel; but we do not attack our team. Just because there is precedent that other teams do stupid dumbass sht, that doesn’t mean we should follow
other fandoms tendencies like freaking lemmings.

You know, they would have had more impact by calling into talk shows saying they’re not Lakers fans anymore. They’re not buying the merch, they’re not buying the tickets, or they’re not going to watch the games. after all... that’s the true power any of us have. But they put the colors on, entitled to the rights of ownership, and tried to use the media against our very franchise. Yes, those Lakers fans ... they acted as Lakers haters in my opinion; and that’s where my vitriol comes from. I’ve been here since birth, conceived by Laker fans. Ive been through dry times, Ive seen the confetti. I’ve seen the band wagoners come and go. And I’ve never seen a more entitled era of personality than right now. Posturing and “influencing” with no legitimacy. I’m not sorry for bruising egos. In fact some of us need to check ourselves. Not everyone with a podcast, not everyone with an iPhone and twitter account, not everyone on the talking heads ... they aren’t as powerful as they seem. And we need to see them for the flawed personalities they are. Myself included. The ones with the power in this privately owned venture are there to win. They’re not here to lose millions. There not here to miss the playoffs. Misguided maybe, but as they fail, as money is lost, only they can make the choice to bail or not. The franchise will survive regardless. Here. In. LA. FOREVER.
_________________
🥛 🍪


Last edited by €H£M£$TR¥ on Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1731

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

Live and let live. The protestors aren't harming anyone or anything... and their protest doesn't reflect on you as an individual (if that's bothering you)... so relax.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 3370

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

I’m relaxed, I’m just not in agreement with the douchebagz.
_________________
🥛 🍪
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 7624

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

They looked even worse than expected. I’m not even sure why they were protesting right now. Because we didn’t get Ty Lue? Seriously? Even we trade LeBron for picks or something I would get it but nothing protest worthy has happened recently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 12580

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
The glacial pace of the Lakers current "coaching search" and the silence of Ms. Buss are not helping the overall look of the org right now. Just in case anyone in the org is confused about that.


Best thing (from Jeanie's standpoint) is to be quiet and go to work. Sign a big time FA, have a good summer and move on. There is no positive outcome for her if she engages or acknowledges the protesters.

Meanwhile, if the team has a solid draft and makes a splash in early July, this is all forgotten by July 10.
_________________
Maginka is doing a good job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1731

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
I’m relaxed, I’m just not in agreement with the douchebagz.

If you're relaxed, then let live... as in let them do their thing. You've made it clear you disagree, if any of them are even on LG and reading this thread. What's the point in calling them douchebags? They're just fellow fans like you and I are. TBH I don't think a protest like this is going to accomplish anything... but hey, they're doing something and it's their time/money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 3370

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
I’m relaxed, I’m just not in agreement with the douchebagz.

If you're relaxed, then let live... as in let them do their thing. You've made it clear you disagree, if any of them are even on LG and reading this thread. What's the point in calling them douchebags? They're just fellow fans like you and I are. TBH I don't think a protest like this is going to accomplish anything... but hey, they're doing something and it's their time/money.


Fair enough.
_________________
🥛 🍪
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1731

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:

Fair enough.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 11968

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
They looked even worse than expected. I’m not even sure why they were protesting right now. Because we didn’t get Ty Lue? Seriously? Even we trade LeBron for picks or something I would get it but nothing protest worthy has happened recently.


This whole thing started when a reddit poster was dared to protest outside of staples. In less than two days they were in front of media cameras. Imagine if they actually had time to organize.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 3370

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

Indeed - imagine if they took the time to think...
_________________
🥛 🍪
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 7624

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
They looked even worse than expected. I’m not even sure why they were protesting right now. Because we didn’t get Ty Lue? Seriously? Even we trade LeBron for picks or something I would get it but nothing protest worthy has happened recently.


This whole thing started when a reddit poster was dared to protest outside of staples. In less than two days they were in front of media cameras. Imagine if they actually had time to organize.


Probably would’ve ended up even more embarrassing for the Lakers fan base. Just perpetuating the whiney SoCa/LAl stereotype.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5315

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
@LBP

They have every right to do whatever they please. They are also subject to judgment on their desire for publicity.

My humble judgement: disorganized man babies.


Sure, judge away.

Calling them "dumbasses" sounds a bit over the top, especially when they're not hurting anyone.

I don't understand your level of vitriol.


Just calling a spade a spade, sir. Look, we are a Laker fandom: we discuss our team, we are persuaded to rationally discuss strategy and personnel; but we do not attack our team. Just because there is precedent that other teams do stupid dumbass sht, that doesn’t mean we should follow
other fandoms tendencies like freaking lemmings.

You know, they would have had more impact by calling into talk shows saying they’re not Lakers fans anymore. They’re not buying the merch, they’re not buying the tickets, or they’re not going to watch the games. after all... that’s the true power any of us have. But they put the colors on, entitled to the rights of ownership, and tried to use the media against our very franchise. Yes, those Lakers fans ... they acted as Lakers haters in my opinion; and that’s where my vitriol comes from. I’ve been here since birth, conceived by Laker fans. Ive been through dry times, Ive seen the confetti. I’ve seen the band wagoners come and go. And I’ve never seen a more entitled era of personality than right now. Posturing and “influencing” with no legitimacy. I’m not sorry for bruising egos. In fact some of us need to check ourselves. Not everyone with a podcast, not everyone with an iPhone and twitter account, not everyone on the talking heads ... they aren’t as powerful as they seem. And we need to see them for the flawed personalities they are. Myself included. The ones with the power in this privately owned venture are there to win. They’re not here to lose millions. There not here to miss the playoffs. Misguided maybe, but as they fail, as money is lost, only they can make the choice to bail or not. The franchise will survive regardless. Here. In. LA. FOREVER.


Yeah, that's alot of anger.

Hopefully the protesters didn't ruin your weekend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5315

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
I’m relaxed, I’m just not in agreement with the douchebagz.

If you're relaxed, then let live... as in let them do their thing. You've made it clear you disagree, if any of them are even on LG and reading this thread. What's the point in calling them douchebags? They're just fellow fans like you and I are. TBH I don't think a protest like this is going to accomplish anything... but hey, they're doing something and it's their time/money.


Yup.

Well said.

It's like being upset because you saw someone put ketchup on their hot dog...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3732

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
The glacial pace of the Lakers current "coaching search" and the silence of Ms. Buss are not helping the overall look of the org right now. Just in case anyone in the org is confused about that.


Best thing (from Jeanie's standpoint) is to be quiet and go to work. Sign a big time FA, have a good summer and move on. There is no positive outcome for her if she engages or acknowledges the protesters.

Meanwhile, if the team has a solid draft and makes a splash in early July, this is all forgotten by July 10.


It wouldn’t be about the protestors. It would be Jeanie handling some much needed PR as the person who is running a Lakers org that looks chaotic at best right now. Jeanie’s been quiet for quite a while now. It seems sooner or later she will need to emerge from hiding and speak (and I don’t mean tweeting).

I agree with your comments that positive steps going forward will help settle things down. Let’s hope something positive materializes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 12580

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
The glacial pace of the Lakers current "coaching search" and the silence of Ms. Buss are not helping the overall look of the org right now. Just in case anyone in the org is confused about that.


Best thing (from Jeanie's standpoint) is to be quiet and go to work. Sign a big time FA, have a good summer and move on. There is no positive outcome for her if she engages or acknowledges the protesters.

Meanwhile, if the team has a solid draft and makes a splash in early July, this is all forgotten by July 10.


It wouldn’t be about the protestors. It would be Jeanie handling some much needed PR as the person who is running a Lakers org that looks chaotic at best right now. Jeanie’s been quiet for quite a while now. It seems sooner or later she will need to emerge from hiding and speak (and I don’t mean tweeting).

I agree with your comments that positive steps going forward will help settle things down. Let’s hope something positive materializes.


Sadly, I've had to work with crisis managers in the past. The good ones universally agree that the best response to negative PR is NO response, unless the matter is criminal.

If there are criminal or extremely heinous allegations, of course you come out with a hard denial. If the allegations are otherwise (incompetence, in this case), you let stuff die down, THEN begin quietly restoring your reputation. A few good business moves, some charity stuff, a positive earnings report, etc. But if you respond - even mildly - you run the risk of turning a trash can fire into the Towering Inferno.
_________________
Maginka is doing a good job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3732

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject:

Well I don’t know if it’s an inferno - yet - but where there’s smoke...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB