Official President of Basketball Operations Search Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Quote:
Ramona on Phil involved " Accurate, if you look at where they ended up it mirrors the Knicks coaching search. What Rambis & Phil learned from the Knicks was the destructive nature of what oversize superstardom could do to your team. They had Melo who had a NTC, LeBron doesn't."

This quote is just... boy. This one’s still marinating

I wonder if it's her opinion based on her deduction, or if she's been told that.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
danzag wrote:
So now it's clear what happened when Magic Johnson stepped down. That's what he was talking about when he mentioned "backstabbing".

It was not Pelinka, it was Phil Jackson using the Rambis' influence on Jeanie to make decisions for this franchise.

A member of another Lakers forum posted this about the whole backstabbing thing. He claims to have some sort of connection to AEG. I'm not sure if posting links to other forums is allowed here, so I haven't, but I'm sure you can find the thread through a web search if you want to, he also has takes on many other topics. Although I'm sceptical of the connection and the claim, thought I'd post his comment here because there could be some truth to both, who knows?

Quote:
What happened was Magic was trying to shake up the FO, he wanted Pelinka, Nunez, and Walton gone. Jeanie was fine with Nunez, reluctantly agreed to Walton, but wanted to protect Pelinka to save her relationship with Kobe. Jeanie was upset Pelinka didn't get the Davis deal done, and Pelinka was consequently upset at her for being furious about it. So Jeanie sent emails to Pelinka talking about how she was protecting Pelinka from Magic's demands, to improve their relationship there. However, Pelinka normally has his emails managed by his admin as he travels. However his admin was out of the office that day, so Linda's admin was reassigned to Pelinka. This is where it gets murky. AEG thinks that Linda got the emails from her admin and had someone forward them to Magic. There's no proof of this, as Linda is slick. Linda claimed she has nothing to do with it and it was the admin's fault, who has since been let go. In any case, Magic saw them and was furious with Jeanie for undermining his authority. He wanted Pelinka gone on the spot, and she refused. Then the stuff with the article happened, and he was forced out.

The BCC story you heard is Jeanie's spin on it to protect Linda and some other folks, since the true story did come out as so many were involved. Hard to keep that cat out of the bag, especially with Windhorst lurking around every corner. So best leak it but spin it

This sounds less plausible than the other stuff. Also sounds like a story manipulated to defend Magic.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Quote:
Ramona on Phil involved " Accurate, if you look at where they ended up it mirrors the Knicks coaching search. What Rambis & Phil learned from the Knicks was the destructive nature of what oversize superstardom could do to your team. They had Melo who had a NTC, LeBron doesn't."

I wonder if it's her opinion based on her deduction, or if she's been told that.

First Pelinka forced Magic out, and had “siloed” the Buss boys.

Then... no, it’s really Linda and Kurt Rambis secretly running the show.

Now today... ok, forget all that, Phil Jackson is actually lurking in the shadows pulling the strings.

Talk about a cat chasing its tail.

Last edited by Username on Sat May 11, 2019 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
epak wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Quote:

Now today... ok, forget all that, Phil Jackson is actually lurking in the shadows pulling the strings.

Talk about a cat chasing it’s tail.

Exactly. I love it.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
danzag wrote:
So now it's clear what happened when Magic Johnson stepped down. That's what he was talking about when he mentioned "backstabbing".

It was not Pelinka, it was Phil Jackson using the Rambis' influence on Jeanie to make decisions for this franchise.

Jeanie is STILL on that old mans nutts? Let it go woman!

lol !!!! Can you imagine what goes on between those two behind closed doors?!
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

Been telling you all for weeks now that Jackson was in the mix.

Buss surrounds herself with people she's comfortable with. It only made sense to me that Jackson was around, counseling, because of this. Add in his relationship with Rambis, and it was really easy to see.

I thought Rambis and Jackson wold give more consideration to Shaw, but they had their reasons for letting him go and going with Vogel instead.

I like the hire.

Clearly, Rambis is the new boss, with Pelinka as his GM, and Jackson as the advisor.

I'm cool with it, actually. Noone knows isht about Rambis' ability to build a team, but his first move shows me understands the power dynamic.

As far as I'm concerned, he (Rambis) passed the first test with flying colors.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Been telling you all for weeks now that Jackson was in the mix.

Buss surrounds herself with people she's comfortable with. It only made sense to me that Jackson was around, counseling, because of this. Add in his relationship with Rambis, and it was really easy to see.

I thought Rambis and Jackson wold give more consideration to Shaw, but they had their reasons for letting him go and going with Vogel instead.

I like the hire.

Clearly, Rambis is the new boss, with Pelinka as his GM, and Jackson as the advisor.

I'm cool with it, actually. Noone knows isht about Rambis' ability to build a team, but his first move shows me understands the power dynamic.

As far as I'm concerned, he (Rambis) passed the first test with flying colors.

I don’t know about pass with flying colors, the way things been handled have been unprecedentedly poor. As long as LeBron/Klutch camp is on board and we compete, it’s good but this obvious power struggles (guess Magic found out) is not good one bit
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Username wrote:
epak wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Quote:

Talk about a cat chasing it’s tail.

Exactly. I love it.

Thanks. I hate it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

1. Linda asks Jeanie to bring back Rambis into org
2. Phil starts roaming around the organization after Dolan kicked him out of MSG
3. Pelinka plants seeds and sends emails to Jeanie basically telling her Magic is negligent on the job
4. Jeanie leans on Rambii and Phil, they tell her she needs to take control of the basketball ops and this is not Klutch Angeles
5. Magic finds out all this and since he is married to Klutch, he quits.
6. Rambii and Phil get bigger roles in basketball ops

Good luck recruiting FAs if the process is just as messy as the coaching search hire.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
epak wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Quote:

To various degrees, none of those are mutually exclusive. They also paint a picture of a fluid situation with a power vacuum, a feckless, insular, cronyistic leader, and a war for position and primacy.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

What I don't understand is why haven't the two Buss kids in the FO spoken up??? Have they been "neutered" by the Rambii and Phil?

I mean, if you were these two kids, and confident in your abilities, why would you be ok with the Rambii failures (and Phil to an extent) suddenly having a huge voice and running things??? Wouldn't you say WTF is going on to Jeanie?

Strange.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
What I don't understand is why haven't the two Buss kids in the FO spoken up??? Have they been "neutered" by the Rambii and Phil?

I mean, if you were these two kids, and confident in your abilities, why would you be ok with the Rambii failures (and Phil to an extent) suddenly having a huge voice and running things??? Wouldn't you say WTF is going on to Jeanie?

Strange.

They can speak whatever they want, but she's the boss. She makes the decision.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:

Strange.

It's just comical that the Lakers actually have in-house FO people that are actual basketball people that know about the modern NBA in 2019 in Joey & Jesse Buss, along with Ryan West who had been crushing it in the draft, yet it's Rambis, Pelinka, & Phil that are the ones running the basketball department, even though they've shown to be terrible at their jobs. They don't even have to go outside the Lakers circle for real basketball minds to run the team that's in-house, yet Jeanie rolls with the incompetent trifecta.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Strange.

It's just comical that the Lakers actually have in-house FO people that are actual basketball people that know about the modern NBA in 2019 in Joey & Jesse Buss, along with Ryan West who had been crushing it in the draft, yet it's Rambis, Pelinka, & Phil that are the ones running the basketball department, even though they've shown to be terrible at their jobs. They don't even have to go outside the Lakers circle for real basketball minds to run the team that's in-house, yet Jeanie rolls with the incompetent trifecta.

I am fascinated by this.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Strange.

JPaul, agree with your comments 100%. This is why I asked the question. Maybe they are afraid to speak; maybe Jeanie can actually fire/remove Joey and Jessie Buss? or they are happy with what they are doing and their money and just don't care. I know that if it were me, I would be the one fighting for a more prominent role.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Strange.

Wait, Jesse and Joey Buss are "basketball people" but PHIL JACKSON isn't?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Username wrote:
epak wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Quote:

To various degrees, none of those are mutually exclusive. They also paint a picture of a fluid situation with a power vacuum, a feckless, insular, cronyistic leader, and a war for position and primacy.

Dude, it's not an Avengers movie lol. Posts like this just feed the flames of the pent up narratives built up by nothing other than speculative tweets and internet whispers. The only thing that we know for sure is that Jeanie has the final say in things and Rob is running basketball ops. We continually complain about drama and instability but eat up any report that hits the airwaves. It's an ugly cycle and it should stop with the fans engaging the media on their hyperbole so we can get back to real fact-based journalism.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Strange.

JPaul, agree with your comments 100%. This is why I asked the question. Maybe they are afraid to speak; maybe Jeanie can actually fire/remove Joey and Jessie Buss? or they are happy with what they are doing and their money and just don't care. I know that if it were me, I would be the one fighting for a more prominent role.

Only explanation I can come up with is Jerry Buss' hierachy plan he had, which was Jeanie being in charge of the business side, with Jim running the basketball side, and Joey & Jesse being in the same roles they have now, so they are just going with the hierarchy flow that was the plan essentially once Jerry passed away. However, once they outed Jim out, would assume Joey & Jim would have higher positions and more influence on the basketball side, but Jeanie went with Magic & Pelinka which has been a total bust.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Dude, it's not an Avengers movie lol. Posts like this just feed the flames of the pent up narratives built up by nothing other than speculative tweets and internet whispers. The only thing that we know for sure is that Jeanie has the final say in things and Rob is running basketball ops. We continually complain about drama and instability but eat up any report that hits the airwaves. It's an ugly cycle and it should stop with the fans engaging the media on their hyperbole so we can get back to real fact-based journalism.

Not related to the post thread you were replying to but speaking in general... i.e., Re: ignoring media hyperbole, not getting swept up in speculative tweets and internet whispers, returning to fact-based journalism... well said!
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Strange.

Wait, Jesse and Joey Buss are "basketball people" but PHIL JACKSON isn't?

Basketball people in understanding how modern NBA is being played today and building a team that goes with how basketball is being played now. Phil has shown that he doesn't know or understand either aspect as a basketball mind or team builder. Put it this way, he was referred to as "angry old guy in a young man's game" during his time as Knicks GM. Phil is out of touch and he doesn't believe in analytics and strangely made it known he was against 3 point shooting, especially 3 point shooting teams like the Warriors & Rockets due to their reliance on the 3 point shot, and with that thinking, the 2 most successful teams in the West last few years have been the Warriors & Rockets. Phil is a relic from the past, and the game has passed him by.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Whether or not you like the Vogel hiring... which I think we could have done worse... the scary part in all this how messy things got, how little experience we have, which people we're relying on, and now Jeanie has dug even deeper into her bag of past relationships to move the organization forward.

Phil is the greatest coach ever. But his stint in NY was awful. There is NO reason to pretend he has something to offer from a team building perspective. The team is headlined by a guy who despises Phil, the young players we want to develop are the complete opposite of triangle guys, and we're NOT brining in people who have a forward vision but instead listening to guys who have history with our emotionally fragile controlling owner.

Sad sad times. Strip away our past success and aura and our present/future is really becoming reminiscent of Dolan and his Knicks. A child who inherited the team and has no idea what to do with it. Phil's name being anywhere around this team today is pathetic.

I've said it elsewhere but the fix to all this mess was/is so obvious. Go steal a top executive for PBO, open the bank for West to consult, and let those guys build up departments, hire coaches, recruit FA's, work with LeBron and FA to build a true contender.

Instead, we're really being run by Kurt Rambis, Linda Rambis, and in the shadows Phil Jackson.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Strange.

This isn’t your typical family dynamic, it isn’t like they get together at holidays and exchange gifts. Hell, when Jeanie tweeted after Dr. Buss died, she didn’t even spell her brother Jesse’s name correctly. They are just obstacles threatening her power. It has been reported that Jeanie doesn’t want to be involved in basketball operations and that she judges success by profit and loss, not wins and losses. So it is doubtful that she sees the successes of her brothers and wants to promote them to higher positions. She needs those higher positions to be filled by people who will protect her.

As for Jesse and Joey, they are playing it smart. Stay low profile, remain neutral and don’t choose a side until you have to.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

If Phil didn’t know about how the modern game works he wouldn’t have drafted Porgz who is basically the perfect big man in today’s NBA and don’t give me the BS that he fell on the Knicks lap.. he still made a good decision.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If Phil didn’t know about how the modern game works he wouldn’t have drafted Porgz who is basically the perfect big man in today’s NBA and don’t give me the BS that he fell on the Knicks lap.. he still made a good decision.

Argue the point Phil is a good executive and right guy to in Jeanie's ear... waiting to hear it.

FYI- Porzingis was a favorite of the scouting department and Phil had to be talked into taking him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Argue the point Phil is a good executive and right guy to in Jeanie's ear... waiting to hear it.

FYI- Porzingis was a favorite of the scouting department and Phil had to be talked into taking him.

We just gotta hope it works out, whining about it isn’t gonna get Jeanie’s attention.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 62 of 71
Jump to: