Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 108, 109, 110  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm super bummed that a show that I just got into, Santa Clarita Diet, was canceled by Netflix after the third season. I'm just starting Season 3 right now. It's campy, funny, zany, and actually has some heart too. Timothy Olyphant in particular has a lot of charm, and the two lead teenage actors do a great job. Lots of guest stars throughout, too.

I'm hoping that another platform picks the show up.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

^^^^it stinks when that happens....I have friends that will not even watch a show until it has been on a couple seasons because some shows get cancelled so quickly.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

I did not realize that Season 2 of The Son on AMC began this weekend. Season 1 aired in the Spring of 2017. Sadly, AMC announced that Season 2 will be the final season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

Not sure who still watches Billions, but the Dollar Bill vs. Mafee boxing match was classic! Also, Ari Spyros has flipped me on his character....I love that guy.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

The Enemy Within.

Can't get enough of "Dexters Sister". She does RBF and Duck Faced Crying better than anyone on TV imo.I laugh at her, luv her, respect her, and hate her, all at the same time.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
The Enemy Within.

Can't get enough of "Dexters Sister". She does RBF and Duck Faced Crying better than anyone on TV imo.I laugh at her, luv her, respect her, and hate her, all at the same time.

Jennifer Carpenter? I did not watch Dexter, but knew her from Limitless. She has grown on me a little, but dang her ears are big....and she always seems to wear her hair to accentuate them.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

I know it's been around for a while but I'm just getting sucked in the Shameless vortex. The fact I get sucked in to watching a show that makes me cringe at least a few times every episode makes me worry about my mental health. Of course it could have something to do with Emmy Rossum's boobs.

Oh, and I concur with the post about Bosch. I've enjoyed every season and the new one so far still holds up.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

HBO teases news Fall 2019 Series.....Watchmen

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Although I haven't watched the show, good news for fans of Fresh Off the Boat, it is getting renewed.

However, one of the actors, Constance Wu, has an unusual reaction to the news:
https://twitter.com/ConstanceWu/status/1126960143462219776
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Chernobyl. Chernobyl. Chernobyl. Go watch Chernobyl. It's the best show on TV right now.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Chernobyl. Chernobyl. Chernobyl. Go watch Chernobyl. It's the best show on TV right now.

yeah almost felt like a horror story can't wait for next weeks. watching new season of sneaky pete right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Although I haven't watched the show, good news for fans of Fresh Off the Boat, it is getting renewed.

I read about this today....fan of Constance Wu, but her reaction was classless. I fully understand that now that she is more famous she might prefer to focus on other projects, but I am sure other cast mates were praying for a renewal. She should have kept her preference to herself.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
K2 wrote:

I read about this today....fan of Constance Wu, but her reaction was classless. I fully understand that now that she is more famous she might prefer to focus on other projects, but I am sure other cast mates were praying for a renewal. She should have kept her preference to herself.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6TGa5sW0AErrlk.png:large
Human makes human mistake, it happens.
Fresh of the Boat is pretty boring and plain so I see where she's coming from, honestly.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
K2 wrote:

Fresh of the Boat is pretty boring and plain so I see where she's coming from, honestly.

not sure why an opinion of the show matters, or justifies her response. I agree it was a mistake, but it was not a "slip-up"....she went on Twitter and Instagram with multiple posts over hours of time frame. Like I said, I can have empathy for how she feels internally, but it was unprofessional for her to make those remarks in regards to the cast and fans of the show. Not sure of her contract, but I assume she is locked in, or she would just walk away.....but wishing for ones work to fail and publicly announcing that desire while its success is likely critical to the lives of many others is just small in my opinion.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
K2 wrote:

People make mistakes for sure, but that was an incredibly tone deaf one.

I get where she is coming from. I've been in situations where the cool creative project I was up for didn't happen and going back to the safe regular job you have is a disappointment, and in this case, the lesser preference got in the way of it.

So her expressed disappointment doesn't bother me as much as how she tried to explain it. To repeatedly refer to her current gig as an "easy job" with "kind and pleasant" people is a real backhanded compliment that basically says to her current colleagues its a really uninteresting and unchallenging group with less than creative people.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

People make mistakes for sure, but that was an incredibly tone deaf one.

I get where she is coming from. I've been in situations where the cool creative project I was up for didn't happen and going back to the safe regular job you have is a disappointment, and in this case, the lesser preference got in the way of it.

So her expressed disappointment doesn't bother me as much as how she tried to explain it. To repeatedly refer to her current gig as an "easy job" with "kind and pleasant" people is a real backhanded compliment that basically says to her current colleagues its a really uninteresting and unchallenging group with less than creative people.

I guess for me, I just doubt any of the adults involved have any illusion that what they're doing is anything more than a safe, comfortable sitcom without any particularly incisive humor or commentary or artistic creativity, aside from some barebones sterilized commentary on Asian representation.* So I don't see "kind and pleasant" as a backhanded compliment to anyone besides maybe the writing staff (and the producers). After all the other actors and actresses are also limited by the script.

That said, I don't mean to imply I disagree with you because for the most part I totally see where you're coming from. This follow up is blunt and insensitive. And despite my first paragraph/ previous post, what makes me dislike her response more when I think about it is that she works with children. Her comments will probably be particularly hurtful to them. So mea culpa there -- I'm actually changing my position on both her original comments and this followup. You need to have more tact than that.

*Big caveat: I'm assuming that the first 4-5 episodes are representative of the show in the present, since I dropped it pretty quickly. Although I've watched random clips and episodes and nothing has really changed my opinion there.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

yeah almost felt like a horror story can't wait for next weeks. watching new season of sneaky pete right now

It is a horror story although I understand what you mean. The dim lighting and the wide scale shots of the nuclear plant burning give it a real creepy feel.

The pilot was interesting although I had to watch it twice to understand the dialogue, science and characters. All the technicians were wearing the same suits so I kept getting them mixed up.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
*Big caveat: I'm assuming that the first 4-5 episodes are representative of the show in the present, since I dropped it pretty quickly. Although I've watched random clips and episodes and nothing has really changed my opinion there.

Season 1 was the best season fwiw....I found a lot of similarities because it was about the same exact time I moved to Orlando. So all of the Shaq references and 90's rap hit a chord with me. (At that time Shaq and the Magic were huge in Orlando). As the kids have aged, it has struggled a little. I assume next season would be the last.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Somebody recommended to me the new Netflix show, "Dead to Me". Christina Applegate as the leading actor, and Linda Cardellini as the second leading actor. Also a supporting role by James Marsden. I caught a few episodes, and it isn't must see TV imo, but so far a decently entertaining show. If you are bored and need something to watch, try it out for a few episodes. The show was recommended to me by a woman, and seems to appeal to women, so might be a good show to watch with the S.O.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:

Season 1 was the best season fwiw....I found a lot of similarities because it was about the same exact time I moved to Orlando. So all of the Shaq references and 90's rap hit a chord with me. (At that time Shaq and the Magic were huge in Orlando). As the kids have aged, it has struggled a little. I assume next season would be the last.

I'm not really a fan of that style of sitcom. I was mostly watching in hopes for a more thoughtful exploration on the Asian-American experience as one myself, which I didn't really get.

It's cool that you relate to the show culturally though -- on some aspect that means it's probably succeeding in demystifying/ de-exotifying immigrants and first generation Asian-Americans. I can respect that.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:

I'm not really a fan of that style of sitcom. I was mostly watching in hopes for a more thoughtful exploration on the Asian-American experience as one myself, which I didn't really get.

It's cool that you relate to the show culturally though -- on some aspect that means it's probably succeeding in demystifying/ de-exotifying immigrants and first generation Asian-Americans. I can respect that.

My Filipino-American husband and I tried to watch it for a few episodes in the first season, and neither of us thought it was funny. I do like when shows go back to the 80's or 90's and it can offer a bit of nostalgia, but I just didn't think the show was actually funny. As opposed to, say, The Goldbergs, which I think is absolutely funny.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Somebody recommended to me the new Netflix show, "Dead to Me". Christina Applegate as the leading actor, and Linda Cardellini as the second leading actor. Also a supporting role by James Marsden. I caught a few episodes, and it isn't must see TV imo, but so far a decently entertaining show. If you are bored and need something to watch, try it out for a few episodes. The show was recommended to me by a woman, and seems to appeal to women, so might be a good show to watch with the S.O.

We just watched the first episode of that a couple of nights ago. I thought it was done well and it looks interesting. Will be following through to watch more episodes for sure.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

Billions is a better show than Game of Thrones
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:

My Filipino-American husband and I tried to watch it for a few episodes in the first season, and neither of us thought it was funny. I do like when shows go back to the 80's or 90's and it can offer a bit of nostalgia, but I just didn't think the show was actually funny. As opposed to, say, The Goldbergs, which I think is absolutely funny.

I am a Goldbergs fan, but it is on a short leash as the kids are aging out.....assume that was part of why Schooled was created. Overall, it is rare to find a 30 minute sitcom that is actually entertaining season over season.....they almost seem like entertainment of the past. I recall growing up, I lived for Dukes of Hazzard, Cosby Show, Webster, Mr. Belvedere, Silver Spoons, Who's the Boss, Charles in Charge, Growing Pains, Wonder Years, Full House and the 100's of other 30 minutes sitcoms that dominated television on the networks from 8PM-10PM.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Billions is a better show than Game of Thrones

I like Billions, but I do not consider it near GOT tier. Not sure how I feel about Chuck and Bobby being allies this season. Also, I really miss Malin Akerman.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 2 of 110
Jump to: