I Formally Apologize to Jim Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Jim was a clown, Mitch was an overall great GM, Jeanie, the jury is still out.

Jim, indeed, was a clown.

Mitch, IMO, had grown stale in the job. 30+ years with the team, 17 years as GM and started making weird moves. Given that his last 22 years involved close contact with Jimmy (1st as his boss then as his subordinate), my guess is that he was seen as too close to Jim and when the new broom was brought in, Mitch got swept out, too.

The most curious exit, to me, was John Black.
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
akk7 wrote:

I’ll also never forget Jeanie being upset that Mitch didn’t tell anyone about his daughter’s severe illness. Supposedly him being so closed off didn’t foster a family environment. Then imply she’s having a tough year too because her dog died. I harp on this a lot because of how ridiculous it all was. So low.

I remember that (bleep). Pathetic

Seriously? Wow, I never knew this but that's some real scumbaggery. Is there a link to this story?
VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I Formally Apologize to Jim Buss

yinoma2001 wrote:
Things may not have been optimal, but weren't as low as things are now. I pray that things will change, but maybe he wasn't the true problem with this franchise post Dr. Buss. (I've always been a Mitch fan so no apologies from me there for him).

Why. The Moz/Deng deal killed the franchise. The let go of all scouts -- in favor of the bartender -- grounded the Lakers for many years.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

Favor Retuned!
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

Then prove it because how can Mitch be good but Jim be bad? Theyyy both have to agree on a trade or fa or hiring fooooooor the lakers to move....so you can’t say one good and the other bad vis versa...how does that work?
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: I Formally Apologize to Jim Buss

VincentTH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Things may not have been optimal, but weren't as low as things are now. I pray that things will change, but maybe he wasn't the true problem with this franchise post Dr. Buss. (I've always been a Mitch fan so no apologies from me there for him).

Why. The Moz/Deng deal killed the franchise. The let go of all scouts -- in favor of the bartender -- grounded the Lakers for many years.

Annnd yet you still got Russell who became a all star and Randle and Zubac who were both good players and contributed....so that scout part? Ummm not really too convincing but nice try.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: I Formally Apologize to Jim Buss

VincentTH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Add to that the banners begging Howard to sign with us, and ill prepared meetings with Aldrige and other FA's. Talk about Jimbo and Mitch being the laughing stock of the NBA. Ask the question could Jimbo and Mitch been able to woo LBJ to become a Laker? Easy answer: NO way in H
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

Then prove it because how can Mitch be good but Jim be bad? Theyyy both have to agree on a trade or fa or hiring fooooooor the lakers to move....so you can’t say one good and the other bad vis versa...how does that work?

Quite frankly - the pieces that fueled the 3-peat were acquired on Jerry West's watch.

The later Back2Back was again largely fueled by West's guys (Kobe & Fish) - with the addition of Gasol. According to numerous articles, Mitch failed at getting a Gasol deal for a year and a half, but when Bynum went down, Dr. Buss got involved and made the deal with the Memphis owner.

So if you take Shaq, Kobe & Gasol out of the Mitch column, then his greatest move was fixing his own mistake by trading one of his horrible draft picks (Brian Cook) for Trevor Ariza.

Maybe Mitch wasn't that good, after all.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

Quite frankly - the pieces that fueled the 3-peat were acquired on Jerry West's watch.

The later Back2Back was again largely fueled by West's guys (Kobe & Fish) - with the addition of Gasol. According to numerous articles, Mitch failed at getting a Gasol deal for a year and a half, but when Bynum went down, Dr. Buss got involved and made the deal with the Memphis owner.

So if you take Shaq, Kobe & Gasol out of the Mitch column, then his greatest move was fixing his own mistake by trading one of his horrible draft picks (Brian Cook) for Trevor Ariza.

Smh even though west acquired those pieces you do know that west left and the fo had to but pieces around them still to make it work...Ie pick coach add players to support them sally fox fisher grant...heck even Mark Madison...you still dealt with salary management also.

The gasol trade was made With kwame brown and Kobe about to jump ship not because Bynum going down lol. I don’t remember Bynum playing along side kwame...smh. Mitch was in that deal as he still was friends with west. And yep we gave up gasol brother and kwame...we didn’t have Bynum. But Mitch and Jim made that move and rings came in.

Also after all that way back it still doesn’t show Jim or Mitch as this terrible owner or GM or person but in the first year of Jennie I got more Arsenal than a army of how crappy she is as a owner but continue on...lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Mitch and Jim got us 2 rings. Mitch and Jim signing Mozgov and Deng was (bleep) awful.

They're not mutually exclusive.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

Also now the parts you could actually hit Jim and Mitch on was that they made crucial mistakes in not getting younger while Kobe was in the middle years like getting Arron Miky or Bringing back fisher the second time or getting kwame brown who was just awful or allowing Phil power to pick triangle type players in the draft or trading them away for old vets...those things were killers but other things like Kobe’s contract and letting go of ariza for rob arrest who really was a present move not a future one. Keeping Lamar Odom too long...or letting Shannon brown go after he was doing well..so those things hurt the future but bspn don’t say those things it’s ...mozzzzz and dennnng..... mozzzzz and dennnng....so lame.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

So Memphis was going to trade Gasol a year and a half before Kwame was an ending contract? Aand Dr. Buss made the Gasol trade? Pure fiction.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

So Memphis was going to trade Gasol a year and a half before Kwame was an ending contract? Aand Dr. Buss made the Gasol trade? Pure fiction.

Shh....don’t spread facts and logic or you will destroy the hate on Jim and Mitch narrative...lol.

Repeat after me “Jennie goooood” “Mitch and Jim baaaasad” and “mozzzz and dennnng”
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

Smh even though west acquired those pieces you do know that west left and the fo had to but pieces around them still to make it work...Ie pick coach add players to support them sally fox fisher grant...heck even Mark Madison...you still dealt with salary management also.

The gasol trade was made With kwame brown and Kobe about to jump ship not because Bynum going down lol. I don’t remember Bynum playing along side kwame...smh. Mitch was in that deal as he still was friends with west. And yep we gave up gasol brother and kwame...we didn’t have Bynum. But Mitch and Jim made that move and rings came in.

Also after all that way back it still doesn’t show Jim or Mitch as this terrible owner or GM or person but in the first year of Jennie I got more Arsenal than a army of how crappy she is as a owner but continue on...lol

1 - Andrew Bynum was injured on January 13, 2008. The Lakers traded for Pau Gasol on February 1, 2008. If you don't remember Andrew Bynum playing with Kwame it is because yyou have a faulty memory. Neither Kobe nor Kwame was "about to jump ship" off of the 1st place Lakers.

2 - Jerry West resigned as GM of Memphis on June 13, 2007. The Lakers traded for Gasol almost 8 months after West was gone.

Hate facts . . . but you cannot change them to fit your own narrative.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes. There was actually a thread about it made around the time of the trade.

Pau Gasol demanded a trade in January of 2007 and the Lakers offered a deal centered around Lamar Odom. Negotiations were progressing but when Gasol backed off on his demands about a month later, talks cooled down.

Dr. Buss was in semi-retirement mode and the team was pinching pennies as Buss was tying up loose ends on his estate planning. Moving Odom's deal was a prelude to bringing in any salaries because Doc was watching cash flow.

In May, Jimmy started the infamous Radio War that prompted Kobe to demand a trade - which brought Dr. Buss out of semi-retirement, his involvement is what calmed Kobe (who said our FO was a joke) down.

Lakers get off to a hot start that fall as a healthy Bynum starts beasting. He dislocates his kneecap when the team is 25-11 and scaring everyone. The
team founders and the Lakers revisit the Gasol talks. The talks go no where and then Dr. Buss calls Memphis owner Michael Heisley and they hash out a deal. Buss backs off on his penny-pinching and gives up Kwame Brown's expiring instead of Odom's longer deal and the deal is closed.

No one really knew how much of the Lakers FO machinations were driven by Dr. Buss' financial constraints. In that instance, the Lakers may have acquired Gasol a year earlier if Dr. Buss had been willing to bite the bullet on Odom's contract in 2007.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

The reality is that Jerry West was the mastermind behind the Pau Gasol trade, it was a way to eventually get his brother while helping his failing ex-assistant (Kupcake) who was stuck in the mud with an angry Kobe. Everyone in basketball knows this is the truth. Mitch was just a good capologist as an assistant, but as far as knowing how to build teams he was a total failure. Add to this the most incompetent son (Jimbo who turned everything he touched into dust) made for 5 long years of trash. The Lakers had a whopping 86-233 in only three years that Jimbo and Mitch where in command. Don't forget the failed Lazers and his poor horses. I can't believe people forget who really destroyed this franchise, and don't realize how hard it is to turn it around.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Things were way worse with Jim 'baseball cap and t-shirt' Buss. CP3 veto, laying off a bunch of loyal team employees in 2011, passing on Phil in 2013, hiring D'Antoni, awful coaching hires, Nash trade, letting Howard and Gasol walk for nothing, years of fretting over the lottery just to keep our pick, Mozz/Deng singings, inability to land a top FA, etc etc.

Sure Jeanie has been bad. But I see the current situation as still salvageable. She's emotional and prone to shoot herself (and the team) in the foot at times. But Jimbo was just a special kind of incompetent. We can argue the effectiveness of Magic as team president. But he was brought in to fix the post apocalyptic predicament that the Jim/Mitch regime left us in. That's a fact. Was he perfect? Obviously not. We can debate the pros and cons of the Dlo trade, letting Julius walk etc. But the team wouldn't have had to ponder making those tough calls if it wasn't for Jimbo's negligence as an executive. He left this franchise in shambles, and is responsible for the worst era of basketball that this organization has ever endured.

At least now we have LeBron James, capspace for a 2nd max FA, and a pretty strong young core who'll be cost controlled during the foreseeable future. It didn't come without bruises, but I don't see any reason we can't move forward. Under Jimbo, it was quicksand city, and it was bound to remain that way. You're going to tell me that this is worse than 2014? MDA, post achilles Kobe, losing Dwight for free, no draft pick, and a ragtag collection of mediocre acquisitions? You're crazay.

Last edited by panamaniac on Mon May 13, 2019 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

The reality is that Jerry West was the mastermind behind the Pau Gasol trade, it was a way to eventually get his brother while helping his failing ex-assistant (Kupcake) who was stuck in the mud with an angry Kobe. Everyone in basketball knows this is the truth. Mitch was just a good capologist as an assistant, but as far as knowing how to build teams he was a total failure. Add to this the most incompetent son (Jimbo who turned everything he touched into dust) made for 5 long years of trash. The Lakers had a whopping 86-233 in only three years that Jimbo and Mitch where in command. Don't forget the failed Lazers and his poor horses. I can't believe people forget who really destroyed this franchise, and don't realize how hard it is to turn it around.

Unemployed Jerry West was the mastermind behind the Gasol trade?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

Unemployed Jerry West was the mastermind behind the Gasol trade?

The talks started in February 2007 when West was still running the Grizz.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
trablos wrote:

You do know it takes two sides to make a trade right? Meaning EVEn ...EVEEEEEN if Jerry West started the deal...JIM and MITH had to agree with it.. Also if you think West was some fool...that just wanted to help Mitch..you might be on that good,....let me stop..lol. Anyway He wanted Marc Gasol...didnt care about no Kwame nor Sun Yue...lol. He knew exactly what he was doing ...Just when he PUNKED MAGIC getting Zubac. Both sides have to have the brains to know how this help both sides...Want a for instance?

When Idiot Magic made the offer up the whole team for AD...the GM of the Hornets or whoever should have jumped at that deal...ANNND thats why he was fired ...becaue he showed he was MORE STUPID than MAGIC ....and thats saying ALOT.

Now you talking about oh oh he was a horse owner blah blah..How many rings dd we get with this Horse owner? Say the number of rings..or let it go...The Celtics before Ainge hadnt seen the rings since RED AURBACH...twenty years...lol.

Also that No good GM and NO good Jim tried to gets Howard and Cp3 to play with kobe but it failed due to the league..not they fault!..But those two(Jim and Mitch) just were no good as they even had a backup plan with getting nash...but let me guess?...They suppose to had ESP powers to know Howard was a clown? And forsee Nash being hurt....smh.

...Also Those 5 years? Well wooaaa is us pooooor Spoiled laker fans ...a whole 5 years with kobe on the down slope...and no fresh talent which Phil had a hand in siffening for old has been Triangle players...heck some teams like the celtics hadnt been in the hunt for 20yrs and we wont talk about the Wizards or Timber-wolves or Clippers...noooo We LAKERS hadnt been in the playoffs for a whole 5 years...smh. poor is us..
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

andrewc wrote:
danzag wrote:
akk7 wrote:

I’ll also never forget Jeanie being upset that Mitch didn’t tell anyone about his daughter’s severe illness. Supposedly him being so closed off didn’t foster a family environment. Then imply she’s having a tough year too because her dog died. I harp on this a lot because of how ridiculous it all was. So low.

I remember that (bleep). Pathetic

Seriously? Wow, I never knew this but that's some real scumbaggery. Is there a link to this story?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2648618-a-family-divided-unrest-growing-in-buss-family-as-lakers-struggle-to-rebuild.amp.html

Pretty one sided piece right before free agency from none other than Kevin Ding who works for Lakers.com now

His hit piece in Wesley Johnson of all people after leaving Pelinka’s agency was another classic. You can clearly see through his angle when he writes.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes. There was actually a thread about it made around the time of the trade.

Pau Gasol demanded a trade in January of 2007 and the Lakers offered a deal centered around Lamar Odom. Negotiations were progressing but when Gasol backed off on his demands about a month later, talks cooled down.

Dr. Buss was in semi-retirement mode and the team was pinching pennies as Buss was tying up loose ends on his estate planning. Moving Odom's deal was a prelude to bringing in any salaries because Doc was watching cash flow.

In May, Jimmy started the infamous Radio War that prompted Kobe to demand a trade - which brought Dr. Buss out of semi-retirement, his involvement is what calmed Kobe (who said our FO was a joke) down.

Lakers get off to a hot start that fall as a healthy Bynum starts beasting. He dislocates his kneecap when the team is 25-11 and scaring everyone. The
team founders and the Lakers revisit the Gasol talks. The talks go no where and then Dr. Buss calls Memphis owner Michael Heisley and they hash out a deal. Buss backs off on his penny-pinching and gives up Kwame Brown's expiring instead of Odom's longer deal and the deal is closed.

No one really knew how much of the Lakers FO machinations were driven by Dr. Buss' financial constraints. In that instance, the Lakers may have acquired Gasol a year earlier if Dr. Buss had been willing to bite the bullet on Odom's contract in 2007.

smh...this fantasy stuff...his involvement didnt calm kobe and buss was still pushing to give kobe what he wanted which was a trade. Kobe got tired of losing and wasting his talent....UNLIKE Jenie...Jim/Mitch/BUSS WERENT going to let A STAR NOR KOBE RUN THE LAKERS Decision. NO STAR IS ABOVE THE TEAM.... so he was going to make the Trade to Chicago....but the hinge is that Kobe(no trade clause) wanted to play with Deng and the Lakers was asking for Deng in the trade..soooo that didnt to pan out..
So the Memphis trade came along

Now if you think Buss was just going to call on up and tell West "WE THE LAKERS!! GIVE UP Pau! And yeah i sided with Phil Instead of you back in the day ..but...WE THE LAKERS!!"....well ..that wasnt going to happen and im sure you thinking Buss was the setup guy. is really fantasy island.. Mitch was involved in contact with WEST his old friend...smh. Anyway Kobe got satisfied and They won a ring...with Odom and Gasol ...Brown ...Ariiza..

And you know what? THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JIM's CHARACTER...if anything....it showed that he WAS NOT LIKE HIS FATHER not going to let a star or Player run the organization. It showed that LA understood their star player and tried to give him the best chance to succeed ..BUT THEY WERE NOT GOING TO BE OVER RUN BY ONE PLAYER. cough LEBRONNNY/JENIE/RAMBIS
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: