Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Dragon fire destroyed THE Wall. What's a puny King's Landing wall compared to that?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
This season has been a D+ and it’s only because of the cinematography, music, and acting. The writing and story payoffs have been atrocious almost ruining the entire series

For what its worth, the recent episode (5) was ranked the worst in the series run (meaning the best it will ever get is second worst) via rotten tomatoes reviews:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a27450770/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-reviews-worst-show-history/

Here's the reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s08/e05/reviews

And some guy on reddit has kept track of ratings of the episodes and guess which season has every episode declining? (eg your D+ isnt too far off as we speak):

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/bmgkfu/oc_the_downfall_of_game_of_thrones_ratings/
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Dragon fire destroyed THE Wall. What's a puny King's Landing wall compared to that?

Well that was like plasma ice super magic fire though
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

So it is when something occurs, and not that it simply occurs? Maybe Drogon matured. Maybe he tied into Dany's anger and used dragon adrenaline? Who knows? Why does it matter so? Why are some things accepted yet others are not? Was is plausible that Dany would survive a fire and hatch dragons? But everyone seems to accept that.

Maybe someone could lend me their official Dragons of the Seven Kingdoms guide.

Come on man. Now you're just being obtuse. Of course things can change and evolve. But when they do so dramatically and without and explanation or reference purely to conveniently move a story in a certain direction it's cheesy and off-putting that detracts from the power good storytelling. That applies whether it is historical drama or pure fantasy.

Preach on, brother

(I know, I know, we still agree to disagree on some things nonetheless)
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
just hope Dany goes with the full makeup look for the final episode....the whole this is what I look like when I wake up was not working for me..

You'd still "date" her Adkindo, admit it!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

So it is when something occurs, and not that it simply occurs? Maybe Drogon matured. Maybe he tied into Dany's anger and used dragon adrenaline? Who knows? Why does it matter so? Why are some things accepted yet others are not? Was is plausible that Dany would survive a fire and hatch dragons? But everyone seems to accept that.

Maybe someone could lend me their official Dragons of the Seven Kingdoms guide.

Come on man. Now you're just being obtuse. Of course things can change and evolve. But when they do so dramatically and without and explanation or reference purely to conveniently move a story in a certain direction it's cheesy and off-putting that detracts from the power good storytelling. That applies whether it is historical drama or pure fantasy.

So, you tell me how, realistically, Dany survived the fire in which her Dragons were born, all the while keeping in mind that you are concerned, not with dragons or dragons that endlessly breathe fire, or dragons that can be ridden, but only with the force of the fire. Neither of these developments (Dany's survival or fire force) give me any pause, but it seems you and others just want to pick and choose what YOU think is plausible or consistent in this fictional fantasy world as created by GRRM, and what is not.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
you and others just want to pick and choose what YOU think is plausible or consistent in this fictional fantasy world as created by GRRM, and what is not.

Sure that's it . . . even though the opposite has been explained quite thoroughly . . . carry on
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Had the dragon turned a person into a unicorn, I probably would not be watching, so that is just a poor example. But, back to the point, you think it is fine for a saga to have a dragon and for a dragon to breathe fire, but you don't think a dragon can breathe fire with significant force. Why? The capabilities of a dragon, what a dragon can do and can't, is beyond my expertise and reasoning ability.

The problem with the dragon blowing down 1,000 foot stone fortifications and whether the force involved was "possible" or not. The problem is the capriciousness with that ability throughout the series. If the dragons had always been able to do that kind of destruction, every previous battle they were in would have a had different outcome. It's not about what fantasy gets away with, it's about the consistency in regards to the conventions a particular fantasy setup.

Look at this way . . . what if during the battle with the Whites all of a sudden dragon glass could not only kill a White, but it would also send off off a shockwavethat would kill all Whites within a 100 feet when that was not something that ever happened before or was explained?

I thought it was inconsistent too. But in all fairness one Zombie dragon was able to easily bring down the wall. So I guess it does have that capability.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Had the dragon turned a person into a unicorn, I probably would not be watching, so that is just a poor example. But, back to the point, you think it is fine for a saga to have a dragon and for a dragon to breathe fire, but you don't think a dragon can breathe fire with significant force. Why? The capabilities of a dragon, what a dragon can do and can't, is beyond my expertise and reasoning ability.

The problem with the dragon blowing down 1,000 foot stone fortifications and whether the force involved was "possible" or not. The problem is the capriciousness with that ability throughout the series. If the dragons had always been able to do that kind of destruction, every previous battle they were in would have a had different outcome. It's not about what fantasy gets away with, it's about the consistency in regards to the conventions a particular fantasy setup.

Look at this way . . . what if during the battle with the Whites all of a sudden dragon glass could not only kill a White, but it would also send off off a shockwavethat would kill all Whites within a 100 feet when that was not something that ever happened before or was explained?

I thought it was inconsistent too. But in all fairness one Zombie dragon was able to easily bring down the wall. So I guess it does have that capability.

An ICE wall . . . with FIRE.

Not to mention that he was a zombie . . . and like the rest of the undead, likely gained different powers upon his death. So his difference in strength and ability isn't just random and unexplained.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
Worst episode of the entire show by far. Dany's turn wasn't the issue. It's the writing leading up to it. Here's what I found stupid:

1) Golden Company didn't do anything. Yeah, yeah, the dragons obliterated them because Dragons > all. But the Golden Company are elite mercenaries who have never lost a battle. What was the point of the whole scene a few seasons back where Cersei took a huge loan out to get the Golden Company? There was no payoff for the audience to see that the Golden Company are badasses.

2) Scorpions. So they killed Rhaegal with 3 arrows and cannot manage to even get an arrow off after Dany engages. They made Scorpions overpowered in episode 4 to make the fight seem fair. Then they walked it all back in episode 5. Bad writing.

3) Euron's fleet was overpowered and was reduced to rubbish. Why? Why so many inconsistencies? Why does Dany's force even travel on water IF Euron was that strong? His strength is in his ships so why engage at all on water? WHY?

4) Euron washing ashore exactly where Jaime was at the exact moment. OP Euron suddenly became infatuated with killing Jaime. Lazy writing to close Euron's story arc.

5) Jaime sudden change to loving Brienne and sudden change back to Cersei. Yes, I know what the writer was going for in terms of Jaime realizing his fate is tied to Cersei. But the writing was terrible and inconsistent.

6) Cersei dying by debris. Talk about building her up as this evil monster and then taking the easy way out. No satisfaction from her scenes/death.

7) Arya going to the Red Keep and then running away. 15 minutes of her running away. Basically her only role in traveling there was so we can witness the escape of King's Landing from the perspective of someone we care for (according to D&D). Sigh.

8) Inconsistencies of remaining army numbers. Didn't make sense how many Unsullied and Dorathkis were left.

9) Dragons Fire also blows up bricks on impact.

There are so many more things wrong with this episode that I'm tired of typing. I felt like I have committed so much time and emotion into this show for close to 10 years and it has disappointed me like a failed long-term relationship.

dvdr, I'm going to try and tackle some of the stuff you raised. If I agree with the point I'm making I'll say (A), otherwise I'm either just offering an explanation that I dont necessarily agree with:

1. Good point. I also found it a bit...strange they were deployed in front of the gate? Wouldnt it be better to man the walls or otherwise have them in reserve?

With that said, I did take some enjoyment in watching the gloating looks of this pumped up company (didnt they also abandon Stannis before he was wiped out?) get decimated and turn to terror when Drogon went full dracarys on them. (A!) So I forgave them on that. But yes, would have been nice to see them in action.

2. This one I could actually rationalize. Both times a dragon was lost was when they had no rider. Plus the "buzz the tower" fly by in episode 4 caught them unawares / were surprised/ambushed. In this battle, Dany knew what to expect and the element of surprise was gone when she assaulted the fleet.

Best explanation I got for you.

3. I was annoyed about in episode 4 because she had lost a ton of military on ships when Euron got them and killed them off screen in season 7. So I didnt know why she chose to just sail right into King's Landing...

But, in episode 5, the best explanation I have is that since the element of surprise was gone (see #2 above), the scorpions arent as effective. Once she gets a few fire shots in the fleet goes down easily.

4. I agree (A!). But, best explanation I have for it is Euron is supposed to be a complete nut case.

5. I agree (A!). Best explanation I have for it is its toxicity was like how an addict keeps going back to whats bad for them. This was a co-worker's explanation.

6. I was not as disappointed w/ Cersei's death. The biggest thing with her for me is she was completely humiliated. I mean, her whole plan and confidence were completely eviscerated by dracarys action on the City. Golden Company? Melted. Fleet? More fuel for the fire. Lannister guards? Hell no, they wont protect her. She watched her city burn and showed actual fear - fear of losing her baby. She never likes to show she is not in control or has any fear. Dany literally rained that down on her in gross magnitude. Once she broke down and began crying that was it. We've only seen two characters pull that off on her: 1) The Sparrow 2) Now Dany. Dany just finished her off.

7. Best explanation I have is what you already wrote.

8. Agree (A!).

9. Lack of maintenance in KL that was exposed by the sheer concussion force of the flames projected onto the building?

I completely understand where you're coming from on the last comment
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

look at how they massacred my b̶o̶y̶ show
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

An ICE wall . . . with FIRE.

Not to mention that he was a zombie . . . and like the rest of the undead, likely gained different powers upon his death. So his difference in strength and ability isn't just random and unexplained.

What exactly was Uncle Benjamin? Dead, undead? Something else. He said the wall was crafted with ancient magic that would stop him from crossing. Was this magic supposed to stop white walkers? whites? children of the forrest? just Benjamin? Did the dragon blowing it down break the spell?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Some of you need to learn the difference between wights and whites, although there are some similarities.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
adkindo wrote:
just hope Dany goes with the full makeup look for the final episode....the whole this is what I look like when I wake up was not working for me..

I prefer beautiful Daenerys, I can work with Mad Daenerys, but I really am not into morning before my coffee Daenerys.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DrDent wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I prefer beautiful Daenerys, I can work with Mad Daenerys, but I really am not into morning before my coffee Daenerys.

I’d worry about mo(u)rning breath. Drakaris.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DrDent wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I’d worry about mo(u)rning breath. Drakaris.

yes, halitosis would definitely end my affection. I never get the movies where the guy and girl have been out partying the night before....wake up in the morning and start sweet talking with their faces about an inch from each other followed by affectionate kissing. That is more fictional than dragons. Nobody goes out drinking and wakes up with minty breath.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject:

I am surprised he didn't include Hiroshima and Nagasaki in these examples..

A statement of power like no other. The whole kingdom betrayed Human kind by not supporting man against undead

I say she already spared them by leading the team that killed the Night King.

For thanks they killed one of her dragons. I see the dragons as defenders of peace.. long peace. The place was a hall of horrors for her whole dna..

https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/battle-kings-landing-got-military-analysis-tactics.html

Quote:
The Strategic Case for Burning King’s Landing
Was it mad? Or a canny decision by an aspiring monarch? A military strategist looks at the Battle of King’s Landing.

By Robert Farley
May 13, 20194:42 PM

What happened after that battle—the sack and burning of King’s Landing—has been the subject of much morning-after debate. Many ascribe the actions of the leader of Team Dragon, Daenerys Targaryen, to a kind of madness. Yet as we teach at the United States Army War College, political considerations infuse military strategy: Viewing her actions through that lens suggests the destruction of King’s Landing may serve Targaryen purposes.

This article has been approved for public release in accordance with Carlisle Barracks Regulation No. 360-1 (Public Release of Information and Engagement) to ensure that it accurately portrays official policy and does not include classified information. The views expressed here are the personal views of Farley and do not necessarily reflect the official views of the Department of Defense, the U.S. Army, or the Army War College on the Battle of King’s Landing

11 Times Dany Burning Kings Landing Down Was Foreshadowed On 'Game Of Thrones'

^^^Great article.. to a casual watcher
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject:

On Cersei's death that a lot of people seem to be disappointed with, anything else wouldn't have been as big a surprise. Should Arya have killed her? Dany? Jon Snow? Jamie? Any of those would have been predictable.

She got the death she deserved. Completely broken and taken out by the rocks she was convinced would keep her safe.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I think it’s kinda ridiculous to have such a major problem with the capabilities of a dragon in a fictional world. But if we’re gonna go down that path, I don’t even think it’s out of character for Drogon to be able to do what he did. Dragons never stop growing when they are unchained and free. Drogon was never held in captivity like his sibling dragons. Also, he is supposed to be the reincarnation of the greatest dragon to ever appear in Westeros. He is already bigger and more powerful than the other dragons both naturally and due to never being in captivity, he’s the strongest he has ever been at any point in the show, and he and his mother are really (bleep) pissed off and motivated to devastate the city. I think it’s fairly reasonable and realistic within the scope of the show. One dragon was killed by a zombie king, the other was severely injured and struggling to fly when it was shot and those dragons were weaker and not strategically flying as Drogon was when attacking the iron fleet and scorpion weapons. We had never had a reason to test Drogons ability to destroy a wall but we did see the other smaller dragons do it and break out of captivity. I don’t see anything that points towards Drogon not being able to do what he did.

https://www.inverse.com/article/35171-game-of-thrones-dragon-drogon-size
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I think it’s kinda ridiculous to have such a major problem with the capabilities of a dragon in a fictional world. But if we’re gonna go down that path, I don’t even think it’s out of character for Drogon to be able to do what he did. Dragons never stop growing when they are unchained and free. Drogon was never held in captivity like his sibling dragons. Also, he is supposed to be the reincarnation of the greatest dragon to ever appear in Westeros. He is already bigger and more powerful than the other dragons both naturally and due to never being in captivity, he’s the strongest he has ever been at any point in the show, and he and his mother are really (bleep) pissed off and motivated to devastate the city. I think it’s fairly reasonable and realistic within the scope of the show. One dragon was killed by a zombie king, the other was severely injured and struggling to fly when it was shot and those dragons were weaker and not strategically flying as Drogon was when attacking the iron fleet and scorpion weapons. We had never had a reason to test Drogons ability to destroy a wall but we did see the other smaller dragons do it and break out of captivity. I don’t see anything that points towards Drogon not being able to do what he did.

You're right. I didn't remember it, but just watched the scene. Season 6, episode 9, the dragons that had been held in the prison in Meereen break through the wall with fire. So much for it being unprecedented. I'm sure no one will admit that they were wrong though.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

You're right. I didn't remember it, but just watched the scene. Season 6, episode 9, the dragons that had been held in the prison in Meereen break through the wall with fire. So much for it being unprecedented. I'm sure no one will admit that they were wrong though.

I was talking with my daughter last night about this absurd conversation, about what a dragon can and can't do. She couldn't believe it. She has not watched GOT but commented that she's heard the worst part about the show is the fans. I'll leave it at that.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Bol wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I was talking with my daughter last night about this absurd conversation, about what a dragon can and can't do. She couldn't believe it. She has not watched GOT but commented that she's heard the worst part about the show is the fans. I'll leave it at that.

They remind me of Lakers fans. A loud minority is constantly unhappy and misrepresent the majority.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
On Cersei's death that a lot of people seem to be disappointed with, anything else wouldn't have been as big a surprise. Should Arya have killed her? Dany? Jon Snow? Jamie? Any of those would have been predictable.

She got the death she deserved. Completely broken and taken out by the rocks she was convinced would keep her safe.

I totally thought when Cersei and Jamie first saw each other after the Euron fight that Arya had stumbled upon Jamie's dead body and was wearing his face.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

The hound morphed into Braveheart Campbell while getting his head squeezed
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Bol wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:
2. The History Of Harrenhal In Season 2
HBO

In Season 2, Arya arrives at Harrenhal with Gendry and Hot Pie. It was burnt by dragon fire centuries prior to the events of Game of Thrones and never recovered. OK, so the crumbling stone walls of King's Landing don't look exactly like the melted walls of Harrenhal, but we were warned.

https://www.bustle.com/p/11-times-dany-burning-kings-landing-down-was-foreshadowed-on-game-of-thrones-17868220
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 236 of 247
Jump to: