Bill Simmons: Lakers dropped Lue because of Kyrie.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I'm going to tell myself it was a triggering event that put Kurt's life on the path to the 6 piece chicken mcnightmare that the Lakers are in today just so I can maintain a healthy chauvinism against Boston.

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
Garbage. We lowballed Lue and he walked. Total failure and embarrassment

đź’Ż
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bill Simmons should become a Laker fan

Meh, he's a tw-t (a, not i) who was caught cheering as Mike Cooper was being carried out of Bwahstin GAAAAAAAAAdin with an injury. Bill was pinpointed in the crowd like Hitler in this pic: https://tinyurl.com/yyc6r6vm
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Who Kyrie want? Iso understanding coach? Coach Kobe? Phil’s triangle?

Kobe didn’t win his 5 rings playing iso ball. Stop the bs.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
governator wrote:
Who Kyrie want? Iso understanding coach? Coach Kobe? Phil’s triangle?

Kobe didn’t win his 5 rings playing iso ball. Stop the bs.

Didn’t mean to slight Kobe, a coach that can incorporate an iso as a strength, kinda like what dantoni done with harden
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
For the record, he said that it's something he's heard and he has no idea if it's true.

It also seems unlikely given the fact that the Lakers did, indeed, offer Lue a contract.

For the record, I heard that BS is a putz!
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:

How is $18 million dollars to a coach no one else wants a lowball? What are his other offers?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:

How is $18 million dollars to a coach no one else wants a lowball? What are his other offers?

He is already getting paid similar money for the next two years from the Cavs regardless.. It's why he worked with the Clippers in an "unofficial" position so he would still continue getting paid much more. It's why he probably laughed at the Lakers offer and walked away.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:

Getting paid $7M/year by Dan Gilbert to not work is a pretty enticing offer. Pelinka/Rambis egregiously misread their leverage.

I still haven’t heard a single explanation for the insistence on only giving three-year deals other than Jeanie is cheap and doesn’t want to have to eat any $$ for another fired coach.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:

He is already getting paid similar money for the next two years from the Cavs regardless.. It's why he worked with the Clippers in an "unofficial" position so he would still continue getting paid much more. It's why he probably laughed at the Lakers offer and walked away.

In that case I wouldn't have taken the job either. I think the Lakers hired the better coach in the end though. Losing a game 7 on the road to Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Allen in the ECF is a pretty good coaching job when the Heat were far more talented.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject:

I don't know if it's that, I think if Kyrie teams up with LBJ, it's because he believes it's the right move for him to make. Playing with Lebron opens up the game for Kyrie and he's seen in Boston how much harder it is to play without LBJ. I think the two of them have gained respect for each other, away from each other so the reunion IMO is possible.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with who the coach is.

Question is can Kyrie admit he's a championship #2 not #1. That's big thing on his ego. Playing with LBJ isn't like playing with Curry in GST. Durant wasn't going to be a #2, he was going to be 1A. Kyrie IMO may want to first look for a 1A situation, vs being a #2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:

Pretty much it

Didn’t he lose every game post bron. Vogel has a decent track record. I’m sure lue has tons of suitors
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I don't know if it's that, I think if Kyrie teams up with LBJ, it's because he believes it's the right move for him to make. Playing with Lebron opens up the game for Kyrie and he's seen in Boston how much harder it is to play without LBJ. I think the two of them have gained respect for each other, away from each other so the reunion IMO is possible.

Question is can Kyrie admit he's a championship #2 not #1. That's big thing on his ego. Playing with LBJ isn't like playing with Curry in GST. Durant wasn't going to be a #2, he was going to be 1A. Kyrie IMO may want to first look for a 1A situation, vs being a #2.

Most people have pegged him teaming up with KD. He’d be a clear #2 in that situation as well.

I can’t shake the feeling the Lakers leaked all the Kyrie stuff the past couple of days to mitigate some of the fan anger at how things went down with Lue. Hope I’m wrong.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie cmnon over!!! hell yea.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:

Lue isn't that much to stress over...
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Most people have pegged him teaming up with KD. He’d be a clear #2 in that situation as well.

I can’t shake the feeling the Lakers leaked all the Kyrie stuff the past couple of days to mitigate some of the fan anger at how things went down with Lue. Hope I’m wrong.

I seriously doubt they give a care about "fan anger."

As of March 2019, the Lakers are - by about 10 million - the most followed team on Facebook. https://www.statista.com/statistics/240382/facebook-fans-of-national-basketball-association-teams/

They are the 2nd largest revenue generating team, sold 99.7% of their available tickets and will likely hit $150 million in operating income again, despite not making the playoffs for a 6th straight season.

In 2017-18, they exceeded revenue projections by SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS ($395MM vs $333MM).

Market & Brand are the biggest factors. Yes, they'll take a minor brand hit for 2-3 months of bad press, but because of how they raise their money, it'd likely take 25-30 years of bad PR to seriously affect them financially (look at the Knicks).

So leaking stuff like that would have little-to-no-positive-impact for the team but would have enormous potential to embarass them if it got out.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Rubin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I seriously doubt they give a care about "fan anger."

As of March 2019, the Lakers are - by about 10 million - the most followed team on Facebook. https://www.statista.com/statistics/240382/facebook-fans-of-national-basketball-association-teams/

They are the 2nd largest revenue generating team, sold 99.7% of their available tickets and will likely hit $150 million in operating income again, despite not making the playoffs for a 6th straight season.

In 2017-18, they exceeded revenue projections by SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS ($395MM vs $333MM).

Market & Brand are the biggest factors. Yes, they'll take a minor brand hit for 2-3 months of bad press, but because of how they raise their money, it'd likely take 25-30 years of bad PR to seriously affect them financially (look at the Knicks).

So leaking stuff like that would have little-to-no-positive-impact for the team but would have enormous potential to embarass them if it got out.

Understand all that. So are you taking Simmons’ “report” at face value? Remember, stuff doesn’t get leaked just because — there’s always something to be gained by someone. I just wonder why Simmons/Windhorst/Jackie Mac all had Kyrie to LA stuff within a day of each other.

Of course, I hope it’s because Kyrie is actually coming
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
Understand all that. So are you taking Simmons’ “report” at face value? Remember, stuff doesn’t get leaked just because — there’s always something to be gained by someone. I just wonder why Simmons/Windhorst/Jackie Mac all had Kyrie to LA stuff within a day of each other.

90% of what is leaked comes from . . . AGENTS! Mostly to drum up perception of a market for their client, sometimes to sabotage a deal.

Agents do things like get their friends in the media to plant stories on obscure blogs, then have their interns link to the blogs, which often get picked up by the Woj's and Aldridge's (who fact check by calling the agent who had the story planted and he gives them "off-the-record" confirmation).

I know this because my son worked as an intern for a MAJOR sports agent 15 years ago and his job was to link to the blogs and drum up "love" for clients on websites like Lakersground.net.

It was helpful information for me because I was working in TV and found out that an actress whose contract was up for negotiation was getting a huge number of hits on message boards, fan sites and early social media. A little investigation on our part caused us to suspect her agents were pushing it, so we did some polling on our own and found out her character was not as popular as the message boards indicated.

AS FOR SIMMONS' REPORT: I hate the guy, but he generally takes delight in bashing the Lakers. When he has info that is not derogatory about the Lakers, I tend to believe it. HOWEVER, it could just as easily have come from Vogel's people so that he wouldn't look like the rebound choice.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Where is Kevin McHale when you really need him.

Funny, but, in truth, McHell is NEVER truly needed...
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

If our championship hopes relied on Tyrone Lue, they never existed in the first place.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Rubin wrote:

90% of what is leaked comes from . . . [b]AGENTS! Mostly to drum up perception of a market for their client, sometimes to sabotage a deal.[/b]

Agents do things like get their friends in the media to plant stories on obscure blogs, then have their interns link to the blogs, which often get picked up by the Woj's and Aldridge's (who fact check by calling the agent who had the story planted and he gives them "off-the-record" confirmation).

I know this because my son worked as an intern for a MAJOR sports agent 15 years ago and his job was to link to the blogs and drum up "love" for clients on websites like Lakersground.net.

It was helpful information for me because I was working in TV and found out that an actress whose contract was up for negotiation was getting a huge number of hits on message boards, fan sites and early social media. A little investigation on our part caused us to suspect her agents were pushing it, so we did some polling on our own and found out her character was not as popular as the message boards indicated.

AS FOR SIMMONS' REPORT: I hate the guy, but he generally takes delight in bashing the Lakers. When he has info that is not derogatory about the Lakers, I tend to believe it. HOWEVER, it could just as easily have come from Vogel's people so that he wouldn't look like the rebound choice.

Agreed... but that doesn’t really fit in this case. Kyrie doesn’t need the market drummed up for him. He’s getting maxed wherever he chooses to go.

Not sure I see how Vogel’s people leaking that to Simmons makes sense since it doesn’t actually paint Vogel in a better light. “Hey, Lakers are hiring our guy Vogel since Kyrie doesn’t have beef with him.”

Maybe the best explanation is that there’s actually a decent chance Kyrie comes?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Rubin wrote:

90% of what is leaked comes from . . . [b]AGENTS! Mostly to drum up perception of a market for their client, sometimes to sabotage a deal.[/b]

Agreed... but that doesn’t really fit in this case. Kyrie doesn’t need the market drummed up for him. He’s getting maxed wherever he chooses to go.

Not sure I see how Vogel’s people leaking that to Simmons makes sense since it doesn’t actually paint Vogel in a better light. “Hey, Lakers are hiring our guy Vogel since Kyrie doesn’t have beef with him.”

Maybe the best explanation is that there’s actually a decent chance Kyrie comes?

Could very well be. LeBron had his pick of teams last summer and - on paper - the Lakers were the worst choice . . . but he's a Laker.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

Can we trade Bill Simmons for Ben Simmons?
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Bill Simmons is like Tokyo Rose -- pretending to care about our soldiers while secretly trying to demoralize them.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Man, the 5 minutes where we moved into the top 4 and had a chance Zion, he was apoplectic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: