Suddenly Luke Walton doesn't look so bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

Grodyman wrote:
Luke has his own problems. His tenure should tell you that if you have enough talent, i.e. Golden State, any coach can win.

If you don't have a lot of talent, coaching matters.

I would have thought that the Tale of Mark Jackson would have showed people that coaching matters even if you have a lot of talented players. It matters under any circumstance.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Grodyman wrote:
Luke has his own problems. His tenure should tell you that if you have enough talent, i.e. Golden State, any coach can win.

I would have thought that the Tale of Mark Jackson would have showed people that coaching matters even if you have a lot of talented players. It matters under any circumstance.

IMO that group would have won with or without Jackson but coaching does always matter.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
ocho wrote:
Grodyman wrote:

IMO that group would have won with or without Jackson but coaching does always matter.

But....they didn't. We saw it.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pio2u wrote:
ocho wrote:
Grodyman wrote:

But....they didn't. We saw it.

Just wait. We'll be hearing about how Jason Kidd "developed" the Bucks soon if they can win the title.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Luke should've been fired as soon as we got LeBron. He is the worst coach we've had by a solid country mile.

BScott says hello !

Both are equal in terms of coaching talent.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Suddenly Luke Walton doesn't look so bad

LAL4K3RS wrote:
To all the Luke Walton Haters, we just picked up a pair of mediocre coaches on the clearance rack of Target. This team is going to implode next year and we have two more seasons after that with LeBronze and his diva mentality. I bet next year he goes down in game 4 with another groin injury and is out for most of the year. This might sound bad but then you think about the fact that we trade very single young core player for a few broken vets and this team really starts to spin out of control. The good news is that based on what the Lakers are doing, we won't have LeBronze be mentioned as a GOAT ever again. I cannot imagine a worse pair of children to turn over the team to than the Jim and Jeanie show. Never thought I would ever hope for yet another Tank Season, but next year I really think we need to tank for about 3-4 more years and hopefully by then the Lakers will have been sold to someone who actually gives a crap about this team.

Word around the league is that he is a very respected coach....what ppl are (bleep) about is the WAY it came about

I dont care about any of that.....the guy has a reputation of being a fine x and o coach.....and Luke's idea of coaching was run the other team out of the gym.

Lets just wait and see
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

If you're talking about his coaching style/track record: nah he still looks bad.

If you're taking his personal life into account: holy hell this is a bad thread title.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I could care less who the coach is, so long as we get back to winning. Same for front office, owners, soft-drink providers, parking lot attendants, etc.

I didn't think Luke was a bad coach, I'd say he did a good job on the defensive end improving the team. Offensively, not so much, but if Ingram and Ball both shot 75-80% on free throws, we are probably 6-8 wins better, and Luke is still the coach.

Vogel very well may do a good job, maybe better than Luke would have done this year. But if our guys cant shoot, Moses as coach wouldn't make any difference.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I think coaching can be the difference in most situation between 10 wins.. and, for a title contender, the difference between winning a ring or not. However, you're not going to get a coach that will turn a borderline playoff team into a contender nor a contender into a borderline playoff team.

I don't think Luke was ever a real problem, just a scapegoat. He was set up to fail.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Luke was just too young imo.
I dont think it helps when you were drafted in the same class as the best player on the team.

We hired Dunleavy at age 37 iirc. He was a contemporary of Magic's. It was Dunleavy who hit the shot that ended our season in 81. Like I said though, he had Magic. They also had a tough start that year and Magic was grumbling, but soon it all went to roses as things usually did back then. People don't like Mike Dunleavy as a coaching candidate again either, but he at least had a clue even if he was gifted with a true leader who doesn't scheme against the rest of his teammates. I know Magic has been flaky in other endeavors, but he was dead serious as far as being a player was concerned.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think coaching can be the difference in most situation between 10 wins.. and, for a title contender, the difference between winning a ring or not. However, you're not going to get a coach that will turn a borderline playoff team into a contender nor a contender into a borderline playoff team.

I don't think Luke was ever a real problem, just a scapegoat. He was set up to fail.

I guess you could say the same thing about every coach that gets fired. It comes with the territory of having to coach in a big city, and top named team with high expectations. I will take that risk any time for 18 million bucks.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Suddenly Luke Walton doesn't look so bad

LAL4K3RS wrote:
To all the Luke Walton Haters, we just picked up a pair of mediocre coaches on the clearance rack of Target. This team is going to implode next year and we have two more seasons after that with LeBronze and his diva mentality. I bet next year he goes down in game 4 with another groin injury and is out for most of the year. This might sound bad but then you think about the fact that we trade very single young core player for a few broken vets and this team really starts to spin out of control. The good news is that based on what the Lakers are doing, we won't have LeBronze be mentioned as a GOAT ever again. I cannot imagine a worse pair of children to turn over the team to than the Jim and Jeanie show. Never thought I would ever hope for yet another Tank Season, but next year I really think we need to tank for about 3-4 more years and hopefully by then the Lakers will have been sold to someone who actually gives a crap about this team.

Luke didn't show anything that made him special. Though I wanted Lue, Vogel is already an upgrade over Luke. I just don't understand all this Jason Kidd love from Pelinda or Rambinka.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

^Luke took a bottom 5 defensive team and made them a top 10 defensive team, while dealing with three complete roster turn arounds, multiple key players on one year deals during each year of his tenure and the circus of dealing with Lebron (no less the typical LA limelight and pressures). We also won more games each year he coached despite significant injuries each year, the political backstabbing he had to deal with, the media pressures and the aforementioned problems regarding the roster.

There is a reason he wasn't even unemployed for a day.... whereas, in order to get hired after being unemployed without a sniff of interest for three years, Frank Vogel had to take a 3 year deal (with only two years guaranteed, when every other coach out there gets 5 year deals, 4 guaranteed), while agreeing to have an assistant on his staff who will likely be undermining him at every turn to just get his job.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^Luke took a bottom 5 defensive team and made them a top 10 defensive team, while dealing with three complete roster turn arounds, multiple key players on one year deals during each year of his tenure and the circus of dealing with Lebron (no less the typical LA limelight and pressures). We also won more games each year he coached despite significant injuries each year, the political backstabbing he had to deal with, the media pressures and the aforementioned problems regarding the roster.

There is a reason he wasn't even unemployed for a day.... whereas, in order to get hired after being unemployed without a sniff of interest for three years, Frank Vogel had to take a 3 year deal (with only two years guaranteed, when every other coach out there gets 5 year deals, 4 guaranteed), while agreeing to have an assistant on his staff who will likely be undermining him at every turn to just get his job.

The team actually did amazingly well right after the initial few losses this past season. I remember being 4th overall in the WC and our defense looked pretty decent overall. That is on Luke, and he had this team moving in the right direction until we started losing players to injuries. As soon as we started to hit the wall, LeBronze got his penis hurt and was out long enough to make any playoff chance impossible. To coach a team that also was told that every young player was on the table for AD pretty much killed any chance of getting this team turn around. No coach in their prime could have taken this (bleep) and turned it around after that horrific PR nightmare. I cannot wait to see Vogel and Kidd (bleep) the bed next season. Then all the people on here screaming about how Luke was terrible will be saying the same about Vogel. Then we hire another POS coach who is out of touch with the current NBA. Then we fire them. Then we finally get to see Lebronze leave the Lakers. By then, the Buss family will have sold the team and maybe the new owners will take them back to the Forum.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Come on, if the Lakers suddenly win 50+ games and get to the WCF next year no ones going to discuss Luke. We all know all of us are just happy with wins, doesnt matter what the coaches name is. Let's see what happens rather than pooping on them already.

It's not like there was a wide array of HoF candidates available.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

1. The grass on the other side always looks green

2. Suddenly history is being revised.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Come on, if the Lakers suddenly win 50+ games and get to the WCF next year no ones going to discuss Luke. We all know all of us are just happy with wins, doesnt matter what the coaches name is. Let's see what happens rather than pooping on them already.

You honestly think we are going to win 50 games? You feel like this team has what it takes to win games? You do remember what last year looked like right? Lebronze tried so hard he screwed up an inbound pass for a turnover. He checked out once the team started losing and he will check out again once we fail to land some decent talent. Every single player not named LeBronze doesn't want to be here. The organization gave up on them so why even try. So thinking we win 50 next year is just a pipe dream. We win 25-30 games next year tops. We see the firing of Vogel midseason and then we watch Kidd implode. We get another 4th round draft pick and we enter year 3 with more cap space than any other team and we won't find anyone who wants to come here. The Lakers are akin to making out with some random person at a leper colony.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
DrDent wrote:

You honestly think we are going to win 50 games? You feel like this team has what it takes to win games? You do remember what last year looked like right? Lebronze tried so hard he screwed up an inbound pass for a turnover. He checked out once the team started losing and he will check out again once we fail to land some decent talent. Every single player not named LeBronze doesn't want to be here. The organization gave up on them so why even try. So thinking we win 50 next year is just a pipe dream. We win 25-30 games next year tops. We see the firing of Vogel midseason and then we watch Kidd implode. We get another 4th round draft pick and we enter year 3 with more cap space than any other team and we won't find anyone who wants to come here. The Lakers are akin to making out with some random person at a leper colony.

You must be a hoot to hang out with
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:
DrDent wrote:

You must be a hoot to hang out with

Once, many years ago, I cheered on Kobe and win or lose, it was great basketball. Fast forward to today, and the airplane has slammed into the mountain and we the fans are eating the soccer team. At some point you just cannot get excited about the constant bad decisions. I put LeBronze in that BAD DECISION as we are now stuck with him for the next 3 years and we got zero hope of getting anyone to come to this team. WE get to resign Rondo to another 1 year contract. We get to hold on to a couple late recruits who cannot hit a three pointer when they are wide open. We get a core who was playing very well together prior to being thrown out of the Laker Buss. We watch other Lakers thrive in their new teams and we get to do all of these things year after year after year. We are effed in the a.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
No, Luke Walton still looks just the same as he always did.

Over rated......
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Suddenly I remembered he tried to force kuzma at the five and suddenly I remembered how he would make substitutions on schedule, despite having a hot hand.

Suddenly, I remember Luke saying we didn't need a shooting coach
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

If Luke wasn’t the son of Bill Walton he would have never made the NBA. That’s a fact. He was a terrible player and a terrible coach. The very fact that he was sucking around with so many lineups in the season when it was clear to even the most casual fan who is best players and lineups were was enough for me to know that he was a complete idiot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Suddenly I remembered he tried to force kuzma at the five and suddenly I remembered how he would make substitutions on schedule, despite having a hot hand.

Suddenly, I remember Luke saying we didn't need a shooting coach

I'm not mad at coach trying Kuz at the 5.
I'm mad about him keeping Kuz at the 5 once it wasn't working.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
If Luke wasn’t the son of Bill Walton he would have never made the NBA. That’s a fact. He was a terrible player and a terrible coach....

Luke was an ok NBA scrub for a few years. He was a pretty good passer and he developed decent post skills in his contract year. He would have been better if he had been signed to one year deals making every year a contract year. Once he got his deal his improvements as a player stopped and he seemed to decline each year after that.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
If Luke wasn’t the son of Bill Walton he would have never made the NBA. That’s a fact. He was a terrible player and a terrible coach....

Luke was an ok NBA scrub for a few years. He was a pretty good passer and he developed decent post skills in his contract year. He would have been better if he had been signed to one year deals making every year a contract year. Once he got his deal his improvements as a player stopped and he seemed to decline each year after that.

He was legit at Arizona I thought.
And I believe his big payday and poor play after coincided with his injuries.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: