Lakers fans are spoiled
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:
That's funny. Rambis wasn't even on anyone's radar until like a week ago. Once Magic left the media (and fans like you) just HAD to find another boogieman to be scurred of.

I don't agree with some of what you say, but this is dead on the money.

Is it? I don't think many were aware of the degree of involvement of the Rambii until this week.

It's not like we knew they've been heavily involved in decisions up until now. Well, I didn't anyway.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:
That's funny. Rambis wasn't even on anyone's radar until like a week ago. Once Magic left the media (and fans like you) just HAD to find another boogieman to be scurred of.

seems very simple to me. Magic kept the Rambis brain-trust at bay when he was President. Once he quit they scrambled into that power void.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Is it? I don't think many were aware of the degree of involvement of the Rambii until this week.

It's not like we knew they've been heavily involved in decisions up until now. Well, I didn't anyway.

I mean the bogeyman part. Have you noticed that, whenever something happens that people don't like, it's attributed to the Rambii?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers fans are spoiled

Batguano wrote:
1) We signed the best player in the game (and the GOAT according to a lot of people) this summer

2) We have capspace to sign a second max/star player this coming summer

3) We have young assets that we can grow into a third star or trade for one.

And people are losing their minds.

It took us only 2 years from the end of the Kobe Era (a golden era that saw us make the playoffs in the tough West 16 out of the 20 years, make 7 finals and win 5 championships filled with some of the greatest playoff and regular season moments in NBA history) to transition into the LeBron Era.

Lakers were so good at what they do that the league literally had to step in and do an illegal veto of a trade to stop us from continuing to dominate (CP3)

And yet people still complain.

And don't give me any of this "b-b-b-b-b-but we've missed the playoffs 6 times". That's how it goes in the new NBA. You're either on top or you have to bottom out. You can no longer stay in the middle-ground and hope to build a contender like we did between the Magic Era and the Kobe Era. Plus, Catch-22, if we didn't miss 6 years of playoffs we wouldn't have the young assets that we have now.

And yes, I know that there's NO GUARANTEES that a second star/max player will join us this summer, but that has nothing to do with the Lakers and everything to do with historical NBA precedence.

Besides Shaq and now LeBron all the star/HOF players that the Lakers have acquired in their history have been either through trades or the draft. It's just difficult to sign a star player in free agency, even for the Lakers. And yet we've already got one in LeBron. Who is better than any of the other star players people flipped out over us missing out on (Dwight, Melo, Lamarcus, PG13).

Stop getting brainwashed by the chicken little, flip-flopping media trying to paint us as the "Knicks of the West".

And for the people who say, "Well, LeBron came here because he wanted to." AND?!?! He STILL came! Lol. When has a player of LeBron's caliber ever gone to the Knicks voluntarily?

You are right Laker fans are spoiled.

But also some of them are pretty smart and observant.

You are right that we have max salary and we signed Lebron.

But these fans also recognized that this franchise is simply not the same since Dr. Buss passed away and his children took over.

That is why today, some fans actually held a protest while the national media are slamming the action of the management for their action with Tyronn Lue.

Also the resignation of Magic is starting to make sense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

We were spoiled with competent management for 30 years. Those days are gone.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't think competence is too much to ask for.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject:

While I appreciate the post, I personally find the reasoning flawed.

I do not believe we get Lebron without the FO looking stable last year. I mean, last year at this time, while the season wasnt a winning season, we stayed out of the negative headlines. Everything was all about who we may get. Have we so soon forgotten how many times we were snubbed by FA when things didnt look stable (Hello, Jimmy!)

Fast forward this year. Yep, we have LBJ, but the FO moves have been so perplexing and coming across as incompetent that it caused a freaking protest from Laker fans. When has that happened before? I dont have a recollection of that.

Perception plays a huge role. Plays a huge role in politics. Plays a huge role in advertising. Plays a huge role in attracting free agents. The past few months we bookend a series of curious/odd/bizzare decisions (excluding AD) with Magic quitting and then just now having the Lue situation making the FO look like @$$#ats and basically pissing off every media talk head...who, by the way, further feed into the negative perception of the Lakers, which in turn will trickle down to FA's etc, etc.

And in all this, the Lakers FO seems so oblivious..."let them eat cake" approach.

To quote what a poster said above, is competence so much to ask?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I disagree with the title of the thread. Simply because as Laker fans we have a standard of excellence we hold the franchise to be. It reminds me of the old Raider slogan.....a commitment to excellence (which if you follow the team these days they are very far from that standard), the fans there remember a franchise that won 3 Super Bowls, now they have a team that went thru a decade of mediocrity, had a brief period of competitiveness and are now back to mediocrity. Even at our lowest point, our franchise should never come close to the other mediocre teams in the league, yet the past couple of seasons we've had some pretty low points. The turmoil in the front office doesn't help things and gives the perception of things not going right which is bad for recruiting.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject:

Comes with the territory.
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Compared to the rest of the league, Lakers fan are indeed spoiled.

From execs, GM, coaches, players, trainers, all the way down to our cheerleaders many Lakers fans have lambasted without provocation just to point blame for the natural state of organizational ineptitude. Luckily, we haven't heard fans slamming the ball boys for lint left on the floor during spills.

Overall, the Lakers have been an extremely successful organization and many fans don't really know how to handle down times. It is indeed a case of being spoiled, and more than players or execs or even ball boys, it might be high time for some of the fans to go.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah we are certainly spoiled in terms of the success we had the last few decades but I don't see that as a license to be accepting of grossly incompetent management.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

We may be spoiled, but when you have a Kobe or LeBron, expectations are sky high. Missing the playoffs is flat out unacceptable, especially when a big part of it is LeBron showing bad leadership during the stretch of the season where we were supposed to get hot and make the playoffs on the back of an "activated LeBron."

That's just the reality of being a Laker fan. Those 16 world championships always put pressure on them to find the next megastar. This org has always been about building around star power, as opposed to the Spurs.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

2000 Los Angeles Lakers
2001 Los Angeles Lakers
2002 Los Angeles Lakers

2003 San Antonio Spurs
2004 Detroit Pistons
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2006 Miami Heat (Shaq)
2007 San Antonio Spurs
2008 Boston Celtics
2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2010 Los Angeles Lakers

2011 Dallas Mavericks

- The (Proposed) Trade
Hornets receive: F Lamar Odom (from Lakers), F Luis Scola (from Houston), G Kevin Martin (from Houston), G Goran Dragic (from Houston),

Houston receives: PF/C Pau Gasol (from Lakers)

Lakers receive: PG Chris Paul (from Hornets)

The (Actual) Trade
Hornets receive: C Chris Kaman, G Eric Gordon, F Al-Farouq Aminu, Timberwolves unprotected 2012 draft pick (Austin Rivers)

Clippers receive: PG Chris Paul

-This is the start of all the Lakers problems

2012 Miami Heat

- Nash trade
- Dwight signing
- Buss death
- Kobe Achilles
- Last Playoff Appearance

2013 Miami Heat

-Old, No youth
-Lost Dwight for nothing
-Lost Gasol for nothing
-Kobe out for the year
-Basically starting from scratch

2014 San Antonio Spurs

-Our first Loterry Pick after all the success due to our 27-55 record on the previous season (Julius & JC)
-Start of the rebuild
-New Coach in Scott
-Julius out the whole year
-Aging star in Kobe hoping he regain his old self

2015 Golden State Warriors

-Our Youth (Julius, JC, Nance, Dlo)
-Kobe's last year

2016 Cleveland Cavaliers

-New era without Kobe
-New Coach in Walton
-Moz/Deng Disaster
-Our Youth (Julius, JC, Dlo, Nance, BI, Zu)
-New FO of Magic n Pelinka Feb 2017 came in with no cap space and no stars to build and far removed from a championship or playoff team

2017 Golden State Warriors

- Our youth (Julius, JC, Ball, BI, Zu, Kuz, Hart)
- Setup with 2 max possible contract

2018 Golden State Warriors

- Our youth (Ball, Kuz, BI, Hart, Wagner)
- LBJ signed
- Max contract space

We are absolutely spoiled, we started from scratch 2013 with an aging Kobe and no youth to build. Took 5 years to finally acquire assets and get a superstar in the team. But every year is the same complaint. Realistically we are in the uptrend now with one big move to push us over the hump. Love the passion but we are definitely spoiled. And also the fact the no one in the league is willing to help us get back to prominence makes it double difficult.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I think we're definitely spoiled to the extent that we expect championships. Let's be realistic -- we were very lucky to win as many as we did in a 30 year span. It's unlikely that we will EVER replicate that, so we should stop trying.

That doesn't mean, however, that we should excuse or come to accept a downright stupid front office.

As a fan, I would be happy with a competent front office that makes informed decisions based on solid analysis, not whims, fancies, and the opinions of best friends. That would give us the best chance of being competent in the long run, which is really all you can hope far.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
As a fan, I would be happy with a competent front office that makes informed decisions based on solid analysis, not whims, fancies, and the opinions of best friends. That would give us the best chance of being competent in the long run, which is really all you can hope far.

Exactly
Shaqman55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Two things required for championship:
1. Great talent
2. Solid organization/ culture

We have a small amount of 1... and probably none of 2. Arguably you need a solid organization first. Following are examples:

2000s Lakers (Jerry West, Jerry Buss, Phil)
2000s-2010s Spurs (Pop, RC Buford)
2011-2013 Heat (Riley, Spo)
Late 2010s Warriors (Kerr, Jerry West)

The Lakers lost this when Dr Buss passed and they never could figure out what it was they lost... it was respect. Respect for the organization and respect/fear from other orgs. That’s what gets you talent... when other orgs fear and respect you, players also fear and respect you and want to play for you.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah we are certainly spoiled in terms of the success we had the last few decades but I don't see that as a license to be accepting of grossly incompetent management.

Worst record in the league, no playoffs over the last six years and you are the Lakers.

When people said the Chris Paul deal would cripple us for a decade, I guess they weren't kidding.....at some point, things will turn and we will be back with memories of our time outside the wall.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: