Trade or Keep Laker’s 4th Pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lakers 4th Pick - Keep or Trade?
Keep & draft prospect
29%
 29%  [ 60 ]
Trade in package for AD
50%
 50%  [ 103 ]
Trade in package for Bradley Beal
9%
 9%  [ 20 ]
Trade in package for someone else
9%
 9%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 202

Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

Lakers eye impact player or trade with 4th pick

Quote:
Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka said the team will either draft an impact player or try to see what it can get on the trade market after the team surprisingly leaped from 11th to fourth overall.

"This is a powerful asset for us," an ecstatic Pelinka said on a conference call. "We owe a commitment to our fans to have an outstanding season next year. What this does is it gives us the ability to either select an impact player at [No.] 4 or possibly use this as an extremely valuable asset in trade."

The Lakers are fixated on landing another max-free-agent star to help LeBron James, and they could have $32.5 million to use in free agency.

Quote:
This is the fourth time in five years that the Lakers will pick in the top four of the lottery after having the second overall pick in 2015 (D'Angelo Russell), 2016 (Ingram) and 2017 (Ball). ESPN NBA draft analyst Jonathan Givony has Vanderbilt 6-foot-3 guard Darius Garland, Virginia 6-8 defensive forward De'Andre Hunter, Texas Tech 6-6 guard Jarrett Culver and Duke 6-9 forward Cam Reddish at Nos. 4-7 in his draft prospect rankings.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26749837/lakers-eye-impact-player-trade-4th-pick
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

Really depends on the trade package. I mean AD should still be considered a rental for any team but the Lakers. We should wield that leverage no matter what others teams opinion of that is.

I’m not getting into any bidding war with the damn Knicks or Green Team for sure. Let the Knicks give up #3 and more (max Kyrie, max KD, rental AD), or Boston (trading Scary Terry, Brown, and Green Mamba Tatum) destroy themselves for Brow. Have at it. Bottom line is that NO is betting the farm that AD stays if Zion is the true savior the League wants us to believe - and not an Anthony Bennett re-run.

Why make a conference foe more powerful? Because of desperation when we don’t have to act desperate? Nah, fam.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
Trade the pick, after Zion and Ja....the drop-off is huge

Then why would a team want to trade anything meaningful for it?

Shedding salary. Sell the fan base on a re-birth/re-build.

It is a crap shoot after #3. However, there will be someone good selected after that point.

#4 is an opportunity. It just may fail.

Try to move the risk to someone else.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Lakers eye impact player or trade with 4th pick

Quote:
Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka said the team will either draft an impact player or try to see what it can get on the trade market after the team surprisingly leaped from 11th to fourth overall.

"This is a powerful asset for us," an ecstatic Pelinka said on a conference call. "We owe a commitment to our fans to have an outstanding season next year. What this does is it gives us the ability to either select an impact player at [No.] 4 or possibly use this as an extremely valuable asset in trade."

The Lakers are fixated on landing another max-free-agent star to help LeBron James, and they could have $32.5 million to use in free agency.

Quote:
This is the fourth time in five years that the Lakers will pick in the top four of the lottery after having the second overall pick in 2015 (D'Angelo Russell), 2016 (Ingram) and 2017 (Ball). ESPN NBA draft analyst Jonathan Givony has Vanderbilt 6-foot-3 guard Darius Garland, Virginia 6-8 defensive forward De'Andre Hunter, Texas Tech 6-6 guard Jarrett Culver and Duke 6-9 forward Cam Reddish at Nos. 4-7 in his draft prospect rankings.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26749837/lakers-eye-impact-player-trade-4th-pick

This article makes me laugh. What other options does any team have with a draft pick? No matter where you land your pick, your hope is to draft an impact player or trade it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I love how the "Trade LBJ" crowd is slithering through so many threads. Get over it, it ain't happening (at least not this year and def only if he demands it).

Well, it's evened out because you're popping up everywhere to contest every "trade LeBron" suggestion.

I didn't realize you'd become such a Bronner, it's been less than a year! If he was younger, I'd totally understand... but at age 34 (soon to be 35)?

I'm not. It's just ridiculous that the trade LBJ mantra lives rent free in these posters' heads, when we know it's very unlikely it happens. How about hoping and rooting that he and the team does well? Maybe that's too old school.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

It is a crap shoot after #3. However, there will be someone good selected after that point.

So we will trade a 4th pick to help a team that's trying to shed salary?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

Best case scenario is we keep it because we’ve used our cap space signing FAs. Hunter is the type of player we need. Plays extremely hard, defends, rebounds and can make the open shot but doesn’t need to ball. I think it could be any of him, Culver, White, Reddish, Garland. I haven’t seen Garland but as of now my list is
Hunter
White
Culver
Reddish
Garland
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
The simplest answer is we acquire a max free agent - KL, Kyrie, or Kemba (maybe Butler, but I'd prefer our max free agent to be a better perimeter player than Lebron) . Then we acquire the best fit for our needs, which if we get a guard in free agency, is likely a forward. Now if we go with Butler or Vuc. as a free agent, then we draft a guard.

The big problem is the draft comes BEFORE free agency - you cannot wait to see who you sign before you make the pick.

A somewhat lesser problem is that picks seem to have less value once they're made, E.G.: if you draft Cam Reddish with the number 4 pick and then try to put him in a package for AD, Reddish is less attractive than having the pick itself because NO will have a choice of players and would not be locked in to Reddish there.

IIRC, teams can make trades between now and the draft if they're out of the playoffs - they just cannot trade expiring contracts. That is problematic for us because we won't have capspace until the contracts expire on June 30. So to trade for AD (or any high dollar player), the deal will have to include some combo of BI/Zo to make salaries fit.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I think the Pelicans are still going to try and be dicks about this and ask for most of our young core in addition to the pick. They will use NYK and others as leverage. I say keep the pick and try to sign a max FA.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Pels aren't going to do us any favors 'cuz they don't have to. I fear we'd get short changed in any kind of deal for AD.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
I think the Pelicans are still going to try and be dicks about this and ask for most of our young core in addition to the pick. They will use NYK and others as leverage. I say keep the pick and try to sign a max FA.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Pels aren't going to do us any favors 'cuz they don't have to. I fear we'd get short changed in any kind of deal for AD.

And I'm sure they're aware we're not going to do them any favors either.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

So we will trade a 4th pick to help a team that's trying to shed salary?

Maybe. If we add talent.

Teams do it all the time. This isn't a new concept.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

But we'd have AD.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
The simplest answer is we acquire a max free agent - KL, Kyrie, or Kemba (maybe Butler, but I'd prefer our max free agent to be a better perimeter player than Lebron) . Then we acquire the best fit for our needs, which if we get a guard in free agency, is likely a forward. Now if we go with Butler or Vuc. as a free agent, then we draft a guard.

The big problem is the draft comes BEFORE free agency - you cannot wait to see who you sign before you make the pick.

That's why the system needs to be re-worked.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

But we'd have AD.

This. Bird in the hand.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

I call up NO and tell them they can have the 4th, 2021 1st, and 2 of 3 between Ball, Ingram, and Kuzma. If they want the deal, great, if not then we move on without further negotiations...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:

Can we beat?... Knox + Robinson + #3 and maybe DSJ/Lance Thomas with a chance of pairing Barrett with Zion again?

I think our young guys are better than Knox/Robinson or even DSJ/Lance, no?
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

I guess it all depends on how confident the Lakers are in signing one of the upper tier free agents.

If their confident in signing one, I think they should keep the pick and consider a trade that involves some combo of the young guys for a third player who maybe is an uber vet role player....that allows us to bring us in player who can help us compete while keeping a pretty solid youthful depth
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

They can be dicks but their leverage is not that high since AD is an expiring... they can screw both us and themselves by accepting lesser value package
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Which option would you rather choose:

4th pick/BI/Kuz/Zo to NO for AD

Or

4th pick/BI/Hart to Wizards for Bradley Beal

With option 2, we get to keep Lonzo and Kuz while also adding a Marquee FA.

LeBron/Irving/Beal/Kuz/Zo
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Or

Neither. That’s too much for AD and Beal should only be traded for if we strike out in FA.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

They can be dicks but their leverage is not that high since AD is an expiring... they can screw both us and themselves by accepting lesser value package

They aren't going to do anything that doesn't do what they believe to benefit them most.

They aren't interested in screwing us, only serving themselves.
BotPoster24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Or

This is tough and would depend on free agency outcome. I wouldn’t like giving up Ingram for Beal.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

They aren't going to do anything that doesn't do what they believe to benefit them most.

They aren't interested in screwing us, only serving themselves.

Hope you're right, Rumors the Pels owners don't like the Lakers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Can we beat?... Knox + Robinson + #3 and maybe DSJ/Lance Thomas with a chance of pairing Barrett with Zion again?

I think our young guys are better than Knox/Robinson or even DSJ/Lance, no?

not that I want to trade Lonzo, but a Jrue/Lonzo backcourt may be one of, if not the best, defensive backcourts in the NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

Hey, how about the 4th and cap space to OKC for PG13?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: