OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1245, 1246, 1247 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I can already see the Ramona article.

"There were some in the organization who were reluctant to do the deal, but Kurt felt the chance to get AD, who could be a future Laker Legend, was too good to pass up and signed off on the trade. This was a big step for Kurt toward becoming the dominant voice in the Lakers' front office."

And I can already see the media spin. Allow me to give you the two versions:

Lakers get AD
Woj: "In speaking with several executives around the league, they were shocked at what the Lakers gave up for a player they feel is similar to Kevin Love, racking up stats on average-to-below-average teams and who is best suited for a #2 or even #3 role on a title team."

Windhorst: "David Griffin is the early favorite for Executive Of The Year honors, and he essentially fleeced whomever is running the Lakers in this deal. Lonzo Ball and Jarrett Culver and Kyle Kuzma have incredible potential and now Griffin gets to start his tenure with Zion plus the haul from the Lakers and now he can look to move Jrue for even more assets."

Any other team gets AD
Woj: "What a seismic shift this is in the NBA, for (insert team here) to get a generational big man like Davis, who can spread the floor, fly to the rim in transition, and anchor a defense. Credit (insert executive here) for getting this done, and as for the Lakers, apparently they were asleep at the wheel yet again."

Windhorst: "The Lakers miss the boat yet again, as they refused to part with the likes of Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, and Kyle Kuzma, guys are aren't even sure things and who aren't likely to ever be All-Stars. What a major setback for LeBron James, who I have to imagine is going to ask for a trade."

Lol, totally. The only way to get a positive media spin is if they can do the deal without one of Lonzo or Ingram.

I actually think it's quite plausible that we will be able to do that. But I'm probably too optimistic in my proposal of Lonzo/#4/Wagner/Bonga/Jemerrio Jones and future picks. But I do think that by adding Kuzma in there, or certainly both Kuzma and Hart, that we'd have a strong bid. I don't think it will take all 3 of our best assets (Lonzo/BI/#4), because I don't see who is beating that offer in this marketplace. You never know about a surprise team, and I know yinoma floated an idea of CJ McCollum for AD, but I just don't think that's what Griffin wants to do. I don't think that fits their new timeline with Zion. I think they are going to want to go young and build it back up, not try to compete on the fly. Indiana and San Antonio were trying to still compete on the fly when they traded PG and Kawhi, respectively. They didn't want to just go young and accumulate assets. I believe that Griffin will, however.

Bonga and Wagner are non-assets. I know there's some enthusiasm about Bonga around here, but I don't see it. Sun Yue 1.1. Wagner is a 9th man at best. Every team can offer future picks, so that's basically cancelled out.

So you're offering Ball/#4/Kuzma/Hart. Might get to keep Hart if the trade puts NO over the roster limit.

Compare:

Knicks: Knox/DSJ/Mitchell Robinson/#3/2 future Dallas 1st rounders.

Ball is probably the best prospect here, but Mitchell Robinson would be next. The Knicks have the higher pick and they can offer two more first rounders than we can, first rounders that won't automatically become late 20s picks just by having AD on your team. And Ball's value is mitigated by his reported refusal to play there and the fact he can't play more than 50 games. I don't think we have the slam dunk best offer. Especially since we're in-conference and the Knicks are not.

Clippers: SGA/Shamet/Harrell/Robinson/Heat pick

SGA>>Lonzo Ball.
Shamet/Harrell>Hart/Kuzma (especially if Kuz can't find his shot or learn to defend)
Heat pick could be better than the #4 or at least of equivalent value.

Both offers are close enough for Griffin to drag it out and get the Lakers to cough up Ingram, especially since they couldn't stomach the idea of AD going to the Clippers. Kawhi passing on the Lakers and AD ending up with him on the Clippers, and making a deep playoff run, with a path to the Finals wide open is an absolute nightmare for Jeanie.

The Lonzo slander is getting ridiculous.

You like Lonzo more than SGA? I don't think that's slander. I like Lonzo, i just think highly of SGA.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
You think Mitchell Robinson has more value than the #4 pick in this draft? No way, man. I know it's a weak draft but still, no.

I would also dispute that SGA is better than Ball, even though he has an extra year of team control and even though he is the better shooter. I suppose some could disagree, sure.

I was talking about current players. THe knicks #3 pick trumps our #4

In order of player asset value its:

1. SGA
2. Lonzo
3. Mitchell Robinson
4. Knox
5. Shamet
6. Kuzma
7. DSJ
8. Harrell
9. Hart

The damn Lonzo slander!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

SGA played in all 82 games + 6 playoff games this year.
That's 10 less games than Lonzo has played in two seasons
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I can already see the Ramona article.

"There were some in the organization who were reluctant to do the deal, but Kurt felt the chance to get AD, who could be a future Laker Legend, was too good to pass up and signed off on the trade. This was a big step for Kurt toward becoming the dominant voice in the Lakers' front office."

And I can already see the media spin. Allow me to give you the two versions:

Lakers get AD
Woj: "In speaking with several executives around the league, they were shocked at what the Lakers gave up for a player they feel is similar to Kevin Love, racking up stats on average-to-below-average teams and who is best suited for a #2 or even #3 role on a title team."

Windhorst: "David Griffin is the early favorite for Executive Of The Year honors, and he essentially fleeced whomever is running the Lakers in this deal. Lonzo Ball and Jarrett Culver and Kyle Kuzma have incredible potential and now Griffin gets to start his tenure with Zion plus the haul from the Lakers and now he can look to move Jrue for even more assets."

Any other team gets AD
Woj: "What a seismic shift this is in the NBA, for (insert team here) to get a generational big man like Davis, who can spread the floor, fly to the rim in transition, and anchor a defense. Credit (insert executive here) for getting this done, and as for the Lakers, apparently they were asleep at the wheel yet again."

Windhorst: "The Lakers miss the boat yet again, as they refused to part with the likes of Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, and Kyle Kuzma, guys are aren't even sure things and who aren't likely to ever be All-Stars. What a major setback for LeBron James, who I have to imagine is going to ask for a trade."

Lol, totally. The only way to get a positive media spin is if they can do the deal without one of Lonzo or Ingram.

I actually think it's quite plausible that we will be able to do that. But I'm probably too optimistic in my proposal of Lonzo/#4/Wagner/Bonga/Jemerrio Jones and future picks. But I do think that by adding Kuzma in there, or certainly both Kuzma and Hart, that we'd have a strong bid. I don't think it will take all 3 of our best assets (Lonzo/BI/#4), because I don't see who is beating that offer in this marketplace. You never know about a surprise team, and I know yinoma floated an idea of CJ McCollum for AD, but I just don't think that's what Griffin wants to do. I don't think that fits their new timeline with Zion. I think they are going to want to go young and build it back up, not try to compete on the fly. Indiana and San Antonio were trying to still compete on the fly when they traded PG and Kawhi, respectively. They didn't want to just go young and accumulate assets. I believe that Griffin will, however.

Bonga and Wagner are non-assets. I know there's some enthusiasm about Bonga around here, but I don't see it. Sun Yue 1.1. Wagner is a 9th man at best. Every team can offer future picks, so that's basically cancelled out.

So you're offering Ball/#4/Kuzma/Hart. Might get to keep Hart if the trade puts NO over the roster limit.

Compare:

Knicks: Knox/DSJ/Mitchell Robinson/#3/2 future Dallas 1st rounders.

Ball is probably the best prospect here, but Mitchell Robinson would be next. The Knicks have the higher pick and they can offer two more first rounders than we can, first rounders that won't automatically become late 20s picks just by having AD on your team. And Ball's value is mitigated by his reported refusal to play there and the fact he can't play more than 50 games. I don't think we have the slam dunk best offer. Especially since we're in-conference and the Knicks are not.

Clippers: SGA/Shamet/Harrell/Robinson/Heat pick

SGA>>Lonzo Ball.
Shamet/Harrell>Hart/Kuzma (especially if Kuz can't find his shot or learn to defend)
Heat pick could be better than the #4 or at least of equivalent value.

Both offers are close enough for Griffin to drag it out and get the Lakers to cough up Ingram, especially since they couldn't stomach the idea of AD going to the Clippers. Kawhi passing on the Lakers and AD ending up with him on the Clippers, and making a deep playoff run, with a path to the Finals wide open is an absolute nightmare for Jeanie.

The Lonzo slander is getting ridiculous.

You like Lonzo more than SGA? I don't think that's slander. I like Lonzo, i just think highly of SGA.

That double greater than (>>) though
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
2019 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
All you AD pipe dreamers, dream of some other player if you want your dreams to come true.

dream of Kawhi

AD feels unlikely

I'm an optimist and I'm hoping for both. But don't want to trade every young piece to get AD; if that's what it will take to get him, I'd rather just get a max guy and keep the depth and go to war, while still being able to potentially swing a different trade for an All-Star somewhere down the road.

I don't get the posters who are so quick to poo-poo the chances of getting AD. Our chances have gone up significantly since the Lottery results.

AD if he really wants to be a Laker can just chill for a year.

Not if we sign a max guy. We wouldn't have the cap space. I think it's now or never. If we punt cap space yet again on LeBron's second season, I mean, why the hell did we sign him? It's time to sink or swim.

We sign a max guy this year and AD still wants to come here via free agency.

Fire sale.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Okay, maybe the double greater than was too much. Maybe 1.5 greater thans.

I just think he's a better player and way more durable.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

It really would make sense for the Pelicans to agree to a trade with a team on Draft night, so that they know who they are picking if a trade includes draft picks this year. As far as the Lakers are concerned, the threat of holding the cap space open for Davis next year could still exist on Draft night, even if I loathe the idea of us doing that again. I think other teams will be willing to make a play for him as a one-year rental, but I think he's said he would only re-sign in L.A. or New York. (I truly think Boston won't be a part of this in the end.) If push comes to shove, I think we can outbid the Knicks, as the difference between the #3 pick and the #4 pick this year is pretty negligible. And while the Clippers could be a threat, I question whether or not they even want to be that aggressive for Davis.

I suppose I'd take "the field" as the favorite to get AD if I were a betting man, but I think we have a realistic shot. I guess it's also possible that the Knicks will feel totally desperate, will offer everything, and we just don't feel like it's worth it to give up the "Godfather offer."
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It really would make sense for the Pelicans to agree to a trade with a team on Draft night, so that they know who they are picking if a trade includes draft picks this year. As far as the Lakers are concerned, the threat of holding the cap space open for Davis next year could still exist on Draft night, even if I loathe the idea of us doing that again. I think other teams will be willing to make a play for him as a one-year rental, but I think he's said he would only re-sign in L.A. or New York. (I truly think Boston won't be a part of this in the end.) If push comes to shove, I think we can outbid the Knicks, as the difference between the #3 pick and the #4 pick this year is pretty negligible. And while the Clippers could be a threat, I question whether or not they even want to be that aggressive for Davis.

I suppose I'd take "the field" as the favorite to get AD if I were a betting man, but I think we have a realistic shot. I guess it's also possible that the Knicks will feel totally desperate, will offer everything, and we just don't feel like it's worth it to give up the "Godfather offer."

They already announced their intentions for AD.

They want to keep him.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
2019 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
All you AD pipe dreamers, dream of some other player if you want your dreams to come true.

dream of Kawhi

AD feels unlikely

I'm an optimist and I'm hoping for both. But don't want to trade every young piece to get AD; if that's what it will take to get him, I'd rather just get a max guy and keep the depth and go to war, while still being able to potentially swing a different trade for an All-Star somewhere down the road.

I don't get the posters who are so quick to poo-poo the chances of getting AD. Our chances have gone up significantly since the Lottery results.

Not if we sign a max guy. We wouldn't have the cap space. I think it's now or never. If we punt cap space yet again on LeBron's second season, I mean, why the hell did we sign him? It's time to sink or swim.

Fire sale.

Lebron + Butler/Kawhi max + renounce everyone = 23 mil in cap space.

It can't be done. It's trade for him or bust.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:

If we could trade for Beal and keep Ingram and Lonzo, I'd much rather have Beal than AD.

I'd be tempted to trade for Beal on draft night if all it took was Kuzma and #4 and give up the chance of signing another max star in FA.

Lebron, Beal, Ingram and Ball are a good enough to compete for championship. We'd also still have $20m in cap room to build out a deep bench.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
2019 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

dream of Kawhi

AD feels unlikely

Fire sale.

Lebron + Butler/Kawhi max + renounce everyone = 23 mil in cap space.

It can't be done. It's trade for him or bust.

WRONG.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

If I were Griffin I'd do the trade with the Knicks.
Have them draft Garland.

Then trade AD for Mitchell, Kevin, Frank, Garland, 2020 1st, 2021 Dallas 1st

Jrue . Garland
Moore . Frank
Knox .
Zion .
Mitchell
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

2020-21 LAKERS SALARY

Bron-40M

Kawhi-33

Cap-109M

36M left for AD and rest.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Page 1 of this thread has the numbers
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
If we could trade for Beal and keep Ingram and Lonzo, I'd much rather have Beal than AD.

I'd be tempted to trade for Beal on draft night if all it took was Kuzma and #4 and give up the chance of signing another max star in FA.

Lebron, Beal, Ingram and Ball are a good enough to compete for championship. We'd also still have $20m in cap room to build out a deep bench.

#4 and Kuz for Beal would be awesome. And yes, we could use FA money to hopefully sign good guys to multi-year deals. Get Brook Lopez and McGee back.

PG: Lonzo
SG: Beal
SF: Ingram
PF: Lebron
C: Brook.

The floor spacing
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
2020-21 LAKERS SALARY

Bron-40M

Kawhi-33

Cap-109M

Are you counting the 8.4 million for 9 minimum holds (933k each) and Luol Deng's 5 million stretch?

SOmeone's about to get Bard up his ass
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Cap Space Math in Trading for Anthony Davis Mid-2019/2020 Season After Signing a <10 Year Max Free Agent in Summer 2019
Assuming we keep the #4 pick, the only way to get both an under 10 year max player like Kawhi plus Anthony Davis is to (in order) (1) sign a max free agent, (3) sign a room exception guy, and (3) trade for Davis in the mid-season 2019/2020 trade deadline using both two of Ball/Ingram/#4 pick + the MLE guy + one (if we keep our #4 pick player) or two (if we keep one of Ball or Ingram) of Kuzma, Hart, Wagner, Bongo and/or a vet min. guy.

Here is how our cap situation will likely look next season assuming we sign Kawhi and wait to trade for AD -

$37,430,000......LeBron James (1)
$32,700,000......Kawhi Leonard (2)
$8,719,320........Lonzo Ball (3)
$7,265,485........Brandon Ingram (4)
$6,327,177...……#4 2019 1st Round Pick (5)
$4,760,450........Room Exception (6)
$2,164,680........Moritz Wagner (7)
$2,000,000........8+ Year Vet Min. (8)
$2,000,000........8+ Year Vet Min. (9)
$1,974,600........Kyle Kuzma (10)
$1,934,160........Josh Hart (11)
$1,416,852........Isaac Bonga (12)

$4,992,994........Luol Deng (1 year $14,977,482 Stretched over 3 Years)
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
2020-21 LAKERS SALARY

Bron-40M

Kawhi-33

Cap-109M

Are you counting the 8.4 million for 9 minimum holds (933k each) and Luol Deng's 5 million stretch?

there's a loophole on the min holds right?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
2020-21 LAKERS SALARY

Bron-40M

Kawhi-33

Cap-109M

Not aware of the loophole.

I just ran the numbers on Shamsports capulator. Renounced every player. Just Kawhi (34 mil) and Lebron (39) and Deng (5) on the books. 9 min holds gives us 25.8 mil in cap space. A little over 8 short of AD's max.

Oof, having to fill the roster with 9 vet mins. There's a team that can't afford any injuries.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, if we're getting AD, it has to be now, unless we punt cap space again. And I can't go through that again, and, more importantly, I'm not sure LeBron will want to, either.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Brook Lopez price just went up...
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
2020-21 LAKERS SALARY

Bron-40M

Kawhi-33

Cap-109M

I just ran the numbers on Shamsports capulator. Renounced every player. Just Kawhi (34 mil) and Lebron (39) and Deng (5) on the books. 9 min holds gives us 25.8 mil in cap space. A little over 8 short of AD's max.

Oof, having to fill the roster with 9 vet mins. There's a team that can't afford any injuries.

A cap hold called an "incomplete roster charge" if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks). This charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12. For example, if there are 11 players included in team salary, then an amount equal to the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary5; if the roster is completely empty, then 12 times the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary. This charge only applies during the offseason.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
2020-21 LAKERS SALARY

Bron-40M

Kawhi-33

Cap-109M

A cap hold called an "incomplete roster charge" if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks). This charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12. For example, if there are 11 players included in team salary, then an amount equal to the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary5; if the roster is completely empty, then 12 times the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary. This charge only applies during the offseason.

Isn't the offseason traditionally when we're trying to sign free agents?
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject:

The AD ship has long since sailed.

The best bet for us is to sign a marquee free agent and roll the dice with it.

LeBron, Kuz, BI, Lonzo, FA TBD, +#4 pick should be enough for us to contend.

We have the cap space.

The #4 pick should be packaged in a trade for a dead eye shooter to spread the floor and open things up for BI/LBJ.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
The AD ship has long since sailed.

The best bet for us is to sign a marquee free agent and roll the dice with it.

LeBron, Kuz, BI, Lonzo, FA TBD, +#4 pick should be enough for us to contend.

We have the cap space.

The #4 pick should be packaged in a trade for a dead eye shooter to spread the floor and open things up for BI/LBJ.

If you want to keep all the young kids except for the #4 and if you are expecting to sign a max free agent, we can't take back too much salary in a trade of the #4 pick. Certainly not anyone that is an All-Star or a borderline All-Star on his second NBA contract.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1245, 1246, 1247 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 1246 of 8560
Jump to: