Suddenly Luke Walton doesn't look so bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject:

The only reason Luke lost his job is that Lebron wasn't sold on him.
When you go around the league to get advice on how to coach LBJ, that's sort of a huge red flag to me. Nothing wrong with what Luke did if this were a typical job. However the fact that he needed to do that, showed his inexperience. Then when the season actually unfolded, clearly Lebron and Luke never developed that relationship and respect.

You look at all the best players in the league, the one's that are doing well, or the best, do so for a coach they love or whose system they love. I never saw that with LBJ and Luke.

Had we never signed LBJ, Luke would still be our coach. He was the right guy up until we signed LBJ. LBJ's camp was pushing for Kidd mid-way into the season. LBJ's camp got what they wanted. This is a player's league. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
When you go around the league to get advice on how to coach LBJ, that's sort of a huge red flag to me. Nothing wrong with what Luke did if this were a typical job. However the fact that he needed to do that, showed his inexperience. Then when the season actually unfolded, clearly Lebron and Luke never developed that relationship and respect.

You look at all the best players in the league, the one's that are doing well, or the best, do so for a coach they love or whose system they love. I never saw that with LBJ and Luke.

Had we never signed LBJ, Luke would still be our coach. He was the right guy up until we signed LBJ. LBJ's camp was pushing for Kidd mid-way into the season. LBJ's camp got what they wanted. This is a player's league. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Luke was awful - the next adjustment he makes will be the first adjustment.

The offense was run down the floor and try to get a mismatch, or die in the half court.

The defense was watch-the-ball-and-get-beaten-on-cuts-and-lobs-every-time.

Yes, he had young players.

Yes, he had constant roster turnover.

No, he did not have a coherent system on either offense or defense.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject:

As soon as LeBron came by, it was a sink or swim situation.

Before LeBron, the expectations were slow and steady improvement.

With LeBron, it was we better be competing for the WCF or NBA Finals.

The team and Luke sinked.

Coaches get the blame and they are gone.

Bye.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
LeBronze

Haha! That's a new one. Did you mean it like... Gold medal - MJ? Silver medal - Kobe? Bronze medal - LeBron?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Luke was awful - the next adjustment he makes will be the first adjustment.

The offense was run down the floor and try to get a mismatch, or die in the half court.

The defense was watch-the-ball-and-get-beaten-on-cuts-and-lobs-every-time.

Yes, he had young players.

Yes, he had constant roster turnover.

No, he did not have a coherent system on either offense or defense.

I think he thought he could run similar to GST, but GST had more talent and IQ. Dray Green, Steph, Iggy, these are all very high IQ players who move the ball to get the best shot. He thought he could come in to LA and have the same culture and what not, without really looking at the players he had weren't nearly as smart or adapt at moving the ball. The players in LA needed more structure and specific sets, with some discipline. As they were younger players with less BBall IQ.

I do think given time, and had the team kept Randle, Lopez, like he wanted. Had they not signed LBJ, and instead maybe signed someone like Paul George. I think Luke would have succeeded. However the moment we signed Lebron, let players that fit in Luke's coaching schemes (JR and Brook) go, it was going to go downhill. With Lebron you need a coach that has a strong personality and is willing to get into it with him. Someone that can use Lebron's incredible ability within a team concept IE make other players feel useful. Luke didn't do that. A little surprising, considering he played with Kobe, and was coached by Phil.

I don't know if Vogel/Kidd will be better than Luke in schemes. Probably not. The advanced numbers on Vogel aren't pretty on offense. However at the very least Vogel/Kidd will command Lebron's respect. Kidd because of his resume as a player (and that LBJ's group seems to have wanted him). Vogel because of his passionate direct approach. I would not be surprised if our schemes were still not very good though. In their last jobs, neither Vogel or Kidd impressed with their schemes. Both their teams got better once they left. That's not a good look for either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:
LeBronze

Haha! That's a new one. Did you mean it like... Gold medal - MJ? Silver medal - Kobe? Bronze medal - LeBron?

Are you being sarcastic?
Lol. The name came up when Team USA led by LeBron got the bronze in 2004.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Vogel has more and better experience than Luke...!
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I think he’s a decent coach. But his rotations were unforgivable. And he surrounded himself with his drinking buddies instead of smart basketball minds like Kerr has. He was never gonna get any better that way.

Kidd is probably our next coach unless Vogel has big success year 1. We’ll just have to see how it shakes out but pineing for Luke back is silly.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
I think he’s a decent coach. But his rotations were unforgivable. And he surrounded himself with his drinking buddies instead of smart basketball minds like Kerr has. He was never gonna get any better that way.

Kidd is probably our next coach unless Vogel has big success year 1. We’ll just have to see how it shakes out but pineing for Luke back is silly.

Kidd as an assistant to work with Lonzo is worth a shot but why would Kidd be the head coach when his teams underachieved in Milwaukee? Look what they are doing now with a good coach.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Kidd as an assistant to work with Lonzo is worth a shot but why would Kidd be the head coach when his teams underachieved in Milwaukee? Look what they are doing now with a good coach.

It’s just my feeling of what the front office would do, not necessarily what is the most logical thing.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.

Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.

Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.

Dude, they’re the Warriors. Of course he won with them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Because our FO has no idea what they are doing
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Dude, they’re the Warriors. Of course he won with them.

He won better with them than anybody else did that coached them. No coach is taking a crap team anywhere, especially in the west. You can draw up all the schemes and lineups in the world. But if they clank shots and can't stay in front of their man or rotate fast enough, it simply doesn't matter.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

A doormat could coach the Warriors to a good record. Poor example.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You could say that but you could also say no one else coached them to a record setting start
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
george w kush wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You could say that but you could also say no one else coached them to a record setting start

You could also say he coached them at the right time, after their first chip when they weren’t as tired, and they went on to win 73 games. Come on, I don’t think Luke is a bad coach but to use the Warriors, possibly the greatest team of all time, as an example of Luke’s incredible coaching is just plain weird. He had been there a year up to that point, he knew the system. The players knew the system.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

Imagine the press we would be getting if he was still the Lakers coach with the sexual assault allegations. In Sacramento no one gives a poo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: