Suddenly Luke Walton doesn't look so bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 52094

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject:

The only reason Luke lost his job is that Lebron wasn't sold on him.
When you go around the league to get advice on how to coach LBJ, that's sort of a huge red flag to me. Nothing wrong with what Luke did if this were a typical job. However the fact that he needed to do that, showed his inexperience. Then when the season actually unfolded, clearly Lebron and Luke never developed that relationship and respect.

You look at all the best players in the league, the one's that are doing well, or the best, do so for a coach they love or whose system they love. I never saw that with LBJ and Luke.

Had we never signed LBJ, Luke would still be our coach. He was the right guy up until we signed LBJ. LBJ's camp was pushing for Kidd mid-way into the season. LBJ's camp got what they wanted. This is a player's league. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Rz0TSprFc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 12580

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The only reason Luke lost his job is that Lebron wasn't sold on him.
When you go around the league to get advice on how to coach LBJ, that's sort of a huge red flag to me. Nothing wrong with what Luke did if this were a typical job. However the fact that he needed to do that, showed his inexperience. Then when the season actually unfolded, clearly Lebron and Luke never developed that relationship and respect.

You look at all the best players in the league, the one's that are doing well, or the best, do so for a coach they love or whose system they love. I never saw that with LBJ and Luke.

Had we never signed LBJ, Luke would still be our coach. He was the right guy up until we signed LBJ. LBJ's camp was pushing for Kidd mid-way into the season. LBJ's camp got what they wanted. This is a player's league. I don't like it, but it is what it is.


Luke was awful - the next adjustment he makes will be the first adjustment.

The offense was run down the floor and try to get a mismatch, or die in the half court.

The defense was watch-the-ball-and-get-beaten-on-cuts-and-lobs-every-time.

Yes, he had young players.

Yes, he had constant roster turnover.

No, he did not have a coherent system on either offense or defense.
_________________
Maginka is doing a good job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gumby
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2397
Location: Anaheim

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject:

As soon as LeBron came by, it was a sink or swim situation.

Before LeBron, the expectations were slow and steady improvement.

With LeBron, it was we better be competing for the WCF or NBA Finals.

The team and Luke sinked.

Coaches get the blame and they are gone.

Bye.
_________________
"This trophy removes the most odious sentence in the English Language. It can never be said again that 'the Lakers have never beaten the Celtics.'" -Dr. Jerry Buss (1985) R.I.P., 33 x M.V.O.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1731

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
LeBronze

Haha! That's a new one. Did you mean it like... Gold medal - MJ? Silver medal - Kobe? Bronze medal - LeBron?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 52094

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The only reason Luke lost his job is that Lebron wasn't sold on him.
When you go around the league to get advice on how to coach LBJ, that's sort of a huge red flag to me. Nothing wrong with what Luke did if this were a typical job. However the fact that he needed to do that, showed his inexperience. Then when the season actually unfolded, clearly Lebron and Luke never developed that relationship and respect.

You look at all the best players in the league, the one's that are doing well, or the best, do so for a coach they love or whose system they love. I never saw that with LBJ and Luke.

Had we never signed LBJ, Luke would still be our coach. He was the right guy up until we signed LBJ. LBJ's camp was pushing for Kidd mid-way into the season. LBJ's camp got what they wanted. This is a player's league. I don't like it, but it is what it is.


Luke was awful - the next adjustment he makes will be the first adjustment.

The offense was run down the floor and try to get a mismatch, or die in the half court.

The defense was watch-the-ball-and-get-beaten-on-cuts-and-lobs-every-time.

Yes, he had young players.

Yes, he had constant roster turnover.

No, he did not have a coherent system on either offense or defense.

I think he thought he could run similar to GST, but GST had more talent and IQ. Dray Green, Steph, Iggy, these are all very high IQ players who move the ball to get the best shot. He thought he could come in to LA and have the same culture and what not, without really looking at the players he had weren't nearly as smart or adapt at moving the ball. The players in LA needed more structure and specific sets, with some discipline. As they were younger players with less BBall IQ.

I do think given time, and had the team kept Randle, Lopez, like he wanted. Had they not signed LBJ, and instead maybe signed someone like Paul George. I think Luke would have succeeded. However the moment we signed Lebron, let players that fit in Luke's coaching schemes (JR and Brook) go, it was going to go downhill. With Lebron you need a coach that has a strong personality and is willing to get into it with him. Someone that can use Lebron's incredible ability within a team concept IE make other players feel useful. Luke didn't do that. A little surprising, considering he played with Kobe, and was coached by Phil.

I don't know if Vogel/Kidd will be better than Luke in schemes. Probably not. The advanced numbers on Vogel aren't pretty on offense. However at the very least Vogel/Kidd will command Lebron's respect. Kidd because of his resume as a player (and that LBJ's group seems to have wanted him). Vogel because of his passionate direct approach. I would not be surprised if our schemes were still not very good though. In their last jobs, neither Vogel or Kidd impressed with their schemes. Both their teams got better once they left. That's not a good look for either.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Rz0TSprFc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 31243

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:
LeBronze

Haha! That's a new one. Did you mean it like... Gold medal - MJ? Silver medal - Kobe? Bronze medal - LeBron?


Are you being sarcastic?
Lol. The name came up when Team USA led by LeBron got the bronze in 2004.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 10018
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Vogel has more and better experience than Luke...!
_________________
What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Jan 2016
Posts: 819
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I think he’s a decent coach. But his rotations were unforgivable. And he surrounded himself with his drinking buddies instead of smart basketball minds like Kerr has. He was never gonna get any better that way.

Kidd is probably our next coach unless Vogel has big success year 1. We’ll just have to see how it shakes out but pineing for Luke back is silly.
_________________
We pour this booze and we drink this booze because we think it's yummy. YUMMY! So over the tounge and down the throat to party in our tummys.
DOWN THE HOLA BITC*OLA!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 11 Nov 2017
Posts: 306

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
I think he’s a decent coach. But his rotations were unforgivable. And he surrounded himself with his drinking buddies instead of smart basketball minds like Kerr has. He was never gonna get any better that way.

Kidd is probably our next coach unless Vogel has big success year 1. We’ll just have to see how it shakes out but pineing for Luke back is silly.


Kidd as an assistant to work with Lonzo is worth a shot but why would Kidd be the head coach when his teams underachieved in Milwaukee? Look what they are doing now with a good coach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Jan 2016
Posts: 819
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
I think he’s a decent coach. But his rotations were unforgivable. And he surrounded himself with his drinking buddies instead of smart basketball minds like Kerr has. He was never gonna get any better that way.

Kidd is probably our next coach unless Vogel has big success year 1. We’ll just have to see how it shakes out but pineing for Luke back is silly.


Kidd as an assistant to work with Lonzo is worth a shot but why would Kidd be the head coach when his teams underachieved in Milwaukee? Look what they are doing now with a good coach.


It’s just my feeling of what the front office would do, not necessarily what is the most logical thing.
_________________
We pour this booze and we drink this booze because we think it's yummy. YUMMY! So over the tounge and down the throat to party in our tummys.
DOWN THE HOLA BITC*OLA!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Posts: 6234
Location: virginia

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.


Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 189
Location: Stockholm

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.


Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.

Dude, they’re the Warriors. Of course he won with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 133594
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
I think he’s a decent coach. But his rotations were unforgivable. And he surrounded himself with his drinking buddies instead of smart basketball minds like Kerr has. He was never gonna get any better that way.

Kidd is probably our next coach unless Vogel has big success year 1. We’ll just have to see how it shakes out but pineing for Luke back is silly.


Kidd as an assistant to work with Lonzo is worth a shot but why would Kidd be the head coach when his teams underachieved in Milwaukee? Look what they are doing now with a good coach.


Because our FO has no idea what they are doing
_________________
How about those Blues!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Posts: 6234
Location: virginia

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.


Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.

Dude, they’re the Warriors. Of course he won with them.


He won better with them than anybody else did that coached them. No coach is taking a crap team anywhere, especially in the west. You can draw up all the schemes and lineups in the world. But if they clank shots and can't stay in front of their man or rotate fast enough, it simply doesn't matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
george w kush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.


Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.



A doormat could coach the Warriors to a good record. Poor example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LKA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 5181
Location: Sin City

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.


Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.



A doormat could coach the Warriors to a good record. Poor example.


You could say that but you could also say no one else coached them to a record setting start
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 189
Location: Stockholm

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
george w kush wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Firing Luke (or "mutually parting ways") was the right move. He simply wasn't good at his job. It's fair to criticize management's process in terms of how they actually went about getting the next coach, for sure. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over Luke's ouster, especially when considering that his group of assistants were beyond pathetic.


Or maybe Luke was just coaching a God awful team? Dude showed he can win games as a coach with the Warriors. A coach doesn't win with crap talent, especially in the west.



A doormat could coach the Warriors to a good record. Poor example.


You could say that but you could also say no one else coached them to a record setting start

You could also say he coached them at the right time, after their first chip when they weren’t as tired, and they went on to win 73 games. Come on, I don’t think Luke is a bad coach but to use the Warriors, possibly the greatest team of all time, as an example of Luke’s incredible coaching is just plain weird. He had been there a year up to that point, he knew the system. The players knew the system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 31389

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

Imagine the press we would be getting if he was still the Lakers coach with the sexual assault allegations. In Sacramento no one gives a poo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB