Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Garland was at the HBO premiere of the Muhammad Ali documentary, produced by James. Being part of Klutch..... its going to be Garland @4

If Knicks dont draft him first.

If the Knicks draft him it means the Lakers get Barrett so....

We're screwed, right BVH?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject:

Anyone this draft remind anyone of Siakim?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject:

Just linking to some interesting articles I came across.

Draft Battle: Coby White vs. Darius Garland

epak wrote:

Sekou Doumbouyaaaaa! I'd be happy if we traded down for Sekou and another good asset.

Sekou Doumbouya Could Be the 2019 Draft’s Biggest Riser

Quote:
Doumbouya’s physical gifts are almost what every general manager would want in a modern NBA forward. He is bouncy, long and fluid with a frame for adding muscle. At his worst Doumbouya will be a rotational wing who defends well, can play small-ball with starters and get streaky from deep.

But I am more focused on what he could be if he reaches his peak. Sekou has both a nice shooting and defensive base. Still, his playmaking skill set is largely untapped. There are limitless ways he should be used in the NBA. Sekou can be ran off of stagger screens to hit threes, come flying off of DHOs, cut for backdoor lobs or simply provide spacing in the corner. If he ever becomes a secondary pick and roll passer, however, Sekou could truly develop into an All-Star caliber player.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
If the Knicks draft Garland, should the Lakers draft Barrett?

I'm a Duke fan:

No.

He has the talent. Problem is, he has too much confidence. He's a player who needs to start on a bad team and is allowed to be the man.

Counterargument is RJ playing next to LeBron and learning from the best...good developmental story but questionable how it would help LeBron and the Lakers win now.

Couldn't you say the same about Garland though? He might become a good NBA guard 2+ years from now... but will he be able to defend any guard next season from one of the 16 teams who are in this year's playoffs? Any time he's on the court in 2019-20, we may as well hang a "pick me for your mismatch target" sign on him.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of drafting the BPA. Just wanted to ask this question about Garland in general, it's not directed at ya specifically.

I don't see Garland the same. RJ is a SF. LeBron is a SF. DG is an Attack Guard.

Our biggest needs last year were Attack Guard and shooting. Garland can do both and both translate well from college.

If you get RJ, you're duplicating skillsets while not addressing needs. If you know you're getting Kyrie, cool, pick RJ. If not, take Garland.

When it comes to the NBA draft, prospects are so hit and miss, where one pick you get a bust and the next is a superstar I would never draft based on need and only on best player available.

So many busts are caused by not coming into the NBA in the right situation.

Very few players are talented enough for a Franchise to change course for.

If you pick a player who makes sense but is a shade less talented, he can reach his potential quickly. If you pick a player who doesn't make sense for you and you end up moving him (Harden), he goes on to win an MVP on another squad anyway.

IMHO, it should be about the team and building with parts that make the team better than the sum of its parts.

ISO ball is all about entertainment.
Basketball is about teamwork.

Fair enough, you make a good argument but I would still draft bpa regardless of fit

I respect that. I believe that also but if the talent is close, I take the better fit 10/10 times and if we have a glaring hole, I take the player who fills it.

I'm not suggesting taking Brandon Clarke at #4 because we need better defense/rim protection. If it comes down to Hunter vs Garland and we know we are getting Kyrie, take Hunter. If we know we are getting Kawhi, take Garland.

But BPA is a good practice. Talent level should be the first priority.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject:

Can someone make a case against Rui Hachimura? IMHO, he's the safest pick at #4.

Some will knock his age. Kuzma was a junior. Rui actually has a more complete game than Kuzma. If you could draft a better version of Kuzma in this draft, could you make a case for him at 4th?
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I know the general rule for the draft is to take the best player. In our case this year it is little bit different. If we are going to take someone and not to trade pick we should take the best possible shooter out there. In this moment in time we need great shooters to surround LBJ, Ball and maybe some FA this summer.

I agree with you if we keep the pick, but think they will trade it.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Can someone make a case against Rui Hachimura? IMHO, he's the safest pick at #4.

Some will knock his age. Kuzma was a junior. Rui actually has a more complete game than Kuzma. If you could draft a better version of Kuzma in this draft, could you make a case for him at 4th?

His shot release is almost perfect. And I think he is defensively highly underrated. For me the age is actually plus because we do not need players to develop from scratch. It is better to have someone with some skills already developed. I like this player a lot and if we are going to keep the pick he is the option for sure. Also great shooter which is really really important.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

I like his game. Good skills and seems a high IQ player. Does a little bit of everything, and does it well. His size is better suited to SF, and needs to add more 3PT shooting to really do well at that position... but his form is good. A question I have for those who've watched him play more is about his athleticism and speed... good enough to be an NBA starting 5 player on contending team? Also, any idea why he skipped the draft combine?

I'm not seeing many mock drafts with him in the top 10... so if other teams aren't picking him at #4 and we want him, it's another opportunity to trade down and get the player we want + more assets. Or... perhaps, even Sekou at #8 and Rui at #10?

GameCock-MD wrote:
I'm not suggesting taking Brandon Clarke at #4 because we need better defense/rim protection.

That's the sort of move which could turn me into an FO-bashing malcontent, if Clarke ended up not killing it for us!
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

His shot release is almost perfect. And I think he is defensively highly underrated. For me the age is actually plus because we do not need players to develop from scratch. It is better to have someone with some skills already developed. I like this player a lot and if we are going to keep the pick he is the option for sure. Also great shooter which is really really important.

I'm surprised his name isn't mentioned more often. Well, I like his name. He can be nicknamed "The Samurai" or "Ninja".

Good nicknames are better than ability in any case, and if you have both, well the skies the limit.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject:

Well, I wouldn’t draft a better Kuz because I wouldn’t want to create a rift. I think Kuz fits LA and can handle the pressure of being a Laker. He’s got supreme confidence in his skill set, he’s a worker, and he has a lot of upside when confident. He needs to develop physically still and needs to contribute better on the defensive end; especially securing the rebound. I think being coached by Vogel will hammer these fundamental pro traits into his psyche, and we will have a polished gem; sooner hopefully than later. In my opinion, you don’t draft a replacement for a budding contributor like Kuz. He’s a streaky shooter and has the potential to be money in the clutch like Horry.

I still think you give at very least 2 more years for Zo, BI, and Kuz to play together. Let them rely on each other’s talents and learn each other’s game in a true system. If they can’t make it work, then at least we know we gave them the proper timeframe to figure out fit. They seem to have each other’s backs though. There’s no infighting between the three of them.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Anyone know what happen in that game against Acorn State where Garland played 28 mins and got only 3 points? I wish he didn't get hurt so we could have seen him play against some better competition instead of Winthrop and Liberty and USC

You best watch your mouth!
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Tacko Fall has been invited to the combine. 7'5" without shoes, 7'7" with shoes, 289 lbs, 8'2" wingspan, 10'2" standing reach.

I hope he gets drafted by a team so I can see him and Bobi go up against each other.

Tacko Fall Tuesdays is bound to become a thing too.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/15/g-league-elite-players-picked-draft-combine

Do it Mitch!

Just for the chants!

"We want Tacko!, we want Tacko!"

King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
epak wrote:
Anyone know what happen in that game against Acorn State where Garland played 28 mins and got only 3 points? I wish he didn't get hurt so we could have seen him play against some better competition instead of Winthrop and Liberty and USC

I'm with you...sample size for me is much to small...When the Lakers have their workouts is when they'll know if the kid is the real deal...until then he's a question mark.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Just linking to some interesting articles I came across.

Draft Battle: Coby White vs. Darius Garland

epak wrote:

Sekou Doumbouyaaaaa! I'd be happy if we traded down for Sekou and another good asset.

Sekou Doumbouya Could Be the 2019 Draft’s Biggest Riser

Quote:
Doumbouya’s physical gifts are almost what every general manager would want in a modern NBA forward. He is bouncy, long and fluid with a frame for adding muscle. At his worst Doumbouya will be a rotational wing who defends well, can play small-ball with starters and get streaky from deep.

But I am more focused on what he could be if he reaches his peak. Sekou has both a nice shooting and defensive base. Still, his playmaking skill set is largely untapped. There are limitless ways he should be used in the NBA. Sekou can be ran off of stagger screens to hit threes, come flying off of DHOs, cut for backdoor lobs or simply provide spacing in the corner. If he ever becomes a secondary pick and roll passer, however, Sekou could truly develop into an All-Star caliber player.

Great info, good looking out

White is 6'5 right?
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

I wanted Rui when I thought we were going to have the 11 pick...now we have options.

I think it's best to draft what we need. And that is a SG
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Tacko Fall has been invited to the combine. 7'5" without shoes, 7'7" with shoes, 289 lbs, 8'2" wingspan, 10'2" standing reach.

I hope he gets drafted by a team so I can see him and Bobi go up against each other.

Tacko Fall Tuesdays is bound to become a thing too.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/15/g-league-elite-players-picked-draft-combine

Do it Mitch!

Just for the chants!

"We want Tacko!, we want Tacko!"

He will be drafted. If Boban is in the league. This guy can make it
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Well, I wouldn’t draft a better Kuz because I wouldn’t want to create a rift. I think Kuz fits LA and can handle the pressure of being a Laker. He’s got supreme confidence in his skill set, he’s a worker, and he has a lot of upside when confident. He needs to develop physically still and needs to contribute better on the defensive end; especially securing the rebound. I think being coached by Vogel will hammer these fundamental pro traits into his psyche, and we will have a polished gem; sooner hopefully than later. In my opinion, you don’t draft a replacement for a budding contributor like Kuz. He’s a streaky shooter and has the potential to be money in the clutch like Horry.

I still think you give at very least 2 more years for Zo, BI, and Kuz to play together. Let them rely on each other’s talents and learn each other’s game in a true system. If they can’t make it work, then at least we know we gave them the proper timeframe to figure out fit. They seem to have each other’s backs though. There’s no infighting between the three of them.

Great post! I hope Frank can run a system that develops these kids. Hopefully, he has LJ playing more off the ball so our kids are not stymied. I would hate to see these 3 kids traded (unless an unbelievable deal presents itself). It would suck to see us absorb all the growing pains of these kids only to have them go elsewhere and shine. Give me Hunter with these 3 and we are SOLID with young talent. Grab that max vet (or a combination of solid vets) and we are set.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

Kuzma's age (4 year Junior) is exactly the reason why the growth/improvement at his age slowed down. His game didn't see a leap (some would say he regressed) from year 1 to year 2 (22-23 years old).

Rui is a physically mature 21 year old who was playing against many physically immature players who were younger. I just don't see where the improvement is going to come from (relative to the pack). It won't come from physical maturity... and in today's NBA, at 21-22..... you're damn near what you're ever going to be (maybe more refined).

Hard Pass at 4.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:

"We want Tackos!, we want Tackos!"

Fixed.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

man, Garland is so sick.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

I wanted Rui when I thought we were going to have the 11 pick...now we have options.

I think it's best to draft what we need. And that is a SG

no. best draft who is available and not based on need at all
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
man, Garland is so sick.

Based on the 3 college games?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
epak wrote:

I'm with you...sample size for me is much to small...When the Lakers have their workouts is when they'll know if the kid is the real deal...until then he's a question mark.

Yep. Wish the sample size was larger. When pathetic sc is your best competition, that's worrisome. We gotta bring in old man Cooper for the workout lol. Shame they don't allow one on ones any more.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Garland was at the HBO premiere of the Muhammad Ali documentary, produced by James. Being part of Klutch..... its going to be Garland @4

Why do people think Garland being a Klutch guy is good for his chances? All we've heard are reports about Jeannie not wanting it to look like Lebron runs things (see coaching search).
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
King Randle wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
epak wrote:

Yep. Wish the sample size was larger. When pathetic sc is your best competition, that's worrisome. We gotta bring in old man Cooper for the workout lol. Shame they don't allow one on ones any more.

I'm with you 100% Epak.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 224 of 441
Jump to: