THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1536, 1537, 1538 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:
Why is Biden leading? I know we all would back up whoever comes out of the field but why Biden, how is it not the new faces

For many, the stakes are simply too high to be taking chances on unknowns and new faces are unknowns.

Hillary was a familiar face and lost.
Maybe Dems are thinking she lost because of her gender and the familiarity wasn't a problem. Male candidates are dominating early polling. The highest being the most familiar (Biden).

I would love to see a new face but I side with Aussie. Lets hop in the old reliable. If Biden gets the nomination I hope he'll chose a new young face for his running mate. Like the NBA, a mixture of vets and youth win championships.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

trump is having his Yellow Cake moment...this time no one buys it
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Quinnipiac poll in Pennsylvania:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%
Sanders 50%, Trump 43%
Warren 47%, Trump 44%
Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%
Harris 45%, Trump 45%
Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%

Biden is certainly not not first choice, but that 11 point spread makes him far more palatable.

Too early to mean much of these numbers, even for O'Rourke. Getting into this day to day poll numbers at this stage is a distraction, though media loves it.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:
Why is Biden leading? I know we all would back up whoever comes out of the field but why Biden, how is it not the new faces

For many, the stakes are simply too high to be taking chances on unknowns and new faces are unknowns.

Hillary was a familiar face and lost.
Maybe Dems are thinking she lost because of her gender and the familiarity wasn't a problem. Male candidates are dominating early polling. The highest being the most familiar (Biden).

In the analogy, Hillary was a 1999 Toyota Camry that had been left out behind a barn with the doors and trunk open for years. During that time, the goats had used it's seats as their personal urinal, and the carcass of a heffer that died of Hoof & Mouth disease had been rotting in the trunk. The car was in disgusting condition, but still ran. But when folks approached the vehicle, they understandably started looking around for other options. That's when they saw an old vintage 1953 John Deere Tractor (Sanders) across the field and gave serious thought for riding that thing on the 3000 mile journey. That's how much they were literally not looking forward to the ride in Hillary. But alas, it was winter, and they decided they couldn't do the trip without heat, so they strapped on masks and cleaned up the old camry as best the could and set of on the nasty smelly trek. The Camry made it within 10 miles of the Mississippi before they were forced to pull over because everyone was too dehydrated from all the puking during the course of the trip, and then their luck ran out as the fire engulfed them mere miles from the Mississippi.

The hope is that a clean non infested Camry won't require all the puke stops slowing them down and they'll successfully get on the other side of the river before the fire arrives.

Not all old Camry's are the same. Some you really don't want to ride in:

Biden

Hillary
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Wed May 15, 2019 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
trump is having his Yellow Cake moment...this time no one buys it

Could you imagine...

Trusting Saudi Arabia and UAE to provide us with unbiased intelligence

It is like everyone forgot about Kashoggi already

Forgot about how horrible Kushner has been

At least the good people on LG are sane and know the threats we face
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:

Imagine a huge wildfire sprung up on the West coast and was moving eastward swallowing up everything in it's path, and the only thing that will stop it is a large body of water like the Mississippi River. So you've got to make the drive to try to get to the other side of the Mississippi River so as not to be engulfed by the raging inferno. You take a look at a map of the US and see all that wide open space in the middle.

Do you hop in the brand spanking new 2019 Tesla Model S and just hope there will be enough places to charge along the way? Or do you jump in the 1999 Toyota Camry that while not nearly as new and comfortable, you can confidently expect to make it to the other side of the Mississippi river and stay ahead of that wild fire?

Trump is a raging fire that many aren't willing to take the risk that a Tesla can make the cross country roadtrip in time, so they are opting for that old reliable gas propelled Camry because a comfy new Tesla does em no good if it can't make it across the finish line ahead of the fire...

Al Gore and John Kerry said hello.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Aussie. Your posts have me dying.
You don't skimp on imagery. And I respect that.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I would love to see a new face but I side with Aussie. Lets hop in the old reliable. If Biden gets the nomination I hope he'll chose a new young face for his running mate. Like the NBA, a mixture of vets and youth win championships.

His smartest choice would be Elizabeth Warren. Her Progressive chops are genuine enough that she'd satiate the desires of younger progressives, she's female, and she's not shy about taking off her gloves and smacking Republicans in the face. She has high likability, and no truly offputting negatives which would result in her being a poor running mate.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Quinnipiac poll in Pennsylvania:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%
Sanders 50%, Trump 43%
Warren 47%, Trump 44%
Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%
Harris 45%, Trump 45%
Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%

I live in PA. Biden easily wins here in 2020, if he's the nominee.

Bernie could too. I think Bernie would have won PA in 2016. For whatever reason, the people here didn't like HRC.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

As Josh Gad posted on Twitter, and Heartburn re-posted in the GOT thread regarding all the people who want to redo season 8 of GOT:

Quote:
To the 35,000 people taking time out of their days to write HBO to tell them to reshoot Game of Thrones u don’t like the arc of the lady riding a dragon, how about you use some of that energy to write officials to tell them to stop forcing women to have a rapists’ baby

Boycott Alabama!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
As Josh Gad posted on Twitter, and Heartburn re-posted in the GOT thread regarding all the people who want to redo season 8 of GOT:

Quote:
To the 35,000 people taking time out of their days to write HBO to tell them to reshoot Game of Thrones u don’t like the arc of the lady riding a dragon, how about you use some of that energy to write officials to tell them to stop forcing women to have a rapists’ baby

Boycott Alabama!

Talabma
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

His smartest choice would be Elizabeth Warren. Her Progressive chops are genuine enough that she'd satiate the desires of younger progressives, she's female, and she's not shy about taking off her gloves and smacking Republicans in the face. She has high likability, and no truly offputting negatives which would result in her being a poor running mate.

The polls have Warren and Harris just about even. I like what both have to say but as I said I want to see some new young faces. I also would like to see a woman as a running mate.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That was the ticket I wanted in 2016
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
governator wrote:

Imagine a huge wildfire sprung up on the West coast and was moving eastward swallowing up everything in it's path, and the only thing that will stop it is a large body of water like the Mississippi River. So you've got to make the drive to try to get to the other side of the Mississippi River so as not to be engulfed by the raging inferno. You take a look at a map of the US and see all that wide open space in the middle.

Do you hop in the brand spanking new 2019 Tesla Model S and just hope there will be enough places to charge along the way? Or do you jump in the 1999 Toyota Camry that while not nearly as new and comfortable, you can confidently expect to make it to the other side of the Mississippi river and stay ahead of that wild fire?

Trump is a raging fire that many aren't willing to take the risk that a Tesla can make the cross country roadtrip in time, so they are opting for that old reliable gas propelled Camry because a comfy new Tesla does em no good if it can't make it across the finish line ahead of the fire...

Al Gore and John Kerry said hello.

This is just my opinion, CL, but I think Biden is a better candidate than those two, even at his age. (And I mean this in the sense of "better candidate according to public perception", even though I do think Biden is a better candidate than those two were.) Biden has far more charisma than either, can connect with people better, and still has the resume of someone who is clearly qualified. As long as he looks like he has the energy and as long as he doesn't have some cognitive gaffes at the debates or on TV during the campaign, I much prefer him as a candidate to Gore and Kerry. Again, just me.

As for the issue of Hillary, she was my preferred candidate and I was behind her all the way. But the decades-long smear campaign on her had the desired effect. The fact is that she's a lightning rod and those that dislike her really dislike her. She's a polarizing figure. Biden is not a polarizing figure among the voters that are going to decide this election. 'Ol Joe even has some of those speaking gaffes that, while they clearly aren't Trumpian, could almost be seen as endearing to a certain part of the country. (Like when he said "this is a big f'ing deal" on the mic without realizing it.) And while I realize that Biden has some uncomfortable things in his past like speech plagiarizing allegations and the touchy-feely thing, he's just not disliked like Hillary was.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

Forgive me, I'm just not in the mood for more old white guy patriarchy.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

My dream ticket is Harris/Warren or Warren/Harris. I know a lot of progressive women who feel the same.

But one more time we will be asked to submit to white male patriarchy. Only an old white male can beat the other old white male. So we are told. Don't worry. Your time will come. We'll vote for a woman eventually. Just not this time.

And women buy into it too. It makes me ill.

(And don't @me because I am already committed to voting which ever Democrat wins the nomination.)
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

Jordan Peterson will say that western culture is not a male dominated patriarchy:

I agree with some things Peterson says, and I disagree with some things he says. He has definitely touched on something though that is resonating with a lot of people judging by attendance at his speaking events.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

And for all the people who think the entire Democratic base will just enthusiastically show up for Biden -- here's an alternate perspective:

Quote:
Joy Reid Verified account @JoyAnnReid

It's amazing in a party as dependent on diverse turnout as the Democratic Party is, how many candidates are jumping into the 2020 race premised on converting Trump voters as the priority, while presuming the base will just line up Obama election-style despite being back-benched.

Quote:
@ZerlinaMaxwell

Every time a white democrat says "we have to reach out to Trump voters" I wonder if they know that BLACK PEOPLE CAN HEAR THEM

Ok I'll stop now.

Is the election about exciting the base to turn out in overwhelming numbers? Or is the election about trying to placate white non-college voters in a handful of states hoping that works? We'll see.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Jordan Peterson will say that western culture is not a male dominated patriarchy:

I agree with some things Peterson says, and I disagree with some things he says. He has definitely touched on something though that is resonating with a lot of people judging by attendance at his speaking events.

Misogyny manifests itself in many ways, even among the "educated."

Quote:
Peterson has argued that there is an ongoing "crisis of masculinity" and "backlash against masculinity" where the "masculine spirit is under assault".[20][121][122][123] He has argued that feminism and policies such as no-fault divorce have had adverse effects on gender relations and destabilized society.[121] He has argued that the existing societal hierarchy that the "left" has characterised as an "oppressive patriarchy" might "be predicated on competence."[20] Peterson has said that men without partners are likely to become violent, and has noted that "enforced monogamy", i.e. societies wherein monogamy is a social norm, decrease male violence.[20][121] He has attributed the rise of Donald Trump and far-right European politicians to what he says is a push to "feminize" men, saying "If men are pushed too hard to feminize they will become more and more interested in harsh, fascist political ideology."[124] He attracted considerable attention over a 2018 Channel 4 interview where he clashed with interviewer Cathy Newman on the topic of the gender pay gap.[125][126] Peterson disputed that the gender pay gap was solely due to sexual discrimination.[126][127][128] Writing for The New York Times, Nellie Bowles said that most of Peterson's ideas "stem from a gnawing anxiety around gender".[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

Also from his wiki bio:

Quote:
Climate change - Peterson doubts the scientific consensus on climate change.[129] Peterson has said he is "very skeptical of the models that are used to predict climate change".[130] He has also said, "You can't trust the data because too much ideology is involved".[131]
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

DeBlasio, gonna be like 30 people on 1st debate
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
And for all the people who think the entire Democratic base will just enthusiastically show up for Biden -- here's an alternate perspective:

Quote:

It's amazing in a party as dependent on diverse turnout as the Democratic Party is, how many candidates are jumping into the 2020 race premised on converting Trump voters as the priority, while presuming the base will just line up Obama election-style despite being back-benched.

Quote:
@ZerlinaMaxwell

Every time a white democrat says "we have to reach out to Trump voters" I wonder if they know that BLACK PEOPLE CAN HEAR THEM

Ok I'll stop now.

Is the election about exciting the base to turn out in overwhelming numbers? Or is the election about trying to placate white non-college voters in a handful of states hoping that works? We'll see.

Democrats don't need the ~42% who have a favorable view of Trump. To have a favorable view of Trump tells me, you either subscribe to your tribe without question; you don't pay attention; you are simply ignorant; you are some version of racist, homophobic, xenophobic, or demophobic; you are part of the elite who wants to maintain power; you are a selective evangelical; you are not for the rule of law that affects the affluent; or a combination of these.

The Dems should go after those who woke up (~4%) and saw the error of their ways however.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

the stupidity in the republican party knows no bounds
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
@ZerlinaMaxwell

Ok I'll stop now.

Democrats don't need the ~42% who have a favorable view of Trump. To have a favorable view of Trump tells me, you either subscribe to your tribe without question; you don't pay attention; you are simply ignorant; you are some version of racist, homophobic, xenophobic, or demophobic; you are part of the elite who wants to maintain power; you are a selective evangelical; you are not for the rule of law that affects the affluent; or a combination of these.

The Dems should go after those who woke up (~4%) and saw the error of their ways however.

You can speak to those people through your policy proposals and by meeting with them and expressing empathy for their personal stories (the way Elizabeth Warren and some others do).

But when you announce at every campaign stop, "Unlike the last campaign who ignored white working class America, I will be different and work for your vote!" what many black women and Clinton female voters hear is: "I'm a white male and I won't forget you the way Clinton did!"

Maybe Biden is the magic key to beating Trump. I don't know. I only know that it's not a guarantee. There's a general consensus in the media and the electorate that only Biden can beat Trump -- and that he will. That scares me because it reminds me of Clinton beating Trump in every poll. And then, oops.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

Trump’s Trade War Is Making Mexico Great
If high tariffs persuade manufacturers to leave China, they won’t move to the United States. There’s a much cheaper option next door.

By ZACHARY KARABELL May 16, 2019

Quote:
The easy, and wrongheaded, pro-tariff argument made by Trump and his fellow China hawks is that when he slaps a tax on goods from China, it makes the good less attractive for companies to manufacture there and less appealing for consumers to buy here. That creates an incentive to make more goods in the United States. So, America wins, right?

But the reality is that America and China are both going to lose, and they aren’t haggling in a vacuum. There are dozens of players ready to swoop in to take advantage when two titans start wounding each other.

a business genius #MMGA
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
@ZerlinaMaxwell

Ok I'll stop now.

You can speak to those people through your policy proposals and by meeting with them and expressing empathy for their personal stories (the way Elizabeth Warren and some others do).

But when you announce at every campaign stop, "Unlike the last campaign who ignored white working class America, I will be different and work for your vote!" what many black women and Clinton female voters hear is: "I'm a white male and I won't forget you the way Clinton did!"

Maybe Biden is the magic key to beating Trump. I don't know. I only know that it's not a guarantee. There's a general consensus in the media and the electorate that only Biden can beat Trump -- and that he will. That scares me because it reminds me of Clinton beating Trump in every poll. And then, oops.

Is Biden saying this or are you paraphrasing? I googled your quote and got nothing.

Also, you, of all people, should not forget: Hillary received nearly 3 million more votes than did Trump.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1536, 1537, 1538 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1537 of 3663
Jump to: