Time to sell, Jeanie.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject:

She needs to just cut the checks and hire qualified and experienced personnel, not just hire her friends.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Jeannie is not the problem. Everybody that's ever met her said she's one of the sweetest people in the world. Stop listening to lebrons paid media flunkies who are trying to paint Jeannie as the reason no FA will sign here. Jeannie is not even close to James Dolan who disrespects fans and is an azz. If nobody signs here it's because they don't want to play with lebron. As long as Jeannie signs the checks the players don't care who the owner is.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Jeannie is not the problem. Everybody that's ever met her said she's one of the sweetest people in the world. Stop listening to lebrons paid media flunkies who are trying to paint Jeannie as the reason no FA will sign here. Jeannie is not even close to James Dolan who disrespects fans and is an azz. If nobody signs here it's because they don't want to play with lebron. As long as Jeannie signs the checks the players don't care who the owner is.

I think your take is off. The problem isn't that free agents meet Jeanie and think she's a jerk. The problem is that Jeanie has hired the wrong people and caused the team to be in disarray.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

lol so just because Jeannie is sweet doesnt mean shes not the problem. In fact leadership/management 101 would tell you thats a detriment. Her sweetness is why people like Rambis,Linda,PJ,Magic can get over on her. I'll gladly take a shred owner not afraid to fire his/her BFFs and hire real professionals to the job.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

Jeanie can be the nicest person in the world. It doesn't mean she's competent
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

lol so just because Jeannie is sweet doesnt mean shes not the problem. In fact leadership/management 101 would tell you thats a detriment. Her sweetness is why people like Rambis,Linda,PJ,Magic can get over on her. I'll gladly take a shred owner not afraid to fire his/her BFFs and hire real professionals to the job.

That's exactly right. She can be sweet in her personal life but an organization like the Lakers deserves a strong leader. Jeannie has been living off the goodwill that was built up by decades of strong leadership by Dr. Buss. But that goodwill is crumbling.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

Well she did fire Jim and a guy who has been here for nearly two decades. I don't think her problem is being a pushover, I think it's that she has trouble trusting anyone outside of her inner circle, especially after Magic abruptly quitting. I would hope the rumors about us targeting Myers earlier were true, because even if we are letting Pelinka run things, it wouldn't hurt to get some more experienced voices in the FO.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

I think your take is off. The problem isn't that free agents meet Jeanie and think she's a jerk. The problem is that Jeanie has hired the wrong people and caused the team to be in disarray.

If a FA doesn't sign here it won't be because of her. The fact that lebrons media fanboys are out there trashing her name and the franchise isn't helping, but she's not someone that players loath the way they did with Donald Sterling or do with James Dolan. If KD and Kyrie are considering the Knicks, and Zion looked bummed out because they didn't win the draft that let's you know it's not about the owner.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/fourtyplusfour/status/1127974579362623488?s=21

Quote:
. @BillPlaschke on @dpshow this morning talking about how the other minority owners of the Lakers (@AEGworldwide) are even more upset than the fans are regarding how the team is being run. If @JeanieBuss drops the ball this summer there could be an interesting coup with ownership

As long as the team is making money, I doubt they care. And the team is making A LOT of money.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

If a FA doesn't sign here it won't be because of her. The fact that lebrons media fanboys are out there trashing her name and the franchise isn't helping, but she's not someone that players loath the way they did with Donald Sterling or do with James Dolan. If KD and Kyrie are considering the Knicks, and Zion looked bummed out because they didn't win the draft that let's you know it's not about the owner.

How did her Lamarcus to LA campaign go? How did she fair trying to get FA before lebron came?
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
kwase wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

How did her Lamarcus to LA campaign go? How did she fair trying to get FA before lebron came?

And lest we forget her 'stay D12' billboards. Lol, that was embarrassing.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

yes that is exactly right.

Anytime I hear that "she's incredibly super sweet" stuff it makes me cautious; especially if it's somebody who continually kind of leads with that, exudes "sweetness" publicly and is all bubbly like Britney Spears and is constantly surrounded not just by people who say she's so sweet and would be infuriated if you questioned her or said otherwise, but also like you said has these stronger murkier types of characters in her orbit, the Phil Jacksons and Magic Johnsons of the world who are on the one hand campaigning to her while simultaneously talking to their favorite sportswriters and putting rumors and narratives out there.

And we've also seen how that can play out, with Jeannie pulling a vicious coup with a legal attack, lawyers and everything to break the trust set up by Jerry Buss that stipulated that he would run basketball and she'd "run the team." So we saw how that ultra feminine sweetness could turn around and viciously remove Jim and Mitch. And again let's not forget that Jim Buss had TWO rings as president of basketball, and also that he was a very invisible low key executive who let Mitch run the team. It was only after Jerry died and then Phil wasn't given control of the team and angrily left that suddenly all these media stories making a thing out of Jim Buss and spotlighting him with criticism, a narrrative that evolved into Jim and Jeannie just can't get along etc etc. Honestly it seems like Jeannie's (bleep) toward Jim came after Phil started kicking up a ruckus, but still you can see how changeable and suggestible that Jeannie is that she leaves the door open for Phil and Magic to tear down a championship dynasty, and cant even be grateful enough to follow Jerry's wishes and be a bit nice or at least professional with her little brother. Jim helped pick Bynum and cultivated him, won two titles, pulled off the cp3 trade, eventually traded Bynum for Dwight Howard, hired Mike D'Antoni etc etc. During all that... remember the incredible criticism anout Dantoni for instance? And all this irrational dislike of Jim in the media, befor any of the mistakes that were eventually made in the wake of Jeannie inserting herself and extending Kobe etc
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

Anytime I hear that "she's incredibly super sweet" stuff it makes me cautious; especially if it's somebody who continually kind of leads with that, exudes "sweetness" publicly and is all bubbly like Britney Spears and is constantly surrounded not just by people who say she's so sweet and would be infuriated if you questioned her or said otherwise, but also like you said has these stronger murkier types of characters in her orbit, the Phil Jacksons and Magic Johnsons of the world who are on the one hand campaigning to her while simultaneously talking to their favorite sportswriters and putting rumors and narratives out there.

And we've also seen how that can play out, with Jeannie pulling a vicious coup with a legal attack, lawyers and everything to break the trust set up by Jerry Buss that stipulated that he would run basketball and she'd "run the team." So we saw how that ultra feminine sweetness could turn around and viciously remove Jim and Mitch. And again let's not forget that Jim Buss had TWO rings as president of basketball, and also that he was a very invisible low key executive who let Mitch run the team. It was only after Jerry died and then Phil wasn't given control of the team and angrily left that suddenly all these media stories making a thing out of Jim Buss and spotlighting him with criticism, a narrrative that evolved into Jim and Jeannie just can't get along etc etc. Honestly it seems like Jeannie's (bleep) toward Jim came after Phil started kicking up a ruckus, but still you can see how changeable and suggestible that Jeannie is that she leaves the door open for Phil and Magic to tear down a championship dynasty, and cant even be grateful enough to follow Jerry's wishes and be a bit nice or at least professional with her little brother. Jim helped pick Bynum and cultivated him, won two titles, pulled off the cp3 trade, eventually traded Bynum for Dwight Howard, hired Mike D'Antoni etc etc. During all that... remember the incredible criticism anout Dantoni for instance? And all this irrational dislike of Jim in the media, befor any of the mistakes that were eventually made in the wake of Jeannie inserting herself and extending Kobe etc

I don't even understand this "she's sweet" stuff. She's always seemed like a poor-man's machiavellian to me, going back and forth between "I am the one who's in charge" to "Nobody told me what was going on" depending on whether she wants to take credit or deny responsibility.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

Since you basically just repeated your post, you can just re-read my previous response
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

I don't even understand this "she's sweet" stuff. She's always seemed like a poor-man's machiavellian to me, going back and forth between "I am the one who's in charge" to "Nobody told me what was going on" depending on whether she wants to take credit or deny responsibility.

yeah in retrospect it is very machiavellian, in the way she tries to act like "I don't have anything to do with basketball operations" but then behind the scenes she is orchestrating brutal high leverage undermining moves like extending Kobe, drsperately trying to make Phil president, putting short term pressure on jim and mitch to "sign somebody" and then finally breaking Jim's legal trust and ripping down the entire org chart.

still there is something, both in the way so many local sportscasters glow about her unrivalled sweetness or incredible management skills, just her ****ing unquestioned awesomeness at every turn, combined with her clueless britney spears act in any actual live interview, that triangulate toward someone who really is unbearably sweet on the surface but underneath is like murky and easily influencible etc. The ongoing pairing with Phil Jackson was always just gross, I'm sure Jerry found it distasteful
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

yeah in retrospect it is very machiavellian, in the way she tries to act like "I don't have anything to do with basketball operations" but then behind the scenes she is orchestrating brutal high leverage undermining moves like extending Kobe, drsperately trying to make Phil president, putting short term pressure on jim and mitch to "sign somebody" and then finally breaking Jim's legal trust and ripping down the entire org chart.

still there is something, both in the way so many local sportscasters glow about her unrivalled sweetness or incredible management skills, just her ****ing unquestioned awesomeness at every turn, combined with her clueless britney spears act in any actual live interview, that triangulate toward someone who really is unbearably sweet on the surface but underneath is like murky and easily influencible etc. The ongoing pairing with Phil Jackson was always just gross, I'm sure Jerry found it distasteful

Im sure Jerry really thought it was disgusting for a rich older succesful man to with a much younger woman he was probably mortified .... oh wait lol
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

Since you basically just repeated your post, you can just re-read my previous response

Not necessary. I'll just wait until FA ends and come back and tell everyone I told you so when nobody signs here because nobody wants to play with lebron and we end up overpaying for Kemba Walker. But believe whatever you want, it's a free country.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

Not necessary. I'll just wait until FA ends and come back and tell everyone I told you so when nobody signs here because nobody wants to play with lebron and we end up overpaying for Kemba Walker. But believe whatever you want, it's a free country.

So who was the last top tier FA who signed before lebron?
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

Im sure Jerry really thought it was disgusting for a rich older succesful man to with a much younger woman he was probably mortified .... oh wait lol

nah, it wasn't the age difference. Just the weird svengali brainwash kind of vibe probably, the sense of manipulation and Phil jockeying to be the eventual owner/president of the Lakers. After Jerry died you could notice almost immediately the press leaks slamming Jim Buss became a constant thing, and Jeannie became more and more spooky as Phil grew more impatient waiting to be put in charge. Then he got the Knicks job and broke up with Jeannie LoL.

I feel kind if bad gossiping and snarking like this but the Lakers are ****ed right now this has to be analyzed. The reemergence now of phil and rambis as "voices" in the organization is just really gross. Jeannie just seems to have such bone headed timing, wow and phil and rambis were a joke with the knicks.

Lebron is the way and the light
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

I know you're referencing Dr Buss here but I do remember the other Jerry (West) being disgusted by it. I'm sure much of it was his hate of Phil but I'm sure he also had the foresight to know the potential drama this would bring.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

mastersworddude wrote:
She needs to just cut the checks and hire qualified and experienced personnel, not just hire her friends.

From ESPN 5-19-2019:
"When Griffin was formally introduced by the Pelicans, he said he'd received a commitment from owner Gayle Benson to build up the management structure of the club. He has begun doing so by bringing in Langdon, and before that, hiring former Suns executive Aaron Nelson away from Phoenix to oversee injury prevention, rehabilitation, performance and recovery programs."

Maybe THIS is how it should be done? I think so. But THIS will never happen with Jeanie.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
kwase wrote:

A agree with you, Sssmuch. Especially the part about Jeanie's actions against Jim and Mitch as soon as Dr buss died. Also, have things been better post-Jim and Mitch under Jeanie's watch? No.

Now Jeanie has multiple inner circle people working with her. But why didn't she try to work together with Jim and Mitch to make things better? Interesting. I suspect Jeanie had a plan to go against her deceased father's wishes; maybe she was influenced by her inner circle back then too.

Good luck, Jeanie. They say, what goes around comes around. Just ask Magic.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

From ESPN 5-19-2019:
"When Griffin was formally introduced by the Pelicans, he said he'd received a commitment from owner Gayle Benson to build up the management structure of the club. He has begun doing so by bringing in Langdon, and before that, hiring former Suns executive Aaron Nelson away from Phoenix to oversee injury prevention, rehabilitation, performance and recovery programs."

Maybe THIS is how it should be done? I think so. But THIS will never happen with Jeanie.

I think Gayle made the wrong choice. She could have hired 3 of her close friends and hope they learn on the job and if not who cares? They're still great pals.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

From ESPN 5-19-2019:

It is the difference between effective management and clueless management. Though Gayle probably wasn’t in charge, she still has the way that the Saints are run to fall back on. They have been a well run organization for years and she is applying that formula to the Pelicans. Instead of relying on inexperienced friends she put someone with proven management skills in charge of oversight of the FO.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:
mastersworddude wrote:

From ESPN 5-19-2019:

It is the difference between effective management and clueless management. Though Gayle probably wasn’t in charge, she still has the way that the Saints are run to fall back on. They have been a well run organization for years and she is applying that formula to the Pelicans. Instead of relying on inexperienced friends she put someone with proven management skills in charge of oversight of the FO.

Benson and Buss are an interesting contrast. They both inherited their teams and know nothing about it, but Benson knows what she doesn't know and is taking steps to building a great organization by empowering smart people with experience. I wish Jeanie had an ounce of that wisdom.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: