KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 640, 641, 642 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
We need Kawhi and Anthony Davis!

I’m gonna say they are super longshots at this moment.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Leonard and PG13 would of been a sick combo.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:

Yep. It can still happen!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

Why Kawhi should choose the Lakers over the Clippers or anyone else for that matter.

Toronto has been good for Kawhi because it has shown him a couple of important things. One, that other good NBA players can see his dominance fairly quickly. His teammates have had some success prior to Kawhi showing up. He had to convince them that he was the alpha male in this group and he did. He has set himself up to be an alpha male player where ever he ends out playing. But the other important thing he has shown himself is that it is almost impossible to win a ring in this league when you are the lone alpha male on your team. Kawhi has almost always been a super efficient player, shooting at a very high percentage. But in the playoffs, with teams loading up on him with double and triple teams, his percentage is falling off. He does NOT have a consistent threat player next to him. Yeah, he has a couple of guys who COULD go off like Lowry just did, albeit in a losing effort. But none of the other guys can really be depended on to take the double teams away from Kawhi.

So, if he goes to the Clippers, it will be more of the same thing. Good players, good team, but he would have to carry them and when the double teams come, he has nobody else to make them pay for it.

Not so on the Lakers. He has Lebron who is already commanding the double teams and with them together, it is going to be really, really difficult to stop both these guys. On top of that when you do, we have Kuzma and Brandon who can also take advantage of the doubles. Add one of the best passing, defensive minded PG's in the league who's sole pleasure is going to be getting the ball to Kawhi and Lebron in their sweet spots. I see it as a super great situation for him.

Truth is, we have some really good pieces, and had bad coaching who was unable to develop it fast enough or utilize what he had well enough. I think we will be a better landing spot for him, plus we will be stacked so if changes need to be made, we will have flexibility for trades.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Why Kawhi should choose the Lakers over the Clippers or anyone else for that matter.

Toronto has been good for Kawhi because it has shown him a couple of important things. One, that other good NBA players can see his dominance fairly quickly. His teammates have had some success prior to Kawhi showing up. He had to convince them that he was the alpha male in this group and he did. He has set himself up to be an alpha male player where ever he ends out playing. But the other important thing he has shown himself is that it is almost impossible to win a ring in this league when you are the lone alpha male on your team. Kawhi has almost always been a super efficient player, shooting at a very high percentage. But in the playoffs, with teams loading up on him with double and triple teams, his percentage is falling off. He does NOT have a consistent threat player next to him. Yeah, he has a couple of guys who COULD go off like Lowry just did, albeit in a losing effort. But none of the other guys can really be depended on to take the double teams away from Kawhi.

So, if he goes to the Clippers, it will be more of the same thing. Good players, good team, but he would have to carry them and when the double teams come, he has nobody else to make them pay for it.

Not so on the Lakers. He has Lebron who is already commanding the double teams and with them together, it is going to be really, really difficult to stop both these guys. On top of that when you do, we have Kuzma and Brandon who can also take advantage of the doubles. Add one of the best passing, defensive minded PG's in the league who's sole pleasure is going to be getting the ball to Kawhi and Lebron in their sweet spots. I see it as a super great situation for him.

Truth is, we have some really good pieces, and had bad coaching who was unable to develop it fast enough or utilize what he had well enough. I think we will be a better landing spot for him, plus we will be stacked so if changes need to be made, we will have flexibility for trades.

Can't disagree with any of this. We give him the best chance to win right now and in the future, hoping he sees it the same way.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

Nailed it. I am hoping for a Bucks 4-1 or even sweep.

People can argue about the Clippers having a better top down organization but talent wise the Lakers have the advantage.

Hope Uncle Dennis can help steer him our way!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Having an LBJ caliber running mate will be a huge selling point to KL.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

On the business side, don't forget that Kawhi is the new face of New Balance...I'm sure some smart guy at NB has offered something like "hey Kawhi, how about a 25% contract kicker if you sign with a big market (Lakers,Knicks, Bulls) team?"

If you look at the top 15 jersey sales, Kawhi is not even there. Jason effin Tatum is on that list. He might even crack top 5 if he signs with the Lakers...
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:

On the business side, don't forget that Kawhi is the new face of New Balance...I'm sure some smart guy at NB has offered something like "hey Kawhi, how about a 25% contract kicker if you sign with a big market (Lakers,Knicks, Bulls) team?"

If you look at the top 15 jersey sales, Kawhi is not even there. Jason effin Tatum is on that list. He might even crack top 5 if he signs with the Lakers...

Exactly. So a contact I have that knows Uncle Dennis shared with me similar thoughts.

Regardless of the current turmoil the Laker brand is massive and still the marquee name of the NBA like the Yankees and Cowboys. Kawhi will have ample opportunities. Also loves the exposure and doors that LBJ can open. To Uncle Dennis it’s a win win situation for Kawhi. He comes to the Lakers and the team becomes a title contender the narrative will be how Kawhi helped LeBron right the ship and will be the next Laker great.

Kawhi jersey hanging with the other legends. Sorry Clippers can’t compete.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:

Exactly. So a contact I have that knows Uncle Dennis shared with me similar thoughts.

Regardless of the current turmoil the Laker brand is massive and still the marquee name of the NBA like the Yankees and Cowboys. Kawhi will have ample opportunities. Also loves the exposure and doors that LBJ can open. To Uncle Dennis it’s a win win situation for Kawhi. He comes to the Lakers and the team becomes a title contender the narrative will be how Kawhi helped LeBron right the ship and will be the next Laker great.

I hope you're right.....

I see more appeal in the strength of Clipper's FO office than hoping Linda and Jeanie can keep the ship going in the right direction.

Then again, if we get Kawhi, that ship is on autopilot for the next 3 years....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

I’ll buy a KL New Balance if he joins the Lakers.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I bought a pair. They sold out in ten minutes.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:

Thanks Song. Can you share how recently you heard this from your contact? I ask bc both GT and a verified reddit insider (Ambition something or other) have said similar things from different sources, but GT said he personally hadn’t heard anything re: Kawhi since December.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

Let's see how much influence does Uncle Dennis have on Kawhi.
For now, I'm rooting for the Bucks to sweep this series.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I bought a pair. They sold out in ten minutes.

Really?
Did they make less than 100 pairs?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Let's see how much influence does Uncle Dennis have on Kawhi.
For now, I'm rooting for the Bucks to sweep this series.

Im sure he and others in their fam are counting the days he can move to LA. Then he will always be a short drive away
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Ok. Only if he comes; I'll buy as well.....
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

If Kawhi comes to the Lakers, definitely getting the jersey and kicks.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

No it can’t
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I'll get a Kawhi jersey if he comes to LA, too.

Man, I can't even imagine. When LeBron retires he would still be 31.
And we'd have another max-FA slot from clearing LeBron's contract, so we could sign a young superstar to pair with older Kawhi.

Kawhi coming here would set us for the next 10 years.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:

Thanks Song. Can you share how recently you heard this from your contact? I ask bc both GT and a verified reddit insider (Ambition something or other) have said similar things from different sources, but GT said he personally hadn’t heard anything re: Kawhi since December.

Rubin I met my business contact at the end of March. That’s when I heard the story but I didn’t ask him when he talked to Uncle Dennis.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:

If you believe Mr. Rambis over at lakerball.com, there are concerted efforts in place by AEG and New Balance to convince Uncle Dennis that the Lakers are the place he needs to be.

Quote:
Jeanie has asked AEG to use this to pitch Kawhi this summer, and they are working on it. They've been talking to Kawhi's uncle and New Balance about a deal structure in the 8 figure range should he end up a Laker. Kawhi though is not forthcoming in his intentions and this does not mean anything as far as him actually signing here. AEG would also rather have Durant as he's worth more, but the Lakers guys prefer Kawhi. LeBron has been talking to both also.

http://lakersball.com/threads/kawhi-laonard-discussion-%E2%80%9Ci%E2%80%99m-a-fun-guy-%E2%80%9D-164.3078/page-197
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
epak wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

No it can’t

Very wise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:

If you believe Mr. Rambis over at lakerball.com, there are concerted efforts in place by AEG and New Balance to convince Uncle Dennis that the Lakers are the place he needs to be.

Quote:
Jeanie has asked AEG to use this to pitch Kawhi this summer, and they are working on it. They've been talking to Kawhi's uncle and New Balance about a deal structure in the 8 figure range should he end up a Laker. Kawhi though is not forthcoming in his intentions and this does not mean anything as far as him actually signing here. AEG would also rather have Durant as he's worth more, but the Lakers guys prefer Kawhi. LeBron has been talking to both also.

http://lakersball.com/threads/kawhi-laonard-discussion-%E2%80%9Ci%E2%80%99m-a-fun-guy-%E2%80%9D-164.3078/page-197

8 figure contract for what? He already has a contract with NB
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
trablos wrote:
YSong wrote:
kenkoy wrote:
Wino wrote:

Quote:

8 figure contract for what? He already has a contract with NB

Easily renegotiable. I’m sure the original had language to allow it to be amending for a significant “market event”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 640, 641, 642 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 641 of 878
Jump to: