Trade or Keep Laker’s 4th Pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lakers 4th Pick - Keep or Trade?
Keep & draft prospect
29%
 29%  [ 60 ]
Trade in package for AD
50%
 50%  [ 103 ]
Trade in package for Bradley Beal
9%
 9%  [ 20 ]
Trade in package for someone else
9%
 9%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 202

LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject:

The biggest issue for the Lakers is the #4 pick has the most value before a player is actually drafted.

Whatever team trades for the pick will want to pick their own player (even if the Lakers are officially making the pick). That means a trade will have to be agreed upon before the draft.

Agreeing to a trade before the draft without knowing how FA will play out is not going to happen unless the Lakers can get AD or decide they aren't going to be FA players and just want to use the 4th to get say Beal or Griffin or some other player.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

If the FO really likes a guy at No. 4, then keep the pick. If that is the case, I would expect that guy to be able to at least play backup minutes next year. No projects!

Now if they have a ton of reservations about the prospects after the top 3, I would be fine with trading No. 4 with one of Ball, Ingram or Kuz in some package.

In no situation do i give up the pick plus all of the young dudes for AD.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
I mean who wouldn’t love to get AD?

Depends what we need to give up.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

During the draft trade The 4th pick, two future picks, plus two of the young core for AD.

Try to land a big fish in free agency and if that's not possible just use the remaining cap space to fill the roster high quality role players.

With AD locked up the team should feel less compelled to overpay for guys like Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker.

In fact unless that Kawhi is willing to sign I'd use that Max slot for filling out the roster with role players instead of chasing some 3rd tier all star.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Of course you want to trade in a package for AD, but that may not be realistic considering the Pelicans don't want to trade with the Lakers.

With that being the case, the realization is that we have a ton of leverage with this pick. We take our time and play it smart and trade the pick for the right player to help LBJ.

Does Bradley Beal work? Possibly and Wizards will get a similar player for less money at the 4 spot.

So say we trade the pic for Beal and pickup Kemba in Free Agency, then we have a back-court of Kemba +Beal. OR...
We Trade Zo to the Bulls for #7 and we get Cam Reddish and Chris Dunn in exchange, then we would have Dunn+Beal+Reddish.
It doesn't sound to emphatic, but Beal is the Real Deal and he can flat out play and next to LBJ he would look like a true superstar.

We'd still have the space to sign a Max FA in possibly Klay Thompson after we shed some of the excess baggage!
spankykingston
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject:

I would like to have AD or Beal, but not willing to give up the farm or our future beyond LBJ for him or anyone... We just don’t have the assets to make a trade without giving up everyone... Now if someone was willing to sign and be traded along with the number 4 pick, Kuz and Hart then I’d be totally down with that...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject:

Trade for a star or trade down for more picks. Don't like the prospects in the 4-8 range
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Trade for a star or trade down for more picks. Don't like the prospects in the 4-8 range

Agree, not really any clear cut standouts past pick 3.

Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
The biggest issue for the Lakers is the #4 pick has the most value before a player is actually drafted.

Whatever team trades for the pick will want to pick their own player (even if the Lakers are officially making the pick). That means a trade will have to be agreed upon before the draft.

Agreeing to a trade before the draft without knowing how FA will play out is not going to happen unless the Lakers can get AD or decide they aren't going to be FA players and just want to use the 4th to get say Beal or Griffin or some other player.

I don't entirely agree with this. On the surface, yeah if you draft someone then someone else may value who you pick less than who they would've drafted at #4.

However, every year, there is a surprise superstar that can be discovered in the draft that most everyone misses out on. Draft that kid, and guess what? That #4 pick was gold.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Yup. I'd prefer to just draft some athletic, big men, who run the court and can give us a spark off the bench. Jaxson Hayes and the like, can be had later on I think.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

Would trade down for 8 and 10 if LeBron was not here, but he is. Lakers mindset has to be different. Players at 8 and 10 need time to develop. We don't have that luxury. At least at 4 you can draft a more ready player that can contribute right away. Hunter for sure could.

Either way, I think this pick is traded. Kind of takes away draft night excitement but if it gives us an established all star, who cares.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

I'd be surprised if the pick is kept. Lakers r in win now mode with lbj
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Hard to tell whether they will
keep it or not. It all depends on the opportunities that come up for trades. If they can't get AD with that pick I think they may as well just keep it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Beale is ideal next to zo and Bron
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
75% of us want to trade the pick...

Yeah 75% of the Nets fans were prob estatic to trade their future too for KG and Pierce...and how do they feel now about that trade?

755 of fans are knee jerk reactionist...never look at the past to determine the future
The Heatles
The Nets
Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Patton
Howard/Nash/Kobe

Just stop and grow your own path...your own team....find your own stars....
That old time 80-90's ways just not working be GS and grow your talent

One pick is the damn future?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Beale is ideal next to zo and Bron

It would take Zo to get Beale.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Yeah 75% of the Nets fans were prob estatic to trade their future too for KG and Pierce...and how do they feel now about that trade?

755 of fans are knee jerk reactionist...never look at the past to determine the future
The Heatles
The Nets
Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Patton
Howard/Nash/Kobe

One pick is the damn future?

It takes one Idiot FO to make one horrible trade that leaves them into mediocrity for years.....If we got the #11 pick we wouldnt even be talking about this dumb trade till mid season where it should be happening anyway...but noooooooooooooooooooo we had to get the 4th pick and our gullibile FO with the nudge from the MEdia/ESPN will make a terrible trade

not just the pick but future picks added and with the addition of multiple young talent will cost the future...just like the NETS its really no difference.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

The Heatles
The Nets
Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Patton
Howard/Nash/Kobe

There are three ways to acquire talent -- trading, drafting, and free agency. All are viable ways to build teams. Rather than generalizations (drafting is better than trading or vice versa), you have to analyze the specifics of each deal and each decision.
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
Best choice is to sign a max guy and draft Garland IMO.

Agree with this 100%
I'm not cool with gutting our whole team for AD.
Draft Garland who can end up the steal of the draft and try to sign a max guy like Kawhi or KD or Kyrie. If we strike out on all 3 just sit tight, develop the youth with Garland and try to sign AD next offseason.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Dang. A lot of AD fans in LG.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject:

i think i'd want to keep the pick. i think it can be another piece in helping us build sustainable success. then just hope for the best in FA.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I don't entirely agree with this. On the surface, yeah if you draft someone then someone else may value who you pick less than who they would've drafted at #4.

However, every year, there is a surprise superstar that can be discovered in the draft that most everyone misses out on. Draft that kid, and guess what? That #4 pick was gold.

And you have to wait until into the season to see if that player is the surprise superstar. That doesn't work with the Davis plan and if that player is a surprise superstar, are you really trading him?
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm not entirely opposed to trading the pick away, but LeBron + AD + scrap heap leftovers is not enough to win a championship next year. That team doesn't get past GS, Toronto, or Miluakee, and probably has trouble with Houston.

I don't see us as legitimate title contenders next year no matter what the scenario, so trading the 4th + 2 future firsts + gutting the young core is a terrible move.

That's why I didn't LeBron to come here, because this isn't the 2007 Eastern Conference, and he'll be 35 by the time the season starts. Mortgaging the future for a Western Conference Championship appearance is not appealing at all. Let him make movies, mentor the youngsters, and enjoy his early retirement in LA, but please dont' do anything stupid with the future of the Lakers in a misguided attempt at being competitive.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

Are we underestimating what a healthy Lakers team with a team of Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Bron, Max FA, #4 draft pick, quality shooters and defensive players can do?

There are honestly so many good FAs this year. We don't need to sit here and beg the Pelicans to trade with us. If they don't want to, then lets move on. They were a worse team than us last year.

If I'm management I let the Pelicans fleece NYK. Trading away multiple young pieces is what got us in this mess. DLo and Randle are both 20+ ppg scorer on other teams. Let's not repeat our mistake with Kuz and Ingram. Both will be good. They are both under 23 years old and averaging 18 ppg right now. Focus on adding one high level FA then filling the team with shooters and good role players. We've got the talent. Just need to stay healthy and get good leadership.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

No chance they're keeping it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: