Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
The show is still a top 3 show for me behind Friends and Lost.

You mean after the real top three of Breaking Bad, The Wire and the Sopranos . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

You mean after the real top three of Breaking Bad, The Wire and the Sopranos . . .
I’ve learned my lesson. Friends is great. I don’t care what anyone says. Friends > Citizen Kane.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I’ve learned my lesson. Friends is great. I don’t care what anyone says. Friends > Citizen Kane.

Bold choice my Friend.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

I’ve never been so sad that a show ended but I guess that shows how great it is. Most disagree, but I enjoyed the final season a lot. Rushed, but still incredible TV. It’s my favorite show of all time and I don’t think there’s anything to rival it. I’m hoping we get at least one spinoff with these characters and I think a chronicle of Aryas adventures is most likely.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

I should have mentioned this last night but Jon petting Ghost at the end brought the episode up significantly for me. The show-runners must have been smirking 2 weeks ago when people were going nuts about Jon not petting Ghost. I admittedly was rather annoyed when they said it wasn't in the budget.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
I’ve never been so sad that a show ended but I guess that shows how great it is. Most disagree, but I enjoyed the final season a lot. Rushed, but still incredible TV. It’s my favorite show of all time and I don’t think there’s anything to rival it. I’m hoping we get at least one spinoff with these characters and I think a chronicle of Aryas adventures is most likely.

I have some criticisms, but almost all of them are based on the show was so good, it deserved more episodes to properly lay out the last two seasons. I still rank it behind The Sopranos and The Wire, but that may be more about it not being my natural preferred genre of show.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

This show is top of all time even ahead of the wire, sopranos and breaking bad
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
-- so is Jon going to be spending the rest of his life @ Castle Black, or North of the wall?

-- Bran? I feel like this is an example of trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing almost no one.

-- Who knew Samwell Tarly was actually the father of democracy....all this time I had believed it was Cleisthenes.

-- I personally would have been more pleased if Grey Worm would have been killed....never cared for the character.

-- It is amazing how we watched Sansa (Sophie Turner) go from somewhat unattractive awkward early teen years to a beautiful young woman.

-- favorite part was Jon reuniting with Ghost

The Jon thing is an interesting question. The way I like to see it is that Jon never took his oath and going to head north of the wall where he will join the free folk and will not be bound by the paths of the nights watch. We saw how much he enjoyed being amongst the free folk earlier. He will be free and find a wildling lover.

I think he went full wildling too. Remember that Uncle Benjen was always his biggest inspiration, not Ned, so he's taking the same path Benjen did.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
-- so is Jon going to be spending the rest of his life @ Castle Black, or North of the wall?

-- Bran? I feel like this is an example of trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing almost no one.

-- Who knew Samwell Tarly was actually the father of democracy....all this time I had believed it was Cleisthenes.

-- I personally would have been more pleased if Grey Worm would have been killed....never cared for the character.

-- It is amazing how we watched Sansa (Sophie Turner) go from somewhat unattractive awkward early teen years to a beautiful young woman.

The Jon thing is an interesting question. The way I like to see it is that Jon never took his oath and going to head north of the wall where he will join the free folk and will not be bound by the paths of the nights watch. We saw how much he enjoyed being amongst the free folk earlier. He will be free and find a wildling lover.

I think he went full wildling too. Remember that Uncle Benjen was always his biggest inspiration, not Ned, so he's taking the same path Benjen did.

I do not agree with the bolded. Jon is compared and contrasted with Ned throughout the entire series.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I do not agree with the bolded. Jon is compared and contrasted with Ned throughout the entire series.

I agree, but he is compared to Ned by other people, because he's his son (for 99% of the world).

But it is because of Benjen he originally takes the black, it is when Benjen disappears beyond the wall that he suffers the most and it is Benjen who saves him when they were looking to capture the wight on S7.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter. All I know is I like it much better that he went wildling than if he stayed at the wall. Much better ending.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I have some criticisms, but almost all of them are based on the show was so good, it deserved more episodes to properly lay out the last two seasons. I still rank it behind The Sopranos and The Wire, but that may be more about it not being my natural preferred genre of show.

It is exactly my style. I loved Lord of the Rings and was sold the second I heard the premise and saw Sean Bean was in it. Then that initial trailer hit and it was over. I agree it was rushed, but I think that had as much to do with the actors wanting to move on as the show runners wanting to. Those actors may struggle to get other roles because they are known as Dany, Jon and Sansa etc not Emilia, Kit, and Sophie. But you are right, it was very rushed. I read the books between seasons 3 and 4 and remember thinking it could go 15 seasons.

I would call it the best show of all time but I've heard great things about the other two. Never watched Sopranos and fell off the Wire after a disappointing second season. IDK if I'll ever get to Sopranos but I plan on finishing the Wire. The first season was as good as TV gets(besides Thrones)
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

Dany should have never gone back to westeros
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Completely agree with BB and Sopranos. GOATs.

The Wire imo is the most overrated show of all time. Watched the first 2 seasons and it was a drag getting through them. Didn't continue. I'd much rather watch Lost than the Wire
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Agreed.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

My whole view on the show changed this season. Bran is the most ingenious evil mastermind in TV/film history. This guy truly knew how to play the Game of Thrones. 10/10 this season. Perfection.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Another thing that bothered me is that Sansa said "ok, but the North will be independent again", and noone reacted. I'd expect at least Dorne and the Iron Islands would also pledge independence after that.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Another thing that bothered me is that Sansa said "ok, but the North will be independent again", and noone reacted. I'd expect at least Dorne and the Iron Islands would also pledge independence after that.

Made 0 sense. Also, Bran is a Northerner, Winterfell native. It's like if Ned became King of the Iron Throne. Sansa saying what she did was bad writing. The whole season was full of nonsensical scenes and rushed plot lines. Went from my #1 show all time to not barely top 10
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Completely agree with BB and Sopranos. GOATs.

The Wire imo is the most overrated show of all time. Watched the first 2 seasons and it was a drag getting through them. Didn't continue. I'd much rather watch Lost than the Wire

I liked Breaking Bad but it’s overrated and not on the level of those other shows IMO. The complete lack of interesting female characters was a big complaint of mine. I liked Pinkmans GF who OD’d quite a bit but she didn’t last very long. Skylar started off bearable but I hated everytime she was on screen by the end.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Bold choice my Friend.

Top 3 for me would be GOT, Breaking Bad, Lost.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Breaking Bad is not near a top three show, if we're being honest. Substitute it for The West Wing and you might be on point.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Breaking Bad is not near a top three show, if we're being honest. Substitute it for The West Wing and you might be on point.

My personal top5 would probably include some combination of Breaking Bad, The Shield and GOT (even with the drop), The Sopranos and maybe Narcos? It all comes down to personal taste and what shows one actually watched (I never watched The Wire, for example).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Sorry, but just from the masterful editing alone, Breaking Bad blows West Wing way out of the water and is easily one of the top 3 ever. It had facets that even great shows like The Wire and Sopranos just didn't.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

The Wire, Black Mirror, and Boardwalk Empire are my top 3. Still not a fan of The Sopranos ending. And some of the female characters on Breaking Bad were less than enjoyable to spend time watching. Unlike Better Call Saul for example.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DrDent wrote:

- I did like watching Arya sail off for adventure. Seemed fitting.

I think it was fitting if you fill in a lot of gaps with your imagination, but she basically went from a the Winterfell mercenary to Christopher Columbus in like a week.

One of the few times I've disagreed with you: Her entire character arc during the series was basically on the move. After Ned was beheaded she went on quite a journey that ended her up at the House of Black and White (across the sea) for awhile, then she came back to try and fill her death list. She already basically told Gendry she's not the stay at home type. I think her hitting the open seas to see what's out there fits where her character had grown, rather than stay in Winterfell to be a mercenary or a master of arms, etc. (e.g. flashback to when she hit the sea to go to Braavos that ended one of the seasons....this was kind of the same ending for me).
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

I'd be interested in a Jon Snow or Arya spin off of what happens next. But this final season wasnt too good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 243 of 247
Jump to: