Chernobyl
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Chernobyl

HBO's five part miniseries is out. The first episode was spellbinding, totally engrossing, riveting, and far too short. Had this been a ten episode simultaneous release Netflix offering, I would have been up all night.

I have read a lot about this disaster but I really knew nothing.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

Episode 2 aired last night....and it only got better. I recommend the official accompanying podcast....

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-chernobyl-podcast/id1459712981

It is with the creator, Craig Mazin, and really goes deep on why he told the story the way he did. Really highlights subtle things in the episodes that someone like me might miss, but are really important to the story and understanding the USSR at this time. For example, while the Soviet Union was very regressive in regards to females in leadership and most professions at the time.....but was very progressive in regards to females in science and medicine....hence you will notice most of the Doctors in the hospital scenes are female....and the character played by Emily Watson is taken seriously when she provides input on the disaster.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

I can really go down a rabbit hole looking a modern day pictures of Prypyat....the people were told to quickly take enough for a few days and they would return. They never returned. Closets are still full of clothes.....cans of food are still in pantries...an entire town/city basically left untouched as it was over 30 years ago.

Drone Footage of Prypyat

on the plus side, people should be able to return to live in about 20,000 years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

Not to derail the discussion but there was a good documentary last year (I think it was National Geographic) about the rebound of wildlife there. It focused mainly on the return of the wolf population. Contrary to what we have been led to believe, mutations and genetic issues weren’t associated with the meltdown.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Not to derail the discussion but there was a good documentary last year (I think it was National Geographic) about the rebound of wildlife there. It focused mainly on the return of the wolf population. Contrary to what we have been led to believe, mutations and genetic issues weren’t associated with the meltdown.

really? I know I have seen images from the museum they have for Chernobyl of animal mutation exhibits claimed to have been a result of the radiation. Also, if you google "chernobyl mutations animals", the images are not pretty.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Maybe that was closer to the meltdown. It was eerie seeing plant and animal life taking over a city.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

I like it so far but the english accents for a recent russian event is much more disengaging than something like Rome or even Valkyrie, especially after The Americans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I like it so far but the english accents for a recent russian event is much more disengaging than something like Rome or even Valkyrie, especially after The Americans.

on the podcast, the creator basically said they did nothing with accents....everyone is basically rolling in their natural accent. He goes into detail why they made that decision.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

So what does everyone think about those 3 guys essentially volunteering to die? And the way the episode ended

I'm hooked on this show. The science stuff has me paying very close attention so I can halfway understand it lol.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
So what does everyone think about those 3 guys essentially volunteering to die? And the way the episode ended

I'm hooked on this show. The science stuff has me paying very close attention so I can halfway understand it lol.

Great scene. There was a great deal of heroism and sacrifice that happened at Chernobyl. I think that's the part I'm enjoying learning about the most.

I like the Ulana Khomyuk (played by Emily Watson) introduced in this episode but according to the show's creator, she wasn't a real person. She was a composite of a group of scientists.

Can't wait for tonight's episode.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

So is it more of a docu-drama?

I need some new material after last night.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
So is it more of a docu-drama?

I need some new material after last night.

Exactly. Strap yourself in.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

there is definitely a new #1 on the list of ways that I do not want to go out.

Why was he or all of the 1st responders not loaded with so much morphine, they could not feel pain and would slip into death.....how do you allow anyone to live in that much agony?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

the miners wearing their birthday suits....
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Coworkers were insisting I watch this. I didn't realize it's so short, I'll have to give it a watch.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Why was he or all of the 1st responders not loaded with so much morphine, they could not feel pain and would slip into death.....how do you allow anyone to live in that much agony?

That's what I was thinking too. If they knew that the pain would be unbearable and your veins/arteries would burst, why not just give them morphine. It's not like there is any change of saving them.

Is the wife going to die now too? She was not only exposed to him for extended periods of time but they touched each other. And she is pregnant?? This is not going to end well.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. If they knew that the pain would be unbearable and your veins/arteries would burst, why not just give them morphine. It's not like there is any change of saving them.

Is the wife going to die now too? She was not only exposed to him for extended periods of time but they touched each other. And she is pregnant?? This is not going to end well.

When he was 1/2 jello. And she was in there putting his hand on her belly. I literally said out loud, "The B is crazy!"
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Legasov explained the cellular decay from radiation would cause their arteries to "spill open so you can't even administer morphine". This was during the scene where he and Scherbina were walking at night while being followed by the KGB.

Watching the firefighter die like that while his wife watched was just horrific.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Legasov explained the cellular decay from radiation would cause their arteries to "spill open so you can't even administer morphine". This was during the scene where he and Scherbina were walking at night while being followed by the KGB.

Watching the firefighter die like that while his wife watched was just horrific.

I know about the arteries thing, but during the 1-2 days of the patient appearing to get better why don't they give them morphine then? Before the real pain starts?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I know about the arteries thing, but during the 1-2 days of the patient appearing to get better why don't they give them morphine then? Before the real pain starts?

The pain relieving effects don't last that long. I doubt they didn't do anything to help relieve the suffering. Once the pain started, they probably administered some kind of pain relief as long as they could until their bodies could no longer process it.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The pain relieving effects don't last that long. I doubt they didn't do anything to help relieve the suffering. Once the pain started, they probably administered some kind of pain relief as long as they could until their bodies could no longer process it.

I mean why not just euthanize them? If death is certain and the road there is unimaginably painful, why not just give them an overdose of morphine while their body can process it?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I mean why not just euthanize them? If death is certain and the road there is unimaginably painful, why not just give them an overdose of morphine while their body can process it?

Not sure morphine overdose is painless.
Doctors aren't trained in killing their patients. It's against the Hippocratic oath.
We can't even execute the death penalty humanely nowadays.

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

I'v seen the first two episodes... This came up in my recommended videos today

rare footage from 86....very interesting

Compilation of Rare 1986 Videos of Chernobyl Disaster. (English)
15:48
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

yeah, the podcast went more into detail, and I just listened this morning. Wow, give each patient a gun and 1 bullet. Also, on the podcast the creator spoke about how they did not go nearly as far visually as some of the claims/writings. They spoke about one guy who turned a complete charcoal color before death.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

yeah, the podcast went more into detail, and I just listened this morning. Wow, give each patient a gun and 1 bullet. Also, on the podcast the creator spoke about how they did not go nearly as far visually as some of the claims/writings. They spoke about one guy who turned a complete charcoal color before death.

I've avoided the podcasts as I didn't want to chance any spoilers. Is the podcast an episode by episode deeper dive that does not move forward beyond the released broadcast episodes?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: