Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I'd be interested in a Jon Snow or Arya spin off of what happens next. But this final season wasnt too good.

First things first. Lets get that Sand Snakes prequel. Then we can follow up on the less important characters.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I was fairly satisfied with the ending. The dragon carrying Daenerys off was a nice scene, and I'm glad that the surviving characters got fairly happy endings. But I think it says something about how rushed the last season was that Jon spent a small part of a single episode in prison for killing Daenerys, with his fate determined as an issue discussed at a brief meeting, in contrast to season 4, when Tyrion spent most of the season in prison for allegedly killing Joffrey, with his fate determined by a dramatic trial, an epic duel, and a daring escape. The show could have and should have gone on a lot longer. I would have liked it to last forever.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/imsupercap/status/1130642166684930048?s=21

Would’ve been cool to have seen this.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Oy vey. Targeryen's are not immune to fire. John burns his hand early in the story, and Jon's biological father is burned by Khal Drogo. Dany survived fire twice, not all Targeryens are immune to it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Oy vey. Targeryen's are not immune to fire. John burns his hand early in the story, and Jon's biological father is burned by Khal Drogo. Dany survived fire twice, not all Targeryens are immune to it.

only one way to know about Jon for sure
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I was fairly satisfied with the ending. The dragon carrying Daenerys off was a nice scene, and I'm glad that the surviving characters got fairly happy endings. But I think it says something about how rushed the last season was that Jon spent a small part of a single episode in prison for killing Daenerys, with his fate determined as an issue discussed at a brief meeting, in contrast to season 4, when Tyrion spent most of the season in prison for allegedly killing Joffrey, with his fate determined by a dramatic trial, an epic duel, and a daring escape. The show could have and should have gone on a lot longer. I would have liked it to last forever.

I think the bolded hits a true note with probably most fans of the show. What really made the show so epic and allowed it to just keep going (eg the sheer number of fans watching the thing) is what you just described - the depth that was put on screen. It just wasnt typical for a TV show, and the unpredictability of what would happen to a character. It was a great magic concoction we all sipped deeply from from one season to the next, looking forward to the journey these characters were going on.

That really was cut short, the past 2 seasons in particular. Would 7 extra episodes (eg 2 full seasons instead of 2 shortened?) have made the difference? We will never know, but I think it would have filled at least some of the emptiness perhaps the rushed nature left, or perhaps removed it altogether.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Bol wrote:

I think the bolded hits a true note with probably most fans of the show. What really made the show so epic and allowed it to just keep going (eg the sheer number of fans watching the thing) is what you just described - the depth that was put on screen. It just wasnt typical for a TV show, and the unpredictability of what would happen to a character. It was a great magic concoction we all sipped deeply from from one season to the next, looking forward to the journey these characters were going on.

That really was cut short, the past 2 seasons in particular. Would 7 extra episodes (eg 2 full seasons instead of 2 shortened?) have made the difference? We will never know, but I think it would have filled at least some of the emptiness perhaps the rushed nature left, or perhaps removed it altogether.

The absolute worst and most angering part is that HBO was willing to give D&D as much money and episode/seasons as they wanted (HBO president wanted 10 season, GRRM wanted 12). D&D chose to do the last 2 seasons shortened and rushed because they wanted to move on to Star Wars. I hope Disney fires them from Star Wars.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Former Three eyed raven (Bloodraven/Brynden Rivers) was prisoner at KL and he was send to NW with order of King Aegon V. Now new three eyed raven (Bran) sends the prisoner Jon (Aegon) to the NW. I liked how it played out and imo Jon always belonged to Wall and north of it.

I also liked how Drogon melted the IT. It was a great scene.

As for GOAT shows, The Oz will always be #1 for me and its father of shows like Sopranos and Wire.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

So Jon kills Dany and the Dragon carries her away, except for a blood stain (and there were blood stains everywhere) how do the unsullied deduct that Jon killed her (Cause his knife is missing?).

So when they show up, why doesn't Jon just say that Dany was sorry for all the killing and did not want to be queen anymore and flew away, leaving him to fulfill his destiny?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
So Jon kills Dany and the Dragon carries her away, except for a blood stain (and there were blood stains everywhere) how do the unsullied deduct that Jon killed her (Cause his knife is missing?).

So when they show up, why doesn't Jon just say that Dany was sorry for all the killing and did not want to be queen anymore and flew away, leaving him to fulfill his destiny?

Jon has too much honor for that
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
tox wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

LOL at missandei

We also got god knows how many minutes of a (bleep) pointless romance between Brienne and Jaime that ultimately crescendos, er, sputters into him tooting and booting her and then immediately realizing, as any man would, that Brienne's best would never be as good as incest (with either of his siblings), and then riding away only to get killed by falling building materials.

Like with everything relating to S8, there are major caveats in pacing and execution, but Jaimie's story is a classic tragedy which subverts his redemption arc. It supports one of the main messages of the story, helpfully reiterated in the finale, that love is the death of duty. Brienne was always (from Season 3) the foil and alternative to Cersei, and that he turned away from her is how they (wisely) chose to ground Jaimie's redemption story.

You should post your cynical, detached criticism on reddit, it's sure to get upvotes.

Yeah, if you buy that Jaime's arc was consistently told, or that mid-series Jaime had any continuity with S8 Jaime.

But Jaime literally went back to Cersei after that scene and stayed with her for like four seasons. People are just reading into his redemption arc what they wanted to read. I get it, I felt the same way in Season 7 when she (bleep) massacred a ton of people and he stood by her. But you can't argue S8 Jaime is inconsistent with who he was before. Maybe if you think S7 Jaime is inconsistent with mid-series Jaime, but they established pretty well that he could never get over his love for Cersei.

I'm not going to sit here and argue the arc was masterfully written, and the S8 portion could've been given more breathing room. And certainly you can disagree with me and say it was just totally out of character. But it's that brand of cynical, detached whinging that annoys me, as opposed to just have an earnest disagreement in storytelling preference.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Asking GRRM and listening to his response? Because he has been asked and he said Targeryens are not immune to fire. Which is consistent with his story because Jon was burned in S1 and his father died my molten gold.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Asking GRRM and listening to his response? Because he has been asked and he said Targeryens are not immune to fire. Which is consistent with his story because Jon was burned in S1 and his father died my molten gold.

Viserys was his uncle, not his father
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure about that one. Were they played by the same actor, they looked identical to me? That's what got me. But point remains, Targeryens are not immune to fire, unless you know better than GRRM.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
tox wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure about that one. Were they played by the same actor, they looked identical to me? That's what got me. But point remains, Targeryens are not immune to fire, unless you know better than GRRM.

Yeah I don't think they were the same actor but I remember when they revealed Rhaegar (i.e. Jon's dad/ Dany's brother) for the first time in the show, people commented on how much he looked like Viserys. Understandable mistake to make -- and yeah you are right that Targs aren't immune to fire.

People get confused because Dany used fire as a way to kill all the Khals in Season 5 while she was immune, which was just another example of D&D of abusing worldbuilding to allow for a storytelling shortcut. But she's not supposed to be immune to fire, nor is any other Targ. Hatching the dragons was a one time event
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Robert Baratheon killed Jon Snows dad long before the show started. But you’re right he’s not immune
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
tox wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Yeah I don't think they were the same actor but I remember when they revealed Rhaegar (i.e. Jon's dad/ Dany's brother) for the first time in the show, people commented on how much he looked like Viserys. Understandable mistake to make -- and yeah you are right that Targs aren't immune to fire.

People get confused because Dany used fire as a way to kill all the Khals in Season 5 while she was immune, which was just another example of D&D of abusing worldbuilding to allow for a storytelling shortcut. But she's not supposed to be immune to fire, nor is any other Targ. Hatching the dragons was a one time event

The burning of the Khals could still happen in the books. Might not be inconsistent.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

Is Bran evil? Wish any of us knew. Considering he is the last king we see in a show called Game of Thrones!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Is Bran evil? Wish any of us knew. Considering he is the last king we see in a show called Game of Thrones!

The only evil left is Sansa coldly telling the whole wide world basically Bran can't get it up
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject:

Listening to "A Lannister Always Pays His Debt" -- (bleep) was this score fantastic through the end. Hearing the Stark Theme play was probably my favorite part of the finale, lol
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject:

Lets get prequels shows.

Seems like we will get Long Night vol.1 next year. I wonder how they defeated WW without killing NK.

After that they should do Doom of Valyria and introduce Targs. Then follow it with Aegon’s conquest of Westros then Dance of Dragons to show Targs civil war. Then jump to Blackfyre rebellion where you can include Dunk and Egg storyline then show how Targs’ fall by telling Tragedy at Summehall, Aerys becoming mad king and Robert’s rebellion.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Lets get prequels shows.

Seems like we will get Long Night vol.1 next year. I wonder how they defeated WW without killing NK.

After that they should do Doom of Valyria and introduce Targs. Then follow it with Aegon’s conquest of Westros then Dance of Dragons to show Targs civil war. Then jump to Blackfyre rebellion where you can include Dunk and Egg storyline then show how Targs’ fall by telling Tragedy at Summehall, Aerys becoming mad king and Robert’s rebellion.

What I'm more curious to see is if they'll have a NK as well for the prequel, because there is no NK in the books. I'm also curious to see how they'll win the battle against the dead in the books, for the same reason. You can't just stab NK and everyone else dies like Arya did. I bet that'll be a major difference from the show.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
This show is top of all time even ahead of the wire, sopranos and breaking bad

Well, if you let the Barksdale crew have 3 dragons or give Tony Soprano the Unsullied, you may think differently.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
The show is still a top 3 show for me behind Friends and Lost.

You mean after the real top three of Breaking Bad, The Wire and the Sopranos . . .

Completely agree with BB and Sopranos. GOATs.

The Wire imo is the most overrated show of all time. Watched the first 2 seasons and it was a drag getting through them. Didn't continue. I'd much rather watch Lost than the Wire

My respect level for you...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
This show is top of all time even ahead of the wire, sopranos and breaking bad

Well, if you let the Barksdale crew have 3 dragons or give Tony Soprano the Unsullied, you may think differently.

By the way, I been saying, the wire should be remade right now, Baltimore can be the background, denzel’s son can be the lead
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 244 of 247
Jump to: