Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
there is definitely a new #1 on the list of ways that I do not want to go out.

Why was he or all of the 1st responders not loaded with so much morphine, they could not feel pain and would slip into death.....how do you allow anyone to live in that much agony?

Legasov explained the cellular decay from radiation would cause their arteries to "spill open so you can't even administer morphine". This was during the scene where he and Scherbina were walking at night while being followed by the KGB.

Watching the firefighter die like that while his wife watched was just horrific.

I know about the arteries thing, but during the 1-2 days of the patient appearing to get better why don't they give them morphine then? Before the real pain starts?

The pain relieving effects don't last that long. I doubt they didn't do anything to help relieve the suffering. Once the pain started, they probably administered some kind of pain relief as long as they could until their bodies could no longer process it.

I mean why not just euthanize them? If death is certain and the road there is unimaginably painful, why not just give them an overdose of morphine while their body can process it?

I have no answer. That's a question that goes way beyond what happened in Chernobyl as people all over the world die slow, painful deaths every day.

Since no one had ever seen the effects of such massive radiation sickness on that scale before then, I'm sure doctors were uncertain about how to handle the sick and dying. There were those who were exposed and survived. We know, for instance, that Dyatlov, the supervisor who was in the hospital and refused to speak to Ulana, is going to survive. In the first episode, Legasov recorded on his tapes that he was sentenced to a labor camp afterwards.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Why was he or all of the 1st responders not loaded with so much morphine, they could not feel pain and would slip into death.....how do you allow anyone to live in that much agony?

Legasov explained the cellular decay from radiation would cause their arteries to "spill open so you can't even administer morphine". This was during the scene where he and Scherbina were walking at night while being followed by the KGB.

Watching the firefighter die like that while his wife watched was just horrific.

yeah, the podcast went more into detail, and I just listened this morning. Wow, give each patient a gun and 1 bullet. Also, on the podcast the creator spoke about how they did not go nearly as far visually as some of the claims/writings. They spoke about one guy who turned a complete charcoal color before death.

I've avoided the podcasts as I didn't want to chance any spoilers. Is the podcast an episode by episode deeper dive that does not move forward beyond the released broadcast episodes?

yes, the one released last night basically only speaks about events through the end of the episode last night. Now they will say stuff like, "and we will revisit that in episode 5" or something when discussing a character....but they do not give any direct spoilers. They discuss why they filmed scenes the way they did, give limited back story on a character if they are real, and even talk about scenes that did not make the final cut, and why they were left out.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. If they knew that the pain would be unbearable and your veins/arteries would burst, why not just give them morphine. It's not like there is any change of saving them.

Is the wife going to die now too? She was not only exposed to him for extended periods of time but they touched each other. And she is pregnant?? This is not going to end well.

When he was 1/2 jello. And she was in there putting his hand on her belly. I literally said out loud, "The B is crazy!"

he kind of defended her actions on the podcast....just take yourself back to the Soviet Union as a common citizen.....and you are watching all these medical professionals around the patients....she probably did not truly believe that being around him was as dangerous as they were claiming. She, like most of the world was pretty ignorant to the danger of limited radiation exposure.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

yeah, the podcast went more into detail, and I just listened this morning. Wow, give each patient a gun and 1 bullet. Also, on the podcast the creator spoke about how they did not go nearly as far visually as some of the claims/writings. They spoke about one guy who turned a complete charcoal color before death.

I've avoided the podcasts as I didn't want to chance any spoilers. Is the podcast an episode by episode deeper dive that does not move forward beyond the released broadcast episodes?

yes, the one released last night basically only speaks about events through the end of the episode last night. Now they will say stuff like, "and we will revisit that in episode 5" or something when discussing a character....but they do not give any direct spoilers. They discuss why they filmed scenes the way they did, give limited back story on a character if they are real, and even talk about scenes that did not make the final cut, and why they were left out.

Why thank you sir! Time to take a listen.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
When he was 1/2 jello. And she was in there putting his hand on her belly. I literally said out loud, "The B is crazy!"

he kind of defended her actions on the podcast....just take yourself back to the Soviet Union as a common citizen.....and you are watching all these medical professionals around the patients....she probably did not truly believe that being around him was as dangerous as they were claiming. She, like most of the world was pretty ignorant to the danger of limited radiation exposure.

For sure. It was believable given her limited knowledge. Just painful to watch. It was very effective dramatic irony.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic show! The look of the show is incredible. The first two episodes were absolutely riveting as the situation unfolded in what felt like real-time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

This would be a great show to try to edit into a PG version, and show in high school for history classes that are on related subject matter.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
This would be a great show to try to edit into a PG version, and show in high school for history classes that are on related subject matter.

High school students can handle what's in the show. It's not violent, and the only nudity has been a few shots of non-sexualized dong - it's just bleak in tone and demonstrates the effects of exposure to radioactive material.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Now I'm beginning to understand why Legasov hung himself.

It's like every episode is more horrifying than the last learning what had to be done to fix this. Craig Mazin mentioned on the podcast that part of the clean up involved culling animals but it didn't occur to me that also included domestic pets.

Looking forward to the release of the next podcast episode to find out more background.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

High school students can handle what's in the show. It's not violent, and the only nudity has been a few shots of non-sexualized dong - it's just bleak in tone and demonstrates the effects of exposure to radioactive material.

of course they can handle it, but I do not know any districts that are showing films with that language and full nudity in the classroom. A public school teacher would be suspended within a week of showing.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

It's like every episode is more horrifying than the last learning what had to be done to fix this. Craig Mazin mentioned on the podcast that part of the clean up involved culling animals but it didn't occur to me that also included domestic pets.

Looking forward to the release of the next podcast episode to find out more background.

I had to semi ffw through those parts...no Fido hunting for me. Totally skipped ahead when he came upon the momma and pups. I loved the opening...that elderly lady was too old and had lived through too much to fear a young soldier with a gun. Finally, the news of Lyudmilla Ignatenko living because her baby absorbed the radiation was crushing....surprised she does not hang herself.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

90 second runs on a roof @ 12000rad.

Then someone says "You've just earned 800 rubles (12 cents)." Fuggin hell! Boris. Stick it where da sun don"t shine... I'd have made a horrible Rusky...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

I had to semi ffw through those parts...no Fido hunting for me. Totally skipped ahead when he came upon the momma and pups. I loved the opening...that elderly lady was too old and had lived through too much to fear a young soldier with a gun. Finally, the news of Lyudmilla Ignatenko living because her baby absorbed the radiation was crushing....surprised she does not hang herself.

Oh you wiener . . . or should I say I'm glad that I have have company, as I had to fast forward as well.

Brutal episode.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Oh you wiener . . . or should I say I'm glad that I have have company, as I had to fast forward as well.

Brutal episode.

Did you fast forward with the lady milking the cow?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

This show is a masterpiece.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Brutal episode.

No. Cows and people I can take. Dogs and cats, not so much.

Last edited by ribeye on Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I don’t want to read this thread yet, because I don’t want to see any spoilers ( ). But I just wanted to chime in because I just watched the first episode and . . . HOLY $#!t was that intense, compelling, stunning to look and utterly horrifying to contemplate.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Mon May 27, 2019 9:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Brutal episode.

Ahh. So you've a soft spot for mammals that can fit in the backseat of a Prius...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

of course they can handle it, but I do not know any districts that are showing films with that language and full nudity in the classroom. A public school teacher would be suspended within a week of showing.

Well, Florida and California are different.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Brutal episode.

The podcast goes into this further and talks about a brutal scene that was cut. I probably would have missed this as well as my fast forward finger was ready.

Also they say by the end of episode 5, the viewer will be certain of everything that happened.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

next time a need for X Rays arise, I am asking for two lead blankets
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
next time a need for X Rays arise, I am asking for two lead blankets

*adkindo's skin starts sliding off his body like bedsheets*
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I don’t want to read this thread yet, because I don’t want to see any spoilers ( ). But I just wanted to chime in because I just watched the first episode and . . . HOLY $#!t was that intense, compelling, stunning to look and utterly horrifying to contemplate.

It only gets better and better.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Almost every scene is sickening. I wasn't old enough to hate the USSR before it went down, but thanks to this show I now know what it feels like.

What excellence! What acting. The sets they created for the ruined plant are unbelievable. Shoutout to Stellan Skarsgard, one of the most underrated actors, for absolutely carrying his scenes.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Brutal episode.

The podcast goes into this further and talks about a brutal scene that was cut. I probably would have missed this as well as my fast forward finger was ready.

Also they say by the end of episode 5, the viewer will be certain of everything that happened.

Just heard him describe the scene that was cut. It was a dog that was still alive after being shot. The soldiers had run out of bullets to finish it off so it was going to be buried alive in cement along with the dead ones. He was right to cut that scene. That's too much. What was left in the final cut was horrible enough.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: