Why are people upset with Rob?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

I never knew enough about Pelinka and never bought into "he is a snake" rumors. It is a bit reassuring that some of the more questionable moves seem to be on Magic's doing. But the fact remains that Pelinka should not running be the Lakers by himself. He is not strong enough to fight through the Rambii/Phil influences and he doesnt have the league-wide respect to recruit stars or get some fair trades done with other GMs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
You're right. Vogel did a tremendous job in Orlando. A real clinic.

If the Lakers "vision" includes the mandatory inclusion of Jason Kidd it tells me all I need to know about that vision.

Man you really can't make a reply without putting words in my mouth, huh? When did I say he did a tremendous job? Lol

I said that team was doomed with or without him. I can guarantee that Ty Lue wouldn't have won in Orlando that year that's for damn sure.

Just a bit of sarcasm. No coach was going to build a contender with that roster in Orlando but I can't see any sign that he did well there even with what he had. My beef isn't with Vogel. He's a decent coach and seems like a hard worker. The fact is he was their 3rd or 4th choice and they wanted him to be an assistant under someone they liked better. Period. He wasn't even considered for the job before their two original plans fell apart. If that's not screwing up a coaching search I don't know what is.

There's a reason the refrain I keep reading from people is "well I'll give him a chance" or "I'll wait until after this summer to judge." Jeanie Buss has a pattern of hiring her unqualified and inexperienced buddies to run the team, while forcing them to hire people they don't want to work with. She hired Magic, an inexperienced dunce to run ops while forcing Rob on him. She promoted Rob, an inexperienced novice and forced Kurt on him. She hired her 3rd or 4th choice for coach and forced Kidd on him.

It's nice that people are trying to be optimistic about rolling the dice on Pelinka learning on the job without a mentor, but it's important to remember that in doing so you're arguing against cleaning house and bringing in real professionals who know how to do this, have experience executing the job at a high level, and letting them build a world class organization. I continue to fail to see how anyone can argue against that in favor of just picking a friend of Jeanie and hoping for the best.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

I feel like Kobe likes Pelinka so much because they are similar: ruthless a-holes with tons of ambition and an obsessive work ethic. Not sure how successful someone with those attributes can be in a GM role, but now that Magic isn't mucking things up with his questionable decisions, we'll soon see.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Ever since he left there has been no drama or soap opera stories coming out of the Lakers organization.

Huh? Since Magic left they skipped out on exit interviews, refused to clarify or define the FO structure until a couple days ago, failed to control the message on several fronts, and engaged in a completely botched coaching search. They've barely had anything to do since the end of the season and handled none of it well.

How do you mean "they skipped out on exit interviews"?

They conducted exit interviews. Here are the articles on Kuzma's and Ingram's:

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-exit-interviews-kyle-kuzma-will-never-say-anything-bad-about-magic-johnson/2019/04/10/

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-exit-interviews-brandon-ingram-was-worried-about-blood-clot-after-hearing-about-chris-boshs-situation/2019/04/10/
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Ever since he left there has been no drama or soap opera stories coming out of the Lakers organization.

Huh? Since Magic left they skipped out on exit interviews, refused to clarify or define the FO structure until a couple days ago, failed to control the message on several fronts, and engaged in a completely botched coaching search. They've barely had anything to do since the end of the season and handled none of it well.

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-exit-interviews-kyle-kuzma-will-never-say-anything-bad-about-magic-johnson/2019/04/10/

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-exit-interviews-brandon-ingram-was-worried-about-blood-clot-after-hearing-about-chris-boshs-situation/2019/04/10/

What I mean is that they didn't address the media as is customary. After Magic's sudden departure they pushed their players onto the media stage to let them fend the questioning about wtf was even going on with the team while they hid behind the curtain. Its not only cowardice, but piss poor message control. But again, inexperienced novices are at the helm and their mistakes and growing pains will come at our expense.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
A couple of things here.

Magic was a basketball savant on the court. He lived in the moment, saw the possibilities and made the split second decision on the court. He had incredible court vision.

That type of uncanny basketball sense doesn't necessarily translate into step by step processes, analysis and tedious "work".

Magic has always lived in the moment. He is instinctual. He speaks his mind on the spot. He would tweet his praise of young basketball players in the moment (examples: Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Knight, Jimmer Fredette etc) usually coming after a single great performance. With time ultimately, these would look bad, but in a single moment, they made sense.

Magic doesn't contextualize well and rarely sees the big picture. He doesn't look that many steps out, he only saw the next basket. He doesn't really think about the far-ranging consequences of what he says.

When Magic was forced to choose his words carefully, he was very uncomfortable.

Magic wanted and had (with the exception of being able to fire Luke) ultimate basketball authority. He gave his snap choices on why he got rid of Randle, D-Lo, and Zubac. He overrode the scouts on Wagner.

Rob is more of a process guy, he keeps talking about the collaboration. Rob diplomatically said, "there was collaboration around those decisions with the staff and then he (Magic) ultimately made the final choice on basketball matters". I don't know which decisions, if any, they disagreed with. Rob isn't throwing bodies out of the bus. Rob is at least attempting a show a unified front, even in the face of chaos.

It would've been pretty impossible to get Magic to function and process differently. He wants to run things like he did on the basketball court. Impulsively and instinctively. That just doesn't translate that well into running an entire NBA team.

Magic, the salesman, was hampered by NBA rules. He wasn't allowed to be him. It basically handcuffed him at what he was the very best -- his ability to use his charm and light up a room which elsewhere he was able to convert into business success. But in the NBA, no, he wasn't allowed. That part, he hated.

NBA Rules, CBA, Constitution & Bylaws etc existed well before Magic took his FO position, so he should have known what he was signing up for.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
I feel like Kobe likes Pelinka so much because they are similar: ruthless a-holes with tons of ambition and an obsessive work ethic. Not sure how successful someone with those attributes can be in a GM role, but now that Magic isn't mucking things up with his questionable decisions, we'll soon see.

Yeah, he deserves a fair shake just like Magic did. It's pretty clear now all the baffling personnel decisions were Magic's doing.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue May 21, 2019 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Rob Pelinka skipped out his exit interview.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Rob Pelinka skipped out his exit interview.

...and Lebron
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
There are lots of reasons, but primarily because he is not qualified to hold the job he has and he's there instead of somebody who is.

Why is he unqualified? He has a law degree and was one of the most prolific agents in the NBA, he understands the NBA and salary cap as well as anyone, he's been around the NBA for many years and understands the business. Why would you consider him unqualified? Because he hasn't had that specific title before? I'm asking what he's done to deserve people to want him fired when it seems he's been opposed to all of the decisions that we've been complaining about for the past 2 years.

It's not just a different title, it's an entirely different job for which he has zero experience and nobody to learn from and his former career has left him with a bad reputation amongst agents and teams he now has to deal with. Hiring him was a completely unforced error and done so because of his relationship with Jeanie. There are elite, experienced executives out there that would take the job, but instead we are running an on-the-job training program (with no trainer) during a crucial summer that is going to make or break LeBrob's time here.

If you can only hire a GM who's been a successful GM in the past you have a list of like 4 people alive. He's literally probably more qualified than any other human who hasn't done the job previously.

The league is filled with successful GMs. Go get one. There's more than 4, but who cares? Go get one of them. They didn't even try. Pelinka isn't more qualified than any other human because he isn't qualified at all. He's a rookie to this job. Zero experience and nobody to learn from.

I can't tell if you're being dense on purpose, holding a job title and doing the job isn't the only way someone can be qualified.

What are the qualifications ?
- Education? He's got a law degree
- Business experience ? He's specifically been involved with every aspect of the NBA on the business side from salary cap, player contracts, negotiations, and so on.
- Basketball experience? He play college basketball, was a part of the fab 5, and has been exclusively involved in the NBA/basketball for many years - and very successfully at that.

He's extremely qualified, qualifications are not defined exclusively by having held the job in the past. I have a masters degree and teaching credentials which makes me qualified for many teaching positions in my field even though I've never held a teaching position before. Stop conflating job experience with whether or not someone is qualified for the job itself.
This is the Lakers we are talking about, one of the most prestigious franchises in the NBA. Would you expect to have a tenured position at Harvard without a resume filled with teaching experience? Is he qualified? Possibly.

Is he the most qualified person for the job? No, because being an agent and managing a team requires different skill sets. Also, you need to have positive relationships with executives in other teams, which he reportedly does not have.

What skill sets do representing and managing a player and representing and managing a team have that are exclusive of one another? I'd say there are many common skill sets required for both.

Also I wouldn't equate my degree and education in terms of teaching to his being an agent in terms of being GM. He has a much more impressive resume going for a GM than I would going for a position at Harvard.

Yes, he's capable of performing the job. However, he is not the best choice. Said another way, if he was not Kobe's agent, would he have gotten the job with the Lakers? No, he would not have.

Jeanie needs to hire the best people for the jobs.

He had other clients but how is being a super successful agent for one of the greatest basketball players of all time a bad thing? That's kind of an accomplishment and the definition of success if you ask me.
So now we have real life example of why Pelinka was not right for this job. He made a mistake not negotiating the timing of Anthony Davis deal to leave us with a max slot. David Griffin was available to be hired before he took Pelicans job and he has experience with this exact type of deal when Cavs traded for Kevin Love for Andrew Wiggins. Griffin would not have made this mistake.
gaogi
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It was Magic not Rob

BlackStarMamba wrote:

Magic ultimate plan was bringing 2 superstars, instead of building a team.

Apparently, Rob has the same plan.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

David Griffin has a vested interest in keeping the Lakers' capspace down, as his team holds our future draft picks.

ANYONE thinking Griffin would ALLOW the Lakers to set a timeline that helps the Lakers make the future draft picks they sent out less valuable isn't thinking from both perspectives. Rob already negotiated keeping Kuzma, Griffin's not putting his whole offseason on pause for our benefit.

The Wiggins/Love deal wasn't fully negotiated until summer league was done, and Wiggins had already played in several SL games for Cleveland. LeBron was signed first. In that case, the only way to make the deal work was to wait a month, as the Cavs only wanted to do the trade if LeBron signed.

In our case, the other max free agents wouldn't have been interested in us until AD was traded for.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
There are lots of reasons, but primarily because he is not qualified to hold the job he has and he's there instead of somebody who is.

Why is he unqualified? He has a law degree and was one of the most prolific agents in the NBA, he understands the NBA and salary cap as well as anyone, he's been around the NBA for many years and understands the business. Why would you consider him unqualified? Because he hasn't had that specific title before? I'm asking what he's done to deserve people to want him fired when it seems he's been opposed to all of the decisions that we've been complaining about for the past 2 years.

It's not just a different title, it's an entirely different job for which he has zero experience and nobody to learn from and his former career has left him with a bad reputation amongst agents and teams he now has to deal with. Hiring him was a completely unforced error and done so because of his relationship with Jeanie. There are elite, experienced executives out there that would take the job, but instead we are running an on-the-job training program (with no trainer) during a crucial summer that is going to make or break LeBrob's time here.

If you can only hire a GM who's been a successful GM in the past you have a list of like 4 people alive. He's literally probably more qualified than any other human who hasn't done the job previously.

The league is filled with successful GMs. Go get one. There's more than 4, but who cares? Go get one of them. They didn't even try. Pelinka isn't more qualified than any other human because he isn't qualified at all. He's a rookie to this job. Zero experience and nobody to learn from.

I can't tell if you're being dense on purpose, holding a job title and doing the job isn't the only way someone can be qualified.

- Business experience ? He's specifically been involved with every aspect of the NBA on the business side from salary cap, player contracts, negotiations, and so on.
- Basketball experience? He play college basketball, was a part of the fab 5, and has been exclusively involved in the NBA/basketball for many years - and very successfully at that.

He's extremely qualified, qualifications are not defined exclusively by having held the job in the past. I have a masters degree and teaching credentials which makes me qualified for many teaching positions in my field even though I've never held a teaching position before. Stop conflating job experience with whether or not someone is qualified for the job itself.
This is the Lakers we are talking about, one of the most prestigious franchises in the NBA. Would you expect to have a tenured position at Harvard without a resume filled with teaching experience? Is he qualified? Possibly.

Is he the most qualified person for the job? No, because being an agent and managing a team requires different skill sets. Also, you need to have positive relationships with executives in other teams, which he reportedly does not have.

What skill sets do representing and managing a player and representing and managing a team have that are exclusive of one another? I'd say there are many common skill sets required for both.

Also I wouldn't equate my degree and education in terms of teaching to his being an agent in terms of being GM. He has a much more impressive resume going for a GM than I would going for a position at Harvard.

Yes, he's capable of performing the job. However, he is not the best choice. Said another way, if he was not Kobe's agent, would he have gotten the job with the Lakers? No, he would not have.

He had other clients but how is being a super successful agent for one of the greatest basketball players of all time a bad thing? That's kind of an accomplishment and the definition of success if you ask me.
So now we have real life example of why Pelinka was not right for this job. He made a mistake not negotiating the timing of Anthony Davis deal to leave us with a max slot. David Griffin was available to be hired before he took Pelicans job and he has experience with this exact type of deal when Cavs traded for Kevin Love for Andrew Wiggins. Griffin would not have made this mistake.

I feel sorry for you if you really think we weren't prepared or just accidentally didn't negotiate the date
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

Beyond that, do people think we would have done better overall with Griffin in charge or Pelinka? If you say Pelinka you’re lying.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

What is one thing that Rob Pelinka is good at?

Lying and setting up meetings with a deceased person don't count.

That's why people are upset with him.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

This is an old thread and for the most part it seems the majority is happy with him. Just a few people who would be against him no matter what he did and people that enjoy complaining.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

Cozying up to the right people.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

This is an old thread and for the most part it seems the majority is happy with him. Just a few people who would be against him no matter what he did and people that enjoy complaining.

I do understand it's an old thread but can you say you are happy with Rob?
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

I feel sorry for you if you really think we weren't prepared or just accidentally didn't negotiate the date
I don't have to think it, it's a fact. Follow the timeline.

1. Lakers/Pelicans agree to trade.
2. Reports of timing being an issue to create max slot.
3. Lakers scrambling to revise trade to create max slot.

Why would Lakers scramble to create a max slot if they were aware the max slot wouldn't be available in the originally negotiated trade. It's because it was an oversight. Griffin outmaneuvered Pelinka.
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:

Why would Lakers scramble to create a max slot if they were aware the max slot wouldn't be available in the originally negotiated trade. It's because it was an oversight. Griffin outmaneuvered Pelinka.

These reports haven't been confirmed as truth yet so it's hard to judge Pelinka on hearsay.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
David Griffin has a vested interest in keeping the Lakers' capspace down, as his team holds our future draft picks.

ANYONE thinking Griffin would ALLOW the Lakers to set a timeline that helps the Lakers make the future draft picks they sent out less valuable isn't thinking from both perspectives. Rob already negotiated keeping Kuzma, Griffin's not putting his whole offseason on pause for our benefit.

The Wiggins/Love deal wasn't fully negotiated until summer league was done, and Wiggins had already played in several SL games for Cleveland. LeBron was signed first. In that case, the only way to make the deal work was to wait a month, as the Cavs only wanted to do the trade if LeBron signed.

In our case, the other max free agents wouldn't have been interested in us until AD was traded for.

It takes two to tango. Why does everyone assume Griffin is just barking out orders that we have to follow? What if we didn't agree on the 6th during negotiations? We simply don't know anything yet.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:

I believe to create a full max slot the Lakers need to delay the deal and also move out some players.

If the deal isn't delayed, I don't believe it's possible for the Lakers to create a full max slot.

So the reports of Pelinka seeking more cap space may have nothing to do with the NO deal. That said, who knows what the real story in all the rumors? Nothing official has been announced.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

They will love him at the parade.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:

Because we're not scrambling? That's literally only reported by Woj who, you know, also said we wouldn't get AD and we didn't have enough assets for it and has been on a negative Laker reporting spree for a while now.

You want to know the one thing that every single "reporter" agrees on? Rob has kept tight lips on this since BEFORE the trade was even completed. He's not talking, none of these reports are anything but rumors. You want to know the one real fact? We have a deal in place for Anthony Davis while keeping Kyle Kuzma and have multiple options and routes to secure a third max player.

BUT WOJ SAID WE"RE SCRAMBLING!!!!! ROB IS INCOMPETENT !!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

What I mean is that they didn't address the media as is customary. After Magic's sudden departure they pushed their players onto the media stage to let them fend the questioning about wtf was even going on with the team while they hid behind the curtain. Its not only cowardice, but piss poor message control. But again, inexperienced novices are at the helm and their mistakes and growing pains will come at our expense.

Why should they handle the media? The media is their enemy who simply post falsehoods about everything that happens in the FO. You think that going on camera is going to make things better. The media will dissect everything the Lakers say, and will spin until no end to create news. When are Laker fans going to realize that the Lakers are the enemy of every team in the NBA, and that some owners actually pay certain media outlets to create and spin negative news.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: