View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
The show is still a top 3 show for me behind Friends and Lost.

You mean after the real top three of Breaking Bad, The Wire and the Sopranos . . .

Completely agree with BB and Sopranos. GOATs.

The Wire imo is the most overrated show of all time. Watched the first 2 seasons and it was a drag getting through them. Didn't continue. I'd much rather watch Lost than the Wire

I can see leaving after season 2 of the Wire tbh. I liked it, and it had one of HBO's best nude scenes, pre-game of thrones, but overall, the second season was such a one-off that didn't really connect with the rest of the series the way the other seasons did. If you stuck with a little longer you probably would've gotten hooked.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jon Snow had all the narrative potential of an Aragorn, but the emotional burden of a Frodo

Kim Renfro on twitter.

This is one of the best assertions regarding Jon and the LOTR parallels that I have seen.

Someone also goes on to compare Bran's magical journey starting out like Frodo's but ending up the king like Aragorn.

I can't wait to see these fleshed out in the books more. GRRM is hopeful to have announcement/be finished with The Winds of Winter by this time next year.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

If. I. Hear. One. More. Person. Say. It. Should. Have. Been. Dany. I'm. Going. Postal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

You mean after the real top three of Breaking Bad, The Wire and the Sopranos . . .

The Wire imo is the most overrated show of all time. Watched the first 2 seasons and it was a drag getting through them. Didn't continue. I'd much rather watch Lost than the Wire

I can see leaving after season 2 of the Wire tbh. I liked it, and it had one of HBO's best nude scenes, pre-game of thrones, but overall, the second season was such a one-off that didn't really connect with the rest of the series the way the other seasons did. If you stuck with a little longer you probably would've gotten hooked.

As it turns out, season two was very integral to the remaining seasons. But more importantly, the Wire was a meditation on the decay of modern civilization via the vehicle of a single city. And that city's decay is seen through multiple interlocking parts of the city. The street drug trade and the cops, the docks, the schools, the politicians, the donors and investors, the media. The interplay of how intertwined and similar all of them were, that the drug dealers were no less moral than the "city fathers". Told through a narrative protagonist who was himself imbued with all of the flaws of the city The fact that the moral centers of the show were a black gay stickup man and a multiracial lesbian cop was unique as well.

There's never been a show with larger literary intentions, and the fact that it pulled them off as well as it did is staggering. Taste is one thing, but anyone who doesn't grasp the significance of the show just doesn't know what they were watching.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

As it turns out, season two was very integral to the remaining seasons. But more importantly, the Wire was a meditation on the decay of modern civilization via the vehicle of a single city. And that city's decay is seen through multiple interlocking parts of the city. The street drug trade and the cops, the docks, the schools, the politicians, the donors and investors, the media. The interplay of how intertwined and similar all of them were, that the drug dealers were no less moral than the "city fathers". Told through a narrative protagonist who was himself imbued with all of the flaws of the city The fact that the moral centers of the show were a black gay stickup man and a multiracial lesbian cop was unique as well.

There's never been a show with larger literary intentions, and the fact that it pulled them off as well as it did is staggering. Taste is one thing, but anyone who doesn't grasp the significance of the show just doesn't know what they were watching.

Well said.

I would add that The Wire isn't a show to simply watch, it's a show to be understood; you need to actively watch the show, using your brain as much as your eyes.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Just get me to the books. Hurry up GRRM!
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I didn’t love her series finale, but I’ve generally been dissatisfied with any endings.

The only one that was good was 6 Feet Under
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject:

If there was a poll in a year or 2.....The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones, who wins? (I say in a year or 2, because I think recency bias would play to much of a role now, both positive and negative.) I am not asking what you think should win....but in general on LG who you think would win.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
If there was a poll in a year or 2.....The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones, who wins? (I say in a year or 2, because I think recency bias would play to much of a role now, both positive and negative.) I am not asking what you think should win....but in general on LG who you think would win.

Sopranos.

All of those series had a down season or two. Sopranos had more appeal.

Surprised no one has mentioned Mad Men in a list of top shows.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Sopranos had some filler too. Love that show as much as any. But it doesn’t touch the wire on an artistic level.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Sopranos.

Yeah, I'll take the Sopranos #1 all time. BB 2nd. The Wire just didn't hook me.

Mad Men is great especially with it's rewatchability. I'd also add in Mr. Robot into the mix for best current shows and if they nail this final season could be a top 10 all time show imo.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject:

https://i.redd.it/xnisr5umzqz21.png

I honestly still find it baffling that people think S8 was measurably worse than S7, but I'm resigned to disagreeing with the consensus on this one.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Sopranos.

I enjoyed Mad Men, but I just threw out the names I mostly saw mentioned in thread. For me personally, The Sopranos is a close favorite, but I know there is probably more passion from The Wire folks.

Is there any show on now that reaches that top tier of shows? If not, it would be the first time in almost two decades that a Mount Rushmore contending series has not been airing.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I honestly still find it baffling that people think S8 was measurably worse than S7, but I'm resigned to disagreeing with the consensus on this one.

Aside from S8E2 there wasn't much in terms of quality dialogue in S8. S7 had the stupid wight hunt but the rest of the season (sans Euron and Bronn) had enjoyable conversations. And Field of Fire 2 was great.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:

Aside from S8E2 there wasn't much in terms of quality dialogue in S8. S7 had the stupid wight hunt but the rest of the season (sans Euron and Bronn) had enjoyable conversations. And Field of Fire 2 was great.

Also,

1. Arya's avenging House Stark by killing all the men of House Frey
2. Olenna's confession and the fall of House Tyrell
3. The reunion of the Stark children
4. House Stark taking taking it's vengeance on Littlefinger
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I’ve never understood the distaste for Wire Season 2. I thought it was great.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Sopranos.

Its at the top of my list
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I liked season 2. Sobotka was great but Ziggy and Nick were not very likable or that interesting - that might just be in comparison to all the Barksdale people being much more interesting though.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

My top 5

Sopranos
The Wire
Mad Men
The Americans
Breaking Bad
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

I wonder if binge watching compared to watching something weekly has an effect on how someone views a show? I binge watched The Wire, and the first few seasons of Mad Men....and I can recall feeling very deep and attached to the series while watching in that manner....kind of more connected to the characters.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I wonder if binge watching compared to watching something weekly has an effect on how someone views a show? I binge watched The Wire, and the first few seasons of Mad Men....and I can recall feeling very deep and attached to the series while watching in that manner....kind of more connected to the characters.

I think a slow binge (no more than 1 or 2 episodes a day) is the best way to view most shows.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Sopranos had some filler too. Love that show as much as any. But it doesn’t touch the wire on an artistic level.

Loved the Wire too but I think it jumped the shark with the whole McNulty fake serial killer deal in the final season
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

My favorite Jon Snow quotes of S8.

1) She's muh kween
2) The night king is comin
3) Never ave
4) Ah don wan it.
5) i lov ha
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think a slow binge (no more than 1 or 2 episodes a day) is the best way to view most shows.

That’s how I do the shows I love. 1-2 episodes a day, every once in a while throw in an extra episode or two
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

I liked season 2. Sobotka was great but Ziggy and Nick were not very likable or that interesting - that might just be in comparison to all the Barksdale people being much more interesting though.

Interesting factoid: the actor who played Nick is Liev Schreiber’s brother.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 245 of 247
Jump to: