OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1651, 1652, 1653 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Do LG.com folks like watching Zo play? Just from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm curious if he entertains the posters here when he's on the court healthy.

I enjoy watching him play, but I like defense. Only I cringe when he shoots FTs.

I haven't found myself wanting a player to do well as much as I have Lonzo for whatever reason. When he hits a few threes it's hype af, when he makes a really good play it seems that it's infectious with not only the team but fans. It really does feel like everyone wants him to succeed so badly.

When he hits a three the whole crowd goes nuts every time, when he gets a steal or makes a dope full court pass everyone is so excited. He brings something so intangible with just how much people like watching him do well.
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

Do LG.com folks like watching Zo play? Just from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm curious if he entertains the posters here when he's on the court healthy.

Not on this team. He would probably be exciting on a team like PHX or Chicago.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He's the most exciting player on the squad when he's on the break..

Why? He is extremely one-dimensional on the break, hes either going to pass or brick the shot....

What a foolish statement.

At the rim Lonzo isn't all that creative - YET. But his passing (Especially pass aheads) on the break are best I've ever seen.

But ya, at the rim on the break he's had only a couple of moments where he trusted his athleticism and went to the bucket with bad intentions.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why? He is extremely one-dimensional on the break, hes either going to pass or brick the shot....

At the rim Lonzo isn't all that creative - YET. But his passing (Especially pass aheads) on the break are best I've ever seen.

But ya, at the rim on the break he's had only a couple of moments where he trusted his athleticism and went to the bucket with bad intentions.

Kevin Love?
Magic?
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

Vogel is not the most creative offensive coach in the NBA but he is 100x better than Luke. I can't wait until this season starts and you guys see what Ball can do with a PROFICIENT SG by his side.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

I liked watching him more as a rookie. I really think the arrival of Lebron stunts his growth as it takes that ball out of his hands (where he's not very effective because he can't shoot it).

When his confidence is high (usually when his shot is falling) he is super active and all over the court, and you can see the energy in his game. When it's not falling, you can sense him slump his shoulders and it really affects his psyche.

Water under the bridge now....but I was really passive on Lebron coming.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Kevin Love?
Magic?

Pass aheads from rebounds from KL and Magic are as good. But those 2 weren't/aren't the on ball defenders that Lonzo is.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He was 90/155 (58.1%) from the restricted area last year.
54.4% of the made baskets were unassisted.

It's a shame that nba.com no longer provide playtypes so we could get a better view of his transition plays. But I feel like his "bricks" narrative is overblown because he has missed some gimmies.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

It's a shame that nba.com no longer provide playtypes so we could get a better view of his transition plays. But I feel like his "bricks" narrative is overblown because he has missed some gimmies.

Although that doesn't indicate he's going to brick the shot when he does take one in the paint...it does indicate he rarely takes them. So he's half right...

That's what 2 or 3 attempts in the paint per game from our starting PG? That has to be extremely low around the league and indicative of the fact that he doesn't have the skills to get to the paint much at all, and also explains his historically low FTA (not % - although that too) rate.

And he's a 6'6" point guard!

If your PG isn't drawing fouls (and Free-throws), you're at a big disadvantage.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Although that doesn't indicate he's going to brick the shot when he does take one in the paint...it does indicate he rarely takes them. So he's half right...

That's what 2 or 3 attempts in the paint per game from our starting PG? That has to be extremely low around the league and indicative of the fact that he doesn't have the skills to get to the paint much at all, and also explains his historically low FTA (not % - although that too) rate.

That's fair
Does that mean he's one dimensional on the break?
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

That's fair

Yes, after his second year in the league he is. He's good in transition, and likely where he got those 155 attempts (inside the restricted area). Not very good at getting to the paint and takes less than 1 shot a game inside the paint (that isn't in the restricted area). I'd be curious to know of those 155 shots, how many of those came in the half-court set (probably very few).
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

scintillating d at times...
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I think his shooting struggles are drastically overblown but I agree with the frustration regarding his finishing. He passes up too many shots once he gets to the rim and has no idea how to draw contact. With that said, he made significant progress finishing from year 1 to 2 which is a great sign for the future. He needs to get to the line more and make them once he’s there.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
epak wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

That's fair

Yes, after his second year in the league he is. He's good in transition, and likely where he got those 155 attempts (inside the restricted area). Not very good at getting to the paint and takes less than 1 shot a game inside the paint (that isn't in the restricted area). I'd be curious to know of those 155 shots, how many of those came in the half-court set (probably very few).

You lost me.
The premise is about the break.
I ask if he's one dimensional on the break.
You say yes. But he's good in transition?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I think his shooting struggles are drastically overblown but I agree with the frustration regarding his finishing. He passes up too many shots once he gets to the rim and has no idea how to draw contact. With that said, he made significant progress finishing from year 1 to 2 which is a great sign for the future. He needs to get to the line more and make them once he’s there.

I think it's a couple of things:
1. Getting stronger, helped his at the rim %.
2. His technique needs work. I think GT had a video where he was talking about Lonzo jumping to far from the basket (or too close, I forget). And he wasn't releasing the ball at the apex of his jump.

Improvement from year 1 to 2 was good to see. He needs to improve year 3 as well.
Lakerchaq
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

2. His technique needs work. I think GT had a video where he was talking about Lonzo jumping to far from the basket (or too close, I forget). And he wasn't releasing the ball at the apex of his jump.

Improvement from year 1 to 2 was good to see. He needs to improve year 3 as well.
Amazing, by year 10 he will probably be at 10ppg 42% FG 33% 3PT 60% FT, HoF defense and Magic like passing!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakerchaq wrote:
epak wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
Kava wrote:
epak wrote:
al242 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Amazing, by year 10 he will probably be at 10ppg 42% FG 33% 3PT 60% FT and solid defense!

Great take. Tell us more.
ForumBlueFrank
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo is the funnest player to watch on the team. He's so unique, all over the place defending, moving the ball, rebounding and taking it downhill in seconds....he's a very exciting player.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject:

For all the Lonzo sucks talk, sure seems like teams want him the most out of the young players.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

When Zo is playing D and whipping the ball around the floor it's pretty much must watch for me. I love how unselfish he is, but I do get irritated when he's passing up open looks and second guessing himself. He's so talented and I can't wait for him to put it all together.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I don't think ZO should be groomed as a one....
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:

Not on this team. He would probably be exciting on a team like PHX or Chicago.

I REALLY enjoy watching him play D. His transition offense is also really pleasant to watch. His action in the half court offense is cringy to watch.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

I cringe whenever he's at the freethrow line or misses a wide open lay up.

That being said I still believe in his ceiling more than Ingram's. Not sure if that means a whole lot
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
I cringe whenever he's at the freethrow line or misses a wide open lay up.

That being said I still believe in his ceiling more than Ingram's. Not sure if that means a whole lot

Not when it comes from you obviously, noted BI murderer
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
For all the Lonzo sucks talk, sure seems like teams want him the most out of the young players.

Facilitators who can D up are harder to come by. Many of these teams have scorers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1651, 1652, 1653 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1652 of 1688
Jump to: