Official President of Basketball Operations Search Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Harrison Faigen @hmfaigen

Magic Johnson just said on First Take that part of the reason he left is that Rob Pelinka was saying things behind his back in the office, implying that he was behind the "Magic isn't working hard enough" rumors (not a direct quote from Magic, just specifying with rumors).

Magic Johnson said that Tim Harris was one of the people stopping him from firing Luke Walton, which he didn't like because he thought he had the power to make decisions.

Magic said that multiple agents called him when he got the job and that Pelinka was brought in with him to tell him that he needed to "watch out for" Rob.

When asked to specify about those rumors, if it was just Pelinka or others, he said "No, just Rob."

If Harris is making basketball decisions then Jeanie has jumped the shark
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

meanwhile 72 year old Gayle Benson who doesnt even care about basketball that much had enough sense to hire Griffin who made a seemingly good choice of hiring away the Nets assistant GM to be his GM.
embarrassing that a team like the Lakers did so much worse than this
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

There is no way you can let a backstabber be in charge of the Lakers, Jeanie is gonna cause us to miss out on FAs... wake up!!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

Jeanie is taking this organization to its lowest point
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

Thank goodness Magic is no longer in the FO.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
meanwhile 72 year old Gayle Benson who doesnt even care about basketball that much had enough sense to hire Griffin who made a seemingly good choice of hiring away the Nets assistant GM to be his GM.

Let's give the "new look" FO some time to show us what they can do? I know the events of the last few months (years?) have created a bad vibe overall... but hear me out?

I'm thinking Rob is very capable of playing both POBO and GM, seriously, Magic was redundant in that role except for a little help with recruitment. I'm also thinking the Vogel + Kidd pairing can be a good team... I'd like them to hire a dedicated shooting coach and revamp staff/processes where needed. I'm hoping that Phil and Kurt are staying in the background, i.e., not interfering or making decisions... but providing guidance/advice when they are asked or they see a need to... Phil might also help with recruitment. We could have the beginnings of a productive team between the 5 of these guys, if the rest of the business operations side does not meddle and allows them the chance to build some stability.

What they do with that freedom/stability is up to them though, and they'll be judged by their results.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon May 20, 2019 8:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

There is still enough time for Jeanie to oust Rob
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Why? Rob seems like he's been the glue holding the fort together despite the sideshow we've been witnessing... and unlike some others, he doesn't seem to be involved with anyone making a play at owning the Lakers (I could be wrong, just saying what it appears like currently).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Let's give the "new look" FO some time to show us what they can do? I know the events of the last few months (years?) have created a bad vibe overall... but hear me out?

I'm thinking Rob is very capable of playing both POBO and GM, seriously, Magic was redundant in that role except for a little help with recruitment. I'm also thinking the Vogel + Kidd pairing can be a good team... I'd like them to hire a dedicated shooting coach and revamp staff/processes where needed. I'm hoping that Phil and Kurt are staying in the background, i.e., not interfering or making decisions... but providing guidance/advice when they are asked or they see a need to... Phil might also help with recruitment. We could have the beginning of a productive team between the 5 of these guys, if the rest of the business operations side does not meddle and allows them the chance to build some stability.

What they do with that freedom/stability is up to them though, and they'll be judged by their results.

Yet you aren’t judging them by their results. The results haven’t been good.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Jeanie is the problem, not Rob
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
Harrison Faigen @hmfaigen

Magic Johnson just said on First Take that part of the reason he left is that Rob Pelinka was saying things behind his back in the office, implying that he was behind the "Magic isn't working hard enough" rumors (not a direct quote from Magic, just specifying with rumors).

Magic Johnson said that Tim Harris was one of the people stopping him from firing Luke Walton, which he didn't like because he thought he had the power to make decisions.

Magic said that multiple agents called him when he got the job and that Pelinka was brought in with him to tell him that he needed to "watch out for" Rob.

When asked to specify about those rumors, if it was just Pelinka or others, he said "No, just Rob."

If Harris is making basketball decisions then Jeanie has jumped the shark

He's making those decisions because of money. Jeanie is being cheap
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I'm thinking Rob is very capable of playing both POBO and GM, seriously, Magic was redundant in that role except for a little help with recruitment. I'm also thinking the Vogel + Kidd pairing can be a good team... I'd like them to hire a dedicated shooting coach and revamp staff/processes where needed. I'm hoping that Phil and Kurt are staying in the background, i.e., not interfering or making decisions... but providing guidance/advice when they are asked or they see a need to... Phil might also help with recruitment. We could have the beginning of a productive team between the 5 of these guys, if the rest of the business operations side does not meddle and allows them the chance to build some stability.

The results of the "old" FO haven't been good. I'm wanting to give the "new" FO a chance to give us some results before I start judging their results.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

The results of the "old" FO haven't been good. I'm wanting to give the "new" FO a chance to give us some results before I start judging their results.

This...agreed. So far I like the coaching hire...I like bringing back Judy Seto and we lucked out with the 4th pick. I'm giving them the summer then judge.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

"Johnson said he wasn't allowed to fire then head coach Luke Walton after Tim Harris, Lakers president of basketball operations/NBA alternate governor, became too involved in basketball decisions."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26787295/magic-lakers-gm-pelinka-was-backstabbing

According to ESPN, Lakers still have a President of Basketball Operations.

The search is over boyz!!!!!

Or just don't listen to anything ESPN says
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
This...agreed. So far I like the coaching hire...I like bringing back Judy Seto and we lucked out with the 4th pick. I'm giving them the summer then judge.

I'd forgotten about them bringing back Judy Seto.

As for judging results... I'm thinking a little more time than just the summer TBH, especially for the coaches. Obviously there are things we want to see during the summer too though... 1) how they go about building the team through signing/trading FAs and the draft... 2) how they fill out the rest of the coaching team/staff and especially if they hire a dedicated shooting coach... 3) what other changes, if any, are made to behind-the-scenes operations and departments like analytics/medical.... etc.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
There were murmurs that Jeanie Buss, whose blueprint has been to surround herself with people her father knew and trusted, had reached out to Riley in an attempt to coax him back to the West Coast in some front-office capacity. Riley shot down that notion on Monday.

"I have thought [about returning to the Lakers] only from a sentimental standpoint," Riley said. "But I was never pursued by them. Nobody officially contacted me. I have about 20 friends wishing I would come back, but nobody asked.

FWIW, Riley doesn't say he wouldn't come back..

Your move, Jeanie bear.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Finally saw episode 2 of The Shop where LeBron and Lonzo talked about Magic stepping down. They had a lot more to say, a lot more than the short clips ESPN plays on SC.

Best part was at the end of the show Don Cheadle volunteered to replace Magic and be the Laker’s POBO!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Taught I resurface this trend to see if the sentiment has changed about Magic Johnson.

Many were saying that Magic wasn't a good president after he stepped down.

Just wondering if the sentiment has changed? Consider the things below

1. Magic a few years ago was considering trading for Paul George for I think
Ball & Ingram, but decided to wait because he taught he come in free
agency later in the summer. PG decides not to join the Lakers because
he was upset they wouldn't trade for him.

2. Magic considered trading for Kawhi when he was with the Spurs but
refused also..truth is this trade was asking for way way too much

3. Magic considered trading for AD last year but would have included Kyle
Kuzma. He refused and now this summer they got AD and kept Kyle
Kuzma

4. Magic apparently "screws up" giving the Lakers a chance of getting Kawhi
this summer because he was talking to the media too much about their
meeting (not sure how true this is, but lets assume it is).

So if we fast forward to today, it is possible that if Magic did the PG trade, the Lakers wouldn't have had the assets to trade for AD this summer. Or possibly they would have traded PG instead (that is hard to say)..but than again if that happened, maybe Kawhi doesn't go to the Clippers because PG wouldn't have come to the Clippers.

And is the Lakers not getting Kawhi maybe a good thing?..perhaps.. so far this year, he hasn't been as good as people taught (still hard to tell). Perhaps because of his injury, which seems to be a permenent issue for the rest of his career.

As a result of Magic's decisions, the Lakers have a chance to win the championship. Additionally, he was humble enough to step down so perhaps someone like Rob can come in and work without having questions from someone above him. And perhaps Rob could do a better job putting together the team we have today.

Of course this is part luck..wasn't like Magic saw into a crystal ball and saw AD and Lebron with the Lakers. But than again, great managers often have plenty of luck involved in their decisions..and in some cases, bad luck.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Magic was awful as POBO and that we are good after his departure doesn’t change that.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Magic was awful as POBO and that we are good after his departure doesn’t change that.

No it doesn’t change that. But I like to separate decision making from results.

Because results have an element of luck involved. For example someone flipping a coin and calling heads and the result being heads doesn’t imply a good decision versus a lucky decision.

So ignoring the result of Magic’s POBO and looking instead at the decisionS he made.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

ummm.. those three trades would have had the Lakers heavily involved whether Magic was here or not.

Magic couldn't keep his mouth shut about anything and hardly ever came to work.. The Lakers are nearly drama free with no leaks or drama being caused by the front office ever since he left. Absolutely nothing has changed from me either other then you reminding me how lucky we are he left when he did.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Ahem
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

No it doesn’t change that. But I like to separate decision making from results.

Because results have an element of luck involved. For example someone flipping a coin and calling heads and the result being heads doesn’t imply a good decision versus a lucky decision.

So ignoring the result of Magic’s POBO and looking instead at the decisionS he made.

Decision making was bad
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Lakers reportedly offered Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson, Bradley Beasley and two 1st round picks. So we kept Kuzma and Rondo but gave up Hart and 1 first round pick.

Also, the offers were made public so it generated a bad environment in the team that doomed for sure the season. We cannot be sure about how much is Magic to blame with this though, but considering how everything that he was involved ended up in the press, he is not to be trusted in keeping a secret.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

Magic is like Al Bundy talking about the 4 touchdowns at Polk High school. Magic always talked about showtime Lakers (amongst other things). He kept comparing the Laker players to various players from showtime. Overall, he talked too much, didn't make good decisions, mainly because he didn't have a plan; like I feel what Rob did (along with Kurt Rambis) putting this team together. It was very strategic and masterful. It was unconventional, really. They went after fitting, solid role players to accommodate Bron and AD. They called Bron and AD to see who they thought would fit them. Also they put together an all star coaching staff to put the players in right position to succeed. That's an orchestrated plan to me. They had a blueprint of how they pictures team needed to be to succeed. Not, let's just get this good player and watch magic happen (no pun intended).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 68 of 71
Jump to: