THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1552, 1553, 1554 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Chairman Jerry Nadler Almost Passes Out Poor Fella

working so hard for Americans Thank you Sir

Or, according to many comments under the video, he's worried the big Deep State conspiracy is about to be exposed.

no comment on the comments
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Wilt wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Or, according to many comments under the video, he's worried the big Deep State conspiracy is about to be exposed.

Those comments are pretty vile. I don't know if thats the emoji i'd use.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Wilt wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Those comments are pretty vile. I don't know if thats the emoji i'd use.

I got a few licks in of my own
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

(From the twitter, echo chamber, thread)

ribeye wrote:

I was trying to understand why [the twitter echo chamber] thread has so much life and I see posts like this. Left-leaning? There begins the bias. CNN, the NY Times and WaPo are not left leaning, but they do account for the two most prestigious newspapers in the world and the leading cable news show. Yes, there is a lot of anti Trump coverage but this is because he is such a scumbag-opportunist-con-man out for himself, with little regard for truth, honesty, and decency, and not attacked any more for his policies than Obama and other presidents.

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
CNN, WaPo, and NYT are not left leaning?

Lol.

They are center-left and occasionally alt-left.

I read or skim both newspapers daily and watch CNN regularly. Do you?

I consume content across all ends of the spectrum.

CNN is not politically agnostic. No idea how anyone could reasonably draw that conclusion.

Rather than continue this here [in the twitter echo chamber thread], I will continue this in the political thread:

Nice way to avoid the question. I find most conservatives follow the talking points about the media but rarely watch or read what they characterize as liberal media. They much prefer their propaganda. Just as you can find instances to support your point, I can find instances that support the counter point. CNN not only allows conservatives to offer their viewpoints, they allow the wingiest of the wingnuts on as well.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

ribeye wrote:

I was trying to understand why [the twitter echo chamber] thread has so much life and I see posts like this. Left-leaning? There begins the bias. CNN, the NY Times and WaPo are not left leaning, but they do account for the two most prestigious newspapers in the world and the leading cable news show. Yes, there is a lot of anti Trump coverage but this is because he is such a scumbag-opportunist-con-man out for himself, with little regard for truth, honesty, and decency, and not attacked any more for his policies than Obama and other presidents.

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Lol.

CNN is not politically agnostic. No idea how anyone could reasonably draw that conclusion.

Rather than continue this here [in the twitter echo chamber thread], I will continue this in the political thread:

Nice way to avoid the question. I find most conservatives follow the talking points about the media but rarely watch or read what they characterize as liberal media. They much prefer their propaganda. Just as you can find instances to support your point, I can find instances that support the counter point. CNN not only allows conservatives to offer their viewpoints, they allow the wingiest of the wingnuts on as well.

the never trump republicans spent all morning on MSNBC plotting their future course...I took a pass
only watch news on CNN for the most part...too many republicans.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

ribeye wrote:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Lol.

Not a conservative. Voted democrat for every presidential election in which I was age eligible to vote including in 2016. I have been open about voting for Hilary begrudgingly dating all the way back to election night.

Someone in another thread posted this and as a non-tribal, I think it’s pretty accurate and aligns with what I said as well.

https://www.allsides.com/blog/introducing-allsides-media-bias-chart

I’m not sure what you mean by avoiding the question. I do not watch the same outlets in the same volume as you do. I generally consume anything in the center-left to center-right range.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Russia attacked our country with cyber warfare to sway an election.
But conservatives are only concerned with alt right leaders being punished for lying and using slurs.
Can't make this stuff up. It's stranger than fiction.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun May 26, 2019 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

What I meant by avoiding the question is that I asked, specifically, do you read the NY Times or the Washington Post, and do you watch CNN? If you don't, then I would think it would be hard to form an accurate opinion of their content.

I'll check out the link later.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
What I meant by avoiding the question is that I asked, specifically, do you read the NY Times or the Washington Post, and do you watch CNN? If you don't, then I would think it would be hard to form an accurate opinion of their content.

Of course I do. Since I said I consume content across the political spectrum, I assumed you would know that includes all of the major outlets. (When I say across, I am generally not including extremist left/right stuff, and referring more to the major outlets).

And I spend a fairly equal time consuming content from both sides of the spectrum. Would you say the same?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Ok guys, so Kim Jong Un will allegedly not be endorsing Biden in 2020, he will be endorsing Trump.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Of course I do. Since I said I consume content across the political spectrum, I assumed you would know that includes all of the major outlets. (When I say across, I am generally not including extremist left/right stuff, and referring more to the major outlets).

And I spend a fairly equal time consuming content from both sides of the spectrum. Would you say the same?

I typically watch Fox for a few minutes or more each night--until my BS meter pegs right. I typically check out Breitbart and Drudge daily (and their misleading headlines and poorly sourced stories), and have posted articles from at these sites in this thread or elsewhere.

I don't know what to think of this All Sides. Wikipedia has nothing on it, and Googling doesn't seem to help except to say this site relies heavily on public opinion (which has been tainted by the right who loves to play the ref and where some 40% can be convinced a con man is our savior) and also to tell me that it's founder is rated as lean right -- by none other than All Sides.

With some clever Googling (-allsides.com) as the organization's ratings of others overwhelmingly dominates the hits, I found this:

A new venture called "AllSides" tries to meet democracy's need for trustworthy information by using ideological transparency, crowdsourcing and some technical inspiration from Tim Groseclose and Jeff Milyo.

Anything is inspired by the thoroughly debunked Groseclose study, is suspicious.

Last edited by ribeye on Sun May 26, 2019 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I typically watch Fox for a few minutes or more each night--until my BS meter pegs right. I typically check out Breitbart and Drudge daily (and their misleading headlines and poorly sourced stories), and have posted articles from at these sites in this thread or elsewhere.

I don't know what to think of this All Sides. Wikipedia has nothing on it, and Googling doesn't seem to help except to say this site relies heavily on public opinion (which has been tainted by the right who loves to play the ref and where some 40% can be convinced a con man is our savior) and also to tell me that it's founder is rated as lean right -- by none other than All Sides.

Well, if that chart is tainted by the right, I’m surprised the right would put AlJazeera News as center media.

I’m sure we could bicker on a few outlets but it seems generally fair IMO. Like AP and USA Today are clearly less more politically agnostic than CNN don’t you think?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Well, if that chart is tainted by the right, I’m surprised the right would put AlJazeera News as center media.

I’m sure we could bicker on a few outlets but it seems generally fair IMO. Like AP and USA Today are clearly less more politically agnostic than CNN don’t you think?

I don't watch or listen to Al Jazeera so I wouldn't know. I suspect that the news and the investigative reporting, the news gathering techniques, the professionalism of reporters and editors, and the desire for accuracy at the AP or USA Today are very similar to those at CNN.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:

With some clever Googling (-allsides.com) as the organization's ratings of others overwhelmingly dominates the hits, I found this:

A new venture called "AllSides" tries to meet democracy's need for trustworthy information by using ideological transparency, crowdsourcing and some technical inspiration from Tim Groseclose and Jeff Milyo.

Anything is inspired by the thoroughly debunked Groseclose study, is suspicious.

I don’t know anything about Groseclose, but they go into quite a bit of detail about how they quantify bias: https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-rating-methods
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I really hate to call someone a "lost cause". It's offensive. It implies someone is beyond "redemption". I take no pleasure in it. Especially with you. I like some of your Lakers opinions.
But to me. When it comes to politics. I think you are.

Fox News opinion isn't actual news. Neither is brietbart. Or the Washington times. The chart is a false equivalency. I'm willing to provide multiple links on them either straight out lying or misrepresenting evidence. But I think we both know. It wouldn't change your mind.

Trump is the elephant in the room. And it's tough to play the "both sides" card from the right while he is the symbol of 2019 US conservatism.

Trump worked with Russia. Russia used social media to spread disinformation. And now Trump, after the fact, is above the law. So how can I take seriously Trump-supporting alt-right people getting censored by a public company trying to protect their bottom line?

It's like if a group of muggers broke into a house. And 1 of them started hurting people. And now we're upset, after the fact,some of the worst mugger's friends are getting blocked on facebook for defending the assaulter....with lies. And then when that gets boring. They perpetuate LGBTQ+, racist, sexist discrimination and slurs. Sometimes retweets. Most of the time "original content".

This whole thing could be avoided if conservatives didn't elect Trump. This probably wouldn't have happened with McCain or Romney. Trump is stoking the divisiveness. Labeling real news as fake. And even though you didn't vote for him. You're eating it up.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

How has our society become filled with useless shells of humans

Y'all might want to get rid of Republican Rep. Duncan S. Hunter (CA)
Real shame stain

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-congressman-duncan-hunter-admits-he-took-photos-dead-enemies-while-1436520

He absolutely supports pardoning this guy.. tried to sugarcoat his murders too.. totally obscured them with his "I took a photo too" (bleep)

^^^^^This shell of a human, Duncan S. Hunter, is an elected official in the state of California.. Obviously a Republican..

Quote:
According to the Navy’s confidential criminal investigation report, obtained by the Times, Gallagher fatally stabbed a 16-year-old ISIS fighter, posed with the body and then sent the image to a colleague. “Good story behind this, got him with my hunting knife,” he allegedly wrote to the SEAL.

After commanders formally reported the killings to the Navy Criminal Investigation Service last year, Gallagher was arrested in September and charged with over a dozen crimes, including attempted murder and premeditated murder. Gallagher has pleaded not guilty to all the charges levied against him. He faces life in prison if convicted.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

This fits all of our Republicans lately

https://creatingalpha.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/notmyyob.jpg
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
kikanga wrote:

This fits all of our Republicans lately

https://creatingalpha.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/notmyyob.jpg

the victim party
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

Democrats in Congress are getting things done. Trump and Republicans are just ignoring them.
House Democrats are passing bills at a rapid pace, while Trump complains they’re “getting nothing done.”

Quote:
President Donald Trump is angry at House Democrats for “getting nothing done in Congress.” He may want to quarrel with his own party instead.

Trump released a tweet tirade on Thursday morning admonishing Democrats for not making enough progress on infrastructure, health care, and veterans issues. The tweet came after an explosive meeting on infrastructure between Trump and Democrats the day before, which the president walked out of....

....ronically, over the past two weeks, the House has passed bills to address most of the issues Trump mentioned in his tweet. They recently passed a bill to lower prescription drug prices, and another one to protect preexisting conditions. The House also passed nine bills on veterans issues this week alone, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi noted at her weekly press conference. On Thursday, Democrats tried to present Trump their infrastructure plan before he walked out of their meeting.

So if the House is passing all these bills, why does it seem like Congress isn’t getting anything done? Welcome to the reality of divided government in Washington. The vast majority of House Democrats’ agenda has hit a dead end in the Republican-controlled Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has dubbed himself the “grim reaper” of Democratic legislation. Pelosi has blasted the Senate leader for embracing this role, saying he’s working for special interests in Washington, rather than the people of the United States.

“The Senate is the graveyard where bills that pass in the Congress, that have bipartisan support in the country, go to die,” Pelosi said at a recent press conference.

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
How has our society become filled with useless shells of humans

Y'all might want to get rid of Republican Rep. Duncan S. Hunter (CA)
Real shame stain

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-congressman-duncan-hunter-admits-he-took-photos-dead-enemies-while-1436520

He absolutely supports pardoning this guy.. tried to sugarcoat his murders too.. totally obscured them with his "I took a photo too" (bleep)

^^^^^This shell of a human, Duncan S. Hunter, is an elected official in the state of California.. Obviously a Republican..

Quote:
According to the Navy’s confidential criminal investigation report, obtained by the Times, Gallagher fatally stabbed a 16-year-old ISIS fighter, posed with the body and then sent the image to a colleague. “Good story behind this, got him with my hunting knife,” he allegedly wrote to the SEAL.

After commanders formally reported the killings to the Navy Criminal Investigation Service last year, Gallagher was arrested in September and charged with over a dozen crimes, including attempted murder and premeditated murder. Gallagher has pleaded not guilty to all the charges levied against him. He faces life in prison if convicted.

hard to become a hero when you volunteer (after WWII, a different story...a real war) for phony wars trumped up by one political party...impossible to become a hero without humility

for those that think just serving makes you a hero
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I really hate to call someone a "lost cause". It's offensive. It implies someone is beyond "redemption". I take no pleasure in it. Especially with you. I like some of your Lakers opinions.

Fox News opinion isn't actual news. Neither is brietbart. Or the Washington times. The chart is a false equivalency. I'm willing to provide multiple links on them either straight out lying or misrepresenting evidence. But I think we both know. It wouldn't change your mind.

Trump is the elephant in the room. And it's tough to play the "both sides" card from the right while he is the symbol of 2019 US conservatism.

Trump worked with Russia. Russia used social media to spread disinformation. And now Trump, after the fact, is above the law. So how can I take seriously Trump-supporting alt-right people getting censored by a public company trying to protect their bottom line?

It's like if a group of muggers broke into a house. And 1 of them started hurting people. And now we're upset, after the fact,some of the worst mugger's friends are getting blocked on facebook for defending the assaulter....with lies. And then when that gets boring. They perpetuate LGBTQ+, racist, sexist discrimination and slurs. Sometimes retweets. Most of the time "original content".

This whole thing could be avoided if conservatives didn't elect Trump. This probably wouldn't have happened with McCain or Romney. Trump is stoking the divisiveness. Labeling real news as fake. And even though you didn't vote for him. You're eating it up.

Ironically, I think the likelihood of me changing my mind is a lot more likely than you changing yours. Primarily, because I don't have blind loyalty to a tribe. I look at each issue on its own merits, and sometimes how I feel falls in what would be considered conservative and sometimes how I feel falls into the more liberal camp.

My mind on UBI, for instance, has been completely changed after following Andrew Yang.

What have you changed your mind on recently?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC ...trump is "getting things done in Tokyo"

Turn on CNN to see if there is any news:Abe and trump at odds

AM...exactly what is trump getting done in Tokyo? Humiliating our allies? Taking the side of our enemies because they have beachfront property available for golf courses????

that news sounds more conservative than liberal...conservative on truth not liberal on facts
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Ironically, I think the likelihood of me changing my mind is a lot more likely than you changing yours. Primarily, because I don't have blind loyalty to a tribe. I look at each issue on its own merits, and sometimes how I feel falls in what would be considered conservative and sometimes how I feel falls into the more liberal camp.

My mind on UBI, for instance, has been completely changed after following Andrew Yang.

I think he changed his mind on the idea that you were remotely arguing in good faith. He’s a little slow sometimes.

Fwiw, if you want to keep the hook in a bit longer, I’d recommend dropping the lifelong Democrat shtick. If true (I’m really trying to type that with a straight face), it means all the other stuff you say is purely an act to rile people, in which case, what’s the purpose, and why engage you? If it’s not true, it’s clearly fresh bait when you think the target is losing interest, in which case, why continue to engage you?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Off the top of my head: I've changed my mind on Magic Johnson being my favorite Laker, though he still remains my favorite player. I've changed my mind regarding the death penalty several times, though not recently. I've changed my mind about Lindsey Graham from simply disliking to really really strongly disliking. I've changed my mind now twice on impeaching Trump now.

I have NOT changed my mind regarding CNN, the NY Times, or the Washington Post.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think he changed his mind on the idea that you were remotely arguing in good faith. He’s a little slow sometimes.

Fwiw, if you want to keep the hook in a bit longer, I’d recommend dropping the lifelong Democrat shtick. If true (I’m really trying to type that with a straight face), it means all the other stuff you say is purely an act to rile people, in which case, what’s the purpose, and why engage you? If it’s not true, it’s clearly fresh bait when you think the target is losing interest, in which case, why continue to engage you?

It's not a shtick. And I haven't been a lifelong Democrat. In my 20s and early 30s, I was. As I got older, I started finding myself holding opinions in issues that aligned more conservatively.

However, I have always VOTED Democrat and I have never been a registered Republican.

I've only been eligible to vote in 5 elections (2000 - 2016). For the most part, voting for the Democrat was the easy choice for me given the alternative option.

I don't understand the problem -- what exactly did I say in my post that seems like trolling to you?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1552, 1553, 1554 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1553 of 3671
Jump to: