ESPN Article - Lakers 2.0: The failed reboot of the NBA's crown jewel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Adam Silver going on TV and defending Jeannie seems weird. Even weirder was him confirming that Rich Paul story about Walton. Why?

Silver is just doing a bunch of interviews in conjunction with the start of the finals. He's answering all sorts of questions, some of which are related to the Lakers.

Seems pretty easy to "no comment" with a word salad of nothing. Went out of his way to defend Jeannie citing the legacy of the Buss family. I think Jeannie has proven she's bad at this, so to hear the commissioner go out of his way to defend her and say she'll turn it around, when there's nothing to suggest that is true and it's clear she's bad at this, did not inspire confidence.

Silver just gave a standard "she and team will be fine" answer to a softball question. That's what I would expect a commissioner to say. There's no benefit to anyone for him to not comment or dance around the question.

And, really, there isn't anything the commissioner can say to make the situation better. All he can do is make it worse.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Disagree, the organization had a successful, sound and consistent structure up until Dr. Buss couldn’t run it anymore.

Nah. The Lakers have been a soap opera worthy of their Hollywood location for three decades.

Maybe the Dennis Rodman debacle never made news in Ventura.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Disagree, the organization had a successful, sound and consistent structure up until Dr. Buss couldn’t run it anymore.

Nah. The Lakers have been a soap opera worthy of their Hollywood location for three decades.

It's not the same man. Been a fan for 30 years. There was drama but it didn't fester for long periods of time and turn into the chaos we're seeing. Dr. Buss could recognize when a small fire could turn into a massive fire, and he'd put it out early. He was a real leader and communicator.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
activeverb wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Adam Silver going on TV and defending Jeannie seems weird. Even weirder was him confirming that Rich Paul story about Walton. Why?

Silver is just doing a bunch of interviews in conjunction with the start of the finals. He's answering all sorts of questions, some of which are related to the Lakers.

Seems pretty easy to "no comment" with a word salad of nothing. Went out of his way to defend Jeannie citing the legacy of the Buss family. I think Jeannie has proven she's bad at this, so to hear the commissioner go out of his way to defend her and say she'll turn it around, when there's nothing to suggest that is true and it's clear she's bad at this, did not inspire confidence.

Silver just gave a standard "she and team will be fine" answer to a softball question. That's what I would expect a commissioner to say. There's no benefit to anyone for him to not comment or dance around the question.

And, really, there isn't anything the commissioner can say to make the situation better. All he can do is make it worse.

There really isn't anything damaging that was said though. Paul wasn't happy with Luke. That isn't a big deal. But when you put Paul's comment in a hit piece against the Lakers, the context changes. What would just be an agent's passing comment about a coach can be twisted to mean so many other things. And Luke isn't here anymore, so Silver confirming it can't really add any fuel to the fire.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
It's not the same man. Been a fan for 30 years. There was drama but it didn't fester for long periods of time and turn into the chaos we're seeing. Dr. Buss could recognize when a small fire could turn into a massive fire, and he'd put it out early. He was a real leader and communicator.

Exactly. Dr. Buss was one of the best owners ever. His children have nearly destroyed his legacy. The results speak for themselves: one losing season after another, and organizational chaos. Jeannie is a terrible owner.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

The more I've had time to think about all of these things, the more I'm wondering...how much of the media dish have I just chosen to eat and agree with without critically thinking? I'm just playing a little devil's advocate here, especially with myself and my own thinking, but let's consider this...

Now, in no way am I saying things are great. But, let's take a look at the Laker FO narrative that's being sold: They're dysfunctional. No leadership. No idea what they are doing. It's a mess. Stay away. Chernobyl.

The recent article that basically listed from beginning to end all the dysfunction, etc. was basically the "to date historical summary" of the mess we're being fed.

I wont rehash everything we know, but let's take Magic out of the picture and look at what is highlighted as examples of the mess:

1. Pelinka sitting in on player meetings. Ok, maybe not ideal. I dont recall if its listed how many times that happened. But, ok. That alone isnt a reason to sink the ship.

2. Pelinka telling Walton Myers sat in on player meetings. My immediate reaction was - did Like say "yo, I was at GS as a coach, I know what happened"? Article didnt really explore this...but ok, that alone is whatever.

3. Pelinka (along with Magic) going against their scouts wishes as to who to draft? That, honestly, is nothing. That type of stuff happens in FO's across all sports.

4. Pelinka's Heath Ledger story. Ok, now *that* is idiotic. Just dumb. Unless somehow Kobe got some super early screener of some video, it's just a flat out lie that detracts from any "motivation" he intended with the fictional tale. While I think it damages Pelinka's credibility (and would cause me concern as an owner), it doesnt, by itself, turn the FO into a laughing stock that is being presented.

5. The coaching search. I originally bought into the immediate reaction of the way it was handled with Lue was disrespectful. However, looking through a different lens, the Lakers clearly wanted to offer anyone just 3 years and insisted Kidd be an assistant. They needed a match for that. I'm not sure this = dysfunction.

Ok, I *may* be missing something above, but that just about covers everything NON-Magic related (I am not including Magic's complaint about the Walton firing issue - ultimately, Walton left). In other words, take Magic out of the picture, and the dysfunctional arithmetic with story, after story piled up doesnt really fit the narrative that Magic started, and everyone in the press has continued to cultivate.

I would submit the NON-Magic examples of "it's a mess" are pretty much non issues or "meh" in everyday FO operations. The sole exception is Pelinka sticking his foot in his mouth re Ledger, feeding the "he is a liar" narrative about him.

While I would lose no sleep if Pelinka was tossed as the GM and replaced by someone with a little more credibility (and I would almost guarantee the media's all out assault would stop), I am wondering if all of this is just a gigantic misrepresentation and the true culprit of the negative perception is, in the end, Mr. Earvin "Magic" Johnson (e.g. the main reasons for the perception were a result of his decisions and actions, both during his tenor with the Lakers, and now after).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: