Why no drama over MDA but so much drama around Tlue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why no drama over MDA but so much drama around Tlue?

BigBallerBrand wrote:
MDA contract negotiations fell through just like Lue’s....yet media is not framing Morley to be incompetent like they are framing the Lakers as such?

One of these things is not like the other.

That's why.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:
The Rockets situation will not end well, MDA walks when he's not wanted and that seems to be the case. Houston has been close in the past but got spanked this year. Sounds like they're willing to blow it up.

At the end of the day, the Lakers are the better punching bag for ESPN
And most commentators in general.

Making fun of high profile teams gets ratings. ESPN knows their audience.

And the Lakers supply them with plenty of ammunition
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

I'm trying to figure out the need to shorten Ty Lue to Tlue
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:
The Rockets situation will not end well, MDA walks when he's not wanted and that seems to be the case. Houston has been close in the past but got spanked this year. Sounds like they're willing to blow it up.

At the end of the day, the Lakers are the better punching bag for ESPN
And most commentators in general.

Making fun of high profile teams gets ratings. ESPN knows their audience.

And the Lakers supply them with plenty of ammunition

That we do....
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

This is Jeanie-level amounts of cheapness/disrespect:

Quote:
The contract offer made to D’Antoni was considerably smaller than the $5 million that had been depicted by owner Tilman Fertitta and general manager Daryl Morey in a hastily called news conference Thursday, according to D’Antoni’s agent, leading to the decision to turn it down and coach next season in the final year of his current contract, which pays $4.5 million.

Warren LeGarie said that the Rockets’ offer would not be worth $5 million in the 2020-21 season if the Rockets failed to make the playoffs or D’Antoni was fired during the season.

“I’d like clear up some inaccuracies that were stated about the offer made to Mike,” LeGarie said. “The reported $5 million is really $2.5 million because it comes with contingencies. One, it’s only $5 million if he makes the playoffs and two, if he is coaching the team at the end of the year.

“If they decide to fire Mike in the proverbial change of direction he gets $2.5 million. If there is an injury or a change in the roster construction, of which Mike has no control, he nonetheless would become a victim of it.”

Morey confirmed LeGarie’s description of the offer, but otherwise declined to comment about the negotiations.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
The contract offer made to D’Antoni was considerably smaller than the $5 million that had been depicted by owner Tilman Fertitta and general manager Daryl Morey in a hastily called news conference Thursday, according to D’Antoni’s agent, leading to the decision to turn it down and coach next season in the final year of his current contract, which pays $4.5 million.

Warren LeGarie said that the Rockets’ offer would not be worth $5 million in the 2020-21 season if the Rockets failed to make the playoffs or D’Antoni was fired during the season.

“I’d like clear up some inaccuracies that were stated about the offer made to Mike,” LeGarie said. “The reported $5 million is really $2.5 million because it comes with contingencies. One, it’s only $5 million if he makes the playoffs and two, if he is coaching the team at the end of the year.

“If they decide to fire Mike in the proverbial change of direction he gets $2.5 million. If there is an injury or a change in the roster construction, of which Mike has no control, he nonetheless would become a victim of it.”

Morey confirmed LeGarie’s description of the offer, but otherwise declined to comment about the negotiations.

I always find it odd when people relatively view big money.
I think 1M is big money no matter how much money you have. Rich people dont get/stay rich by being careless with it.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

Given Morey's earlier comments about being open to trades and attempts to lowball MDA, it's clear Houston wants to make some big changes, probably being driven by Fertitta. I think Morey's trying to thread the needle between a reset and a full rebuild.

Should be interesting and I doubt it will be drama-free. I'm guessing Houston-based ESPN users are going to see a lot stories about this.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakers related business is public domain. Other teams’ business don’t get past the regional papers. Just the way of the world.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

I think 1M is big money no matter how much money you have. Rich people dont get/stay rich by being careless with it.

We should start a GoFundMe for Tillman. Just to help with the bills and putting dinner on the table. #Pray4Tillman
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

We should start a GoFundMe for Tillman. Just to help with the bills and putting dinner on the table. #Pray4Tillman

Yep. Odd indeed.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
Given Morey's earlier comments about being open to trades and attempts to lowball MDA, it's clear Houston wants to make some big changes, probably being driven by Fertitta. I think Morey's trying to thread the needle between a reset and a full rebuild.

Should be interesting and I doubt it will be drama-free. I'm guessing Houston-based ESPN users are going to see a lot stories about this.

Les Alexander was the previous owner and he was both anti-tanking and against paying luxury tax.

Ferttta appears to be much the same, so Morey is used to working under those conditions.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Offer $160M to CP3 but draw the line at $2.5M w the coach?

Also, why even offer $2.5M when you know he won’t accept and it makes you look cheap.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Also, why even offer $2.5M when you know he won’t accept and it makes you look cheap.

Doesn't that make you think he's not cheap?
And there's something else going on?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Exactly. If D'Antoni isn't your guy anymore they should get to work finding that person. Don't engage in extension talks with a guy who has been an important part of your success and insult him with a low ball, incentive based offer. Or if he just wants to pinch pennies don't be an NBA owner where the idea is to compete.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Well, he let Ariza go to sign CP3.

Anyway you spin it, offering $2.5M is an extremely cheap/lowball offer.

Not going to speculate why. On it’s surface it’s a cheap offer.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Exactly. If D'Antoni isn't your guy anymore they should get to work finding that person. Don't engage in extension talks with a guy who has been an important part of your success and insult him with a low ball, incentive based offer. Or if he just wants to pinch pennies don't be an NBA owner where the idea is to compete.

Can’t believe Magic made 4x what they offered D’Antoni. And Magic didn’t even come to work.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Can’t believe Magic made 4x what they offered D’Antoni. And Magic didn’t even come to work.

Yeah we seem to not have a problem paying people as long as they're the wrong people

The Houston thing is just weird. They took a huge leap forward with D'Antoni and have saddled the team with overpriced guys. So that's where they want to cut costs? And they're going to fire his assistants? Maybe it's time to just let him go.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no drama over MDA but so much drama around Tlue?

BigBallerBrand wrote:
MDA contract negotiations fell through just like Lue’s....yet media is not framing Morley to be incompetent like they are framing the Lakers as such?

The Rockets are not the premier franchise of the NBA and their best player isn't one of the biggest stars in all of sports.

Everything that happens with the Lakers is treated as big news, it's always been that way.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Well, he let Ariza go to sign CP3.

Anyway you spin it, offering $2.5M is an extremely cheap/lowball offer.

Not going to speculate why. On it’s surface it’s a cheap offer.

We'll see.
It seemed like Morey did not want to extend MDA.
And wanting him to quit seemed like the way to go.
I'm wondering if they ever go to a rebuild mode.
Or get rid of money and try to go after AD in 2020?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Yeah we seem to not have a problem paying people as long as they're the wrong people

The Houston thing is just weird. They took a huge leap forward with D'Antoni and have saddled the team with overpriced guys. So that's where they want to cut costs? And they're going to fire his assistants? Maybe it's time to just let him go.

It has nothing to do with being cheap. They'd like MDA to walk away without
them saying as much. Anyway it's a volitile situation there now but you need to read between the lines.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

them saying as much. Anyway it's a volitile situation there now but you need to read between the lines.

You may be right, but I dont think that's how you treat people who have served you well, and if that is the case I hope people remember it.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

MDA is a regular season coach. His team's are garbage in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve more money.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

No cares if it doesn’t involve lakers.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
deal wrote:
ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ocho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

You may be right, but I dont think that's how you treat people who have served you well, and if that is the case I hope people remember it.

Yeah, that explanation doesn’t make sense.

What are they trying to do, force him to quit?

They could actually trade him for assets. D’Antoni is actually a commodity around the league.

They don’t need to treat him this bad.

Any team w/ a young pg should covet D’Antoni. D’Antoni is the pg whisperer.

Look what he did for Nash, Linsanity and Harden.

Atlanta should be trying to acquire D’Antoni. D’Antoni could turn Trae Young into a Nash type player.

Or they could just fire him and hire someone else. There’s no doubt D’Antoni will get picked up by another team and Houston is off the hook for his $4.5M salary this year.

Lots of better options than the route they’ve taken.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
MDA is a regular season coach. His team's are garbage in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve more money.

MDA teams always seem to run into issues and come out on the wrong side of the ledger during the playoffs.

When the Rockets did not renew Bzdelik's contract for next season, it was somewhat expected since they apparently lowballed him last year and let him "retire" until they were persuaded to bring him back.

Now with this MDA offer, it seems the owners are sort of TyLueing him with something so unpalatable and insulting that he decides to walk away. They probably think any decent coach can get this highly paid vet team to the 2nd round.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: