BREAKING NEWS Another mass shooting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: BREAKING NEWS Another mass shooting

Lets not get into gun control. Lets instead discuss mental illness. It's something I think not given the attention needed. We're a society supposedly of knowing. We spend billions on wars, millions on mental health. Priorities???

Mass shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center, shooter in custody — multiple injuries and deaths

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: <b>BREAKING NEWS</b> Another mass shooting

jodeke wrote:
Lets not get into gun control. Lets instead discuss mental illness

Both need discussion. Can’t have a dialogue about mass shootings without discussing the tool used.

Of course we could just resort to “thoughts and prayers”
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: <b>BREAKING NEWS</b> Another mass shooting

jodeke wrote:
Lets not get into gun control. Lets instead discuss mental illness.

Mass shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center, shooter in custody — multiple injuries and deaths

LINK

One thing that's strange about American Policing is: Often when Cops find someone with an unused weapon, they have a tendency to want to shoot em, but if they find someone with a freshly discharged weapon often it ends with "Shooter in Custody". Wonder why that is?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

This is the first thing I think of when I hear people say "America is the great country in the world."

No we're not.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> Another mass shooting

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Lets not get into gun control. Lets instead discuss mental illness

Both need discussion. Can’t have a dialogue about mass shootings without discussing the tool used.

Of course we could just resort to “thoughts and prayers”

I think both have to be addressed. Mississippi Rep Bennie Thompson on MSNBC said mental health has to be discussed. I think what's glossed over is culture. We have to change the way we think as a people. I may be in a minority that think games children play are part of culture building. Violence is glorified. LINK It starts in the home.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A city worker opened fire "indiscriminately" at the municipal center in Virginia Beach Friday afternoon, killing at least 11 people before he was shot dead by police.

The gunman, who was a current employee at the Municipal Center, walked into the building at around 4 p.m. and began to "indiscriminately fire upon all the victims," Cervera said. He had two firearms, one long gun and a handgun, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Responding officers then entered the building and secured as many victims as they could, Cervera said. The suspect engaged the officers, who returned fire, striking and killing him.

11 Victims Dead + Shooter In Custody But Not Alive
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> Another mass shooting

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

One thing that's strange about American Policing is: Often when Cops find someone with an unused weapon, they have a tendency to want to shoot em, but if they find someone with a freshly discharged weapon often it ends with "Shooter in Custody". Wonder why that is?

I don’t refute your premise. But the shooter was shot and killed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Shooter was apparently fired yesterday.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyFoxWAVY

Whether it's an access to guns issue or a mental health issue. Republicans are actively fighting against the solution. Can't blame mental health and prevent people from getting affordable healthcare at the same time. I mean you can. But it's nonsense.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b> Another mass shooting

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

They didn't release that the shooter was killed in the early reporting while things were still "Active Shooter." It was reported that the suspect had been apprehended and was in custody, which I found a bit odd as usually when a gun is within 10 feet of a suspect the tendency is to riddle his body with bullets and then make the obligatory "Officer Safety" comment at the presser.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b> Another mass shooting

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Here I invoke Jake Brigance, Now picture the shooter is Black!

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b></b> Another mass shooting

Aussiesuede wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

They didn't release that the shooter was killed in the early reporting while things were still "Active Shooter." It was reported that the suspect had been apprehended and was in custody, which I found a bit odd as usually when a gun is within 10 feet of a suspect the tendency is to riddle his body with bullets and then make the obligatory "Officer Safety" comment at the presser.

As I said, I didn’t dispute your premise.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: <b>BREAKING NEWS</b> Another mass shooting

jodeke wrote:
Lets not get into gun control. Lets instead discuss mental illness. It's something I think not given the attention needed. We're a society supposedly of knowing. We spend billions on wars, millions on mental health. Priorities???

LINK

How can we not talk about it though? Gun control may not solve mental issues, but it'll make it a lot harder for them to access it and go on shooting sprees like these. Please don't say cars and knives can also be used as mass killing weapons. We all know that, but with guns it's just makes it that much easier for them to mindlessly pull the trigger. When is it going to stop? Seriously, this is ridiculous all these mass shootings.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

The truth is still the truth

Guns don't kill people
People kill people

Guns are a horrible issue especially in a Mentally Deranged World like ours

It takes serious mental illness within a human to desire to harm another living creature unnecessarily. We send children off to kill people in other countries and don't care about the hell our politicians put them through. The men and women believed they were protecting their citizens as they too would do for them... then we dump them in the streets and say thanks.. "thoughts and prayers"

They are taught by their training to
Be tough
Don't cry
Don't tell people you are depressed etc

When is the right time? When you are in front of a judge asking for leniency?

Jodeke is right imho and just like Aussie.. i used to trip on another level

Jeffrey Dahmer
No gun
Ted Bundy
No gun

^^(bleep) freaks ..

I just wish there was some way to get people to look each other in the eye more often.. and compassionately ask if they can help but we are too busy creating lives that make us too busy to care about others.. thinking we are disconnected from them until their pain spills into our laps..

I was born in Eugene, Oregon.. Rural.. bumpkin
My first business trip to Los Angeles .. I was shook at the amount of bars on windows and bullet proof this and that everywhere

Gangs taking over neighborhoods and cities
Why?
It isn't the gangs fault they have no family except for each other
It isn't the gangs fault their schools are underfunded and the cops shoot and kill their fathers and brothers in front of them for nothing.. no good reason.

Who was the kid in Florida
Nikolas Cruz
^Years and years and years and years of mental problems
Decides to kill people to get the attention he needed

Did our society fail the child who grew into the monster or is it all the child's fault he became a monster
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> Another mass shooting

GoldenChild wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

How can we not talk about it though? Gun control may not solve mental issues, but it'll make it a lot harder for them to access it and go on shooting sprees like these. Please don't say cars and knives can also be used as mass killing weapons. We all know that, but with guns it's just makes it that much easier for them to mindlessly pull the trigger. When is it going to stop? Seriously, this is ridiculous all these mass shootings.

Both issues are entwined. My reason for not talking about gun control is selfish. Intention was to focus on one issue. Mental wellness is not given enough attention.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b> Another mass shooting

jodeke wrote:
GoldenChild wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Both issues are entwined. My reason for not talking about gun control is selfish. Intention was to focus on one issue. Mental wellness is not given enough attention.

A Mentally/Psychologically well person is rarely the shooter Henceforth showing the trigger of a gun used in mass shootings is squeezed by a mentally ill person.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> Another mass shooting

GoldenChild wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Yep, it's a conversation that can't move forward without covering both aspects.

Look, when a toddler grabs a permanent marker and destroys your coffee table, what's the first thing you do?

Yep, you get the marker out of the child's hand and put it away where they can't get it again. Then you move on to addressing the behavior.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b> Another mass shooting

DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenChild wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Yep, it's a conversation that can't move forward without covering both aspects.

Look, when a toddler grabs a permanent marker and destroys your coffee table, what's the first thing you do?

Yep, you get the marker out of the child's hand and put it away where they can't get it again. Then you move on to addressing the behavior.

My bad! I'm just so sick of gun control conversations. One good thing I've heard lately is the NRA is catching hell.

Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

As far as mental illness, I blame work. Work takes up so much of our lives. Keeps us away from our families. We have gotten used to judging people by their job, how much money they make. To quote a famous book: "you are not your job."

Sometimes you meet great people and form good relationships but think also how easy it is for people to grow apart from their husband/wife and get emotionally attached to someone they spend 8 hours a day with.

I really wish there were more ways to work from home. New jobs like this would be great for commute, pollution, stress, family time, etc.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b></b> Another mass shooting

jodeke wrote:
My bad! I'm just so sick of gun control conversations. One good thing I've heard lately is the NRA is catching hell.

That's understandable. They frequently get bogged down with pointless rhetoric and evasive hyperbole.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> Another mass shooting

GoldenChild wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

how? I read the guy used two .45 caliber pistols with stock magazines, one legally purchased in 2016 and the other in 2018. The only "gun control" to stop this situation would have been to ban the purchase of firearms.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b></b></b> Another mass shooting

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's understandable. They frequently get bogged down with pointless rhetoric and evasive hyperbole.

And strawman arguments.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b><b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b></b></b></b> Another mass shooting

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

And strawman arguments.

Those too. Thank you.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: <b>BREAKING NEWS</b> Another mass shooting

jodeke wrote:

LINK

Its harder to do mass murder with a knife. There's just too many guns readily available in the US. Unfortunately that won't change, so we just have to get used to mass shootings. After a while, school shootings with children dying will be the norm.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> Another mass shooting

Fallout wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Its harder to do mass murder with a knife. There's just too many guns readily available in the US. Unfortunately that won't change, so we just have to get used to mass shootings. After a while, school shootings with children dying will be the norm.

I think you can accomplish it with flying ninja stars
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: <b><b><b><b><b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b></b></b></b></b> Another mass shooting

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

And strawman arguments.

Those too. Thank you.

What am I missing? Either you take the position that a legal citizen with no criminal history or mental health issues should not be able to buy a handgun, or the statements put forth in this thread are pointless rhetoric, evasive hyperbole and strawman arguments.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: