Why no drama over MDA but so much drama around Tlue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Dang, D'Antoni already has a mediocre contract.

Thing is, he has gotten the most out of Harden and I doubt anyone else is going to take him further than Mike has.

They are busting up that team, no point in paying that much money to have the 5th best team in the NBA. Too bad for Mike, but he is the head of a sinking ship. In order to grow and try again, they got to bust that team up. Harden may want to go play somewhere else but the problem with him is he is a 1 way player. He is not going to go somewhere and be a piece that helps someone win a championship. He needs to be the #1 option and when he is, the best his team is going to be is like #3 in the league. He is a very good player but he's not as good as a number of other guys I can think of. If he was offered to the Lakers to play with Lebron, I would say no way. Not interested.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
This is Jeanie-level amounts of cheapness/disrespect:

Quote:
The contract offer made to D’Antoni was considerably smaller than the $5 million that had been depicted by owner Tilman Fertitta and general manager Daryl Morey in a hastily called news conference Thursday, according to D’Antoni’s agent, leading to the decision to turn it down and coach next season in the final year of his current contract, which pays $4.5 million.

Warren LeGarie said that the Rockets’ offer would not be worth $5 million in the 2020-21 season if the Rockets failed to make the playoffs or D’Antoni was fired during the season.

“I’d like clear up some inaccuracies that were stated about the offer made to Mike,” LeGarie said. “The reported $5 million is really $2.5 million because it comes with contingencies. One, it’s only $5 million if he makes the playoffs and two, if he is coaching the team at the end of the year.

“If they decide to fire Mike in the proverbial change of direction he gets $2.5 million. If there is an injury or a change in the roster construction, of which Mike has no control, he nonetheless would become a victim of it.”

Morey confirmed LeGarie’s description of the offer, but otherwise declined to comment about the negotiations.

Not cheap. If he makes the playoffs he still gets 5M. No way he should miss the playoffs with Harden.

Not wanting to go more years is arguably disrespectful.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Thing is, he has gotten the most out of Harden and I doubt anyone else is going to take him further than Mike has.

Harden finished 2nd in MVP voting (and arguably should’ve won) and lost to GS in the WCFs under McHale.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
MDA is a regular season coach. His team's are garbage in the playoffs.

Been saying this for years. I'm not sure the best player in the league (Kawhi) could carry MDA to a championship. The uniqueness of MDAs system is perfect for catching teams off guard and winning regular season games. But come playoff time, he's exposed as a 1 trick pony.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
MDA is a regular season coach. His team's are garbage in the playoffs.

Been saying this for years. I'm not sure the best player in the league (Kawhi) could carry MDA to a championship. The uniqueness of MDAs system is perfect for catching teams off guard and winning regular season games. But come playoff time, he's exposed as a 1 trick pony.

Without the Houston defensive assistant, the team was in shambles last year. I don't fault the Rockets for having pause with investing in D'Antoni. However he has done a very good job in Houston. I don't think you can honestly say that many other coaches would have positioned Houston better than D'Antoni did. They just couldn't get over the hump. There's countless teams like that in the history of basketball. Contenders unable to win a ring. Have 2,3, 4 great years. No rings. I'd say 25 other teams in the league would want what Houston had these last few years. When you look back at MDA's career, his failures were NY and LA. I think PHX and Houston should be viewed as compliments to his coaching and how in fact he is a very good coach in the right situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject:

Different situation.

Lakers are running their FO terribly and incompetently and deserve the criticism they get.

Houston has consistently been in a better position than we have the past few seasons, and the Lakers wrecked the progress they made from the talent they got from stealth tanking and are now scrambling to become a Finals contender before LeBron says deuces in 2 more seasons, but more problems about their FO are surfacing making them even less of a desired destination. Lue turned them down when they tried to be cheap.

D'Antoni is still with Houston for another season unless he decides he doesn't want to be and the situation between him and Houston and the Lakers and Ty Lue are different.

also would take MDA back as head coach in a second, if we can get a solid defensive assistant.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:
The contract offer made to D’Antoni was considerably smaller than the $5 million that had been depicted by owner Tilman Fertitta and general manager Daryl Morey in a hastily called news conference Thursday, according to D’Antoni’s agent, leading to the decision to turn it down and coach next season in the final year of his current contract, which pays $4.5 million.

Warren LeGarie said that the Rockets’ offer would not be worth $5 million in the 2020-21 season if the Rockets failed to make the playoffs or D’Antoni was fired during the season.

“I’d like clear up some inaccuracies that were stated about the offer made to Mike,” LeGarie said. “The reported $5 million is really $2.5 million because it comes with contingencies. One, it’s only $5 million if he makes the playoffs and two, if he is coaching the team at the end of the year.

“If they decide to fire Mike in the proverbial change of direction he gets $2.5 million. If there is an injury or a change in the roster construction, of which Mike has no control, he nonetheless would become a victim of it.”

Morey confirmed LeGarie’s description of the offer, but otherwise declined to comment about the negotiations.

Not cheap. If he makes the playoffs he still gets 5M. No way he should miss the playoffs with Harden.

So if Harden gets injured D'Antoni should lose half of his salary?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

It's one way of making sure he controls the minutes and doesn't overplay his players (Kobe) as he's known to do just to get a win in the regular season.
They're making him an offer that he can't accept so he can walk away without needing to fire him. Quite simple.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Add a clause tying it to how many games Harden plays. There is no way this team should miss the playoffs.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

I dunno man. The guy has been a proven winner everywhere he's gone (sans LA where they gave him no players) and if it weren't for the Spurs and the Warriors then he'd have his championship(s).

I don't blame him for walking away from the table. He'll get a better offer next offseason no matter what the Rockets do next season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

1) If there's no way he's going to miss the playoffs (outside of injuries), then why put that clause in there? What is it you're trying to protect yourself from?

2) If no other coach in the NBA has this clause, why make D'Antoni be the first to accept it?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1) If there's no way he's going to miss the playoffs (outside of injuries), then why put that clause in there? What is it you're trying to protect yourself from?

Because it’s performance based. The flip side gives him $1M per playoff round won. He can get as much as $9M.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
2) If no other coach in the NBA has this clause, why make D'Antoni be the first to accept it?

He may make that offer to every coach he tries to get.

I can’t call an offer cheap when odds are you will get 5M and you get an extra 1M per round.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Because it’s performance based. The flip side gives him $1M per playoff round won. He can get as much as $9M.

LongBeachPoly wrote:

I can’t call an offer cheap when odds are you will get 5M and you get an extra 1M per round.

Hate to say it.
But I agree with the Rox fan
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Being performance based doesn't explain why you would have a salary floor of $2.5M. It doesn't explain exactly what it is you're protecting yourself from.

Basically, you're saying having Harden is close to 100% chance of making the playoffs. So what is Houston trying to protect themselves from? The 1% chance that they don't make the playoffs, they'd like to save $2.5M?

$2.5M might be the lowest salary floor in the NBA.

Dreamshake wrote:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Yeah, he may make that offer to every coach he tries to get. But, isn't the goal to get a better coach than D'Antoni?

Can you get a better coach than D'Antoni at these prices?

If you can't get a coach the caliber of D'Antoni to accept this type of offer, then weren't you cheap relative to the going rate for coaches?
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

I dunno man. The guy has been a proven winner everywhere he's gone (sans LA where they gave him no players) and if it weren't for the Spurs and the Warriors then he'd have his championship(s).

I don't blame him for walking away from the table. He'll get a better offer next offseason no matter what the Rockets do next season.

It's funny that you find MDA a "proven winner". I'm sure at least he agrees with that assessment of his coaching abilities.
But how many championships has he won?
And he's had teams with an abundance of talent, including LA, where he had Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and Dwight Howard.
I know when he came to the Lakers, he said he was coming to help us win a championship, which I found funny, considering how many championships he'd failed to win, and how many Kobe had actually won.
But I'm sure if the Rockets let him go, he'll find another sucker. I just hope it's not the Lakers (again).
And the difference between MDA and Ty Lue is that Lue has actually won a championship as a coach.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why no drama over MDA but so much drama around Tlue?

BigBallerBrand wrote:
MDA contract negotiations fell through just like Lue’s....yet media is not framing Morley to be incompetent like they are framing the Lakers as such?

You really need to ask this? It's like two entirely different movies. One movie has so many plots, subplots, twist and turns, and the other movie is the Rockets.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Houston is playing their cards correctly when it comes to MDA. MDA is stubborn, fails to make adjustments come playoffs, and preaches very little defense. He has helped broaden Harden's offensive arsenal, and gets role players like Gordon and Tucker to outperform their capabilities, at least on offense. So I'm sure Morey sees some some positives in D'Antoni's coaching style. But he's still stubborn like a mf, and Houston is doing the correct thing by playing hard ball in order to get him to make the necessary concessions needed to win (i.e. hire a top defensive assistants, etc). Time to put up or shut up Mike.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

It's funny that you find MDA a "proven winner". I'm sure at least he agrees with that assessment of his coaching abilities.
And he's had teams with an abundance of talent, including LA, where he had Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and Dwight Howard.
I know when he came to the Lakers, he said he was coming to help us win a championship, which I found funny, considering how many championships he'd failed to win, and how many Kobe had actually won.
But I'm sure if the Rockets let him go, he'll find another sucker. I just hope it's not the Lakers (again).
And the difference between MDA and Ty Lue is that Lue has actually won a championship as a coach.

Going by championship requirement and your assessment, the NBA is full of losers as coaches. Winners have guys like Magic, Bird, Isiah Thomas, MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, Curry, Durant on their teams. LOL! Those are the common denominators going back 30 yrs. You can easily name the teams that won without them because there were so few.

2004 Pistons
2011 Mavs

MDA gets trashed more than other coach in this league for not being able to win with secondary stars. Was Steve Nash suppose to be back to back MVP going into his 30's? Who saw that coming? But because he created something amazing in Phoenix, he is then a "loser" for not winning it all with the likes of Nash and Amare. Where would Jeremy Lin be without MDA? Did NBA teams or Laker fans ever feel threatened by Harden/Dwight Howard and the awesome coaching of Kevin Mchale? MDA comes and Harden explodes with Steve Nash like assists numbers, wins 60 plus games with journeymen like Booker, and now he's a loser for not being able to beat the juggernaut up North.

The fact is the NBA has had plenty of great coaches, but not all of them get to have the surefire hall of famers on their teams. Not just hall famers, but guys that you can make an argument for to be put on all time 12 man roster.
And when he was in LA, we were constantly injured, and he didn't get 2005 versions of Nash or Kobe either. Although Kobe was still going strong, he was mid-30's and Nash was knocking 40. LOL! MDA falls into the same category with guys like Rick Adelman, George Karl, Jerry Sloan, etc. I can name you the stars they coached, but one thing they all have in common is that they didn't have the BEST of the BEST. Maybe if MJ stayed retired, then George Karl gets his chip with Kemp and the Glove, maybe Mailman and Stockton would get those rings in 97/98. Maybe if West didn't get Shaq to LA, then the Kings get their chip, or Adelman's early 2000 Blazers get theirs.

I think James Harden sucks. He's an inefficient chucker, and people will throw advance stats at me, but I just go with my eyeball and regular FG%. You cannot win with Harden. It's amazing what he's been able to do with Harden. But once you get this close, people then think they're suppose to win. No, they're not suppose to, no matter who is coach. They've overachieved. Applaud the man for that.

MDA hate.. can't you tell it's my pet-peeve? LOL!
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Being performance based doesn't explain why you would have a salary floor of $2.5M. It doesn't explain exactly what it is you're protecting yourself from.

Because it’s performance based. If you can’t make the playoffs with this team you don’t deserve 5M. Sure, I can give you a floor if I’m giving you a potential high of $9M. Perform and you will be paid. He gets a great salary for a performance that he should hit.

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Yes, I think you can get a better coach with a contract that can pay as much as $9M, where the heavy odds are you will get $5M.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
If you can't get a coach the caliber of D'Antoni to accept this type of offer, then weren't you cheap relative to the going rate for coaches?

I can’t call someone cheap when the heavy odds are that they will pay at least 5M and could pay as much as 9M. It’s not likely that they will only get to pay the 2.5M.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Because it’s performance based. If you can’t make the playoffs with this team you don’t deserve 5M. Sure, I can give you a floor if I’m giving you a potential high of $9M. Perform and you will be paid. He gets a great salary for a performance that he should hit.

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Yes, I think you can get a better coach with a contract that can pay as much as $9M, where the heavy odds are you will get $5M.

LongBeachPoly wrote:

I can’t call someone cheap when the heavy odds are that they will pay at least 5M and could pay as much as 9M. It’s not likely that they will only get to pay the 2.5M.

Yeah, we'll see.

Seems like alot of mental gymnastics.

You still haven't explained why the need for a $2.5M floor. You keep saying, because it's performance based.

What does that mean?

I'm asking, why the need for a $2.5M floor?

Would you agree that there exist such a floor that would make the offer cheap?

For instance, let's say the floor was $1M, or $500k. Wouldn't there exist some hypothetical floor that would make the offer cheap?

Or are you saying any floor is ok since there's a potential to make lots more?

Quote:
If you can’t make the playoffs with this team you don’t deserve 5M.

what about injuries? Any coach in the league have such floors?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

Going by championship requirement and your assessment, the NBA is full of losers as coaches. Winners have guys like Magic, Bird, Isiah Thomas, MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, Curry, Durant on their teams. LOL! Those are the common denominators going back 30 yrs. You can easily name the teams that won without them because there were so few.

2004 Pistons
2011 Mavs

MDA gets trashed more than other coach in this league for not being able to win with secondary stars. Was Steve Nash suppose to be back to back MVP going into his 30's? Who saw that coming? But because he created something amazing in Phoenix, he is then a "loser" for not winning it all with the likes of Nash and Amare. Where would Jeremy Lin be without MDA? Did NBA teams or Laker fans ever feel threatened by Harden/Dwight Howard and the awesome coaching of Kevin Mchale? MDA comes and Harden explodes with Steve Nash like assists numbers, wins 60 plus games with journeymen like Booker, and now he's a loser for not being able to beat the juggernaut up North.

The fact is the NBA has had plenty of great coaches, but not all of them get to have the surefire hall of famers on their teams. Not just hall famers, but guys that you can make an argument for to be put on all time 12 man roster.
And when he was in LA, we were constantly injured, and he didn't get 2005 versions of Nash or Kobe either. Although Kobe was still going strong, he was mid-30's and Nash was knocking 40. LOL! MDA falls into the same category with guys like Rick Adelman, George Karl, Jerry Sloan, etc. I can name you the stars they coached, but one thing they all have in common is that they didn't have the BEST of the BEST. Maybe if MJ stayed retired, then George Karl gets his chip with Kemp and the Glove, maybe Mailman and Stockton would get those rings in 97/98. Maybe if West didn't get Shaq to LA, then the Kings get their chip, or Adelman's early 2000 Blazers get theirs.

I think James Harden sucks. He's an inefficient chucker, and people will throw advance stats at me, but I just go with my eyeball and regular FG%. You cannot win with Harden. It's amazing what he's been able to do with Harden. But once you get this close, people then think they're suppose to win. No, they're not suppose to, no matter who is coach. They've overachieved. Applaud the man for that.

MDA hate.. can't you tell it's my pet-peeve? LOL!

Basically you're saying coaches don't matter unless you have the best of the best.

Which comes first though?

Does winning make you the best of the best, or does being the best of the best make you a winner?

Kobe and Shaq couldn't win anything before Phil Jackson arrived. Going into 1999-00, we weren't title favorites. Portland was. They just acquired Scottie Pippen. They were the greatest team money can buy.

Shaq wasn't considered a champion at that point in his career. Neither was Kobe.

They win, and now they are all time greats.

When Mark Jackson was fired and they hired Steve Kerr, none of the GS players were considered all time greats. That year, SA just signed Aldridge and SA were the defending champions. The prediction was SA repeats that year.

No one predicted GS would win. No one.

Then, GS has a great year, Draymond comes out of nowhere, Curry gets MVP, and now, the narrative is Kerr had the horses that D'Antoni never had. If GS kept Mark Jackson, do they win the title that year? Do they reinvent their offense? Do they start Draymond Green? If Mark Jackson doesn't win the title with that GS team, what's the narrative? Mark Jackson didn't have the best of the best right?

So, which comes first?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

It is cheap. If MDA failed to make the playoffs, where would he stand in terms of pay relative to other coaches who also don’t make the playoffs?

I would guess dead last.

They should at least protect him against a Harden injury and a firing.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
You still haven't explained why the need for a $2.5M floor. You keep saying, because it's performance based.

I explained it multiple times.

1) This team should not miss the playoffs. If so then you arguably didn’t perform up to expectations. FYI, the owners expectation is title contention, not playoffs.

2) It has a high of 9M. Regarding you for performance is consistent on both sides. The playoffs is the bare minimum acceptance to the owner.

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Would you agree that there exist such a floor that would make the offer cheap?

No, because the heavy odds are that the team will make the playoffs and the contract can pay as much as 9M. You just have to get your team to perform.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Or are you saying any floor is ok since there's a potential to make lots more?

I’m saying a floor that you shouldn’t hit is ok when the odds lean heavily towards you making a higher amount (5M) and you have the potential to almost double your salary. The odds are higher of the Rockets making the conf finals than missing the playoffs.

LongBeachPoly wrote:

what about injuries? Any coach in the league have such floors?

What about them? Does Pop constantly make the playoffs despite injuries (they lost Kawhi last year). The Clippers traded their best players and still made the playoffs. The Rockets lost players 2-4 for significant pieces of the season and still made the playoffs. Before Mike D the Rockets lost Howard and Beverly for half the season and still got a high seed. You shouldn’t miss the playoffs.

I don’t know the clauses in others contracts. But that’s a tangent. Heavy odds are you will make between 5-9M. That’s not cheap.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
It is cheap. If MDA failed to make the playoffs, where would he stand in terms of pay relative to other coaches who also don’t make the playoffs?

He shouldn’t fail to make the playoffs on a team that is expected to contend for a title.

ringfinger wrote:
They should at least protect him against a Harden injury and a firing.

I would agree if:

1) Harden were injury prone or had ever missed the playoffs in Houston.

2) The potential weren’t there to make more than 5M via stipulations that have better odds than missing the playoffs
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

1) If Harden sucks then what does that say for the rest of the league, considering Harden has given GS the biggest challenge the past 3 seasons?

2) How have they overachieved when pre Mike D the Rockets were still in the WCFs losing to GS, Harden was still a MVP contender (#2 finish) and this is prior to adding CP3?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: