Best 1 v 1 player
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Best 1 v 1 player

Who you got?

1 on 1 to 11, 1's and 2's. Winner takes out from half-court.

You got a big man like Shaq, Wilt or Kareem who will have the size advantage but trouble with handles and acceleration?

You got a small fast guy like AI or Curry?

Or someone in between like MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Magic, KD?

A million dollars on the line, who you pickin?
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how anyone beats a prime Kobe, and I suspect that's the answer you'll get from most here (outside of a few old-school MJ loyalists).
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

should've gone with "KOBE" for the thread title
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject:

any of the elite big men like wilt or kareem would easily beat kobe and mj.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject:

Kobe
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject:

K-O-B-E
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I wouldnt bet against Durant in a 1v1 situation against Kobe or MJ
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I have a hard time with Kobe/MJ because one miss and Wilt or Kareem can get the rebound and possibly run the table from there. How do they stop a guy that much bigger than them?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I have a hard time with Kobe/MJ because one miss and Wilt or Kareem can get the rebound and possibly run the table from there. How do they stop a guy that much bigger than them?

Can Shaq / Wilt / Kareem consistently get from half court to the paint against Kobe/MJ without losing the ball? I don't know the answer. I'm thinking Wilt probably could, Shaq probably could not.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi is getting there...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Can Shaq / Wilt / Kareem consistently get from half court to the paint against Kobe/MJ without losing the ball? I don't know the answer. I'm thinking Wilt probably could, Shaq probably could not.

in a 1v1 situation they could back them down from the half court line.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

in a 1v1 situation they could back them down from the half court line.

Yeah, that's what I my thought process was - no 5 second rule. Only "standard" pickup game rules (fouls, traveling, out of bounds, goaltending).
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

KOBE
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Durant. He's freakishly long and skilled. But since I'm a laker fan of I'll go with prime Kobe.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Easily MJ. Best one on one player of all time. Kobe is also a great 1 on 1 player but he can be baited into taking stupid shots.
BigGameYimmy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I would go with Jordan, then Kobe, and KD but don't sleep on Hakeem...he could guard anyone and good luck guarding him in the post.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't bet against anyone who is among the all time greats.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Easily MJ. Best one on one player of all time. Kobe is also a great 1 on 1 player but he can be baited into taking stupid shots.

mj admitted that rookie kobe would beat him 1on1
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
george w kush wrote:

'

You have your facts a little wrong.

When a young Kobe met MJ for the first time, Kobe said to him, "I could kick your ass one on one."

Years later, MJ was giving an interview and was asked who could beat him one on one. He said: ""I don't think I would lose. Other than to Kobe Bryant because he steals all of my moves." He said nothing about Kobe as a rookie.

Some people took this comment, which was given with a little smile, as MJ actually making a dig at Kobe.

That said, it's obvious Kobe and MJ had great respect for each other. And my guess is, given the great ego each of them have, that both MJ and Kobe really think they'd beat anyone one-on-one.

Anyway, I am spitting into the wind on this one.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
george w kush wrote:

'

When a young Kobe met MJ for the first time, Kobe said to him, "I could kick your ass one on one."

Years later, MJ was giving an interview and was asked who could beat him one on one. He said: ""I don't think I would lose. Other than to Kobe Bryant because he steals all of my moves." He said nothing about Kobe as a rookie.

Some people took this comment, which was given with a little smile, as MJ actually making a dig at Kobe.

That said, it's obvious Kobe and MJ had great respect for each other. And my guess is, given the great ego each of them have, that both MJ and Kobe really think they'd beat anyone one-on-one.

u just dont like kobe. you are getting this whole thing all wrong. btw everyone here knows you dont like kobe.

anyway...
the young kobe mj story...you forgot the best part, where mj tells phil afterwards " he probably can"

also mj never admits, even jokingly, anyone else can beat him. kobe has said to mj later as older men he can beat him. mj has a unique respect for kobe he doesnt have for ANYONE else, including magic. stop trying to act like kobe isnt the greatest sg even over mj and mj has no problem with that.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
I don't see how anyone beats a prime Kobe, and I suspect that's the answer you'll get from most here (outside of a few old-school MJ loyalists).

this is the most accurate answer ive ever seen here on lg.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
george w kush wrote:

'

u just dont like kobe. you are getting this whole thing all wrong. btw everyone here knows you dont like kobe.

anyway...
the young kobe mj story...you forgot the best part, where mj tells phil afterwards " he probably can"

also mj never admits, even jokingly, anyone else can beat him. kobe has said to mj later as older men he can beat him. mj has a unique respect for kobe he doesnt have for ANYONE else, including magic. stop trying to act like kobe isnt the greatest sg even over mj and mj has no problem with that.

I've never liked one-on-one basketball. I don't care who would win theoretical one-on-one matchups. And I have no opinion on how the all-time greats would fare against each other one-on-one.

Kobe. MJ. Hakeem. Durant. I am equally indifferent to any choice.

I was merely commenting on what I considered misstated and over-stated facts, which tends to irk me on any topic, basketball or otherwise.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Kobe vs KD would be the closest. Then I'd add Mcgrady next. Then like 2013+14 Bron. Then Kawhi. Kawhi's moves in a straight up 1v1 game are very predictable.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

Among mid-sized wing players and with today's rules, I'd take Kawhi over anyone else: for his length, strength, versatility and hops. I think he'd defeat prime-era MJ, Kobe, LeBron more often than they'd defeat him but there would be a lt of give and take with any of these four playing one another.

Smaller guards could not complete except in maybe one in ten tries with any of the wings I named.

Taller players with rare exception (perhaps Garnett or Wilt in either man's prime) would be an interesting match to any of the wings I named, but I'd sure like to see a Garnett-Kawhi more than any other single match-up.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
george w kush wrote:

'

anyway...

I think you should take some of your own advice and stop attacking other people while you post utter nonsense (specifically that MJ and almost anyone besides Laker fans think Kobe is the best SG in history, regardless of who could beat whom at what given time)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: