2019 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD-RAPTORS 2019 CHAMPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 403, 404, 405 ... 445, 446, 447  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If GSW comes back and wins the championship, imo that would be just another dagger in KD's soul because I feel like it would invalidate his 2 rings in the minds of many.

Maybe no one in the media will talk about it for a while just because they don't want to come off as classless so soon after his injury, but once the bad feelings about it wear off I feel like many people will want to permanently put an asterisk next to KD's 2 rings.

I just don't see GS beating them without KD. Role players always look better at home and that's why I think TO is going to close this out in game 6. Guys like Siakam, Danny Green, M. Gasol, Ibaka will play better. As hot as GS was, this was still a tight game. So this asterisk narrative will be a moot point imo.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:
If GSW comes back and wins the championship, imo that would be just another dagger in KD's soul because I feel like it would invalidate his 2 rings in the minds of many.

Maybe no one in the media will talk about it for a while just because they don't want to come off as classless so soon after his injury, but once the bad feelings about it wear off I feel like many people will want to permanently put an asterisk next to KD's 2 rings.

I just don't see GS beating them without KD. Role players always look better at home and that's why I think TO is going to close this out in game 6. Guys like Siakam, Danny Green, M. Gasol, Ibaka will play better. As hot as GS was, this was still a tight game. So this asterisk narrative will be a moot point imo.

Game 6 is at Oracle though, and Game 7s typically have less of a homecourt advantage, especially considering the Raptors are new to this whereas the Warriors are not.
poppajons
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Game 6 is at Oracle though, and Game 7s typically have less of a homecourt advantage, especially considering the Raptors are new to this whereas the Warriors are not.

Homecourt hasn't mattered in this series. Toronto lost 2 at home and GS lost 2 at home.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

poppajons wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Homecourt hasn't mattered in this series. Toronto lost 2 at home and GS lost 2 at home.

I'm not saying homecourt matters, just that Game 6 is in Oakland and not Toronto, and that Game 7's usually don't give much if any homecourt advantage (which jives with what you're saying).
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

I see this series playing out either one of two ways:

1. GS is so undermanned without KD and maybe now Looney that they just don't have the talent to come back, and they also don't have enough mojo left in the tank, partly because some of their bench guys are having to play more minutes than they're used to and having to handle more responsibilities than they're used to, which means they'll lose the series

2. If Toronto's belief and resilience was never strong enough to begin with, choking in Game 5 will cut into their confidence enough where they'll get out of character and give GS just enough of an edge to come back and win the series

Right now it seems like there's pretty much an equal chance of either happening.

This might be the weirdest NBA championship series I've ever seen in my lifetime.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Is the Kawhi takeover in the final 5 minutes one of the best finals stretches we've ever seen though? Before the timeout he nearly singlehandedly won them that game and title.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Is the Kawhi takeover in the final 5 minutes one of the best finals stretches we've ever seen though? Before the timeout he nearly singlehandedly won them that game and title.

I remember Kobe was a one man show in 2008 during the middle finals trip to boston and LeBron last yr game 1 finals was something else too but none was more dominant in Finals than Shaq's repeat
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

If the Dubs pull this one out it'll be talked about as a truly great accomplishment. The Raptors are the stronger squad right now. GS is shorthanded and injured. If they bring home the trophy there will no longer be who is the best back court of all times, it will be proven to be Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Kind of hard to say that considering they lost and he was shut down after the TO at three mintues left.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

poppajons wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
poppajons wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
Will the dubs become the 2nd team in nba finals history to win after trailing 1-3?

I highly doubt it. The Warriors were clearly outmatched in every game without Durant and I don't see that changing moving forward.

They were outmatched in a game that they won? That’s a good one.

You can win a game if you're outmatched. Raptors blew a 6 point lead with 2.5 minutes to play. Kawhi played an overall average/bad game except that 10 pt stretch. Lowry made mistake after mistake down the stretch.

Raptors role players didn't play well at all.

Raptors have won what...14/15 quarters out of the 20 they've played? Yes, Warriors are outmatched without Durant.

The Warriors were outscored after Durant left the game even with the choke at the end. Raptors missed a ton of makeable threes and the Warriors were on fire. Otherwise they get buried in that game.

Not sure what game (or series) venturalakersfan has been watching.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Toronto is celebrating today without KD's minutes last night. If GS wins the chip it is because KD saved their ass in game 5.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
poppajons wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
Will the dubs become the 2nd team in nba finals history to win after trailing 1-3?

I highly doubt it. The Warriors were clearly outmatched in every game without Durant and I don't see that changing moving forward.

You don’t think the Clippers were outmatched when they played the Warriors because they won a couple of games? That’s a good one.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Toronto is celebrating today without KD's minutes last night. If GS wins the chip it is because KD saved their ass in game 5.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Toronto's uncharacteristic free throw misses.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

i want the GS dynasty to end, but i just can't stand the Raptor fans. don't really care which side wins.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i want the GS dynasty to end, but i just can't stand the Raptor fans. don't really care which side wins.

What benefits the Lakers more? That's how I look at these things. A loss by Golden State here ensures that they never threepeat. There will be handwringing and recriminations in GS. All good from my point of view. Also IMHO Kawhi doesn't care about staying in Canada. He still leaves and maybe comes to the Lakers. Also good.

The biggest downside of a Raptors win is obnoxious Canadians. But we can handle that.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I could not and never ever will.. I will refuse to

Accept that timeout.. pure highest level insanity

Even looked like KL looked over at Lowry with a "why the hell are we waling off the court right now!!!" look

KL "NOTHING could have stopped me.. but.. a (bleep) timeout!"

sigh.. /rant
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Even looked like KL looked over at Lowry with a "why the hell are we waling off the court right now!!!" look

sigh.. /rant

He didn't look tired?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

sigh.. /rant

He didn't look tired?

Not at all..

To me this is an elimination game.. who wants to go to Oakland for two straight when a few more points would have sealed the game

I think Kawhi activated HEROIC mode .. and Nurse failed us.. You could see Kawhi running slower all game and favoring his injury.. Yet he knew his team was about to lose and turned off the pain and turned on the insane and we were watching one man destroy a whole team and he wasn't going to stop..

I Googled Raptors Game 5 Timeout

"Nurse's timeout disprupted Kawhi and gave the Splash Bros the rest they needed"
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Home teams win game 7s about 80 percent of the time.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Home teams win game 7s about 80 percent of the time.

But in this series the home team has lost 80% of the time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
poppajons wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

You don’t think the Clippers were outmatched when they played the Warriors because they won a couple of games? That’s a good one.

Not in the games they won. Surprise tip, the team that scores more wins. They aren’t outmatched, they are victorious.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

What benefits the Lakers more? That's how I look at these things. A loss by Golden State here ensures that they never threepeat. There will be handwringing and recriminations in GS. All good from my point of view. Also IMHO Kawhi doesn't care about staying in Canada. He still leaves and maybe comes to the Lakers. Also good.

The biggest downside of a Raptors win is obnoxious Canadians. But we can handle that.

This series doesn’t affect the Lakers at all.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

sigh.. /rant

He didn't look tired?

Not at all..

To me this is an elimination game.. who wants to go to Oakland for two straight when a few more points would have sealed the game

I think Kawhi activated HEROIC mode .. and Nurse failed us.. You could see Kawhi running slower all game and favoring his injury.. Yet he knew his team was about to lose and turned off the pain and turned on the insane and we were watching one man destroy a whole team and he wasn't going to stop..

"Nurse's timeout disprupted Kawhi and gave the Splash Bros the rest they needed"

I was shocked at the TO call and then thought maybe it was because Kawhaii looked spent and needed a quick breather.

Regardless, even if he was tired, I'm sure he could've easily rode the adrenaline of being mere minutes away from carrying your team (and a whole country) to an NBA chip.

The Warriors were close to a standing 8 count and Nurse gave them a huge reprieve. He stopped his own teams monumental momentum, took his own crowd out the game and, most importantly, allowed the Warriors to catch their breath and reset.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
epak wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

sigh.. /rant

He didn't look tired?

Not at all..

I was shocked at the TO call and then thought maybe it was because Kawhaii looked spent and needed a quick breather.

Regardless, even if he was tired, I'm sure he could've easily rode the adrenaline of being mere minutes away from carrying your team (and a whole country) to an NBA chip.

The Warriors were close to a standing 8 count and Nurse gave them a huge reprieve. He stopped his own teams monumental momentum, took his own crowd out the game and, most importantly, allowed the Warriors to catch their breath and reset.

In the moment and now - after seeing the result - I did not like the timeout. But Nurse's reasoning was they were gonna lose timeouts if they didn't use them and he wanted to get his tired guys a break. It's not terrible reason. The worst thing is, as Ryen Russillo pointed out, he didn't have a good offensive play coming out of the timeout. That was a waste.

If you look at how bad the team played after the timeout you can see they were exhausted and probably needed the break. But Warriors needed it more. So it's a net loss based on that. Nurse has been nearly perfect the rest of the series though. And who's to say the Raptors dont look even worse had that timeout not been called.

In the end I'm glad we get 1 more game and the season doesn't end with KD's injury.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Intrigued by a game 7 but I really want this series over ASAP so the full on Kawhi recruitment can begin.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 403, 404, 405 ... 445, 446, 447  Next
Page 404 of 447
Jump to: