Would you rather use our cap space on a third max player or depth?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we spend our cap space on?
Third max player
68%
 68%  [ 126 ]
Depth
31%
 31%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 184

Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Order of preference:

Kawhi
Kyrie
Depth (32.5m worth of FAs)
Butler
Depth (27.8m worth of FAs)
Kemba

Nice approach:

Kawhi
Kyrie
Butler
Kemba

That will be my order.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
3rd Max if same age range as AD (Kawhi/Kyrie). This ensures our contention post LeBron. Near term you can stock up on ring chasers and the eventual buyout market that happens every year. Mid-term you can use the annual MLe to re-stock higher level talent.

Great great point. If you can have one of these two it is a go. If not than fill the roster with good role players and wait for next superstar after Lebron to sign with AD. When Lebron is gone AD will have 29. Ideal time to pair him with some new younger great superstar ( Giannis, Lillard, Kyrie after, Mitchell, Booker) and go from there.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

Kawhi
Butler
Kyrie
Depth
Kemba
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

We may not have a choice at this point.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Order of preference:

Kawhi
Kyrie
Butler
Kemba

That sums it up for me. That said, kemba isn’t on my list. Depth is the last option after butler for me.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

Danny Green will be a very solid have at 2. Solid 3&D guy. Do you know he short 45% from 3 last season? That next to Bron-AD will be dangerous.

Infact i will take him Collison-Danny Green addition over Kamba Walker

Darren Collison / Rondo
Danny Green / Seth Curry
LeBron James / Trevor Ariza
Anthony Davis / Kuzma
Brook Lopez / McGee

I believe we can make his happen with $27Mill in space. This is way better than going after any 3rd star not called Kawhi.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Would you rather use our cap space on a third max player or depth?

CandyCanes wrote:
IMO unless the third max player is Kawhi, we’re better off signing a few quality role players instead. Especially if the third max is going to be someone like Kemba.

this
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

I'd love to have 3-4 stars on the team, but then you get a mess of trashy
players to back them up. Many stars are playing 55-70 games per season.

I voted for depth. I think we could find a combination of guys that compliment
LBJ & AD. Only guy that can help at this stage is Kuzma, he's goos for 15-20
point which is nice, but he hurts us on D.

As great as it would be to have 3 stars, I don't have the parts to complete a team
or a bench. Hopefully, we don't bring in the misfits we had last season or this years
version of them..
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Oddly I think either could all lead to the same destination

1) Lakers come up with the cap sign KL, Irving or Kemba - I think we win the title even with a bunch of min guys....think this is more of lock if it's KL, but I think it's likely Irving or Kemba with AD and Bron would just be to much for everyone else

2) Lakers have somewhere between 24 to 32 mil sign players like 2 or 3 players like Lopez, Collins, Reddick, etc This would be a deeper team than above. Big thing here obviously is Pelinka landing the "right" 10 millionish type guys, certainly laker fans have a reason to be skeptical about this right now, but really this shouldn't be hard for the FO to nail...Kuz, Davis, Bron + LA + Lakers + GS very diminished, if the FO can't sell that they need to go
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
Danny Green will be a very solid have at 2. Solid 3&D guy. Do you know he short 45% from 3 last season? That next to Bron-AD will be dangerous.

Darren Collison / Rondo
Danny Green / Seth Curry
Anthony Davis / Kuzma
Brook Lopez / McGee

I believe we can make his happen with $27Mill in space. This is way better than going after any 3rd star not called Kawhi.

Agreed. If it's not Kawhi, let's go with depth.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

Imagine how bad the defense would be if Kyrie is the third max guy. You would then have three abysmal defenders in Kyrie, LeBron, and Kuzma. (Potentially four depending on who the SG is.) And all three are injury prone.

If you sign Jimmy Butler then the best three point shooter in that lineup would be LeBron. And imagine how bad it would be if Rondo comes back as the starting PG...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

We need someone who can defend Harden, McCollum, Lilliard, and Murray if we want to get out of the West.

Beverly is probably the best perimeter defender available.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Go for Kawhi if you can get him.

When Lebron comes off the books in a couple years you have a nice core of AD, Kawhi and Kuzma to build around
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:

Darren Collison / Rondo
Danny Green / Seth Curry
Anthony Davis / Kuzma
Brook Lopez / McGee

I think we could make the starting lineup happen. Don't see us getting Rondo, Curry, Ariza and McGee as bench players. I think you're underestimating the kind of salaries these guys will get.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:

Kawhi
Kyrie
Butler
Kemba

That will be my order.

Same.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

True max player will receive max contract every year. Price of role players fluctuate depends on the supply and demand. This is not the right years to go for role players if we have a choice. To me true max players are KL, Irving and Butler. In fact, if not because we have to go all in next season,I would prefer signing KD or Thompson over role playes. Kemba Walker might not be a true max player but if he can score average 25 points in a star-less Charlotte, his numbers might become very good next to Lebron and AD.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Imagine how bad the defense would be if Kyrie is the third max guy. You would then have three abysmal defenders in Kyrie, LeBron, and Kuzma. (Potentially four depending on who the SG is.) And all three are injury prone.

If you sign Jimmy Butler then the best three point shooter in that lineup would be LeBron. And imagine how bad it would be if Rondo comes back as the starting PG...

That’s why signing the max player is not the final step. We need to find role players complement to the max players. If we sign Irving then we have to get a 3+D guy on SG. Room exception probably is not enough to get Danny Green but Avery Bradley might be the guy we can gamble if he becomes available.
If we sign Butler then we would need a shooter at PG. We should go hard at Beverley or Seth Curry.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
True max player will receive max contract every year. Price of role players fluctuate depends on the supply and demand. This is not the right years to go for role players if we have a choice. To me true max players are KL, Irving and Butler. In fact, if not because we have to go all in next season,I would prefer signing KD or Thompson over role playes. Kemba Walker might not be a true max player but if he can score average 25 points in a star-less Charlotte, his numbers might become very good next to Lebron and AD.

I think I would have preferred Klay over Irving (but not over Kawhi obviously) if he hadn't torn his ACL. Provides the two things we need most in shooting and perimeter defense. Probably would have stayed with GSW anyway though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

My preference:

Kawhi Leonard
Brooke Lopez, Bogdon/Green, Goran Dragic
Kyrie Irving
Butler + one of the above (Butler will not come for less than ALL of our cap, unlikely)
Kemba

The reason why I put Lopez, Bogdon/Green, Dragic as my second choice is that we have a decent chance to sign all three of them with the remaining cap space (if it's 32.5m) on shorter term contracts and it would address our biggest concerns. Lopez would allow Davis to have SO much room in the paint since opposing centers cannot come help to clog the lane. Lopez would open up driving lanes for LeBron and Kuz as well. In my opinion, the Lakers absolutely have to sign Lopez no matter what if we don't get Kawhi.

Secondly, we need a 3 and D type of player, Bogdon (50/40/90) is probably the best choice since he seems to have a higher IQ than Green, but Green is a good second choice. Both of these players are better than KCP.

Dragic is getting old but he may want to take a pay cut for a chance at the ring since he's declining. He's streaky, but he's tenacious. Would easily become one of those fan favorites and could put in a very serviceable 20 mpg.

Kyrie for the max is next. As long as Kyrie and AD get along, this would be a dynamic duo for at least another 5-7 years. We can at least build around these two and contend every year even after LBJ is gone.

Butler would be an amazing fit on the team but his asking price is too much for a guy who's already 30 and not worth max money, but at 18m-20m he would be great.

Kemba would put the Lakers in title contention, although fit with LBJ and AD remains to be seen. I have my long-term concerns about a smaller guard in today's NBA.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Not sure I agree Butler is a true max player. Let's put it this way, if the Lakers happen to have 32.5m in cap space and strike out on Kawhi and Kyrie, there is no way they will offer 32.5 to Butler.

To me the definition of a true max player is that you are willing to sacrifice roster deficiencies to sign them because you absolutely cannot pass up on a superstar. I believe Kawhi and Kyrie are the only ones that fit into this definition out of all the guys that are available in the offseason.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

KD
Kawhi

Klay
Kyrie

Depth

Butler
Kemba
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject:

1) Kawhi
2) Kyrie
3) Butler/Depth
4) Depth/Butler
5) Kemba

Assuming $32.7m

Collison- 2/$16, Ross - 3/$24, Lopez - 3/$27, Taj - 1/$3, Ariza - 1/$3, Curry - RE, J Green - Minimum, Chandler- Minimum, Hood- Minimum
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Would you trade Kawhi/Kyrie/Butler straight up for Trevor Ariza, George Hill and Brook Lopez? Yeah I didn't think so.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
1) Kawhi
2) Kyrie
3) Butler/Depth
4) Depth/Butler

5) Kemba

Assuming $32.7m

Collison- 2/$16, Ross - 3/$24, Lopez - 3/$27, Taj - 1/$3, Ariza - 1/$3, Curry - RE, J Green - Minimum, Chandler- Minimum, Hood- Minimum

What's the difference between these two?

gus26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

If it’s not Kawhi I don’t want anyone else getting that max
I rather go to Beverley, Redick and Danny Green and offer them each a 3 yr 32M contract and eat up the whole cap
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: