KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 693, 694, 695 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure the New Balance executives would rather have Kawhi in Lakers purple and gold than the little step brother team. That's a bad look for NB. Either he stays in Toronto and NB has the entire Canadian bball market, or he comes to the Lakers and corners the LA market. But he ain't going to the Clippers. How many jerseys and shirts and accessories did Lob City sell? I didn't see CP3's brand elevate with the clippers. Players go to the Clippers and careers die. Kawhi ain't about that. I'd say it's 50/50 Raptors/Lakers.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Not surprised Kawhi looks like he's leaving the Raptors....other than helping them repeat, what incentive is there to stay there? The ridiculous 53.5% tax rate? The cold winters?

How much is it in California?

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Not surprised Kawhi looks like he's leaving the Raptors....other than helping them repeat, what incentive is there to stay there? The ridiculous 53.5% tax rate? The cold winters?

Think its 15% after federal tax is added, not sure. CA taxes alone are 10% on salaries of $10 million per year.

But Raptors players only pay Canadian tax rates on games played in Toronto. All athletes pay the tax rate of the state/country the game is in. The Lakers play 47 regular season games in CA, so about 5 of every 9 games are taxed at the CA rate.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Think its 15% after federal tax is added, not sure. CA taxes alone are 10% on salaries of $10 million per year.

But Raptors players only pay Canadian tax rates on games played in Toronto. All athletes pay the tax rate of the state/country the game is in. The Lakers play 47 regular season games in CA, so about 5 of every 9 games are taxed at the CA rate.

It scales up to 12.3% for someone of his salary.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

KL cannot join the clippers. If he does it puts us at a disadvantage of keeping Davis here long term. If we don’t meet expectations Davis can bounce in a year across the hall. kL MUST not join the clippers
JJLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

FU #2 Coward/Traitor.

Last edited by JJLakers on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

JJLakers wrote:
Chris Broussard talking kawhi to the lakers.

https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/1141393087630938113

More like talking Lakers should go after Kawhi and only Kawhi
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
I'm pretty sure the New Balance executives would rather have Kawhi in Lakers purple and gold than the little step brother team. That's a bad look for NB. Either he stays in Toronto and NB has the entire Canadian bball market, or he comes to the Lakers and corners the LA market. But he ain't going to the Clippers. How many jerseys and shirts and accessories did Lob City sell? I didn't see CP3's brand elevate with the clippers. Players go to the Clippers and careers die. Kawhi ain't about that. I'd say it's 50/50 Raptors/Lakers.

New Balance is the little step brother so I don't think Clippers vs Lakers is something they'd try and impact the same way Nike or Adidas would.

We're not as in on this Kawhi sweepstakes as people here keep making it seem. I'll gladly be wrong about that but I know Im not.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
KL cannot join the clippers. If he does it puts us at a disadvantage of keeping Davis here long term. If we don’t meet expectations Davis can bounce in a year across the hall. kL MUST not join the clippers

I'm actually hoping he stays in Toronto.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It scales up to 12.3% for someone of his salary.

Is it really that much for rich canadians at 53.5%?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
999 wrote:

I dont mind him coming to Clippers, nobody good is going to join him there. And he will get a front row seat of what he missed out on with the A team of LA.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
999 wrote:

I dont mind him coming to Clippers, nobody good is going to join him there. And he will get a front row seat of what he missed out on with the A team of LA.

Nah, I'd rather have him back east where he can give the Celts the same treatment Bron did for all those years.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
999 wrote:

clippers right now are marketing themselves to be the team in LA. which the Lakers need to shut down immediately. and I mean completely demoralize them. they have an eccentric owner with a competent front office. they are super dangerous to share a city with
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
999 wrote:

clippers right now are marketing themselves to be the team in LA. which the Lakers need to shut down immediately. and I mean completely demoralize them. they have an eccentric owner with a competent front office. they are super dangerous to share a city with
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

Clips have a really solid young team, but make no mistake, KL will have to have a herculean effort to win a Finals with that team. The amazing thing about that Raptors team was that their 7-8 man rotation was mostly filled with guys who did one (or more) things well on offense but played defense. They also had proven vets who needed KL to take them over the top.

Lou, SGA, Shamet, Gallo, Montrez are nice pieces, but I don't think they approximate the depth, defense, and experience of the Raptors. Make no mistake KL would not be able to do as much Load Management there.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Clips have a really solid young team, but make no mistake, KL will have to have a herculean effort to win a Finals with that team. The amazing thing about that Raptors team was that their 7-8 man rotation was mostly filled with guys who did one (or more) things well on offense but played defense. They also had proven vets who needed KL to take them over the top.

Lou, SGA, Shamet, Gallo, Montrez are nice pieces, but I don't think they approximate the depth, defense, and experience of the Raptors. Make no mistake KL would not be able to do as much Load Management there.

The Clips with Kawhi probably favorites in the East....Put Kawhi on almost any Eastern playoff team, they would be favorites. Same situation as LEbron when he was in the East.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Clips with Kawhi probably favorites in the East....Put Kawhi on almost any Eastern playoff team, they would be favorites. Same situation as LEbron when he was in the East.

The East will be better than the West next year if Kawhi stays.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But this is the West? And you have 3-4 tough teams in the East, but the rest is garbage. So load management was much easier there. Can't do the same here in the West. He will have to really carry that team.

I know that Clips supporting cast is probably more ready/deeper than our YUTES were, but LBJ learned first hand how brutal the West is.

We were 37-45 and that would have put us right in the mix in the East for the 8th spot (41-41 Pistons). In the West the 8th spot had a 48-34 record (Clips).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The East will be better than the West next year if Kawhi stays.

The top, most likely.

But from 5-rest it's much easier than the West. Lakers at 37-45 would have been in the hunt for the 8th seed (41-41 Pistons).
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I am 95% sure that Kawahi is coming to the Lakers.

The reason is because of the coaching situation.

The Lakers have created a cool peer to peer type of culture, with a team of knowledgeable and professional players coaches (Vogel, Kidd, Hollins) to work with Lebron and handle the day to day logistics as well as help the team to work together efficiently and have better vision. The Lakers are set up like a team that is for real men, real basketball professionals who know what to do to win and have to treat each other as equals. The Lakers are set up like The Expendables or something.

The Clippers on the other hand have Doc Rivers who is a big autocrat "look at me" pace the sideline yell a lot type of coach. Rivers once actually ran out onto the court during a play in a series against the Lakers. CP3 apparently didn't like him. And players apparently resented the Austin Rivers thing, which reads to me like players didnt like Doc Rivers, which is like saying Doc Rivers is an ***hole.

my take is that Kawahi ultimately left San Antonio because he didn't like having a big boss authoritarian autocrat Popovich breathing fire down his neck and trying to force the team to win with "discipline" etc. So the LA basketball culture the Lakers are building is likely to be vastly more appealing to him than the Clippers situation.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
999 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they'd be all over Horford or some other piece of that level if they get Kawhi. I definitely don't want a Clippers team looking like this next year:

Horford/Zubac
Gallinari/Harrell
Kawhi/Shamet
Shai/Lou
Beverley/??
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
999 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
999 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they'd be all over Horford or some other piece of that level if they get Kawhi. I definitely don't want a Clippers team looking like this next year:

Horford/Zubac
Gallinari/Harrell
Kawhi/Shamet
Shai/Lou
Beverley/??

to get Horford they need to get rid of Gallo for nothing, and not re-sign Bev.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
I am 95% sure that Kawahi is coming to the Lakers.

The reason is because of the coaching situation.

The Lakers have created a cool peer to peer type of culture, with a team of knowledgeable and professional players coaches (Vogel, Kidd, Hollins) to work with Lebron and handle the day to day logistics as well as help the team to work together efficiently and have better vision. The Lakers are set up like a team that is for real men, real basketball professionals who know what to do to win and have to treat each other as equals. The Lakers are set up like The Expendables or something.

The Clippers on the other hand have Doc Rivers who is a big autocrat "look at me" pace the sideline yell a lot type of coach. Rivers once actually ran out onto the court during a play in a series against the Lakers. CP3 apparently didn't like him. And players apparently resented the Austin Rivers thing, which reads to me like players didnt like Doc Rivers, which is like saying Doc Rivers is an ***hole.

my take is that Kawahi ultimately left San Antonio because he didn't like having a big boss authoritarian autocrat Popovich breathing fire down his neck and trying to force the team to win with "discipline" etc. So the LA basketball culture the Lakers are building is likely to be vastly more appealing to him than the Clippers situation.

that's an interesting perspective re: why he'd choose us over the Clippers but I think that it doesn't really serve as a reason for us over staying in TOR

my bet is that he takes a 1+1 in TOR
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

About the Kawhi thing, I think the AD trade killed whatever chance we had of getting him. Why one Earth would he want be seen as the new "bandwagoner" of the league, specially when he's already a 2x champ? Kawhi doesn't strike me at all as the superteam guy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
About the Kawhi thing, I think the AD trade killed whatever chance we had of getting him. Why one Earth would he want be seen as the new "bandwagoner" of the league, specially when he's already a 2x champ? Kawhi doesn't strike me at all as the superteam guy.

Wow, I feel the complete opposite.

Without AD, I felt we had less than a 5% chance at KL. With AD, I feel we have a much better chance.

IMO KL does not have anything to prove with naysayers. He took down the HEAT and the Warriors (albeit they were toast). He's looking for a market, proven other stars (to help with load management), and more brand power for him.

That is LA to me. And the Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 693, 694, 695 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 694 of 878
Jump to: