Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
What's the difference between what this author did and what the kid in this video did?

Seems like both are viral shaming.

TREMENDOUS difference.

1) The author took a picture of an unsuspecting person and then attempted to use the picture against them by sending a tweet tagged to her employer with a notation indicating a hope that her employer would somehow intervene.

2) Low level employees, especially those of color, are often separated from employment for a myriad of comparatively minor offense which their colleagues aren't at equal threat of being separated from employment for.

3) Police can routinely kill people and generally receive no more than a paid vacation for their actions. The chance of a Police Officer being separated from his employment for a violation like parking on a sidewalk is ZERO.

So the kid acting like a little punk carries with it no threat, whereas the author acting like a biatch carries with it a credible potential threat that's been exposed well enough that any sentient citizen is aware of the potential consequences of said actions. Until this nation arrives at a point where such disparate outcomes are still normal, then sentient citizens need to be aware of the gravity of their actions. The fact that Police are 70% more likely to harm an unarmed innocent Black man compared to an unarmed innocent white man, is why greater care must be taken when calling police to investigate nominal infractions of simple codes (ie, things that aren't even crimes, but rather just simple rules).

Beyond that, folks need to be educated re: the whole "See Something Say Something" meme that's been popularised since 9-11. It was never meant to be a license for the general public to try to become a bunch of little Barney Fifes. Proactively engaging in rules enforcement behaviours is not in the perview of the general public. We hire an abundance of rule enforcement personnel, and put in place rules enforcement protocols, at a level that's deemed sufficient to satisfy the demand of the general public. If the general public demanded a higher level of enforcement than whats is in place, then it would change it's posture accordingly, just as Metro changed it's enforcement policies re: eating, fare evading, etc to better reflect the current demands of the general public. They were giving out far too many silly tickets for rules that the general public did not want to be as vigorously enforced. Enforcement authorities have access to all of the pertinent information, whereas the general public only has access to a small snippet, and is but one reason why the general public shouldn't be attempting to weasel it's way into active enforcement activities.

That's quite a long explanation.

If you replace that cop with a black female cop and replace the kid with the Jordanian author, what would the narrative be?

Would that now be racism and inappropriate snitching?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A Washington transit worker who was reported to her bosses on social media by author Natasha Tynes for eating on the train will not face disciplinary action, an official from the Metro workers union said Monday.

Barry Hobson, the chief of staff for Amalgamated Transit Union Local 689, told NBC News that Paul Wiedefeld, the general manager of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, said there would be no action taken against the woman.

The bus operator is not permitted to speak to the media per the terms of her union contract, Hobson said, however, he described her as a veteran employee who has worked for the Metro since 2001. He said she was taking her meal break Friday morning while in transit from one assignment to another.

"Generally, she would have gotten to her next stop and had her breakfast," he said. "But the train was late. So she thought, 'I'm just going to throw my breakfast down now.'"

The woman told Hobson she was unaware Tynes had taken or posted her photo until she was sent screenshots of it Friday.

"She is very concerned and very embarrassed that the patron did share her photo," Hobson said. "She has totally taken responsibility for what she did."

He also said that she would have had no problem if Tynes made a formal complaint about her without posting her photo online.

"To take her photo ... she has had to endure some of the backlash made about her race, about her appearance," Hobson said.

Metro operators have “an average of 20 minutes to consume a meal and get to their next access point to ensure all buses and trains are on time, safe and ready to serve the riding public,” Hobson said.

Metro Will Not Discipline Operator
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I dont get it. Yes it was very petty but I dont see anything racist/sexist implied in that tweet. And as a black person myself I hate to be patronized into some protected class.

Too late, old white women are here to save us
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

That's quite a long explanation.

If you replace that cop with a black female cop and replace the kid with the Jordanian author, what would the narrative be?

Would that now be racism and inappropriate snitching?

Cops are NOT subject to losing their jobs for minor infractions like parking on a sidewalk. Wouldn't matter if the cop was White, Black, or Green. It's simply not something that a cop would be subject to separation from employment over.

The author would also be a punk in the place of the Kid.

Both the kid and the author are Hemorrhoids on society. Rules are guidelines to afford general decorum, not universal edicts to never be disobeyed under any circumstance.

It's like a motorist driving down the road and notices a tree is about to fall in it's path of travel, but refuses to cross over to the other side of the road to avoid being crushed by the tree. When medics arrive and ask her why she didn't avoid the tree and she responds "Because the rules say I can never cross the solid yellow line." Then Darwin is correct in collecting one of his soldiers. Simple rules were never meant to supercede using ones own brain and common sense. They are guidelines. Ya still are responsible for thinking...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Rules are guidelines to afford general decorum, not universal edicts to never be disobeyed under any circumstance.

I wonder if that explanation ever worked when an officer writes someone up for a ticket for eating on the metro.

Let me ask you this. If a person such as the author witnessed hypocrisy, what would be the best way to express those opinions without being seen as a racist and/or a snitch?

What would be your recommendation?

We do agree that it is a bit hypocritical for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to actively fine people for eating on the metro while one of its employees is seen eating on the metro?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Rules are guidelines to afford general decorum, not universal edicts to never be disobeyed under any circumstance.

I wonder if that explanation ever worked when an officer writes someone up for a ticket for eating on the metro.

Let me ask you this. If a person such as the author witnessed hypocrisy, what would be the best way to express those opinions without being seen as a racist and/or a snitch?

We do agree that it is a bit hypocritical for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to actively fine people for eating on the metro while one of its employees is seen eating on the metro?

As the article explained she would've eaten her lunch at the next stop but the metro was already late. Unlike the author this metro worker has at most 20 minutes to eat even on a generous day. Instead of pointing out the ridiculous actions of the author you choose to narrow in on a minor transgression. I rather have the metro worker break a minor rule than work while starving but hey RULES ARE RULES I guess.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

I wonder if that explanation ever worked when an officer writes a ticket for eating on the metro.

I once had a 3 hour layover at LAX returning back to Seattle from Costa Rica. They had not finished the light rail line to the airport on my last trek through La, but I was pretty sure it had been completed on that trip, so I though to myself, this would be the perfect chance to check it out and kill some time. I get down to the platform and am looking at the payment station and was saddened there was no card payment option present as I only had 100's on me. I said what the heck, I'll roll the dice, and jumped on board without paying a fare. A group of high school girls saw that I hadn't paid and were snickering to themselves knowing what was likely to come in short order. Sure enough, 2 stops later, fare enforcement officers got on board. The girls were openly "ohhh, ohh, gonna get it now" and chuckling openly. As the enforcement officers made it nearer, they were held up by a lady eating a candy bar and told her she wasn't allowed to eat. She calmly pulled out an insulin needle and told them they she'd taken too much insulin and had to get her blood sugar back up. They chatted for a bit before leaving her, with no ticket, because they used their brains.

They finally make it to me and ask for my ticket, to which I calmly respond, I haven't purchased it yet. 2 of the officers look at each other a bit bewildered at my non chalant admission with zero hint of concern and ask "why haven't you purchased a ticket?" to which I calmly respond, because I haven't gotten off yet. After a bit of back and forth with my explaining to him that I lived in Seattle and at that time you indeed didn't pay a fare in Seattle for transit leaving downtown until you were getting off. He listened to my whole spiel, we got off at the next stop. He personally broke a hundred for me so I could put a $20 in the machine. And we chatted for half an hour as I gave him tips on things to do in Seattle on his daughters upcoming college visit. No ticket issued.

Bottom line is in all facets of life, rules get broken and folks are left to use their brains as to whether or not the rule breaking MUST be universally punished. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since '93, even though I routinely speed, and have been pulled over about a half dozen times. (A fact that annoys my friends to no end as they can't believe I'm getting out of another ticket) So even rule enforcers still use their brains (although some are so robotic that they refuse to use their brains and just spit out a singular response to every incident like well trained poodles without nary an independent thought).
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

As the article explained she would've eaten her lunch at the next stop but the metro was already late. Unlike the author this metro worker has at most 20 minutes to eat even on a generous day. Instead of pointing out the ridiculous actions of the author you choose to narrow in on a minor transgression. I rather have the metro worker break a minor rule than work while starving but hey RULES ARE RULES I guess.

So you're saying the author should know this?

I'm asking if the author feels that there's some hypocrisy going on, what is the best way for her to express those feelings and not be seen as a racist and/or a snitch?

Also, if the worker is not in violation of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority rules, why would her job be in jeopardy?

The author is being bashed for putting this worker's job in jeopardy, but it seems like what you're saying is, the worker has a right to eat on the metro because of her 20 min shift change.

So what exactly is the author being bashed for?

Wouldn't a simple solution be for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to rewrite the rules? They could make it something like:

"No, eating or drinking on the metro (unless WMATA employee who only have 20 minutes to eat)"

Also, regarding Rules are Rules - do the officers that write the tickets when they catch other passengers eating on the metro, do they take into account that that passenger only has 20 minutes to eat as well?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

The author rightfully should be bashed for being a jerk. She should have minded her own business as should everyone else in call out culture.

But she shouldn’t have lost her book deal just because she’s white.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Sorry, didn't see the second part before my last response. Re: the author witnessing hypocrisy? That's pretty simple. If it was a one time thing? Let it go. It's not worth it fretting over all the small stuff. If it was an ongoing pattern which she witnessed time and again, and she saw patrons continuosly getting fined for eating even though many employees were eating constantly with seeming impunity? Again, it's pretty simple. Fire up the word processor, type out a complaint letter, then forward it off to customer service at Metro and await the predictably canned response which tells her that they take her concerns seriously and are looking into the matter, yadda, yadda, yadda.

For those who find themselves incapable of engaging either of these two response, a trip to their docs office to request a prescription of Xanax should help with their condition.

And regarding Metro policies? They, like a growing number of municipalities, are slowing their roll on the issuance of all of these boneheaded citations for simple rules infractions. More often than not it makes more sense to simply say, "you're not supposed to eat that here", than to write a ticket for such basic activity. If a citizen then decides to be a jerk about ti, then respond like a jerk and write THAT jerk a ticket. But the majority of the time? It's just silly.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Sorry, didn't see the second part before my last response. Re: the author witnessing hypocrisy? That's pretty simple. If it was a one time thing? Let it go. It's not worth it fretting over all the small stuff. If it was an ongoing pattern which she witnessed time and again, and she saw patrons continuosly getting fined for eating even though many employees were eating constantly with seeming impunity? Again, it's pretty simple. Fire up the word processor, type out a complaint letter, then forward it off to customer service at Metro and await the predictably canned response which tells her that they take her concerns seriously and are looking into the matter, yadda, yadda, yadda.

For those who find themselves incapable of engaging either of these two response, a trip to their docs office to request a prescription of Xanax should help with their condition.

And regarding Metro policies? They, like a growing number of municipalities, are slowing their roll on the issuance of all of these boneheaded citations for simple rules infractions. More often than not it makes more sense to simply say, "you're not supposed to eat that here", than to write a ticket for such basic activity. If a citizen then decides to be a jerk about ti, then respond like a jerk and write THAT jerk a ticket. But the majority of the time? It's just silly.

These are very specific rules.

But I didn't ask you what the author should do. I asked you, if the author feels that WMATA is being hypocritical, how should she express her opinions w/o coming off as a racist and/or a snitch.

We do agree that she isn't being bashed for her opinions? She's being bashed for how she chose to express those opinions?

For instance, if she just tweeted what happened w/ no pic, there would be no backlash?

If she just tweeted "on metro right now. Employee eating on metro. Isn't that against WMATA policy?"

If she just did that, there would be no issue correct?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
If she just tweeted "on metro right now. Employee eating on metro. Isn't that against WMATA policy?"

I'd say so. Because in that event she didn't single out the worker for what is, on a scale of egregiousness from 1-10, a solid 1.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

I'd say so. Because in that event she didn't single out the worker for what is, on a scale of egregiousness from 1-10, a solid 1.

Yup, so pretty much we can narrow the backlash down to the picture.

Also, if she took the picture but cut off the face and the skin color, there might not have been a backlash either.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Also, if she took the picture but cut off the face and the skin color, there might not have been a backlash either.

She didn't use good whistle blower sense. Some are going Jake Brigance and asking, What if she were White?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Author of the book now suing the publisher claiming racism. Around and around we go.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2019/06/08/natasha-tynes-sues-rare-bird-its-actions-metro-shaming-scandal/1395567001/
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

She didn't use good whistle blower sense. Some are going Jake Brigance and asking, What if she were White?

Some are thinking you’ve beaten your jake brigance references into the ground.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

The author was also a minority (Jordanian-American). Living in the D.C. area and being very familiar with the details of this case I don't believe for a second that this was racial and do think the author was treated a bit harshly here - culminating in her not only losing her book deal but apparently also being placed on leave from her regular job at the World Bank.

But I also think she brought this on herself with the snitching - it's easy enough to just mind your own business and common sense should've told her that publicly shaming the employee like that probably wouldn't end well for her. I do also wonder if this had been a white male in a business suit sipping on a Starbucks coffee if she would've had the same reaction (I doubt it)...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
The author was also a minority (Jordanian-American). Living in the D.C. area and being very familiar with the details of this case I don't believe for a second that this was racial and do think the author was treated a bit harshly here - culminating in her not only losing her book deal but apparently also being placed on leave from her regular job at the World Bank.

But I also think she brought this on herself with the snitching - it's easy enough to just mind your own business and common sense should've told her that publicly shaming the employee like that probably wouldn't end well for her. I do also wonder if this had been a white male in a business suit sipping on a Starbucks coffee if she would've had the same reaction (I doubt it)...

sounds like you think it was racially motivated
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Osei wrote:

sounds like you think it was racially motivated

Eh, it's maybe somewhat tricky to explain but what I meant is I don't think there was explicit racial intent (i.e., I don't think this person had some dislike for or prejudice of black people that motivated her actions). But to follow-up on my "Starbucks" comment (LOL) yes - I do think there *may* have been some implicit racial bias here which is unfortunate.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

Osei wrote:

Circular firing squad in effect here with this story.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: