Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Practice wrote:
Judah wrote:
2019 wrote:
Who says Hollins is going to run the D? Maybe they just want him to be a veteran voice to connect with the players in an old-school no nonsense approach.

Great to hear they’re targeting Adams. Would be a huge get.

If true, that would deserve a huge facepalm. If that's the best thing a coach can bring to the table on a coaching staff, he's just a wasted seat. I don't know of any successful NBA team that follows that model. Which coach on SA plays that role? How about GS? Toronto? As far as I can tell, the elite teams employ coaches who are masterminds at X’s and O’s, not drill sergeants.

To my knowledge, only three other coaches sit with the head coach on the first bench. So even if the Lakers were somehow able to poach Adams from the Warriors, that would put them at three coaches already. So much for that offensive guru (which is an actual need).

Wasn't that Luke's job?

ollins is obviously capable of and will do more, but the Lakers obviously wanted more veteran voices after the disaster that was Luke's staff and having a coach the players can relate to was a legit concern people had post-Luke.

No idea what you're talking about in reference to Luke. But to the bolded, okay. Like what? Pay me a huge favor and lay it out. I wanna hear someone adequately explain Hollins’ value (especially in light of the theoretical hiring of Adams) without distracting from the point by bringing up Luke's old staff.

I brought up Luke because he coached in GS and was touted as the guy players can relate to and I brought up Luke's staff because we've had reports of the Lakers wanting more vets both during and after because he had none on his staff. I obviously can't tell you what any of our coaches roles will be until we start getting more reports, but Hollins is of course going to do something whether it's player development or something else. Do you think he's just here to sit and look pretty.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Judah wrote:
Practice wrote:
Judah wrote:
2019 wrote:
Who says Hollins is going to run the D? Maybe they just want him to be a veteran voice to connect with the players in an old-school no nonsense approach.

Great to hear they’re targeting Adams. Would be a huge get.

If true, that would deserve a huge facepalm. If that's the best thing a coach can bring to the table on a coaching staff, he's just a wasted seat. I don't know of any successful NBA team that follows that model. Which coach on SA plays that role? How about GS? Toronto? As far as I can tell, the elite teams employ coaches who are masterminds at X’s and O’s, not drill sergeants.

To my knowledge, only three other coaches sit with the head coach on the first bench. So even if the Lakers were somehow able to poach Adams from the Warriors, that would put them at three coaches already. So much for that offensive guru (which is an actual need).

Wasn't that Luke's job?

ollins is obviously capable of and will do more, but the Lakers obviously wanted more veteran voices after the disaster that was Luke's staff and having a coach the players can relate to was a legit concern people had post-Luke.

No idea what you're talking about in reference to Luke. But to the bolded, okay. Like what? Pay me a huge favor and lay it out. I wanna hear someone adequately explain Hollins’ value (especially in light of the theoretical hiring of Adams) without distracting from the point by bringing up Luke's old staff.

I brought up Luke because he coached in GS and was touted as the guy players can relate to and I brought up Luke's staff because we've had reports of the Lakers wanting more vets both during and after because he had none on his staff. I obviously can't tell you what any of our coaches roles will be until we start getting more reports, but Hollins is of course going to do something whether it's player development or something else. Do you think he's just here to sit and look pretty.

Love how you keep going on diatribes about Luke to take up space and avoid defending your original assertion about Hollins. To answer your last question, I have no idea why he was hired. The one area that he could've been useful in (and I'm not even sure how useful since the NBA game has changed so much since he coached Memphis) was defense. But they're looking to bring in a modern (!), elite defensive mind. So the burden of proof is on you to explain what Hollins brings to the table outside of that. You were the one who made the assertion that he’s ”capable” and ”will do more” than simply play some asinine bad cop role. I asked you to expound on that and you gave me nothing. But I'm not surprised. It's hard to make something appear out of thin air.

And at Hollins being a successful head coach (with Memphis anyway) and then going all the way down to player development. He was on their short list of candidates for the head job FCOL. And besides, why in the world would he even be a good choice for player development anyway? I'm sure the Lakers could do better than that. You don't just trot a coach out there to oversee player development just because he has coaching experience. Get someone who is actually top notch in that area and knows what they're doing.

The FO clearly imposed Kidd and Hollins onto Vogel, and now his staff already has two wasted seats. Vogel was more than capable of choosing the right guys for his staff, but they took that away and blew it with two incompetent hires.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Vogel will be the difference between a chip or not. And I don't envy him. I have no idea who he should start. I have no idea who will be the 3rd best player on our team.
2 things he has going for him are:
1) He has 2 ex-head coaches to lean on. Especially Hollins. He's legit.
2) His roster matches his coaching style better than his predecessors (Luke, Scott, MDA, Brown).
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Vogel will be the difference between a chip or not. And I don't envy him. I have no idea who he should start. I have no idea who will be the 3rd best player on our team.
2 things he has going for him are:
1) He has 2 ex-head coaches to lean on. Especially Hollins. He's legit.
2) His roster matches his coaching style better than his predecessors (Luke, Scott, MDA, Brown).

Good points. They've certainly setup Vogel for success better than they did Luke. Luke had his problems but it must have sucked having a boss who was just waiting for him to fail and giving him a bunch of players who would increase the likelihood of that happening.

This is Rob's hire and the word is Vogel was the Rambii's choice as well so I'm expecting he'll have the FO's full support to start out.
NeeJee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

From what I remember in his coaching stint in Indy, the players really played hard for him. That Indy team was a beast defensively. I hope the same happens for the Lakers.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

What’s the outcome of the Ron Adams rumors?
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

i don't think we've filled out all the assistant positions yet right? any chance we would get an above average offensive coach on staff?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
i don't think we've filled out all the assistant positions yet right? any chance we would get an above average offensive coach on staff?

It’s a little strange. There hasn’t been a peep from the Lakers about Kidd or Hollins and their website still only lists Simon as an assistant. I guess they’re waiting to complete the staff before making anything official.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Amazing that hiring a legit offensive guru was a lesser priority than bringing on Kidd and Hollins because the FO likes them, and not because they're even experts in any particular area. I'm horrified that Kidd is going to end up being in charge of the offense.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

His coaching staff isnt complete. Think we’ll add 3 people

Had / Have
HC: Luke -> Vogel
AHC: Shaw -> Kidd
Simon -> Simon
Mermuys -> Hollins
Keefe -> ?
Madsen -> ?
Moser -> ?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Amazing that hiring a legit offensive guru was a lesser priority than bringing on Kidd and Hollins because the FO likes them, and not because they're even experts in any particular area. I'm horrified that Kidd is going to end up being in charge of the offense.

The irony is that Kidd was hired to be a mentor for Lonzo who isn't even here anymore. So why is Kidd still?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

The question should be will he make it past the all-star break?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Any word on Ron Adams? He would do wonders in hiding our PG's on defense.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:

Had / Have

Negative.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Had / Have

Negative.

You think were rolling with only 3 assistants ?!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Judah wrote:

The irony is that Kidd was hired to be a mentor for Lonzo who isn't even here anymore. So why is Kidd still?

That's why a coach should pick his own staff instead of having a FO assign one for him. I don't think anyone who has been hired so far has been of Vogel's choosing, at least not originally.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Perfect coach for us
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Perfect coach for us

And far better than Lue for this team
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Excited to see an offense with efficient 3 point shooting
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Please be smart enough to limit the damage Rondo can and will do to us on the floor.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Please be smart enough to limit the damage Rondo can and will do to us on the floor.

Came here to post this. I like Rondo's game, but at this point in his career and on this team playing alongside James, he's just a bad fit.

As much as I try to fit him into the rotation, I just cannot bring myself to muck up the lineup by forcefully trying to appease him by giving him rotational minutes.

He really needs to be the fifth guard, and I hope Vogel & Co. have the balls to take him out of the rotation. It'll be doubly hard with his buddies (Davis and Cousins) pressuring the staff to play Rondo over guys like Caruso, Cook, or Trey Burke (if he signs).

I hope Vogel starts camp with the motto "Eff Feelings".
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Seeing as how the offensive weapons have changed dramatically from last season I'm glad we waited.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Judah wrote:

To mentor AC Fresh?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

JKidd here to:

1. Take Vogel’s job
2. Tell everyone to listen to Lebron
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

is Vogel the kind of coach who gives in to "politics" and crap like that?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 66 of 224
Jump to: