Is there any doubt now that Pelinka is a great GM?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

When we end up with this team:

LeBron
AD
Kawhi

Nerlens Noel
Korver
JR Smith
Tristan Thompson
Seth Curry
Ariza
Wayne Ellington

DONE!!!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I hated how much we gave up in the trade, but if he gets Kawhi, I would definitely sweat the future picks left. You have to stars that can carry the team past LeBron.

Even getting DLO would be somewhat compensating. Not the best, not not bad.

Let's wait and see how the max money is spent. If it ends up going to a bunch 30-something guys that will wear down right along with LeBron, it's not a great use of money.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I hated how much we gave up in the trade, but if he gets Kawhi, I would definitely sweat the future picks left. You have to stars that can carry the team past LeBron.

Let's wait and see how the max money is spent. If it ends up going to a bunch 30-something guys that will wear down right along with LeBron, it's not a great use of money.

Having a pathway to a post-Lebron, non-Klutch future to survive through the 2025 season would be a huge, huge win.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
we need an eat your crow thread.

One of Kawhi, Kyrie, Jimmy, DLo needs to sign first.

Even then it still was done ass backwards.

Your thinking is ass backwards. Half empty as always.

Everyone here is happy about getting cap space and you come in with your negativity. Geez man, talk about Captain Buzz kill. We would win a Championship and you would complain we would have a longer window if "we kept the kids."

You are the one that went after the skeptics first.

I love the people that bait those who don't think exactly like them, and then condemn them for responding.

How about not making the comments, and then you will see how much more peace and quiet you get?

You remind me of anti-Lin posters who bring up JLin every time his name is peripherally mentioned in the news and then complain about how you were victimized by Lin's existence.

Don't attack people if you don't want to hear a response.

Did I name you?

How about holding you accountable for the things you post. Don't post things on a public forum if you don't want to hear a response. Keep on buzz killing though.

I was happy to hear the news. But I call things like I see them.

If he signs a max agent I will feel pretty pleased even though the team is still very vulnerable to injury. I will also feel okay if he signs DLo plus a quality center or a good 3 and D wing.

I will not be okay if he signs role players.

However, clearing the space was a very positive sign, as that at least gives hope for the max agent.

So I'd say my reaction was appropriate and not a buzzkill.

Blind cheerleading is as much of a buzzkill to me as stark reality might be to you.

But we are free to react as we want.

^^ That sure sounds like someone happy with the news. Perhaps your delivery needs some work? You sound like a curmudgeon.

How is it done ass backwards? Do you have evidence?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Everyone here is happy about getting cap space and you come in with your negativity. Geez man, talk about Captain Buzz kill. We would win a Championship and you would complain we would have a longer window if "we kept the kids."

I love the people that bait those who don't think exactly like them, and then condemn them for responding.

How about not making the comments, and then you will see how much more peace and quiet you get?

You remind me of anti-Lin posters who bring up JLin every time his name is peripherally mentioned in the news and then complain about how you were victimized by Lin's existence.

Did I name you?

How about holding you accountable for the things you post. Don't post things on a public forum if you don't want to hear a response. Keep on buzz killing though.

If he signs a max agent I will feel pretty pleased even though the team is still very vulnerable to injury. I will also feel okay if he signs DLo plus a quality center or a good 3 and D wing.

However, clearing the space was a very positive sign, as that at least gives hope for the max agent.

Blind cheerleading is as much of a buzzkill to me as stark reality might be to you.

^^ That sure sounds like someone happy with the news. Perhaps your delivery needs some work? You sound like a curmudgeon.

If they had arranged it with the Wizards in advance...

Something like... hey, I want you to do me a solid...

I don't want it to look like we are trading all our players at once... so I'm going to trade three of them... and then a few days later I'm going to trade the rest of them for space. But we need to make it look unrelated.
Are you down? Cool... thanks.

That would be not ass backwards.

If you believe that Rob had the Wizards trade secured ahead of time.

Then yes, you are right it wasn't ass backwards.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any doubt now that Pelinka is a great GM?

Inspector Gadget wrote:

He's doing the right things.

But let's wait to give him a grade when he fills out the roster.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Did I name you?

If they had arranged it with the Wizards in advance...

Something like... hey, I want you to do me a solid...

I don't want it to look like we are trading all our players at once... so I'm going to trade three of them... and then a few days later I'm going to trade the rest of them for space. But we need to make it look unrelated.
Are you down? Cool... thanks.

That would be not ass backwards.

If you believe that Rob had the Wizards trade secured ahead of time.

Then yes, you are right it wasn't ass backwards.

There was a school of thought, correct me if I'm wrong, you were included that the Lakers\Rob did not think this through. There was no way Griffin would allow another team in place because that would lower his future draft picks. If that's the case, then why would Griffin agree to it now?

To me, it looks like Rob had some sort of agreement in place or Griffin would just say no as this affects his future draft picks.

Anyways, so why do you think it was ass backwards? These are words you stated. Based on what exactly?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:

There was a school of thought, correct me if I'm wrong, you were included that the Lakers\Rob did not think this through. There was no way Griffin would allow another team in place because that would lower his future draft picks. If that's the case, then why would Griffin agree to it now?

To me, it looks like Rob had some sort of agreement in place or Griffin would just say no as this affects his future draft picks.

Anyways, so why do you think it was ass backwards? These are words you stated. Based on what exactly?

So your theory is that Rob has a max player secretly lined up, he negotiated the trade with Griffin that would allow him to divest the rest of the young players to clear 32 million in cap space in a second trade with an already agreed upon partner?

And all of this has been locked down in advance?

If this is so... then yes, I have to take back what I said.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Dude! give it a break!

This is a good day

Glass half full, prob 3/4 full at this point

Pelinka did good

double space
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dude! give it a break!

This is a good day

Pelinka did good

double space

I am happy. It's a good sign.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
governator wrote:
Dude! give it a break!

This is a good day

Pelinka did good

double space

I am happy. It's a good sign.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

There is another school of thought, mostly mine it seems, that Pelinka might have been bidding against himself. With Boston not offering Tatum (speaking of Boston, with Kemba they could be improved. If Horford is coaxed back, they should be reeeeal good) and the Knicks with no offer, what was the second best offer to the Pelicans, if there was one?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I like what I see so far, and I'm excited for the possibility of a 3rd max player, but all this will be for naught if they aren't hoisting a championship trophy within 2 years.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any doubt now that Pelinka is a great GM?

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The fact that we have 32M in cap space should tell us that we are gonna get the right players to round out the roster.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Hold the phone until he signs Kawhiet and/or fills out the roster with good players

The front office can only do so much, it still comes down to the players and coaching staff to deliver - the front office puts the foundation in place.

If Rob gives us AD + Kawhi this season and we lose that doesn't mean he didn't do a good job.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

So your theory is that Rob has a max player secretly lined up, he negotiated the trade with Griffin that would allow him to divest the rest of the young players to clear 32 million in cap space in a second trade with an already agreed upon partner?

https://twitter.com/LakerFilmRoom/status/1141142311490871296

"LFR suggested the Lakers signed Jones to a contract with about two weeks left last season with a non-guaranteed salary for 2019-2020. It's entirely possible Pelinka did that for this exact reason because they might need to include to include a little more salary in the trade to make it legal. It's almost like they had a plan or something."

To say it was backwards means you know concrete evidence or you believe all the reports the media put out there that the Lakers messed this up, Griffin won't agree to add a third team, he has no reason to, etc.. So far this has been proven wrong so you can make your own judgement based on the facts provided. All I know is, there isn't definitive proof that Rob did this backwards. In the end, it's the results that matter, so far it's looking a lot better than it did a month ago when Magic quit as POBO and ripped the Rob and the Lakers.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Having a pathway to a post-Lebron, non-Klutch future to survive through the 2025 season would be a huge, huge win.

Meant to say NOT sweat. But yeah, we've given away our best picks for the next 5 to 7 years, so we need players that can set us up for success as close to that window as we can, not just 1-2 year window.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Much rather have a different GM then Palinka. But I said I would give him a chance and so far so good except for over paying for AD but he got it done. I can over look that and move on. 👍 great move to dump the salary plus LeGM is actually pretty good it turns out lol. Thank Goodness for him and Rich lol.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Magic signed Lebron.

We'll see if Pelinka can sign anybody. He gets an incomplete grade until then. The AD trade was put on a platter for him by Klutch.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

"LFR suggested the Lakers signed Jones to a contract with about two weeks left last season with a non-guaranteed salary for 2019-2020. It's entirely possible Pelinka did that for this exact reason because they might need to include to include a little more salary in the trade to make it legal. It's almost like they had a plan or something."

To say it was backwards means you know concrete evidence or you believe all the reports the media put out there that the Lakers messed this up, Griffin won't agree to add a third team, he has no reason to, etc.. So far this has been proven wrong so you can make your own judgement based on the facts provided. All I know is, there isn't definitive proof that Rob did this backwards. In the end, it's the results that matter, so far it's looking a lot better than it did a month ago when Magic quit as POBO and ripped the Rob and the Lakers.

So you think this image of a front office in chaos is an engineered smoke screen?

I think the 32 million dollar cap space is a good sign and a good outcome but there's no outward logic that I can see.

Why wouldn't they simply say that they've already cleared the space?

Why the need for the element of surprise?

You think they wanted to act like they were in chaos on purpose so they could do stealth negotiations for an FA who was already secured?

Again, as I just said, if it turns out as you said the agent was lined up... the deal was struck with Griffin... the trade was already secured with the Wizards... then it was genius, not ass backwards... but until I see that explained I will go with my initial impression.

I don't see the advantage to not making all of this clear to the public.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
The AD trade was put on a platter for him by Klutch.

Pretty much everyone sucks if you decide not to credit them for the good stuff that happens.

Basically, I rank a FO based on everything that happens during its watch, and I don't try to portion out credit to specific individuals.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

So you think this image of a front office in chaos is an engineered smoke screen?

I think the 32 million dollar cap space is a good sign and a good outcome but there's no outward logic that I can see.

Why wouldn't they simply say that they've already cleared the space?

Why the need for the element of surprise?

You think they wanted to act like they were in chaos on purpose so they could do stealth negotiations for an FA who was already secured?

Again, as I just said, if it turns out as you said the agent was lined up... the deal was struck with Griffin... the trade was already secured with the Wizards... then it was genius, not ass backwards... but until I see that explained I will go with my initial impression.

I don't see the advantage to not making all of this clear to the public.

No to smoke screen.

As far as why didn't they go public? Ever since Magic left, the Lakers have been tight lipped and that is now obviously their MO. Perhaps by showing they are tight lipped long term, they will show that the media is unreliable and out of control.

Look guys, the media goes bonkers with the Lakers drama since Shaq and Kobe. Perhaps the Lakers want to take control now and minimize this.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any doubt now that Pelinka is a great GM?

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

3 all-stars A+ for me.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:

No to smoke screen.

As far as why didn't they go public? Ever since Magic left, the Lakers have been tight lipped and that is now obviously their MO. Perhaps by showing they are tight lipped long term, they will show that the media is unreliable and out of control.

Look guys, the media goes bonkers with the Lakers drama since Shaq and Kobe. Perhaps the Lakers want to take control now and minimize this.

I just disagree that the media is out to get the Lakers. I can see certain small market owners trying to get us or collude but I see no reason why ESPN should try to destroy their big story next season.

Stephen A and Max are constantly talking about the Knicks and Lakers even though we've both been terrible teams... Same with Skip and Shannon... Jalen and Jacoby... you can't turn on a sports talk show without hearing about the Lakers.

Economically there is no reason for them to want a crippled Lakers franchise, especially with the power void caused by the Warriors injuries and LBJ's exodus from Cleveland so although I agree with you that it's possible Rob knows what he's doing... I don't see the angle why reporters would be out to get the Lakers.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Shows this FO actually has a long term plan, not a reckless 2 year vision.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21
Jump to: