Phil Jackson and his contract

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Phil Jackson and his contract

he has 1 year left and he's made a huge difference in a short time with this young team. Will this team be an "elete" team by the time next year ends? Any news about an extension for Phil? I would hate for him to retire now after the strides we have take. I feel we would go backwards with a new coach.

THOUGHTS!!!!!!!1
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:

An extension is there whenever Phil wants it. Buss said as much this preseason. Phil himself said he won't decide until the offseason on whether he wants to comeback for another two-three years after 2008.

Also, IIRC Phil has some hefty bonuses on his contract if the team reaches a certain round in the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject:

With the way this team has responded to Phil the last 2 year, the only thing keeping Phil from re-signing would be his health.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Well I dont know if this means anything, but when Phil got win 900 they asked him of the possibility of 1000 wins and he said something to the effect its gonna be tough to get all those wins next year. He was joking most likely but still.
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Well I dont know if this means anything, but when Phil got win 900 they asked him of the possibility of 1000 wins and he said something to the effect its gonna be tough to get all those wins next year. He was joking most likely but still.

The best he could do next season would be 82+16 wins. It is still 98 2 short of 100.

So the games the Lakers will win this season will definitely reduce the burden on his shoulder for next season
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:

I saw that, and I didn't think he was joking. I think he added to the statement, but the first sound bite made it seem like he was thinking of this being his last contract. But he has plenty of time to decide.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
eureca wrote:

I saw that, and I didn't think he was joking. I think he added to the statement, but the first sound bite made it seem like he was thinking of this being his last contract. But he has plenty of time to decide.

Phil said the same things last time around when his contract was nearing an end.

Aslo knowing Phil's flair for drama he probably won't re-sign until Kobe comes out and says how much he needs Phil. I also think Phil is not the type to start something special, grow it and walk away while someone else comes in and benifits from all the structure and improvements Phil has made.

To sum it up - If this team reaches the 50-55 win plateau, barring some serious health issues, I just don't see Phil walking away. He has too much talent and too many connections within the Lakers to walk away at this point. IMO Phil coaches atleast until his mid to late 60's and sees Kobe's career out like he did Jordan's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
With the way this team has responded to Phil the last 2 year, the only thing keeping Phil from re-signing would be his health.

And Jeanie Buss.
EHL_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Phil won't be around a good deal longer anyway, so hopefully the coaching staff has learned enough to succeed him successfully. Rambis? Shaw? I dunno.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:

I think the only thing standing in his way would be his health.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:

From what I understand all that is in check.

Phil and others have expressed that he (Phil) feels better now physically than he has in a long time.

Call me crazy but Phil is going nowhere anytime soon. Well, maybe Montana in the off-season...

Go Phil! Go Lakers!!

Go Lakers!
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject:

the timing of this thread is ironic.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
the timing of this thread is ironic.

Do tell . . .
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

. . . OK, I'll guess.

Let's see. Phil Jackson came back to the Lakers after being dismissed.
Has brought the Lakers out of the depths of the Lottery.
Has brought Kobe back into a trusting partnership.
Has taught a very young team a very complicated system.
Has seen EVERY one of those players learn and grow.
Is now on the verge of this team being among the elite in the NBA.
Can now see the possibility of setting coaching records, and passing Red on the Championship list.
Has an owner who has given him everything he wants - power, money, his daughter.
And now is feeling physically better than ever.

Why in the world would anyone assume he won't be back? The hardest work is done, and you can be sure that Phil wants to be coaching this team for the next parade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: