OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Who still wants the $6Million Rob lost for not pushing the trade date after 30 days of the Hunter signing?

I do.

As usual, people just go ahead and assume this was even negotiable. Likely, it wasn't (at least to the extent it wouldn't kill the whole deal), as it hurts the value of the 4th pick that NO desperately wanted to trade. If there was another way to achieve the max slot, which Rob has now done, why jeopardize the deal?

People assume that there were negotiations

Why would Atlanta, who plays in the Orlando SL as well as the Vegas, want to wait almost a month to get their guy into their program and summer league when they are a stud young team looking towards the future but will rely on team chemistry now to steal games?

Yup. There's no benefit to them to do this, only a drawback.

My concern was teams would play hardball and make it difficult to clear those deals and we'd be forced into offering up Kuzma as the sweetener.

Rob did it with a 2nd. Props to Rob but there was no way. team would wait 3 weeks/month to bring in a #4 pick.

Would have been great too get to $38 but that is so far fetched unless we heavily compensated them.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Who still wants the $6Million Rob lost for not pushing the trade date after 30 days of the Hunter signing?

I do.

As usual, people just go ahead and assume this was even negotiable. Likely, it wasn't (at least to the extent it wouldn't kill the whole deal), as it hurts the value of the 4th pick that NO desperately wanted to trade. If there was another way to achieve the max slot, which Rob has now done, why jeopardize the deal?

People assume that there were negotiations

Yes, people with common sense would assume that. Those lacking common sense don't.
xэloЯRolex
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject:

When people see our final roster construction, i'm pretty sure that perception amongst some of our fans about AD trade will drastically change...
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
There's no way you'd be Kobe's agent and not have some skills and smarts.
It depended on if that would translate to a GM role.
Some numskulls were adamant that he couldn't do the job before even letting things play out. Pathetic.

all that trash talking the last few months was BOSTON EASY COAST MEDIA that KNEW we were about to make super duper team here and they were trying to trash and scare everyone from joining.

all based on NOTHING. lol NO NEWS no information

Pelinka sucks right? why? nobody knows anything about him, not even the insiders etc. no real information about why he sucks. etc jeannie sucks, magic sucks. well... now we have AD LBJ and Kawhi. thats incredible.

and what else? Boston is DESTROYED! lololol!!!

east coast can suck it. been trashing lakers for years now. i feel like the veto era is finally over. gdit
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

If Rob can close the deals the media is reporting he will get a my vote for GM of the year.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If Rob can close the deals the media is reporting he will get a my vote for GM of the year.

I don't think that will happen, because I don't think people believe he is really doing all the heavy lifting. The AD deal was in the works when Magic was around. Kawhi didn't even want him at the meeting. Magic, Lebron and Klutch are all influencing events.

So I don't think anyone really believes Rob is the man simply because he holds the GM title. I don't minimize his contribution, but it's a group effort with a lot of cooks.

Personally, I just hope the Lakers put together a great roster. But I don't care about apportioning out credit for what happens to specific individuals, be they Rob, Jeanie, Magic, Lebron, Klutch or whoever. What's going on here is anything but a one-man show.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject:

Not super happy about missing on Wes Matthews, Austin Rivers for the minimum. Also not happy about not getting Matt Thomas either, when he killed it on our SL team a couple years back and has been one of the best shooters internationally since. But hopefully he’s got his reasons and has his plan in place for if we do/don’t get Kawhi and has been working on both while we are in limbo so he’s ready to execute as soon as he can.
xэloЯRolex
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject:

We already got Kawhi long time ago...

And we didn't miss on anybody, certain role players we couldn't afford even if we wanted and others were clearly not high on our wish list if we didn't signed them for vet minimum...

Once our crown jewel is officially signed, we will sign other players who are already lined up...
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject:

I have been skeptical about Pelinka. The first two seasons were borderline disastrous other than the LeBron signing which, as has been pointed out, he was a bystander to, and not even much of an improvement on the Jim/Mitch years, which in retrospect will be seen as this organization's all-time nadir. I also find his public persona annoying, sanctimonious, and condescending.

However, the Lakers are about to go into next season with LeBron, Kawhi and Anthony Davis. Let's not mince words: this is one of the greatest off-seasons in basketball history. Not just in Lakers history. Even just keeping it to our team, this has to rival if not surpass '96. Kobe was still a kid at that point, all potential. We're adding two of the top six or seven players in the league, and are immediately going from Western Conference doormat to odds on favorite to win the whole thing.

Whether Pelinka was the main architect of this or if it was just luck, whether Jeanie is a bimbo who relies too much on the Rambii, whether Clutch has taken over the organization (VLF's newest go-to complaint when all his other ones have been proven moot), whether Magic is still running things from the sidelines... none of it matters anymore. This front office has gone from dysfunction to redemption in a few short weeks. Even if worst case scenario things don't click on the court, or if one or more of our pieces suffer KD-like injuries, the Lakers have done exactly what you're meant to do as a sports organization: given yourself and your fans the best chance of winning a championship.

So right now they have my respect and my gratitude, and it looks like our almost decade-long irrelevance is finally coming to an end.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

"The Lakers felt like the idea that Rob Pelinka didn’t understand the cap ramifications of the Anthony Davis trade was ‘easily the dumbest’ story of the summer"

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/2/20679171/lakers-free-agency-news-rob-pelinka-understood-cap-mechanics-marshall-rader-la-times
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't think that will happen, because I don't think people believe he is really doing all the heavy lifting. The AD deal was in the works when Magic was around. Kawhi didn't even want him at the meeting. Magic, Lebron and Klutch are all influencing events.

So I don't think anyone really believes Rob is the man simply because he holds the GM title. I don't minimize his contribution, but it's a group effort with a lot of cooks.

Personally, I just hope the Lakers put together a great roster. But I don't care about apportioning out credit for what happens to specific individuals, be they Rob, Jeanie, Magic, Lebron, Klutch or whoever. What's going on here is anything but a one-man show.

Doesn't matter. He did the heavy lifting to even make this possible. If we get Kawhi it might possibly be the greatest single offseason for any team ever.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Doesn't matter. He did the heavy lifting to even make this possible. If we get Kawhi it might possibly be the greatest single offseason for any team ever.

Yup. Not ready to crown Pelinka with anything yet but if it goes down, he helped pave the way and should be credited accordingly.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Lol, anything the Lakers FO gets done this summer, they will have done DESPITE Magic... not because of him.

Even this supposed meeting that Kawhi (and/or his people) wanted with Magic... they would not have even wanted or need it, because there'd be nothing to clarify if Magic had not created the drama in the first place. If you take a poop in the middle of the street... and are then made to remove it, don't go around pretending like you did your fellow citizens a service and/or be expecting credit for removing it yourself.

That is all.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Here's the closing argument for trying to compete with a bad FO. This was an organizational defeat that we earned. Hopefully it's a wake up call. This never should have happened.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Whoops....
Guess the front office is now panicking to fill the rest of the roster.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Here's the closing argument for trying to compete with a bad FO. This was an organizational defeat that we earned. Hopefully it's a wake up call. This never should have happened.

Perfectly stated. Organizational defeat. How embarrassing.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Not a good look for Pelinka. Blind sided by the Clippers, signing Green for 15 per, and the. KCP(!?!) for 8 per? Sigh. We are in bad hands. From Jim and Mitch to an even bigger idiot in Magic to a not so impressive so far Pelinka. Hopefully Pelinka turns it around. We need him to, badly.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject:

I don't blame the front office, you can't know how a player is going to sign in free agency.

My biggest problem was with Magic blowing things up right as we were on the cusp of the end of the season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I don't blame the front office, you can't know how a player is going to sign in free agency.

My biggest problem was with Magic blowing things up right as we were on the cusp of the end of the season.

I think Jerry West knew. The Clippers knew for at least a year now.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject:

Rob is better than Mitch. He's good for how little GM experience he has. We should make the playoffs after having the worst record in the league over the past 6 seasons. That's quite an improvement.
He's just not good enough to make us favorites for a championship.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Rob is better than Mitch. He's good for how little GM experience he has. We should make the playoffs after having the worst record in the league over the past 6 seasons. That's quite an improvement.
He's just not good enough to make us favorites for a championship.

Lol no

Mitch is still better even after signing terry rozier. He's still got a better resume than rob, especially after what happened last night.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject:

We'll probably never know why Kawhi didn't sign with us, whether it be the dysfunction with Magic and overall ineptitude at the top of the FO, or something as simple as Kawhi truly not wanting to form a super team with Lebron. Most likely, it's some combination of the two. It's hard to put any of that on Rob, though. I feel he did his best given his level of experience and the resources at his disposal.

Had we just said yes to Jerry West back in 2017, though, we're probably sitting here with some trio of stars including Lebron while retaining a few of our younger players. Ah well.
JZIANNE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject:

On the bright side i think Rob paid less for a better player in AD than what the Clippers gave up for PG.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Agree. I really hope they learned a lesson.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject:

She won't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 91 of 243
Jump to: