HEAT -at- LAKERS - 1/15 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Comparisons to Haywood have always been about the athleticism and defense. Offensively, I've never cared to predict a comparison, because it's such a crap shoot. Defensively you can see at an early age what a player's development will be.

10-12 boards, 2-3 blocks per game.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Comparisons to Haywood have always been about the athleticism and defense. Offensively, I've never cared to predict a comparison, because it's such a crap shoot. Defensively you can see at an early age what a player's development will be.

If that ends up coming with 18+ points per game, we will all be quite happy.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Exactly. I always said 15/10/2.5 blks and was labelled a hater. Fans were literally scoffing at 15/10-12/2-3 blks. I mean, you put 15/10/2 alongside Kobe and Odom, and you might as well size up their rings now.

With the offense that he's shown thus far, 18+ PPG seems very doable.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
24 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Exactly. I always said 15/10/2.5 blks and was labelled a hater. Fans were literally scoffing at 15/10-12/2-3 blks. I mean, you put 15/10/2 alongside Kobe and Odom, and you might as well size up their rings now.

With the offense that he's shown thus far, 18+ PPG seems very doable.

I like his defensive upside a bit more than you, but otherwise we seem to agree. I did note that every announcer seems taken by how long he is. I think with proper training he could be a Mutumbo type. Deke is never mistaken for speedy or even graceful, and for most of his career he has not been much of a leaper. He uses that length along with timing to get a ton of blocks. The fact that he blocks without a lot of leaping saves him on fouls (and injuries). It also helps secure rebounds. I'm not predicting Bynum is going to get all the way there, but he seems to have the tools. If we ended up with 80% of Duncan and 80% of Deke, I'd call that very very scary for the rest of the league.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Cook - That's why you got the extension. I've said it to all his haters, he is instant O. Very reliable and if they use him properly he can be a very valuable role player for us.
He can and often times created instant offense in a role of coming off the bench - when LO returns. Hopefully he will develop an overall game (defense, passing, rebounds - it's acknowledged the number of boards he got in the heat game, etc.) that allows him to be on the court if his shot is not there
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks everybody -- I appreciate the kind words. My Dad is the reason I'm a lot of things (most of them good), not the least of which is an NBA and Lakers fan.

I knew a tribute from the Lakers would have meant a lot to him, and the team was very magnanimous. They even ensured I have a recording of it. They're a class organization all the way. The following is an excerpt from our communication:

"[He] has been a fan of the team since they moved to LA in 1960. My Dad and I frequently watched games together, and while he couldn't afford to take me in person very often when I was growing up, the times he was able to do so remain some of my fondest memories.

"In many ways my Dad reminded me of Chick Hearn. They were both born in 1916 in the Midwest, and came to California at approximately the same time. My Dad had the same Midwest warmth and humor, and he had the same sense of commitment and work ethic that saw Chick through 3,338 consecutive games. However they were strikingly different when it came to speaking -- while Chick could weave entire fabrics with his voice, my Dad was a man of few words. But like Chick, every word was a treasure.

"My Dad was strong, robust and fiercely independent even at the ripe old age of 90; however he suffered a debilitating stroke just after the holidays, and succumbed on January 14. While his last couple weeks were tough, he was still aware enough that we were able to spend some final quality time with him and say our goodbyes. In one of our final communications, I was able to let him know the Lakers had beaten Dallas last Sunday. He said 'good.'"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject:

My Condolences

It is always good to remember the people who were GREAT FATHERS, along with being a passionate basketball (Lakers) fan!!

Respectfully Yours,
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:

[quote="koolruningz"]Thanks DB, great recap.

Condolences to Larry, i heard them talking about Jack on the radio feed last night - nice tribute by Spero and Mychal.

Her is that audio from half time of the game...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FE832A71359558EC

Again, my condolences to the Coon family.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:

Her is that audio from half time of the game...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FE832A71359558EC

Again, my condolences to the Coon family.

Thanks very much Vic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
24 wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
Bynum was stationary on that alley-oop. IMO, the reason he can't do that more often is that he doesn't have full control of his arms, since they're so long(some might call it uncoordination.) If you try to visualize it, it's hard for him to try to guide the ball through the hoop with those long arms.

However, this should change as those arms get bigger, as the extra weight would "anchor" them to his body. Unfortunately, it's possible that they might get stiffer as well, affecting his touch in the process.

I believe this deserves the old:

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

The same thing could be said about most of your responses.

Also, it's amazing how sensitive some of the posters here are. You say something they disagree with and they try hard to nitpick about everything you say. Truly petty and pathetic.

ah, now I get the borrowed quote thing from the other thread! However, it would be hard to use an unborrowed quote, unless you were quoting yourself. And the quote above is traditionally used around here to denote something that appears to make no sense, which you might know if you weren't busy firing off a post every 15 seconds... i merely didn't get you point above, especially as relates to not having control of his arms because they are long. I have a 6-8 or 9 wingspan on a 6-4 frame and yet i can insert my key in the lock and other small tasks at fairly high speed, so I guess I don't know how length equals clumsyness, much less the whole extra weight anchoring his arms thing. As is my wont, I make such observations with as much snarky humor as I can muster. Don't take it personally, just as I am unfazed by being called pathetic by a guy with 2417 posts per day.

"Full control", "Try to visualize it," what parts of those don't you get? Imagine Bynum trying to guide an alley-oop through the hoop, which would make it easier, big and stiff(straight) arms or soft and "limby" ones?

As for the post count dig, I see you here quite often, so I guess your life must be just a tad more interesting than mine :roll:
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject:

TheProdigy wrote:
24 wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
24 wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
Bynum was stationary on that alley-oop. IMO, the reason he can't do that more often is that he doesn't have full control of his arms, since they're so long(some might call it uncoordination.) If you try to visualize it, it's hard for him to try to guide the ball through the hoop with those long arms.

However, this should change as those arms get bigger, as the extra weight would "anchor" them to his body. Unfortunately, it's possible that they might get stiffer as well, affecting his touch in the process.

I believe this deserves the old:

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

The same thing could be said about most of your responses.

Also, it's amazing how sensitive some of the posters here are. You say something they disagree with and they try hard to nitpick about everything you say. Truly petty and pathetic.

ah, now I get the borrowed quote thing from the other thread! However, it would be hard to use an unborrowed quote, unless you were quoting yourself. And the quote above is traditionally used around here to denote something that appears to make no sense, which you might know if you weren't busy firing off a post every 15 seconds... i merely didn't get you point above, especially as relates to not having control of his arms because they are long. I have a 6-8 or 9 wingspan on a 6-4 frame and yet i can insert my key in the lock and other small tasks at fairly high speed, so I guess I don't know how length equals clumsyness, much less the whole extra weight anchoring his arms thing. As is my wont, I make such observations with as much snarky humor as I can muster. Don't take it personally, just as I am unfazed by being called pathetic by a guy with 2417 posts per day.

"Full control", "Try to visualize it," what parts of those don't you get? Imagine Bynum trying to guide an alley-oop through the hoop, which would make it easier, big and stiff(straight) arms or soft and "limby" ones?

As for the post count dig, I see you here quite often, so I guess your life must be just a tad more interesting than mine :roll:

I'm not sure I want to argue with a dude who thinks about players arms in terms like "soft and 'limby'"

You are correct on the life part
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Well, touching yourself at night would qualify as interesting, but I wouldn't be too proud of that now, would I.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: