How well do we stack up against the Clippers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would win in a 7 game series right now, rosters as is
Lakers
83%
 83%  [ 204 ]
Clippers
16%
 16%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 245

bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: How well do we stack up against the Clippers?

The Clippers will likely be our biggest Western Conference threat this year. Although I think we may beat them out for seeding, given that Kawhi will likely still load management and Paul George will miss some games recovering from surgery, in the playoffs, HC won't matter at all against them. Here's how I think we stack up...

Been thinking about the Clippers and they might be the best team in the NBA provided George/Kawhi don't miss too many games.

PG: Beverly
SG: Shamet
SG: George
PF: Leonard
C: Harrell
6th man: Williams

That's 3 top defensive players, with the other two not being terrible. Several tough guys who hustle. Elite 3 point shooting across the board. And a sixth man who single handedly kept them competitive against GSW last playoffs.

I like our team, but I'm not sure we can match that.

PG: Rondo/Cook?
SG: Green
SF: James
PF: Davis
C: McGee
6th man: Kuzma

The spacing there is going to be off. Rondo, Davis, and McGee can't shoot. LeBron and Davis will run a great PnR but defenders will willingly sag off Rondo and McGee to help out, crowding the paint. Defensively, Rondo is now a matador, and James and Green have declined in that area too. I like our team to be top 3 in the West, but I'm not sure they could outlast the Clippers in a 7 game series at this point...

I think the slower game that we will have to play might play right into the Clippers hands. With Kawhi/George on the perimeter, LeBron and Kuzma will have a hard time. AD will do well down low, but Harrell is no slouch there either. We're also going to rely heavily on LeBron to create, especially if we play Quinn Cook at guard, and I'm not sure how much he can do at 35.

In contrast, the Clippers run a lot of pistol action, and Leonard was elite doing this on the Raptors. If he has George in the play, the defense will have to make some difficult decisions. They also have a lot of firepower in Lou Williams that we might have trouble matching. I think we absolutely need 2 more defensive wings on this roster, and should play this as our closing lineup...

PG: Cook
SG: Green
SF: Iguodala (or defensive SF)
PF: James
C: Davis

If possible, I'd like to replace Cook with a more switchable 3/D player as well. Perhaps we should look into Jonathan Simmons.

What do you guys think? How do we best the Clippers in a 7 game series?
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject:

I don't know, but I guess it is an advantage to have 7 games at home
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject:

It’s a toss up. I’d probly bet on us if we had Iggy
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject:

The Clippers have 5 good players, (2 stars and 3 role players) on their roster. Everyone else is replacement level or below. I don't know where this talk of their crazy depth is coming from.

You can't just discount Gallinari's 20ppg and the 55 games they got from Tobias Harris when factoring in the success that team had last year and say "That's just adding two superstars to that team without subtracting anything". And that's not counting the loss of solid contributors like JaMychal Green and SGA.

The Clippers were last year's 2018 Boston Celtics. A group of glorified role players playing out of their minds overachieving and thinking they're going to add two stars and run the table the next year. Lou Williams was their closer, and was one of the best in the league last year. Is he going to be as effective playing off ball in crunch time? Is he even worth putting on the floor as a defensive liability if the offense isn't being run through him?

The fact that they're even being considered to be in the same breath as a team that has LeBron James and Anthony Davis is absolutely absurd to me. If you asked anyone last year, LeBron James and Anthony Davis with 3 stiffs from the YMCA was going to challenge the Warriors with KD. Now everyone's saying that LeBron James and Anthony Davis with Kuzma, Danny Green, and DeMarcus Cousins a whole 2nd year back from his recovery, and a team full of shooters is going to have trouble against Paul George coming off both shoulder surgeries, a permanently load-managed Kawhi Leonard, and 3 solid role players? Are you (bleep) kidding me?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: How well do we stack up against the Clippers?

bfc1125roy wrote:

On Defense:
LeBron vs PatBev
KCP vs Shamet
Green vs Kawhi
Kuzma vs George
AD vs Harrell
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: How well do we stack up against the Clippers?

LAL1947 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

On Defense:
LeBron vs PatBev
KCP vs Shamet
Green vs Kawhi
Kuzma vs George
AD vs Harrell

those wing matchups will sink us. Green is a team defender not a stopper. we need Iggy
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: How well do we stack up against the Clippers?

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

On Defense:
LeBron vs PatBev
KCP vs Shamet
Green vs Kawhi
Kuzma vs George
AD vs Harrell

those wing matchups will sink us. Green is a team defender not a stopper. we need Iggy

Iggy is playing on one leg right now. I hope we can keep him healthy.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: How well do we stack up against the Clippers?

bfc1125roy wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

On Defense:
LeBron vs PatBev
KCP vs Shamet
Green vs Kawhi
Kuzma vs George
AD vs Harrell

because of a calf strain? he's gotta be a 20mpg or less regular season, and bump to 23-25mpg in playoffs; and those minutes will be valuable defensively
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: How well do we stack up against the Clippers?

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

On Defense:
LeBron vs PatBev
KCP vs Shamet
Green vs Kawhi
Kuzma vs George
AD vs Harrell

No offense intended, I think you should wait to see what Vogel/Kidd/Hollins have in plan for the defense instead of thinking you already know what will happen, how we will play and what schemes/matchups we will use, and who will get crushed.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: How well do we stack up against the Clippers?

bfc1125roy wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

On Defense:
LeBron vs PatBev
KCP vs Shamet
Green vs Kawhi
Kuzma vs George
AD vs Harrell

Agree that Iggy puts us over the top. Load manage him the whole season and save him for the playoffs. Playoff LeBron + Playoff Rondo + AD/Cousins/Iggy/Green will overwhelm any team.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
The Clippers have 5 good players, (2 stars and 3 role players) on their roster. Everyone else is replacement level or below. I don't know where this talk of their crazy depth is coming from.

You can't just discount Gallinari's 20ppg and the 55 games they got from Tobias Harris when factoring in the success that team had last year and say "That's just adding two superstars to that team without subtracting anything". And that's not counting the loss of solid contributors like JaMychal Green and SGA.

The Clippers were last year's 2018 Boston Celtics. A group of glorified role players playing out of their minds overachieving and thinking they're going to add two stars and run the table the next year. Lou Williams was their closer, and was one of the best in the league last year. Is he going to be as effective playing off ball in crunch time? Is he even worth putting on the floor as a defensive liability if the offense isn't being run through him?

The fact that they're even being considered to be in the same breath as a team that has LeBron James and Anthony Davis is absolutely absurd to me. If you asked anyone last year, LeBron James and Anthony Davis with 3 stiffs from the YMCA was going to challenge the Warriors with KD. Now everyone's saying that LeBron James and Anthony Davis with Kuzma, Danny Green, and DeMarcus Cousins a whole 2nd year back from his recovery, and a team full of shooters is going to have trouble against Paul George coming off both shoulder surgeries, a permanently load-managed Kawhi Leonard, and 3 solid role players? Are you (bleep) kidding me?

Damn, Awntawn, even I feel emasculated by this reply and it wasn't even directed to me.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:

Damn, Awntawn, I feel emasculated by this post and it wasn't even directed to me. I cleaned my room after reading this.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject:

They currently have the best healthy player in the NBA, who is already one of the greatest two-way players ever (and a robot from the future), with another also who's one of the NBA's best two way players. We'll have a hard time scoring on that team and we only have one elite defender in AD. They also have the better bench by far and better free throw shooters for close games. Clippers would beat us silly today in a 4-0 sweep. Hoping that Boogie fully recovers since we'll need him to give us a chance.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject:

Clips don't have anyone who can make plays for others, their highest assist guy is Lou at 5 assists a game. And their bigs are 6"8 Harrell and Zubac, while we have Davis, Boogie, and McGee. That is BBQ Chicken all day.
BK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject:

You are forgetting Harkless, a great defensive player on his own. We need Iggy badly since right now it's advantages Clippers for me. And never doubt the logo. Watch he makes another crazy move this year, like getting Beal or something. As we find out time and time again, West is capable of this and much more. We can't be complacent.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject:

Leonard and Paul George would probably lock up a 35 year old Lebron, we seriously need to trade some of our role players for a top point guard or we will get swept.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject:

BK wrote:
You are forgetting Harkless, a great defensive player on his own. We need Iggy badly since right now it's advantages Clippers for me. And never doubt the logo. Watch he makes another crazy move this year, like getting Beal or something. As we find out time and time again, West is capable of this and much more. We can't be complacent.

Because there is nothing to remember, Harkless was 5th on his own team for Defensive wins shares, and gave up an average of 23 points in the paint in 23 minutes, heck Al-Farouq Aminu was a better defender than him.

His 6"9 self isn't going to even stop McGee, let alone AD.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Leonard and Paul George would probably lock up a 35 year old Lebron, we seriously need to trade some of our role players for a top point guard or we will get swept.

No body is locking up leBron, nobody, but we don't even need him to carry the offensive load against the Clips in a series. Just get ball down low to AD/Boogie/McGee and get our shooters open looks.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject:

AD is far superior to Paul George. LeBron is going to remind everyone that he is superior to Kawhiet. The supporting cast on the Lakers is solid this year, but I think the biggest factor is that LeBron and AD is a far superior duo to PG13 and Kawhiet.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject:

Lakers 3rd, Clippers 6th in FiveThirtyEight’s projections for next season.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nba-free-agency-diary-how-good-are-kawhis-clippers/
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:

I've been saying this. People seem to forget about Tobias Harris being there for majority of the season and Gallo's career year in pts and rebounds while shooting 43% from 3. They're also losing SGA.

Kawhi won't be able to load manage in the west. He'll be carrying a higher load during the season and won't be as fresh come playoff time.

Lou Williams is overrated. He's still a chucker and a piss poor defender but he does get to the line a lot.

Between Bron, AD, Cousins and Kuz I think we have more firepower than them and will have an easier route to the playoffs.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject:

Gallinari posted 19.8 pts, 6 reb in the playoff last year. Losing him is big.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject:

They have not a single player who can pass the ball at a high level or initiate an offense, and no big that can defend. The new car smell of the PG/KL signing will wear off and people will realize just how deeply flawed their roster is.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
They have not a single player who can pass the ball at a high level or initiate an offense, and no big that can defend. The new car smell of the PG/KL signing will wear off and people will realize just how deeply flawed their roster is.
. The Clippers are toast.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

I have always been a firm believer that good defensive teams are good because of proper schemes and coaching as opposed to individual player talent.

If this team is anything like Vogel’s Pacers were than I feel we will be the best team in the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18
Jump to: