How getting Lebron cost this franchise multiple championships
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: How getting Lebron cost this franchise multiple championships

This isn't a Lebron bash thread. All the power to Lebron, his career and his future with us.

This isn't a Jeanie/Rob/Magic bash thread either. Although they clearly made a bunch of mistakes - a lot of idiots felt that getting Lebron was a great move for this franchise. So I'm not going to completely bash them and I really don't need to because it is evident that our FO is a huge mess. Maybe AD and LBJ will be enough to bring us a ring but it's going to be difficult when it never had to be.

The plan going into last year was very simple. This is exactly what I would have done and SHOULD have been done. Now a lot of you will say "well how do you know x would have come here" or "you can't say we would still get x without x". But the writing is on the wall. This team was possible and we had all the tools to get it done.

So how did we mess this up?

Jeanie/Magic/Rob went after Lebron. Going into the offseason there were murmurs that Lebron was the #1 FA and the #1 guy the Lakers wanted along with another superstar. We thought we were getting Lebron & PG. We only got Lebron. I believe we should have never gone after Lebron. His needs and age just did not match up or align with our team.

Soon as we signed Lebron - PG decides to stay in OKC. I don't care what anyone says, PG stayed with OKC because he did not want to be a part of the Lebron parade. Not many players do. A lot of people were bashing PG but I put no blame on him for choosing OKC. He rather prove to everyone he is the man on OKC (which he was this year) rather than play second fiddle to Lebron. The Kawhi rumours were already under way...

Here's what you do if you're the Lakers.

It's obvious certain guys DON'T want to play with LBJ. One of them was Kawhi - this was made obvious last year when he said he doesn't want to play w Lebron he wants to BEAT Lebron.

You sign PG - ignore Lebron. Let the 34 year attention whore go somewhere else.

You whiff on Kawhi trade because of Pop's demands but understand KL is coming next year to play for the Lakers.

Mid-season you do the AD trade - or wait it out like you did this till this summer.

We trade for AD this summer - KL signs with us and we had PG from the year prior.

AD
PG
KL

3 of the best two way players the game has to offer and all under 30. Game - set - match.

THis combo is MUCH better than LBJ/KL/AD and wins for years to come.

Instead we have AD/LBJ. Big difference. This was an easy slam dunk for us but we screwed it up by going after the biggest name in Lebron James.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

The NBA is a business.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
The NBA is a business.

Winning multiple rings makes more $ than not winning multiple rings..
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Can I borrow your time machine? Need those powerball numbers.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject:

1) When the best player in the league (especially at that time) wants to come to your team, you sign him. No questions asked.

2) In all likelihood AD would not be a Laker if it weren’t for LeBron. You’re forgetting the whole Rich Paul, Klutch angle.

LeBron still has it. As the great YSong would say...RELAX 💯
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

I see no lies...

People said he was infatuated with Westbrook... that clearly wasn't true

Kawhi and PG clearly wanted to play together.

AD clearly has no problem playing with Kawhi.

I think the main problem with your plan was when AD signed with Klutch... then he became essentially LBJ's employee.

But had we even gone with the PG and Kawhi plan... we could have at least had those two with some of the core and kept some draft picks.

It's why you don't burn bridges with huge agents.

Hubris... arrogance... all came back to bite us in the ass.

We still have a good team this year... but it's the future that's going to be difficult.

Hopefully we win... that attracts a few ring chasers and maybe gets Cousins to stay.

But LBJ definitely is not an elite FA magnet... and I think Kawhi or PG would have had an easier time getting others to play with them.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
The NBA is a business.

Winning multiple rings makes more $ than not winning multiple rings..

The Kobe’s and MJs winning at all cost are gone my friend. It’s all about building your brand. Our star player is doing a tv show and a movie instead of working on free throws. And on the Lakers side, they’re still the biggest brand in the NBA, as crappy as we’ve been, so adding the most marketable star since Jordan? No brainer. I wish it still was, I do, and I’m not that old. It’s just the reality.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Easy to look back and imagine things played out this way... maybe they do. I'd say most everyone here would easily do that if it was a given this was the outcome.

Few things to note: PG signed with OKC before LeBron ever committed. LBJ was in discussion to go to Philly, Houston, or Lakers. PG was assumed to come to LA and that LeBron would only come here if PG came. Instead George started filing a docuseries about his decision to stay in OKC days before FA started. LBJ came on his own.

The management angle- it might be possible that nobody wanted to come the the Lakers with Jeanie and Rob at the help. Maybe Kawhi and PG still prefer the Clippers and their organizational structure. That's an angle that should be considered.

LeBron wasn't just the biggest name-- he was the best player in the NBA while Nobody thought LeBron would get injured this year and cause us to skid out of the playoffs.

Kawhi's injury was a major concern.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

You can’t predict the future. Who would thought Kawhi turn out to be such a snake?
Had the Lakers got lucky and got number 1 pick, I think that alone would be enough for AD, but things don’t work like that
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How getting Lebron cost this franchise multiple championships

Snipes wrote:

We trade for AD this summer - KL signs with us and we had PG from the year prior.

AD
PG
KL

3 of the best two way players the game has to offer and all under 30. Game - set - match.

Yeah, that's one possible woulda-coulda-shoulda scenario. But there are lots of other woulda-coulda-shoulda scenarios that could have happened, and maybe yours is wrong. We'll never know one way or the other, so why get worked up about make-believe?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

PG13 seems to choke when closing out games in playoffs, have serious doubts how far he could take BI-Zo-Kuz when he failed in Indiana and OkC.

As for Lebron, Ballmer would’ve tried every trick in the book to get Lebron to the Clippers, wonder how it would feel if the other side got him and then got AD to sign there as a Klutch client?

Sure KL wouldn’t want to join a Clipper LB/AD scenario so maybe he’d come here, but within the same time frame, the idea of multiple championships lost doesn’t seem to ring true.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
You can’t predict the future. Who would thought Kawhi turn out to be such a snake?
Had the Lakers got lucky and got number 1 pick, I think that alone would be enough for AD, but things don’t work like that

Look I'm rooting against Kawhi and PG with all my might... but the entire year everyone thought he was going to the Clippers.

The engineered narrative came only at the very end of the season and we all bought into the hype... myself included.

It was reported Kawhi was trying to get agents to come.

He didn't hide that fact.

Once Jimmy signed with Miami... we all assumed we had the edge.

We were all so blinded with excitement we didn't put together the obvious which was the delay meant he was still trying to work for the second elite.

Didn't help all the fake insider comments all over the net saying he was coming here.

Blame fake posters, blame your own naive hope... but Kawhi isn't evil

I want him to fail as a Lakers fan... but let's not get it twisted.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

P & M
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Look I'm rooting against Kawhi and PG with all my might... but the entire year everyone thought he was going to the Clippers.

The engineered narrative came only at the very end of the season and we all bought into the hype... myself included.

We were all so blinded with excitement we didn't put together the obvious which was the delay meant he was still trying to work for the second elite.

Didn't help all the fake insider comments all over the net saying he was coming here.

Agreed.

I think he is a guy that wants to win being “the man.” Bring the dippers their first title like Toronto. Not gonna happen #2.

As far as the insiders, what happened to that Ysing dude? Lol. Sounds like that X or z guy from Carmelo days when we wanted him.

All said I hate that he didn’t come but f it.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Agreed.

I think he is a guy that wants to win being “the man.” Bring the dippers their first title like Toronto. Not gonna happen #2.

As far as the insiders, what happened to that Ysing dude? Lol. Sounds like that X or z guy from Carmelo days when we wanted him.

All said I hate that he didn’t come but f it.

Also Rob had everyone lined up... so he knew there was a good chance that Kawhi wasn't coming.

I was fooled like the rest of you... but we shouldn't have been.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject:

lol sometimes I think a knicks like team would do better for you guys. still looking for that star because they couldnt get that first on. Lebron hurt us. Talk about spoiled. go cry that we got Lebron and AD. this is comical. Kawhi demanded Paul George and the Clippers paid much more than we did for AD. Go become Clipper fans

Last edited by Nnamdi21 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Omg you spoiled little baby dude,

lock thread, and go to the P&M
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
lol sometimes I think a knicks like team would do you guys better. Lebron hurt us. Talk about spoiled. go cry that we got Lebron and AD. this is comical.

Your career after Oakland was comical.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
lol sometimes I think a knicks like team would do you guys better. Lebron hurt us. Talk about spoiled. go cry that we got Lebron and AD. this is comical.

You gonna keep crying that you never got 3 stars and Kawhi fooled you? Spoiled ass
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

You gonna keep crying that you never got 3 stars and Kawhi fooled you? Spoiled ass

Yes
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

Yes

good.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject:

Hindsight. Time machines. Lotto numbers.

People are so predictable.

Instead of admitting you were wrong, hand wave it away by saying one had to predict the future to see this outcome.

No...I, and many others on here didn't want LeBron for this very reason. Well, I didn't want him for many reasons, chief among them is that the two stars that requested trades here before he signed would not want to play with him.

Our focus was PG. Then suddenly LeBron wants to sign here and we're asking PG to be second fiddle. Then Kawhi wants to be traded here and we're asking PG to be third banana. (bleep) hilarious the disrespect. He wanted to come here when we were a 20 win team. He wanted to be the guy that lead us back to glory.

LeBron just wants to be a billionaire.

No LA ties, no nothing. Passed up on signing with better teams. It's obvious why he signed here. So he could use our massive fan base to become a billionaire.

This could have been our squad.

Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/Ingram/Kuz/Hart

Present and future.

Now? Lonzo - gone. Hart - gone. Ingram - gone. Walton - gone.

You didn't need a crystal ball to know LeBron was going to trade all the young players away and get the coach fired.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject:

I wasn't accepting anything but the two max and grow with kids plan. Bron/PG13 and keep all our kids. But I'm realizing that was never the vision of Maginka. They wanted the two max as well as trade the kids for AD. I'm honestly tired of pissing, moaning and complaining when it makes absolutely NO EFFING difference. LOL! I would be in the middle of a rant, and I would catch myself and say to myself, "Get a freaking life," and I wouldn't hit the submit post button. LOL! Pointless, useless. At the end of the day, buy the Lakers and you can run it anyway you like. Don't have the money? Well then find another team if you disagree with them so much. Ultimately, I do not disagree with them enough to the point of jumping ship after 30+ yrs.

We have a contending team this year, and I'm all positive energy from now on.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Can I borrow your time machine? Need those powerball numbers.

I don't see this as that. The exact vision I and some others had was PG + KL (when the rumours started) + AD or LBJ. LBJ was the guy nobody wanted to play with so he was the easy odd man out. Oh he's also 6-7 years older than the rest of the guys.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Hindsight. Time machines. Lotto numbers.

People are so predictable.

Instead of admitting you were wrong, hand wave it away by saying one had to predict the future to see this outcome.

No...I, and many others on here didn't want LeBron for this very reason. Well, I didn't want him for many reasons, chief among them is that the two stars that requested trades here before he signed would not want to play with him.

Our focus was PG. Then suddenly LeBron wants to sign here and we're asking PG to be second fiddle. Then Kawhi wants to be traded here and we're asking PG to be third banana. (bleep) hilarious the disrespect. He wanted to come here when we were a 20 win team. He wanted to be the guy that lead us back to glory.

LeBron just wants to be a billionaire.

No LA ties, no nothing. Passed up on signing with better teams. It's obvious why he signed here. So he could use our massive fan base to become a billionaire.

This could have been our squad.

Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/Ingram/Kuz/Hart

Present and future.

Now? Lonzo - gone. Hart - gone. Ingram - gone. Walton - gone.

You didn't need a crystal ball to know LeBron was going to trade all the young players away and get the coach fired.

Sums it up quite nicely.

Not trying to P&M I am still very happy. We are a contender again..I just think the dynasty was handed to us and we blew it. All good. (bleep) happens.

Also I don't buy the Klutch angle. AD could sign here next year regardless his agent. If he wanted LA he would come to LA..what would RP do..block the move? LOL.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: