Dammit, I like our team!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rst08tierney wrote:
Why is Kuzma being so overlooked as an asset on this team?

No defense and no rebounding

Yet.

Took 6 treys a game and shot worse than Lonzo. That's unacceptable. If he can improve upon that, too, by all means, Kuz. If not, he shouldn't have the green light to chuck that Walton gave him.

Nice sig
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

[quote="Kobe_Is_King13"]
unleasHell wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
As is, the Lakers are the 6th seed and an injury away from missing the playoffs.

Denver, Utah, Clippers, Houston, Portland are all currently better.

A lot of Teams are one injury away from missing the playoffs, how far will the Clippers go if Kawhi goes down?

How about the Warriors if Steph goes down?

The Rockets, if Hardin goes down?

The Nets if Irving goes down...

Yes, all teams are basically one significant injury (3+ months out) are from missing the playoffs.

My concern with the Lakers team right now is because we have 1 perimeter creator, we are a Lebron 2 week injury away from missing the playoffs. There is really no one else on the roster that can fill that hole of perimeter creator.

All the other teams in the west won't be in the hole because they have multiple high-level ball handlers / creators.

Harden/CP3
Kawhi/PG13/Lou
Lillard / McCollum
Steph / Dlo
Conley / Mitchell
Murray/ Barton / (Jokic even).
Irving/Levert/Dinwiddie

What are you considering a "creator"??

Rondo creates, Kuzma creates basically as much as Kawhi. As far as creating assists go we're ahead of the Clippers easily Rondo > Lou, Bron > PG, Kawhi = Kuz.

If you're talking about creating scoring opportunities for them selves, I get that But we have guys that like AD and Boogie that are great post passers as well as guys like Green, Cook, Daniels and Dudley who are all 40% shooters from 3.

As long as our system is designed to playthrough the post and off PnR we'll be a very good team. Our half court offense should be very good.

Agree with this. This is why I said we're a throwback of the old inside-out teams. Dump it inside to AD/Cousins/Lebron, they're all great passers, and then get some weakside movement to create dives to the basket or open 3's.

If it's not there let Lebron or Rondo set up the pick 'n roll. They both have elite court vision. Rondo is much better when he has lob threats and shooters. He can't create his own shot at this point of his career but he's still an elite passer.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Rondo gave it all until the Godfather offer... so I'm going to excuse his second half play. Just because he's not a robot who conforms to fan's expectations, doesn't mean he's garbage either.

I think people are talking about two sides of the same coin. Most people seem to agree that Rondo did not play well last year. The best-guess answers to the question of why he played so poorly is what is really being argued here. There are some who think that the 2018-19 is indicative that it is time for Rondo to move on--if he plays this poorly again in 2019-20 it will keep the Lakers from being as competitive as we hope. There are others who think that Rondo just gave up last season and that he is capable of playing much better. Every Laker fan would love for Rondo to have an all-star type season next year. I can't imagine most Laker fans really wanting the 2018-19 Rondo to reappear in 2019-20. Until we see which Rondo comes to play next year, I think it is very fair to point out that pg is currently the weakest position on the Lakers' roster.

--Anonymous
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If getting 8 assists playing less than 30 minutes with a assist turnover ratio ranging between 2 to 1 and 3 to 1 was so easy...

Why doesn't every mediocre point guard produce these numbers?

I get advanced analytics have value... I get that Rondo shut down for part of last season... but that team was treated like garbage by all accounts.

Do you all work your hardest when your bosses treat you like sh*t?

Rondo gave it all until the Godfather offer... so I'm going to excuse his second half play. Just because he's not a robot who conforms to fan's expectations, doesn't mean he's garbage either.

Field goal percentage... points... rebounds... dimes... all of these basics have value.

I can quote hipster stats of month that have fallen into vogue with the rest of some of you but it doesn't make them gospel.

Getting 8 assists on a poor shooting team with a better than 2 to 1 ratio is still an accomplishment.

He shot his 3 ball 6% better than our young anointed one Kuzma.

Rondo can pass... he's smart... even his shot has improved.

Let's see what happens this season... I want us to develop Caruso and Cook

but Rondo will be very valuable during the playoffs.

You make some good points though you neglected to reference his defense or lack thereof, except indirectly. It is hard to determine which stats are the best indicators, but I think what might be telling for him is to compare his numbers of last year to the year prior--last year on top.

Code:
 ORPM    DRPM     RPM    WINS    PER    WS/48
-2.18   -1.38   -3.56   -0.39    15.3   .101

-0.60   -0.37   -0.97    2.46    12.1   .047

With AD and Boogie, he put up much better numbers. Not good, but decent to average-ish. With LeBron in the mix with AD and Boogie, he most certainly should exceed his oRPM numbers of both years and could equal, or approach his dRPM numbers from his 17/18 numbers. I don't think a PER of ~15 or a WS/48 of ~.100+ are unreasonable expectations. That he shot ~36% from the three his last four years does not make him a liability as you suggested. And yes, he is still one of the best play-makers out there. Only maybe Westbrook and Harden truly exceed him, though there are many at about his level.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I think people are talking about two sides of the same coin. Most people seem to agree that Rondo did not play well last year. The best-guess answers to the question of why he played so poorly is what is really being argued here. There are some who think that the 2018-19 is indicative that it is time for Rondo to move on--if he plays this poorly again in 2019-20 it will keep the Lakers from being as competitive as we hope. There are others who think that Rondo just gave up last season and that he is capable of playing much better. Every Laker fan would love for Rondo to have an all-star type season next year. I can't imagine any Laker fan really wanting the 2018-19 Rondo to reappear in 2019-20. Until we see which Rondo comes to play next year, I think it is very fair to point out that pg is currently the weakest position on the Lakers' roster.

If Rondo gets pissed at the team and tanks... Yes, he's a terrible cancer that could destroy the team.

People keep pointing out advanced analytics, but they forget he's a champion who was on the all defensive team four times... he still is ranked 10th out of all point guards who have played the game in assists per game... he still got 8 assists with a better than 2 to 1 ratio on the 29th worst shooting team from distance in the league.

How many Rondo and Lonzo dimes did we see get bricked into oblivion?

Tony Parker during his Hall of Fame career never averaged as many assists as Rondo did playing part time and disgruntled. He never exceeded the number of steals that Rondo averaged playing half ass... even in his prime.

Chris Paul is getting paid 40 million to produce the same number of assists as Rondo... and Rondo shot the 3 ball better than Chris did last season... yet we are complaining about paying him the minimum!

Chris played more minutes on a better shooting team and Rondo produced the same amount of assists as Rondo did.

I can't believe how ungrateful the fans are because of some new fangled stats that didn't exist a few years ago.

Does that mean the stats have zero value?

Of course not... but denying basic stats is silly also.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Lebron made a joke team into a 4th seed team that was destroyed by injuries and Magic Johnson. Now we have a far better team with people that know how to shoot and (bleep) AD. We are contenders.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rst08tierney wrote:

Yet.

Took 6 treys a game and shot worse than Lonzo. That's unacceptable. If he can improve upon that, too, by all means, Kuz. If not, he shouldn't have the green light to chuck that Walton gave him.

75.2% on free throws. No comparison whatsoever to Lonzo "18.7% worse FT% than Howard" Ball.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
If getting 8 assists playing less than 30 minutes with a assist turnover ratio ranging between 2 to 1 and 3 to 1 was so easy...

Why doesn't every mediocre point guard produce these numbers?

I get advanced analytics have value... I get that Rondo shut down for part of last season... but that team was treated like garbage by all accounts.

Do you all work your hardest when your bosses treat you like sh*t?

Field goal percentage... points... rebounds... dimes... all of these basics have value.

I can quote hipster stats of month that have fallen into vogue with the rest of some of you but it doesn't make them gospel.

Getting 8 assists on a poor shooting team with a better than 2 to 1 ratio is still an accomplishment.

He shot his 3 ball 6% better than our young anointed one Kuzma.

Rondo can pass... he's smart... even his shot has improved.

Let's see what happens this season... I want us to develop Caruso and Cook

but Rondo will be very valuable during the playoffs.

You make some good points though you neglected to reference his defense or lack thereof, except indirectly. It is hard to determine which stats are the best indicators, but I think what might be telling for him is to compare his numbers of last year to the year prior--last year on top.

Code:
 ORPM    DRPM     RPM    WINS    PER    WS/48
-2.18   -1.38   -3.56   -0.39    15.3   .101

-0.60   -0.37   -0.97    2.46    12.1   .047

With AD and Boogie, he put up much better numbers. Not good, but decent to average-ish. With LeBron in the mix with AD and Boogie, he most certainly should exceed his oRPM numbers of both years and could equal, or approach his dRPM numbers from his 17/18 numbers. I don't think a PER of ~15 or a WS/48 of ~.100+ are unreasonable expectations. That he shot ~36% from the three his last four years does not make him a liability as you suggested. And yes, he is still one of the best play-makers out there. Only maybe Westbrook and Harden truly exceed him, though there are many at about his level.

This is an example of a skeptical but reasonable take on Rondo.

Fair but concerned... I can live with this type of analysis.

What I can't live with is pointing to some new controversial stat and proclaiming him garbage.

Or even worse... people hear some stupid analyst or some other secondhand person declare Rondo is garbage and then start parroting that opinion when they clearly don't understand what's going on.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

LeBron-AD can be Kobe-Pau 1-2 punch and I actually think this team has better 3 pt shooters than Kobe’s but who’s that all around Swiss army guy Odom, can the combo if Kuz/Green be that offense/defense/push ball/rebound?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If Rondo gets pissed at the team and tanks... Yes, he's a terrible cancer that could destroy the team.

People keep pointing out advanced analytics, but they forget he's a champion who was on the all defensive team four times... he still is ranked 10th out of all point guards who have played the game in assists per game... he still got 8 assists with a better than 2 to 1 ratio on the 29th worst shooting team from distance in the league.

Tony Parker during his Hall of Fame career never averaged as many assists as Rondo did playing part time and disgruntled. He never exceeded the number of steals that Rondo averaged playing half ass... even in his prime.

Chris Paul is getting paid 40 million to produce the same number of assists as Rondo... and Rondo shot the 3 ball better than Chris did last season... yet we are complaining about paying him the minimum!

Chris played more minutes on a better shooting team and Rondo produced the same amount of assists as Rondo did.

I can't believe how ungrateful the fans are because of some newfangled stats that didn't exist a few years ago.

And your point of view is that last year, even though Rondo was paid $9 million to be a professional basketball player, he did not act professionally and gave up on the team. For most of us, a $9 million salary would keep us inspired and motivated for all 82 games--which is why many fans are unsure of what to expect from Rondo next season. Essentially, Rondo needs to earn the trust of Lakers fans. When he does, the fans will quickly rally around him--and be particularly happy that he has exceeded expectations.

Father Time eventually wins the battle with all NBA players. Expecting Rondo to return to a form of a couple of years ago is probably too optimistic. Expecting him to continue his downhill slide is probably more realistic.

I hope that I am wrong. Go Lakers!

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I can't believe how ungrateful the fans are because of some new fangled stats that didn't exist a few years ago.

And your point of view is that last year, even though Rondo was paid $9 million to be a professional basketball player, he did not act professionally and gave up on the team. For most of us, a $9 million salary would keep us inspired and motivated for all 82 games--which is why many fans are unsure of what to expect from Rondo next season. Essentially, Rondo needs to earn the trust of Lakers fans. When he does, the fans will quickly rally around him--and be particularly happy that he has exceeded expectations.

Father Time eventually wins the battle with all NBA players. Expecting Rondo to return to a form of a couple of years ago is probably too optimistic. Expecting him to continue his downhill slide is probably more realistic.

He's younger than LBJ and has always played with brains over pure athleticism.

I don't get why LBJ is supposed to be good for four more years... but Rondo is done.

He should have tried harder this year... but management gave up on the team... LBJ even sat out part of the season.

Rondo played out the season... he's no worse than anyone else was on that team in terms of professionalism.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

I'm glad the "I like our team" thread does indeed have folks who like our team... for the most part.

IMO, it looks, on paper, better than last year's team. And I'll use the broken record: we were #4 (a couple of games out of the #1 seed last year) before Lebron's crotch got hurt.

The only thing I see as an issue is that it may take some time to gel. New coaching staff. New system. New players. But besides that, I'm liking our squad.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

I like our new Lakers team. There is talent, just need to hope the new coach can get them working together.

I kind of wonder...So we didn't get Kawhi. Everyone seemed against the other Max FAs. Butler, too old. DLO, gonna be over valued.....I really wanted Danny Green and we got him. Boogie was icing on the cake if he can get into decent shape and at least hit his shots, rebound and protect the key.

I think we picked up a lot of good players...think about the garbage they signed last season: Beasley, Lance....and we had a bunch of young guys who couldn't shoot, not even free throws! I'll miss Lonzo's defense but not his bricks. And we had a horrible coach!

If Kuzma can fix his shot, watch out!

All we need is Iggy now!
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

I don't get why LBJ is supposed to be good for four more years... but Rondo is done.

He should have tried harder this year... but management gave up on the team... LBJ even sat out part of the season.

Rondo played out the season... he's no worse than anyone else was on that team in terms of professionalism.
Players' skills and games age at different rates. The newfangled analytics seem to indicate that LBJ is still one of the best players on the court--when he is on the court. The same is not true for Rondo. ESPN RPM ranked LBJ as the #2 small forward(link) while it ranked Rondo as the #88 pg out of 97 (link).

If Rondo could make it back to being a top 30 pg next year, I think most Lakers fans would be at least marginally happy.

I think the Lakers are going to be a fun team next year. I like how management quickly found some good players after the KL disappointment. Still, that pg position looks awfully weak. I hope some players step up.

--Anonymous
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Players' skills and games age at different rates. The newfangled analytics seem to indicate that LBJ is still one of the best players on the court--when he is on the court. The same is not true for Rondo. ESPN RPM ranked LBJ as the #2 small forward(link) while it ranked Rondo as the #88 pg out of 97 (link).

If Rondo could make it back to being a top 30 pg next year, I think most Lakers fans would be at least marginally happy.

I think the Lakers are going to be a fun team next year. I like how management quickly found some good players after the KL disappointment. Still, that pg position looks awfully weak. I hope some players step up.

If Rondo rises to top 30... it shows you the inefficiency of the statistic as an individual stat.

It would indicate that the stat is very dependent on team success so in many ways... a chicken or the egg type debate.

The important stat is winning... and I think having a true facilitator other than LBJ will maximize the efficiency of our new shooters... AD... DMC.

If we didn't have Rondo and Boogie... I don't think we get very far this year. A lot depends on their effort and effectiveness.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Why is the general consensus around here that McGee gets the starting nod over DMC?

DMC will have the entire summer here to rehab his quad and achilles and get himself in better shape. This is a huge contract year for him so I imagine he'll make that top priority.

McGee doesn't really provide spacing and one of the biggest assets he brought to the lineup last year was his roll gravity in pick and rolls but we have AD this year, making McGee kind of redundant. I like the idea of bringing in McGee off the bench to spell DMC/AD and injecting some energy on both sides of the court.

I know Boogie didn't necessarily shoot the ball very well last year but he is still a capable shooter who can hit the 3 and is more than capable of hitting the 15 footer. He fits much better in the starting lineup IMO

If it was up to me my starting lineup would be:

G: Avery Bradley
G: Danny Green
F: LeBron James
F: Anthony Davis
C: DeMarcus Cousins
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If Rondo rises to top 30... it shows you the inefficiency of the statistic as an individual stat.

It would indicate that the stat is very dependent on team success so in many ways... a chicken or the egg type debate.

The important stat is winning... and I think having a true facilitator other than LBJ will maximize the efficiency of our new shooters... AD... DMC.

If we didn't have Rondo and Boogie... I don't think we get very far this year. A lot depends on their effort and effectiveness.

I thought you said that the reason that Rondo did so poorly last year was that he gave up on the team. Getting back to the top 30 might be more indicative that he is actually motivated rather than the stats are bad.

Agreed. I want the Lakers to win. Lets hope that the Lakers put it all together.

--Anonymous
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

I think McGee should start...I think it will give better offensive balance. Cousins can have a bigger role on offense with the 2nd unit. Plus with AD and McGee on the court, no one will get a basket in the paint!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Load Management .. new analytics

Rondos numbers with lower amount of minutes??
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Rondo usually rises to the occasion . When he’s playing for something , he usually thrived but when the results don’t matter, he’s checked out. One thing though is he an awkward fit with Lebron. We can’t have 2 players pound the rock looking to make plays. There’s no rhythm to that. Rondo role is basically lead the bench and run the offense when Lebron sits .
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

Our team is pretty deep to me.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rst08tierney wrote:

Yet.

Nice sig

Your rationale came with the appropriate level of spice.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

New roster and salaries, with Bradley, per Basketball Insiders

$37,436,858 LeBron James
$27,093,018 Anthony Davis
$14,634,147 Danny Green
$08,089,282 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
$05,000,000 Luol Deng (stretched)
$04,767,000 Avery Bradley (estimate)
$04,000,000 JaVale McGee
$03,500,000 DeMarcus Cousins
$03,000,000 Quinn Cook
$02,750,000 Alex Caruso
$02,564,753 Rajon Rondo (estimate)
$01,974,600 Kyle Kuzma
$01,620,564 Jared Dudley
$01,620,564 Troy Daniels
Twoway contract Zach Norvell Jr.

$118,050,786 Guaranteed Total:
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Bradley / Caruso /Rondo / Cook
Green / KCP / Daniels
Lebron / Dudley / THT
Davis / Kuz
Cousins / Mcgee

Don't like the rebounding in our bench lineup. I think we should either sign Faried or give Devontae Cacok a roster spot while waiting for Iggy. Then waive Daniels later once we get Iggy.

Cacok's been impressive so far in summer league.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Why is the general consensus around here that McGee gets the starting nod over DMC?

DMC will have the entire summer here to rehab his quad and achilles and get himself in better shape. This is a huge contract year for him so I imagine he'll make that top priority.

McGee doesn't really provide spacing and one of the biggest assets he brought to the lineup last year was his roll gravity in pick and rolls but we have AD this year, making McGee kind of redundant. I like the idea of bringing in McGee off the bench to spell DMC/AD and injecting some energy on both sides of the court.

I know Boogie didn't necessarily shoot the ball very well last year but he is still a capable shooter who can hit the 3 and is more than capable of hitting the 15 footer. He fits much better in the starting lineup IMO

If it was up to me my starting lineup would be:

G: Avery Bradley
G: Danny Green
F: LeBron James
F: Anthony Davis
C: DeMarcus Cousins

I concur on the starting 5

Run a bench of Cook/KCP/____/Kuz/McGee and hopefully Iggy fills in the blank

Keep Rondo, , Daniels, and Dudley for specific sets/injury
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: