Is there any doubt now that Pelinka is a great GM?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Should be noted that of last Summer's much maligned signings, Pelinka brought 3 out of 5 of them back.
Nah broooo.....he's allegedly killed it.

Who should he have signed instead and when and at what terms?

He has nabbed practically every decent free agent (we can argue Rondo and KCP I guess) after Kawhi went rogue.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
trablos wrote:
Meanwhile, the new genius FO across the hall just gave Zubac 28 million dollars...

It was a good move if you understand the salary cap and their salary cap situation moving forward. They used his cap-hold and then went over the cap to sign him using bird rights.

It has 0 impact on their space moving forward and gives them a nice size contract to include in a trade if necessary.

Exactly on the last part, our FO still hasn’t figured out the value of having tradable contracts.

One downside with current roster-- very few tradable contracts or young assets or draft picks.

The FO has punted too many assets prematurely. Randle, Zubac, Bryant, just to name some, are getting pay raises, an indication that they are players on the raise. On the other hand, they acquired players whose market value are decreasing, such as KCP, Rondo, Muscala, an indication that their value was misjudged.

The roster also lacks developmental players. Only Horton-Tucker, and maybe Kuzma. The team lacks pieces to improve from within or from outside even if an opportunity occurs. The best they could hope for is somebody waived to fill the 15th spot.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Should be noted that of last Summer's much maligned signings, Pelinka brought 3 out of 5 of them back.

He has nabbed practically every decent free agent (we can argue Rondo and KCP I guess) after Kawhi went rogue.

Instead of Rondo? Almost anyone. Javale is fine and KCP is understandable, though not at his price. I like the new players we signed, just pointing out that 3 of the 5 players everyone spent a year trashing were brought back only for 2 year deals instead of 1 and we can't trade them without their permission.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Instead of Rondo? Almost anyone. Javale is fine and KCP is understandable, though not at his price. I like the new players we signed, just pointing out that 3 of the 5 players everyone spent a year trashing were brought back only for 2 year deals instead of 1 and we can't trade them without their permission.

Jury's still out, roster looks odd with too many PG/SG type players.
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject:

Pelinka did a great job, i pretty much love all players on our roster, it's going to be very exciting season.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

who do you guys like? these ones were available after the Kawhi signing
Rondae Hollis Jefferson instead of Dudley for min?
Jabari Parker $13m/2yr instead of KCP $16m/2 yr?
Pat McCaw instead of Rondo for min?

that's the only ones I could think of. I think Pelinka did a great job
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject:

He did a great job. Also I think he didnt have anything with Kawhi choosing Flippers. It was more Jeannie , Rambis and Magic.

With post Kawhi decisions he was great. Only player I do not like is KCP. Everything else were great moves by Pelinka. He deserves my support right now. He killed it with Green, Bradley and Boogie on cheap deal.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

The only player I have an issue with is rondo.
That's the only stupid move so far.

KCP got the same type of money others got. KCPs biggest issue was him being the default veteran on the floor and thinking he could go mamba. He's got more vets now who will limit that dumbassery.

Pelinka has don't well.
A-
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
KCP got the same type of money others got. KCPs biggest issue was him being the default veteran on the floor and thinking he could go mamba. He's got more vets now who will limit that dumbassery

Hopefully the new coaching staff can keep him more disciplined.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
Pelinka did a great job, i pretty much love all players on our roster, it's going to be very exciting season.

I agree he did a great job. Only signing I didn’t like was KCP. Although, perhaps they had no idea Avery Bradley would be possible.

Would have preferred to give KCPs money to Morris or Cousins so we have a better chance to keep him next year.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

No offense to Pelinka but I just find it interesting how people’s narratives are so different. When the previous regimen missed on max free agent, everyone said they were incompetent and disgraceful. But when Pelinka missed the max free agents this year, people said it was not his fault. The two max plan might be Magic’s but Pelinka was part of it. We basically traded DLO, Zubac, Clarkson, Nance and let go Randle for Green, KCP, Cook, Daniels and McGee. I didn’t include Cousins because we could still sign him regardless. Is this something he should get praised about?

Now before people jump in and say about the Moz and Deng’s deal, I give credit on what Pelinka has done after missing out KL. He did a nice job. He could have done better but it was not bad. I’m just focusing on the “missing out max free agent” issue.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
No offense to Pelinka but I just find it interesting how people’s narratives are so different. When the previous regimen missed on max free agent, everyone said they were incompetent and disgraceful. But when Pelinka missed the max free agents this year, people said it was not his fault. The two max plan might be Magic’s but Pelinka was part of it. We basically traded DLO, Zubac, Clarkson, Nance and let go Randle for Green, KCP, Cook, Daniels and McGee. I didn’t include Cousins because we could still sign him regardless. Is this something he should get praised about?

Now before people jump in and say about the Moz and Deng’s deal, I give credit on what Pelinka has done after missing out KL. He did a nice job. He could have done better but it was not bad. I’m just focusing on the “missing out max free agent” issue.

The new regime got LeBron and AD tho, a lil better no?
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

You can jump on West and Frank for missing out of a free agent as well. If they were able to secure a free agent without trading the farm for PG13 they would have been incredibly stacked and still have their draft picks for the future.

They had the ability to sign two max guys outright yet no one mentions this. They missed on Butler, KD, Klay, Kemba, Kyrie, and would have missed on KL if OKC said no. Their roster was pretty attractive so now come no one is mentioning how they missed out yet y’all jump down Pelinka’s back yet he was obviously handicapped by Magic/Moz/Deng/JC/Luke/etc when West had Lawrence Frank/Winger/Doc/Ballmer/and didn’t have the same bad contracts the Lakers had. On top of that, “no one wants to help to the Lakers.”
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

There was a lot of discussion about why Lebron chose to sign with us. I think we can believe what we want to believe instead of wasting time to debate it all over again. Besides there is a new idea about if we didn’t sign Lebron, we might be the one having PG13 and KL now.

To be honest, I’m not very impressed with the AD trade. We didn’t get him for cheap. We paid what’s necessary, I even think we overpaid. Ainge could have got him. Suns and the 76ers all had the asset to trade for AD. They chose not to take the risk while Pelinka took it. The previous regimen probably would be able to trade for AD either given that they would have the asset to.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

There was a lot of discussion about why Lebron chose to sign with us. I think we can believe what we want to believe instead of wasting time to debate it all over again. Besides there is a new idea about if we didn’t sign Lebron, we might be the one having PG13 and KL now.

To be honest, I’m not very impressed with the AD trade. We didn’t get him for cheap. We paid what’s necessary, I even think we overpaid. Ainge could have got him. Suns and the 76ers all had the asset to trade for AD. They chose not to take the risk while Pelinka took it. The previous regimen probably would be able to trade for AD either given that they would have the asset to.

The previous regime would have probably overpaid as their job probably would of been on the line as well. In a vacuum, sure we overpaid. But faced with 6 years of not being in the playoffs and Lebron’s timeline, we could not afford to lose.

We should of hired Griffin as our POBO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

KCP got the same type of money others got. KCPs biggest issue was him being the default veteran on the floor and thinking he could go mamba. He's got more vets now who will limit that dumbassery.

Pelinka has don't well.
A-

I would say that Rondo and Cousins were unnecessary signings.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
trablos wrote:
Meanwhile, the new genius FO across the hall just gave Zubac 28 million dollars...

It was a good move if you understand the salary cap and their salary cap situation moving forward. They used his cap-hold and then went over the cap to sign him using bird rights.

It has 0 impact on their space moving forward and gives them a nice size contract to include in a trade if necessary.

Exactly on the last part, our FO still hasn’t figured out the value of having tradable contracts.

One downside with current roster-- very few tradable contracts or young assets or draft picks.

The FO has punted too many assets prematurely. Randle, Zubac, Bryant, just to name some, are getting pay raises, an indication that they are players on the raise. On the other hand, they acquired players whose market value are decreasing, such as KCP, Rondo, Muscala, an indication that their value was misjudged.

The roster also lacks developmental players. Only Horton-Tucker, and maybe Kuzma. The team lacks pieces to improve from within or from outside even if an opportunity occurs. The best they could hope for is somebody waived to fill the 15th spot.

Your last paragraph I agree with.

The rest is meh. Acquiring KCP should not be compared with acquiring Muscala. Two different animals.
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

The consensus going into FA was to NOT to max any player other than Kawhi though. Looking at it as a black and white did we get a third “max free agent” doesn’t make a ton of sense in that context. With AD and Lebron already making us top heavy, simply getting a third “max player” was not really the goal.. Kawhi was a different animal.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

Plan: 2 max + young guys

then Kawhi becomes FA... and he says 'I'll meet with you and consider Lakers'

Do you automatically say no or do you take a chance?

It's a Kawhi, as snaky as we found now, we gotta take the chance
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Agree you take a chance on Kawhi.

But you draw a line and allow yourself to pivot to a plan B, imo.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:

isn't that what happened
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Pelinka has don't well.
A-

I would say that Rondo and Cousins were unnecessary signings.

I understand the logic on Cousins, to an extent, as a hedge on another volatile asset in McGee, but wish there was a safer, more boring option available. It just seems like this org is addicted to gambling (perhaps the Buss legacy).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:

isn't that what happened

Nope
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:

isn't that what happened

Nope

So your plan B is overpaying for X players that were already gone long before any reasonable “line”. OK.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:

isn't that what happened

Nope

So your plan B is overpaying for X players that were already gone long before any reasonable “line”. OK.

Better than overpaying for X players from a bare cupboard out of desperation after striking out.

Last edited by dabask11 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 18 of 21
Jump to: