Is there any doubt now that Pelinka is a great GM?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Should be noted that of last Summer's much maligned signings, Pelinka brought 3 out of 5 of them back.
Nah broooo.....he's allegedly killed it.

Who should he have signed instead and when and at what terms?

He has nabbed practically every decent free agent (we can argue Rondo and KCP I guess) after Kawhi went rogue.
I just didn't like the signings made after all the better players signed. Not saying all the players signed were bad. Avery Bradley was a good signing imo. Everyone else at the price and some terms given, especially guys like Green and KCP were marginal. I was not a Kawhi or bust guy. Even though I think he was easily the best FA available. I just thought our chances of landing him were slim to none.

So to say Pelinka killed it, nah. He struck out in free agency imo. But to say he failed would be wrong too. He got us AD which was great but everything else after that with the cap we had remaining was average.

So in other words, you don't have anyone else you would have signed for a different number than how it played out?

Remember, many other teams were also looking to sign many of these guys.

I am not saying Pelinka is the next Jerry West, but the criticisms on him are for the most part unfounded in my opinion.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
No offense to Pelinka but I just find it interesting how people’s narratives are so different. When the previous regimen missed on max free agent, everyone said they were incompetent and disgraceful. But when Pelinka missed the max free agents this year, people said it was not his fault. The two max plan might be Magic’s but Pelinka was part of it. We basically traded DLO, Zubac, Clarkson, Nance and let go Randle for Green, KCP, Cook, Daniels and McGee. I didn’t include Cousins because we could still sign him regardless. Is this something he should get praised about?

Now before people jump in and say about the Moz and Deng’s deal, I give credit on what Pelinka has done after missing out KL. He did a nice job. He could have done better but it was not bad. I’m just focusing on the “missing out max free agent” issue.

The consensus going into FA was to NOT to max any player other than Kawhi though. Looking at it as a black and white did we get a third “max free agent” doesn’t make a ton of sense in that context. With AD and Lebron already making us top heavy, simply getting a third “max player” was not really the goal.. Kawhi was a different animal.

Im not sure if that’s the consensus. I believe KL was the one to go after first but many people wanted to offer max to Irving and Butler too. The plan has always been signing two max from the free agency ever since DLO was traded. Signing two max free agents was the plan. Trading for one was a bonus. Could the previous regimen traded DLO, Randle, Ingram and multiple 1st round picks for a star player? I’m pretty sure they could but they didn’t what to.

What you are saying exactly proves my point. It is ok for Pelinka to miss out max free agent despite losing asset to create cap space.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
No offense to Pelinka but I just find it interesting how people’s narratives are so different. When the previous regimen missed on max free agent, everyone said they were incompetent and disgraceful. But when Pelinka missed the max free agents this year, people said it was not his fault. The two max plan might be Magic’s but Pelinka was part of it. We basically traded DLO, Zubac, Clarkson, Nance and let go Randle for Green, KCP, Cook, Daniels and McGee. I didn’t include Cousins because we could still sign him regardless. Is this something he should get praised about?

Now before people jump in and say about the Moz and Deng’s deal, I give credit on what Pelinka has done after missing out KL. He did a nice job. He could have done better but it was not bad. I’m just focusing on the “missing out max free agent” issue.

The consensus going into FA was to NOT to max any player other than Kawhi though. Looking at it as a black and white did we get a third “max free agent” doesn’t make a ton of sense in that context. With AD and Lebron already making us top heavy, simply getting a third “max player” was not really the goal.. Kawhi was a different animal.

Im not sure if that’s the consensus. I believe KL was the one to go after first but many people wanted to offer max to Irving and Butler too. The plan has always been signing two max from the free agency ever since DLO was traded. Signing two max free agents was the plan. Trading for one was a bonus. Could the previous regimen traded DLO, Randle, Ingram and multiple 1st round picks for a star player? I’m pretty sure they could but they didn’t what to.

What you are saying exactly proves my point. People accept Pelinka to miss out max free agent despite losing asset to create cap space. If last year, people told you Lakers didn’t resign Randle and traded DLO for KCP, Green etc. How would you react?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

It's laughable how some of us speak about situations we wish could have happened, or what the team should have done, when there is so much going on behind the scenes we don't even think about. Came across this really humbling article about just how damn hard it is running a team and making a thousand little decisions with lots of people involved.

Quote:
MANY EXECUTIVES ARE INVOLVED BEHIND THE SCENES

An NBA front office consists of many different employees – all of whom are working together to build the best team possible. The general manager is the figurehead of the front office, but there are many people involved in every transaction.

Former Eastern Conference general manager: “When you’re preparing to make a big move, you’re talking to everyone – from the assistant general manager to the other personnel people to the analytics staff to the medical staff (your trainers and doctors). You’re going back over their psychological testing and all of your intel. Everyone plays a part and a whole lot goes into it. You talk to your head coach about it and you talk to your owner about it. If the owner signs off on it, the GM ultimately makes the decision, but it’s after gathering all of that information from everybody else who’s involved.”

Western Conference executive: “When you’re just working in a front office, you don’t feel the public pressure that the general manager and president of basketball operations feel. We’ll be going back and forth, debating about two free agents we could target and I’m thinking, ‘There’s no pressure on me at all. I’m just weighing in on these guys. I don’t have to make the final decision.’ (laughs) When you’re the one making the choice and receiving all of the blame if it goes wrong, it’s much harder and much more stressful.”

Definitely a great read that gives a glimpse of the preparation and planning that every single team must endure.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/07/08/nba-executives-give-behind-the-scenes-look-at-free-agency-this-is-a-year-round-recruitment/
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

What you are saying exactly proves my point. People accept Pelinka to miss out max free agent despite losing asset to create cap space. If last year, people told you Lakers didn’t resign Randle and traded DLO for KCP, Green etc. How would you react?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Should be noted that of last Summer's much maligned signings, Pelinka brought 3 out of 5 of them back.

He has nabbed practically every decent free agent (we can argue Rondo and KCP I guess) after Kawhi went rogue.
I just didn't like the signings made after all the better players signed. Not saying all the players signed were bad. Avery Bradley was a good signing imo. Everyone else at the price and some terms given, especially guys like Green and KCP were marginal. I was not a Kawhi or bust guy. Even though I think he was easily the best FA available. I just thought our chances of landing him were slim to none.

So to say Pelinka killed it, nah. He struck out in free agency imo. But to say he failed would be wrong too. He got us AD which was great but everything else after that with the cap we had remaining was average.

So in other words, you don't have anyone else you would have signed for a different number than how it played out?

Remember, many other teams were also looking to sign many of these guys.

I am not saying Pelinka is the next Jerry West, but the criticisms on him are for the most part unfounded in my opinion.
Fair enough.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
It's laughable how some of us speak about situations we wish could have happened, or what the team should have done, when there is so much going on behind the scenes we don't even think about. Came across this really humbling article about just how damn hard it is running a team and making a thousand little decisions with lots of people involved.

Quote:

An NBA front office consists of many different employees – all of whom are working together to build the best team possible. The general manager is the figurehead of the front office, but there are many people involved in every transaction.

Former Eastern Conference general manager: “When you’re preparing to make a big move, you’re talking to everyone – from the assistant general manager to the other personnel people to the analytics staff to the medical staff (your trainers and doctors). You’re going back over their psychological testing and all of your intel. Everyone plays a part and a whole lot goes into it. You talk to your head coach about it and you talk to your owner about it. If the owner signs off on it, the GM ultimately makes the decision, but it’s after gathering all of that information from everybody else who’s involved.”

Western Conference executive: “When you’re just working in a front office, you don’t feel the public pressure that the general manager and president of basketball operations feel. We’ll be going back and forth, debating about two free agents we could target and I’m thinking, ‘There’s no pressure on me at all. I’m just weighing in on these guys. I don’t have to make the final decision.’ (laughs) When you’re the one making the choice and receiving all of the blame if it goes wrong, it’s much harder and much more stressful.”

Definitely a great read that gives a glimpse of the preparation and planning that every single team must endure.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/07/08/nba-executives-give-behind-the-scenes-look-at-free-agency-this-is-a-year-round-recruitment/

Which just shows why everyone was screaming for the FO and Jeanie to bring someone experienced like david griffin, who then brings in more experienced people and helps makes the process much more manageable.

Instead we have pelinka being thrown into fire with a poor reputation along with rambis who's shown to be incompetent on many levels. That sad thing is if Jeanie wanted to keep them around, she could have still done so while adding more experienced personnel.
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Front-office failed by not signing a max FA with out capspace after trading all of our assets.

They didn't failed, we still have enough flexibility moving forward.

Most players are on two-year deals, so we will have chance to go after Giannis or Beal in 2021, until then this current roster can compete for back-to-back championships.

Plus i would keep my eye on Westbrook, depending where he gets traded and how things unfold, maybe we can get him next year if his new team is willing to exchange him for some of our players not named Lebron or AD.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

The more I think about it, the better I think Pelinka did this offseason. My biggest complaint is not grabbing a wing to match up against Kawhi or PG defensively (a Marcus Morris type) but the market was thin.

Worst signing is KCP but I'm not sure people planned Bradley to come, and without him we probably needed a guy like KCP.

If he gets us Iggy (seems unlikely at this point) then I'd be extremely happy with the offseason.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

toffee wrote:

Most players are on two-year deals, so we will have chance to go after Giannis or Beal in 2021, until then this current roster can compete for back-to-back championships.

For Lakers to have max room, Lebron would need to opt-out and then resign for a deal around $23m a year (giving up $18m).

If he does that, is a team with AD, Beal, Kuzma, grandpa Lebron and all min players a championship contender?

Is that team really much more talented than any of the Pelican teams AD was on?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The more I think about it, the better I think Pelinka did this offseason. My biggest complaint is not grabbing a wing to match up against Kawhi or PG defensively (a Marcus Morris type) but the market was thin.

Worst signing is KCP but I'm not sure people planned Bradley to come, and without him we probably needed a guy like KCP.

If he gets us Iggy (seems unlikely at this point) then I'd be extremely happy with the offseason.

Yeah, if we could have traded KCP for Marcus Morris it would have been a perfect Plan B for Pelinka
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
toffee wrote:

For Lakers to have max room, Lebron would need to opt-out and then resign for a deal around $23m a year (giving up $18m).

If he does that, is a team with AD, Beal, Kuzma, grandpa Lebron and all min players a championship contender?

Is that team really much more talented than any of the Pelican teams AD was on?

Yes, i think that Lebron is probably opting out and then resigning with us for two or three more years, if Giannis wants to come, then it's reasonable to think that Lebron would structure his new deal in order to make room for Greek Freak.

Beal is very nice player, i think he would be great plan B and that he fits perfectly with AD, Kuzma and older Lebron.

I'm also keeping my eye on Westbrook and where will he end up if he gets traded before the season, because down the line his new team might be willing to deal with us if they decide to get rid of last three years of Russ contract in exchange for some of our players on short-term deals and a pick or two.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject:

He was fantastically prepared for Kawhi decisions and thats is big thing. He didnt panic and he make the moves immediately.
It is easy to see that he had everything in place and ready. I like that a lot and it gives me confidence about him as our GM.
If just Magic doesn't have big mouth it would be great. I am glad he is gone.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
trablos wrote:

Quote:

Which just shows why everyone was screaming for the FO and Jeanie to bring someone experienced like david griffin, who then brings in more experienced people and helps makes the process much more manageable.

Instead we have pelinka being thrown into fire with a poor reputation along with rambis who's shown to be incompetent on many levels. That sad thing is if Jeanie wanted to keep them around, she could have still done so while adding more experienced personnel.

This article shows why you can't have a celebrity such as Magic running a team. It's definitely a full time job that needs years of experience. All those detailed preparations consume a lot of time and energy, and require the decision maker to be open minded.

Jim Buss acted in a short-sighted manner because he was under pressure to keep his position. I am under the impression that Pelinka does too.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:

This article shows why you can't have a celebrity such as Magic running a team. It's definitely a full time job that needs years of experience. All those detailed preparations consume a lot of time and energy, and require the decision maker to be open minded.

Jim Buss acted in a short-sighted manner because he was under pressure to keep his position. I am under the impression that Pelinka does too.

Different situations. Jimbo knew Jeanie's finger was on the trigger as far as he was concerned. On the other hand, she seems pretty enamored of Pelinka and increased his power/influence after the Magic debacle.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LaxT wrote:

Different situations. Jimbo knew Jeanie's finger was on the trigger as far as he was concerned. On the other hand, she seems pretty enamored of Pelinka and increased his power/influence after the Magic debacle.

The FO has turned like ten years of 1st rounders into AD the recent signings of veteran. Pelinka is definitely under pressure to win now. If the Lakers win the trophy or the Western Conference, he will be fine. Otherwise, watch out.

Even if he stays as GM one year from now, the task will only become more difficult. Very limited tools to meet a sky high expectation.

Last edited by LaxT on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
trablos wrote:

Quote:

I believe hiring Magic in the FO was a move to fulfill the wish of the late Dr. Buss. He always wanted Magic to have a role. The problem is Dr. Buss isn't there to act as a mentor anymore. Magic just wasn't suited for the job as he's wearing too many hats now.

The Buss family has always been cheap when it comes to hiring FO personnel. Dr. Buss even declined Jerry West when he asked for a much deserved raise. I highly doubt he would've hired Magic at $10M per year like Jeannie did.

Dr. Buss believed in finding competent people on a value contract, and getting out of their way. I think Griffin is the kind of guy Dr. Buss would've hired, personally. He has decades of experience and I've been impressed with his moves this summer
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

We’ve given up too much in AD trade, unless we wanted unload all contracts. Pelicans couldn’t have a better offer: 2 #2 fit well with Zion, 1 #4 and a lot of picks
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
We’ve given up too much in AD trade, unless we wanted unload all contracts. Pelicans couldn’t have a better offer: 2 #2 fit well with Zion, 1 #4 and a lot of picks

That's the price for a 26 year old all-nba player. I wish we could've kept Lonzo or Ingram but unfortunately their values were low due to health concerns.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:

The FO has turned like ten years of 1st rounders into AD the recent signings of veteran. Pelinka is definitely under pressure to win now. If the Lakers win the trophy or the Western Conference, he will be fine. Otherwise, watch out.

Even if he stays as GM one year from now, the task will only become more difficult. Very limited tools to meet a sky high expectation.

This doesn't have anything to do with Pelinka. It's because Lebron is in a rush to win before he gets too old.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LaxT wrote:

This doesn't have anything to do with Pelinka. It's because Lebron is in a rush to win before he gets too old.

Me too. It has been 10 years. Win now - I am not getting any younger.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
trablos wrote:

Quote:

It all comes from the vision at the top and the executives execute that vision. We have no “top”.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
trablos wrote:

Quote:

It all comes from the vision at the top and the executives execute that vision. We have no “top”.

That's a lie.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LaxT wrote:

Was Pelinka under the impression Lebron wouldn’t be in a rush to win before he gets too old when he was recruited and acquired???
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Instead of Rondo? Almost anyone. Javale is fine and KCP is understandable, though not at his price. I like the new players we signed, just pointing out that 3 of the 5 players everyone spent a year trashing were brought back only for 2 year deals instead of 1 and we can't trade them without their permission.

Pelinka signing 3 of the 5 is not automatically a bad strike against him. I’ll Provide a little more context. If he just signed the 3 then ok you would be right. But that’s not what happened.

IMO Rondo, KCP, Kuzma, McGee were integral parts of the team that was 4th in the West after 20+ games. The problem that may have kept them out of the playoffs was lack of depth. Pelinka didn’t just bring the team back, he brought the team back as bench players instead of starters upgrading every position played except for LeBron.

So those guys are actually really good for their roles, reserves for mostly cheap except KCP.
Cousins + McGee
AD + Kuzma
Green + KCP
Bradly/Cook + Rondo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21
Jump to: