How getting Lebron cost this franchise multiple championships
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Guys don't forget that KL wants to live in LA and he is young...what does that mean?? That KL may eventually come to the Lakers...but likely after Lebron leaves.

Of course, we will tell him we are interested. keep him posted. Will need more time. And dump him after we get what we want.

LOL, I love it! We could have his Uncle meet with Magic...
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Though there might still be a longshot possibility at a dynasty even with our current squad, I feel the window of opportunity was missed the day Jeanie chose Magic over West.

Hindsight 20-20 and all, but I was one of the posters saying that Lebron needed the Lakers way more than the Lakers needed him and I got chewed up at the time for thinking that way. At the end of the day, it takes someone like Jerry West to have the nerve to pass on signing an all time great like Lebron, realizing that his window doesn't align with the timeline of our burgeoning talent and that we have a greater opportunity at a dynasty by adding talents like Paul George and maybe a Kawhi, rather than subtracting talent i.e. trading the core away for another superstar.

I strongly feel that had we prioritized Paul George and created a better relationship with his agent, we would have at least had a meeting with PG13.

Best case scenario of what we could have had prior to signing Lebron (hindsight 2020 post):
- Keep Randle, even at 12.5mill a year with a player option for second year, it is worth the risk
- Read the free agent market better.. if you have a chance at Kawhi and your research tells you it might be at the expense of Lebron, then you choose Kawhi all day given his timeline and lack of baggage compared to Lebron
- Keep Lopez
- Draft Mitch Robinson over Wagner (sthg I genuinely thought we were going to do given the rumors)
- Sign Seth Curry with the room exception
- Hold onto Luol Deng for another year even if it means playing him a few minutes here and there.. he becomes easier to trade towards the trade deadline to a team with cap space (we could have done what Brooklyn did with Allen Crabbe, throwing in two 1st round picks i.e. 2019 and 2021)
- Keep T Bryant
- Trade Zubac for a 2nd round pick if necessary (too many centers)

Here is what we could have potentially had:

C - Lopez, M Robinson, T Bryant
F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

I like our current squad but the dream squad I have above was attainable, sustainable for future titles and would have been easier to get behind! I could see this squad being formed if we had the great Jerry West rather than Magic, but maybe that's just me.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
Though there might still be a longshot possibility at a dynasty even with our current squad, I feel the window of opportunity was missed the day Jeanie chose Magic over West.

Hindsight 20-20 and all, but I was one of the posters saying that Lebron needed the Lakers way more than the Lakers needed him and I got chewed up at the time for thinking that way. At the end of the day, it takes someone like Jerry West to have the nerve to pass on signing an all time great like Lebron, realizing that his window doesn't align with the timeline of our burgeoning talent and that we have a greater opportunity at a dynasty by adding talents like Paul George and maybe a Kawhi, rather than subtracting talent i.e. trading the core away for another superstar.

I strongly feel that had we prioritized Paul George and created a better relationship with his agent, we would have at least had a meeting with PG13.

Best case scenario of what we could have had prior to signing Lebron (hindsight 2020 post):
- Keep Randle, even at 12.5mill a year with a player option for second year, it is worth the risk
- Read the free agent market better.. if you have a chance at Kawhi and your research tells you it might be at the expense of Lebron, then you choose Kawhi all day given his timeline and lack of baggage compared to Lebron
- Keep Lopez
- Draft Mitch Robinson over Wagner (sthg I genuinely thought we were going to do given the rumors)
- Hold onto Luol Deng for another year even if it means playing him a few minutes here and there.. he becomes easier to trade towards the trade deadline to a team with cap space (we could have done what Brooklyn did with Allen Crabbe, throwing in two 1st round picks i.e. 2019 and 2021)
- Keep T Bryant

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

I like our current squad but the dream squad I have above was attainable, sustainable for future titles and would have been easier to get behind! I could see this squad being formed if we had the great Jerry West rather than Magic, but maybe that's just me.

That squad brings tears to my eyes.

What could have been...
lonesoul
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

- Keep Lopez
- Keep T Bryant

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

I never knew this site was full of psychics and mind readers. You can't say 20/20 when there are no stats to back up the players that you dream of. Bunch of Lavar Balls trying to speak fantasies into existence.

My dream line up is the one we currently have. One of the top 5 of all time paired with one of the top 5 players in the league today with a bunch of nice veterans and role players.

Can't wait to see this dream line up earn a championship or 2 instead of doing it with a super mega team. My dream is to see the Lakers get 18 before I die. That is the dream I want fulfilled.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

- Keep Lopez
- Keep T Bryant

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

That squad brings tears to my eyes.

What could have been...

An in an alternate universe, Jordan’s jersey is hanging in the rafters of the renovated Forum.
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

Why is that dream squad, what's so special about Ball, Ingram and Randle, we already had enough time to see them and none of them was special.

Lebron and Davis are much better than Kawhi and PG13, so basically our current squad is much better than this hypothetical "dream squad".

Real dream squad would be something like Davis, Giannis, Kuzma and Lebron in 2021 with good role players, only pairing of AD and Greek Freak can reach the level of "dream squad".
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Guys don't forget that KL wants to live in LA and he is young...what does that mean?? That KL may eventually come to the Lakers...but likely after Lebron leaves.

Of course, we will tell him we are interested. keep him posted. Will need more time. And dump him after we get what we want.

LOL, I love it! We could have his Uncle meet with Magic...

30-31 year old Kawhi can go suck it. He did us dirty. No need to go through that again. San Antonio fans went through torture with him. We don’t need that.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: How getting Lebron cost this franchise multiple championships

Snipes wrote:
This isn't a Lebron bash thread. All the power to Lebron, his career and his future with us.

This isn't a Jeanie/Rob/Magic bash thread either. Although they clearly made a bunch of mistakes - a lot of idiots felt that getting Lebron was a great move for this franchise. So I'm not going to completely bash them and I really don't need to because it is evident that our FO is a huge mess. Maybe AD and LBJ will be enough to bring us a ring but it's going to be difficult when it never had to be.

The plan going into last year was very simple. This is exactly what I would have done and SHOULD have been done. Now a lot of you will say "well how do you know x would have come here" or "you can't say we would still get x without x". But the writing is on the wall. This team was possible and we had all the tools to get it done.

So how did we mess this up?

Jeanie/Magic/Rob went after Lebron. Going into the offseason there were murmurs that Lebron was the #1 FA and the #1 guy the Lakers wanted along with another superstar. We thought we were getting Lebron & PG. We only got Lebron. I believe we should have never gone after Lebron. His needs and age just did not match up or align with our team.

Soon as we signed Lebron - PG decides to stay in OKC. I don't care what anyone says, PG stayed with OKC because he did not want to be a part of the Lebron parade. Not many players do. A lot of people were bashing PG but I put no blame on him for choosing OKC. He rather prove to everyone he is the man on OKC (which he was this year) rather than play second fiddle to Lebron. The Kawhi rumours were already under way...

Here's what you do if you're the Lakers.

It's obvious certain guys DON'T want to play with LBJ. One of them was Kawhi - this was made obvious last year when he said he doesn't want to play w Lebron he wants to BEAT Lebron.

You sign PG - ignore Lebron. Let the 34 year attention whore go somewhere else.

You whiff on Kawhi trade because of Pop's demands but understand KL is coming next year to play for the Lakers.

Mid-season you do the AD trade - or wait it out like you did this till this summer.

We trade for AD this summer - KL signs with us and we had PG from the year prior.

AD
PG
KL

3 of the best two way players the game has to offer and all under 30. Game - set - match.

THis combo is MUCH better than LBJ/KL/AD and wins for years to come.

Instead we have AD/LBJ. Big difference. This was an easy slam dunk for us but we screwed it up by going after the biggest name in Lebron James.

This
Is
NOT
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

Why is that dream squad, what's so special about Ball, Ingram and Randle, we already had enough time to see them and none of them was special.

Lebron and Davis are much better than Kawhi and PG13, so basically our current squad is much better than this hypothetical "dream squad".

Real dream squad would be something like Davis, Giannis, Kuzma and Lebron in 2021 with good role players, only pairing of AD and Greek Freak can reach the level of "dream squad".

Honestly I gave our young all the benefit of the doubt and more. I'm way more patient and forgiving than most people on this board but even I had had enough by the end of last season. FO had no choice but to blow it up.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject:

Interesting. But what if KL just wanted to be with his childhood team, the Clippers. Then we wouldn't have LeBron or KL or PG and we be a lottery team, again.

There is no guarantee in the decision not made, so, we potentially lost nothing but we gained a ticket out of the lottery.

It seems to me that assuming KL would have come if LeBron was not here is one big IF.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject:

There is a lot of fantasy in here. We could have had a team with PG and Kawhi--or we could have had a team with neither of them.

A team with Lopez, Randle, Ingram, Hart, and Ball would be fun, but it would be a longshot to win any championships.

Instead, we have two of the top players in the NBA for the coming season surrounded by a cast of veterans that fit well with them. Plus, we will have a ton of cap space in 2021 to add to the mix. I think we are doing fine.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

C - Boogie, McGee
F - AD, Kuz
F - LBJ, KCP, Dudley
G - Green, Cook, Daniel
G - Avery, Rondo, Caruso

This team looks way better to me. Starter alone is a better version, We have shooting and def than ur dream lineup.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:

After seeing how PG13 behaved, how can anyone believe he would have joined the Lakers by himself last summer. He's a follower, not a leader. No way he joins this team last year. He hung on the coattails of WB, and a year later forced his way to hang on KL's coattails. He would have wanted out with last year's squad.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

C - Mozgov, M Robinson, (T Bryant - Moz trade so no)
F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, (Hart Moz trade, no)
G - DLo, Ball (might be Tatum since Fultz/Ball are also PGs), Curry, Caruso
2019 1st rd pick

This is quite a fantasy tho, PG13 didn't even give Lakers a meeting, smitten by Westbrook then left him at the altar.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

After seeing how PG13 behaved, how can anyone believe he would have joined the Lakers by himself last summer. He's a follower, not a leader. No way he joins this team last year. He hung on the coattails of WB, and a year later forced his way to hang on KL's coattails. He would have wanted out with last year's squad.
PG13 & KL are both snakes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

KL, I have not as many problems with. I respect what he did. He didn't want to follow. Lakers did everything possible to give him a strong presentation (i.e. adding AD).

PG, that dude is a feeble minded follower who is a complete snake. I was a huge supporter of his until he spit in our face last year. To see people pining for him while blaming LBJ (who actually took on the challenge) is just a joke to be honest. There is no way he would have taken the mantle last year with just the yutes. He's not that kind of person/leader.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

I might be rationalizing to make myself feel better about not landing Kawhi but I somewhat agree with the sentiment that our current squad is better than my hypothetical 'dream' squad.

First of all, as another poster alluded, given what we've seen of Kawhi there is no reason to be assured that he would have ended up a Laker. He has shown that he could say one thing but be working on something completely different in the background. So I get it.

Would I have liked to see us build this a bit more organically and keeping a 5-10 year window of opportunity open by keeping the young guys? Absolutely!

My main concern with the current team is that we may be able to pull off one maybe 2 titles at best given Lebron's age. I hope I am wrong and we land an additional star to pair with AD after 2021. Maybe Boogie stays for the long haul and develops into a better version of himself pre-Achilles tear.

I am riding with this team regardless but I like the long term outlook of my dream 'hypothetical' team. Note that with the hypothetical team, there is still a chance of trading say Ingram, Randle, M Robinson, Hart and future picks for AD. Just saying...
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

KL, I have not as many problems with. I respect what he did. He didn't want to follow. Lakers did everything possible to give him a strong presentation (i.e. adding AD).

PG, that dude is a feeble minded follower who is a complete snake. I was a huge supporter of his until he spit in our face last year. To see people pining for him while blaming LBJ (who actually took on the challenge) is just a joke to be honest. There is no way he would have taken the mantle last year with just the yutes. He's not that kind of person/leader.

I think you should reconsider who Lakers fans should consider more of a snake. PG may have chickened out from the challenge and/or changed his mind about staying in OKC... but that does not make one a "snake" as far as we are concerned... especially since he did not string us along or make us wait on him after the FA window opened. What makes one a snake IMO... is pretending to be interested in joining a team, making them wait for you and pass up on other good options in the market as you supposedly "evaluate" all offers you have, all the while you are scrambling around trying to actively recruit other players to join you at another team. To us, Lakers fans, there is more of a case to consider #2 a snake than Paula because #2's actions appear to have been wilfully designed to also impact us negatively.

Anyway, I don't want either now... just simply pointing out it is totally fine for others to think Kawhi is more of a snake and that they need not respect his actions either. We can respect the choice to join the Dippers, but don't need to (and shouldn't) respect how he went about it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

I gotta agree. Lebron cost us multiple championships. Multiple summer league championships. Him being here shortened the time table. So last year's kids had to be added to trades as well. We could have been an SL contender. We could have won it all in the summer. Woe is me. We will never forgive you Lebron for taking away our summer rings. Boo hoo!!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I think you should reconsider who Lakers fans should consider more of a snake. PG may have chickened out from the challenge and/or changed his mind about staying in OKC... but that does not make one a "snake" as far as we are concerned... especially since he did not string us along or make us wait on him after the FA window opened. What makes one a snake IMO... is pretending to be interested in joining a team, making them wait for you and pass up on other good options in the market as you supposedly "evaluate" all offers you have, all the while you are scrambling around trying to actively recruit other players to join you at another team. To us, Lakers fans, there is more of a case to consider #2 a snake than Paula because #2's actions appear to have been wilfully designed to also impact us negatively.

Anyway, I don't want either now... just simply pointing out it is totally fine for others to think Kawhi is more of a snake and that they need not respect his actions either. We can respect the choice to join the Dippers, but don't need to (and shouldn't) respect how he went about it.

I think we were KL's fall back plan if the Clips couldn't get a star next to him.

I wouldn't necessarily say that he had no intention. He actually used us as leverage against the Clips to cough up 347 draft picks to get PG.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

Don’t understand Laker Gripe, u have two top 5 players who wanted to be here, but still we regret players that didn’t even gave us a chance to talk (PG) and a snake that have no intention of signing here (KL). When we signed the players that wanted to be Lakers. Just shaking me head.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

F - Kawhi, Randle
F - PG13, Kuzma, Svi
G - Ingram, Hart
G - Ball, Curry, Caruso

C - Boogie, McGee
F - AD, Kuz
F - LBJ, KCP, Dudley
G - Green, Cook, Daniel
G - Avery, Rondo, Caruso

This team looks way better to me. Starter alone is a better version, We have shooting and def than ur dream lineup.

We could have potentially had none of Boogie, KL, PG, LBJ....the world of "IF's" is incredible.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I gotta agree. Lebron cost us multiple championships. Multiple summer league championships. Him being here shortened the time table. So last year's kids had to be added to trades as well. We could have been an SL contender. We could have won it all in the summer. Woe is me. We will never forgive you Lebron for taking away our summer rings. Boo hoo!!!!

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

This is a thread for the people who were in love with the kids.

For rational human beings, this thread is ridiculous.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
This is a thread for the people who were in love with the kids.

For rational human beings, this thread is ridiculous.

It's fair to disagree... but the argument is that the other lineup in whatever incarnation that was feasible... was more sustainable.

This year should be good. I think those who liked the young core even conceded that you could put good vets around LBJ and AD.

Where the problem lies is a smooth transition to having AD paired with a second star.

IF LBJ leaves gracefully... I think you guys who wanted the quick fix might be right. If he drags on like Kobe... like Chris Paul saddled the Rockets... it won't be pretty.

One method is cash in everything for now... and it could work this year, but maybe not so much in the future.

The other method would have been less impactful, but more flexible and more sustainable.

To call one rational and one irrational is a gross oversimplification.

They were both viable paths and we will find out the truth in three or four years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: